1000 Lancaster Street
Baltimore, MD 21202Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.charlestonrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4103327373x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday – Saturday: 5:30pm – 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Low Country, American, French
- Executive Chef: Cindy Wolf
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Charleston
Tony Foreman & Cindy Wolf's Charleston is located on the waterfront in the burgeoning Harbor East neighborhood. Chef Cindy Wolf is a three-time finalist for Best-Chef, Mid-Atlantic by The James Beard Foundation. Her award-winning, contemporary cuisine is rooted in the regional cuisine of France and traditions of the "Low Country" area of South Carolina. Chef Wolf's commitment to fresh, local, seasonal products is reflected in the prix fixe tasting menu, which changes daily. The menu is complemented by an award winning wine list of more than 700 fine wines, which are displayed in the wine library and are chosen by co-owner and wine director, Tony Foreman. An elegant yet comfortable ambiance & luxurious service complete the extraordinary dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Charleston - Best Restaurants in Harbor East ›
Charleston reviews from OpenTable diners
213 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (190)fit for foodies (163)romantic (152)notable wine list (149)scenic view (29)neighborhood gem (26)good for groups (18)hot spot (10)vibrant bar scene (7)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- ExcellentSean4foodDined on 10/23/2014Took my wife here for her birthday. The restaurant service was absolutely first rate and the food was delicious and extremely well prepared. I Recommend Charleston for any special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnbelievableFacarpVIPDined on 10/21/2014Beautiful atmosphere, incredible food and amazing staff. Our evening at Charlston far exceeded our expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/20/2014Excellent food. I would highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:
- great, great restaurantDaisy4648Dined on 10/20/2014this restaurant exceeded the hype associated with this fine establishment. From the moment we arrived everything was perfect. My husband requested water with no ice. Each time they refilled his glass they remembered no ice. That is attention to detail! We did the 3 course menu and everything was superb. The shrimp and grits is heavenly. Great wine list -- it's a book. We had a superb Margeaux.Special Features:
- The best!ChristyOdinesDined on 10/18/2014This has been by far my favorite restaurant - the food is just amazing! I would suggest the prefix menu where you choose 3, 4, 5, or 6 courses paired with wine. The 5 courses was a bit too much for me so I recommend the 4 courses with wine pairing. It is a beautiful and tasteful place - great for a special occasion!Special Features:
- wonderful mealKlofalVIPDined on 10/16/2014We were dining here for our fourth anniversary and it was wonderful. The staff is really delightful and the food was delicious and very interesting. The lobster curry soup is spectacular and the sherry pairing was spot-on. It's not on the menu but the restaurant provides an amuse bouche and after dinner chocolates in addition to the meal, which really adds to the event and shows off the creativity in the kitchen. This is the first restaurant where I've had a view of the kitchen and not winced; their kitchen is beautifully arranged and very organized so it really adds to the atmosphere.Special Features:
- Absolutely superbOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/15/2014Charleston never disappoints. Wonderful service, wonderful and imaginative fare. Wine pairings are amazing!Special Features:
- Wonderful!southfloridafoodieVIPDined on 10/14/2014One of the best meals we have had in a long time. Many extra special touches to this prix fixe dinner....from the great gougere puffs and empanadas to the mini macarones, everything was delicious. Rivals any classy restaurant from NY to LA. Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpecialOurPastPresentandFutureDined on 10/14/2014My husband and I celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary at Charleston. The server and maitre d' were exceptional. They were attentive and professional. Thank you for making this celebration even more special...Special Features:
- Very goodShaneWineNFoodDined on 10/14/2014Perfect accept the wine pairing portions are very small.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional diningOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/11/2014Wonderful dining experience- delicious food, wonderful service, romantic decor - all come at a price but definitely worth it!Special Features:
- PC23Dined on 10/11/2014Charleston is an absolute favorite. Wonderful service, food and atmosphere. Cindy Wolf is an amazing and creative chef and I am already excited for our next visit to Charleston.Special Features:
- KeepSmilingDined on 10/11/2014We had a window table that was a bit tight to get in and out of. My wife's chair had a broken decorative piece on it. Perhaps these comments are fussy but they were the only small negatives to an otherwise specatular evening. This is the best special occasion restaurant in Baltimore. It's worth every penny.Special Features:
- Perfect as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/10/2014My husband and I had the four courses, i had the wine pairings. The service was as impeccable as ever, and every bite was delicious. We particularly enjoyed the lobster soup with its curry and arugula accents, and strangely enough, my favorite dish was the rocket salad - perfection. This is definitely the best special occasion place in Baltimore.Special Features:
- CharlestonHpy4foodVIPDined on 10/9/2014Flawless performance, fabulous food and wine pairings and always delivers on its promise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Food in Charm CitySilverlaDined on 10/8/2014The meal is creatively prepared and presented - absolutely delicious.. There are intricate layers of flavor in every dish. The wait staff are exceptional - professional, knowledgeable, gracious and friendly. The ambiance is elegant yet comfortable. A winning combination.Special Features:
- Great experience!JezzibellDined on 10/6/2014Great food, excellent presentation, tremdous service, and very reasonable price!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Dining ExperienceGlasgowLadDined on 10/4/2014This is an excellent restaurant that provides 'fine dining' of the highest quality, and would recommend this restaurant for a 'Special occasion - in our case it was for our wedding anniversary. The price was what we had expected, and about right for what we received. You MUST remember this is a 'fine dining' experience, and NOT your normal run-of-the-mill American restaurant where you get lots of food to eat. Portions are small, but that is expected for this type of restaurant; food was tasty and excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/3/2014My wife and I had a great experience here for her Birthday!Special Features:
- A treat for foodiesFussyBritDined on 9/27/2014Dining on a Saturday evening the restaurant was buzzing with a warm ambience, but not too noisy. We thought they'd hit it just right except that the particular table we were seated at was subjected to the visual distraction of bright lights on the street. A little tactical curtaining would easily solve this problem (and they did offer to move us). Most importantly though, the food was excellent. The lobster soup and soft shell crab were outstanding first courses. Rockfish and chicken confit were very good to follow and the beef tenderloin was flawless. The server gave a thoughtful recommendation for wine that worked out well. This restaurant offers a rare opportunity to enjoy a really special dining experience in Baltimore.Special Features:
- Decadent Deliciousnes ....EmdemDined on 9/27/2014We celebrated my husband's birthday with dinner at this lovely restaurant. The food, ambience, and service met our expectations of excellence, however in retrospect, we both feel it was far too expensive. Glad we went, but not likely to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming but expensiveBillandLuann33Dined on 9/26/2014Very nice restaurant, although it did not wow us, we enjoyed it. Very expensive. We've had better meals for less money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic Inner Harbor gemWinstonSmythVIPDined on 9/20/2014We had a wonderful experience at this restaurant. The service was impeccable and the unique menu had so many good options to choose from. You basically create your own custom pris fixe meal (3 to 6 courses) from a list of which includes everything from salads to crab cakes. The portions are only small by American standards. My wife had 3 and I had 4 and we were both too full for the dessert which is included. The wine list and bar are both impressive and they gave me the exact table that I had requested.Special Features:
- Good Experience but not incredibleRafaelegsVIPDined on 9/19/2014it was good food, incredible Lobster Soup. Didn`t like to fried oyster, good wine and champagne selection and pricing. Even though the food was good was not incredible. We were a group of 4, the initial service upon arrival was poor but then when the barman come for the rescue plus a group of really nice servers, change our initial feeling about it. it is a total formal ambiant.
- good food, loud neighborsFooBarDined on 9/19/2014The multi-course meal was excellent (as it should be for that price) and the service was better than a standard restaurant. One small nit to pick: when we arrived and departed, we had to stand around for a couple minutes waiting for the host/coat guy. The rich drunks at the table behind us were having a great time. They provided laugh tracks and even some dancing to the phone videos they were watching.Special Features:
- Excellent service, good foodJewelRossVIPDined on 9/19/2014Our meal at Charleston was good but not exceptional, especially given the high prices- in our case for the 3 courses with wine pairings. The artichoke heart salad was delicious, but the lobster bisque was just ok, the rockfish was flavorful but the turbot was overlooked and bland. The wines were nicely paired with the exception of the sherry with the soup, which wasn't to my partner's taste. If you're looking to impress someone this might be the place although to my mind there are several better options (many also run by the Wolf-Foreman team) that offer superb cuisine at more reasonable prices in Baltimore.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NiclleDined on 9/19/2014Another fantastic meal at Charleston. Wonderful service. I love the quiet intimate ambiance and the service was impeccableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!winonamaeDined on 9/17/2014No other word to describe this restauant! The atmosphere, the staff and the food - all top notch! A diverse menu to please everyone, and the Cheese Trolley has a fantastic assortment, too good to pass up! I cannot wait to visit again!Special Features:
- Nice but priceyAnnRDined on 9/13/2014This is an excellent restaurant - no doubt about it! But for me, because of how much it cost, it would be reserved for special occasions only.Special Features:
- Still the best...Tom22180VIPDined on 9/12/2014Do yourself a favor and get 3 courses of the best lobster soup anywhere. Definitely not trying too hard. Confident in what they are doing. If you want insecure wow factor or gimmicks go elsewhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The BEST!SeanKellyVIPDined on 9/12/2014Dined here for my birthday. From the moment we sat down we were expertly taken care of. The waiter new the menu perfectly and had an extensive knowledge of the wine list and the wine pairings. We both opted for the 3 course meal plus dessert. Food might be the best I ever had. Crab cake and tuna tartar were amazing. Salads and soups were great, and our lamb and tenderloin were fantastic. All the wine pairings were perfectly chosen. This is a must try for all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine dining at its finestBeadiDined on 9/11/2014One of the finest restaurants I have ever been to, and I can assure you that I go to many fine restaurants. Had the 5-course with pairings. If only I lived in Baltimore! (Or maybe it's a good thing I don't because it would be detrimental to the waistline.) I will be sure to go back next time I'm in town. This restaurant gets a very big WOW from me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MrrutiMrrutiDined on 9/11/2014Truly an outstanding dining experience nothing was lacking in any way. We actually found ourselves comparing favorable to an evening we had at a Michelin two star restaurant in DublinSpecial Features:
- charlestonOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/8/2014The best birthday dinner for my wife. Food is outstandingly good. Could use a few wine pairing suggestions for foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect luxurious date nighttreatsDined on 9/6/2014We've been going to the Charleston for the past 3 years for our anniversary and we love it! The attentive service and AMAZING food is so worth it for special occasions.Special Features:
- DisappointingHostVIPDined on 9/5/2014Booked the last seating due to our work schedules on a Friday night for an anniversary dinner. Upon arrival we were asked to wait in the bar. The bartender ignored us as he was cleaning up and doing other things. Finally gave us a drink menu then disappeared again. MD came by to seat us just as we were ordering a drink. MD said that's fine let's go you can bring it to your table. Seated in between the hallway and the bathroom where I had a great view of all the ladies exiting the elevator and parading to the restroom. Food was good but not great. Enjoyed the wine pairing-choices were very nice. Our waiter went home before our bill was paid. With so many other options, it is highly unlikely we will choose this place again.Special Features:
- Best meal I ever hadfoodloverDined on 9/5/2014We were two couples going to Charleston for a special dinner. The food and service exceeded all our expectation. I had the lobster soup and it tasted like heaven. For a second course, I had the soft-shell crab and it tasted fresh, light and crunchy. I selected duck breast for my entree and it was very tasty. Desserts were wonderful and unlike other restaurants, Charleston had very good coffee. Others in the party also raved about;their food. We would definitely go back.Special Features:
- B teamBteamVIPDined on 9/4/2014Have been to Charleston many times, but this experience was very disappointing. Rutgers food was just ok, and the service ragged. Not good value for dollars spent. And $6.50 for a single espresso? Get real!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than usualHappyVIPDined on 9/4/2014We were here with a group that went from 4 to eight in a few hours before the dinner time and they were very helpful in accommodating us. About 25% of the menu is new. Some of the new items, although sounding simple, were interesting complicated attractive and wonderful tasting preparations. The Gazpacho with lobster was fantastic! Brown sugar cake was another example of this. We brought in guests from out of town who had a wonderful evening and were pleasantly surprised at how relaxed they felt. It's very difficult to keep a restaurant fresh while not making enemies of frequent patrons. They are succeeding with grace!Special Features:
- Definitely for a special occasionHappyDined on 9/3/2014Charlston is expensive, but it is certainly a treat. The food, service, and attention are exquisite.Special Features: