1000 Lancaster Street
Baltimore, MD 21202Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.charlestonrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (410) 332-7373
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday – Saturday: 5:30pm – 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Low Country, American, French
- Executive Chef: Cindy Wolf
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Charleston
Tony Foreman & Cindy Wolf's Charleston is located on the waterfront in the burgeoning Harbor East neighborhood. Chef Cindy Wolf is a three-time finalist for Best-Chef, Mid-Atlantic by The James Beard Foundation. Her award-winning, contemporary cuisine is rooted in the regional cuisine of France and traditions of the "Low Country" area of South Carolina. Chef Wolf's commitment to fresh, local, seasonal products is reflected in the prix fixe tasting menu, which changes daily. The menu is complemented by an award winning wine list of more than 700 fine wines, which are displayed in the wine library and are chosen by co-owner and wine director, Tony Foreman. An elegant yet comfortable ambiance & luxurious service complete the extraordinary dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Charleston - Best Restaurants in Harbor East ›
Charleston reviews from OpenTable diners
200 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (181)fit for foodies (155)romantic (137)notable wine list (134)neighborhood gem (23)scenic view (21)good for groups (14)hot spot (12)vibrant bar scene (6)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Exquisite perfection.KrissyCDined on 11/17/2014The food and staff are the best in the business. Impeccable food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experienceNancyDined on 11/15/2014I live in Santa Fe where there are lots of 5 star restaurants, so I am not easily satisfied. This evening was very close to perfect. The food was varied, delicious and presentation was excellent. The friend ate with, liked it so mucy that she plans on giving gift certificate to her "foodie" children as Christmas gifts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still top-notchAdrianDined on 11/14/2014I hadn't had the chance to re-visit this place in six years. On a recent visit, I was reminded why I was so positively impressed on my previous visits. The food remains extremely good, and the service impeccable. If you are looking for top-tier, classical French-inspired food (with a few touches of the deep south), do not look further. There is valet parking, and also, if you arrive early, street parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Baltimore's BestOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/13/2014Charleston is an amazing restaurant experience, certainly among the best meals that we have ever had anywhere in the U.S. in our many years of fine dining. All aspects of the dining experience were superb: the service was friendly, but professional; the atmosphere was perfect for a leisurely fine dining experience; and the food was simply outstanding. We strongly recommend enjoying at least four courses along with the accompanying wine flight. The food - wine pairings were exceptional. The foie gras was delightful (we recommend it!), the fried oysters and steak tartare were great, and the meats (duck and veal tenderloin) were perfectly prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/11/2014The dinner experience was fantastic. Very courteous hosts and great food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding dinning experiencefoodieloversDined on 11/7/2014We'd heard about this restaurant and visited others in the group. This place is great. The food, ambiance, and service were similar to other great eateries. The staff was very pleasant and explained the wines as well as the courses . This place is a must for special occasions.Special Features:
- SublimeQuackerVIPDined on 11/7/2014This was an incredible experience. The food was amazing and the service attentive. We will be back!Special Features:
- Excellent as alwaysFoodieVIPDined on 11/7/2014The food was amazing. If you are not a wine connoisseur just go with their wine pairings, you won't regret it.Special Features:
- A Five Star ExperienceaudreVIPDined on 11/7/2014Charleston is consistently excellent: food to savor through all senses, excellent and respectful service and smiling, efficient valet parking individuals. Another triumphant culinary experience! The curry lobster bisque was exquisite!Special Features:
- OutstandingGinni2014Dined on 11/6/2014The Charleston is a gem in Baltimore. The food, service, and ambiance were truly outstanding. Cindy Wolf stopped by to say hello and seemed to be genuinely interested in feedback. The wine list is extensive with many good wines in various price ranges. The food is the real star here: everything was prepared in a fresh and innovative way. Unfortunately the dessert was not of the same quality of the wonderful small plates. ( The buttermilk chocolate cake was dry and tasteless). All in all, a truly five star experience.Special Features:
- CharlestonWolfForemanFanVIPDined on 11/1/2014You will not find a better dining experience in Baltimore. The food, the drinks, the service, the atmosphere, etc. are CONSISTENTLY exceptional. The attention to every detail makes every guest feel important from the moment they enter until the moment they leave.Special Features:
- Amazingfoxforce5VIPDined on 10/31/2014Amazing meal, impeccable service. A great place for a really special night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dining experience.racejunkyDined on 10/28/2014My dining experience was everything I expected and more from the courteous valet to the welcoming matre 'd to the helpful, prompt and pleasant wait staff.Special Features:
- Wine pairings-the biggest highlightevonovichVIPDined on 10/25/2014Celebrating a special occasion? Charleston is for you. We were originally seated in a very dark dining room, asked to be moved to the window, and were graciously accommodated. Seems that everyone who were seated near us were also celebrating an anniversary, birthday, etc. The wine pairing is what really made the meal. Hubby had the 'meal of the moment' menu & I selected a la carte, but we both had the pairings. That was the true highlight! Skip dessert & get the cheese board and a port!Special Features:
- BonsoVIPDined on 10/24/2014Celebrated our anniversary and it was a spectacular as always! Enjoyed evey bite especially the lobster soup. It's hard trying to decide on just three items! This is still my top restaurant in Baltimore.Special Features:
- Supreme diningQuinnDined on 10/24/2014Excellent service, fabulous wine pairings, food was prepared to perfection. My only comment would be the lighting was a bit dim which made the menu a bit hard to read. First time experiencing Charleston and will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentSean4foodDined on 10/23/2014Took my wife here for her birthday. The restaurant service was absolutely first rate and the food was delicious and extremely well prepared. I Recommend Charleston for any special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnbelievableFacarpVIPDined on 10/21/2014Beautiful atmosphere, incredible food and amazing staff. Our evening at Charlston far exceeded our expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mohawk1919Dined on 10/20/2014Excellent food. I would highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:
- great, great restaurantDaisy4648Dined on 10/20/2014this restaurant exceeded the hype associated with this fine establishment. From the moment we arrived everything was perfect. My husband requested water with no ice. Each time they refilled his glass they remembered no ice. That is attention to detail! We did the 3 course menu and everything was superb. The shrimp and grits is heavenly. Great wine list -- it's a book. We had a superb Margeaux.Special Features:
- The best!ChristyOdinesDined on 10/18/2014This has been by far my favorite restaurant - the food is just amazing! I would suggest the prefix menu where you choose 3, 4, 5, or 6 courses paired with wine. The 5 courses was a bit too much for me so I recommend the 4 courses with wine pairing. It is a beautiful and tasteful place - great for a special occasion!Special Features:
- wonderful mealKlofalVIPDined on 10/16/2014We were dining here for our fourth anniversary and it was wonderful. The staff is really delightful and the food was delicious and very interesting. The lobster curry soup is spectacular and the sherry pairing was spot-on. It's not on the menu but the restaurant provides an amuse bouche and after dinner chocolates in addition to the meal, which really adds to the event and shows off the creativity in the kitchen. This is the first restaurant where I've had a view of the kitchen and not winced; their kitchen is beautifully arranged and very organized so it really adds to the atmosphere.Special Features:
- Absolutely superbOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/15/2014Charleston never disappoints. Wonderful service, wonderful and imaginative fare. Wine pairings are amazing!Special Features:
- Wonderful!southfloridafoodieVIPDined on 10/14/2014One of the best meals we have had in a long time. Many extra special touches to this prix fixe dinner....from the great gougere puffs and empanadas to the mini macarones, everything was delicious. Rivals any classy restaurant from NY to LA. Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpecialOurPastPresentandFutureDined on 10/14/2014My husband and I celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary at Charleston. The server and maitre d' were exceptional. They were attentive and professional. Thank you for making this celebration even more special...Special Features:
- Very goodShaneWineNFoodDined on 10/14/2014Perfect accept the wine pairing portions are very small.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional diningOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/11/2014Wonderful dining experience- delicious food, wonderful service, romantic decor - all come at a price but definitely worth it!Special Features:
- PC23Dined on 10/11/2014Charleston is an absolute favorite. Wonderful service, food and atmosphere. Cindy Wolf is an amazing and creative chef and I am already excited for our next visit to Charleston.Special Features:
- KeepSmilingDined on 10/11/2014We had a window table that was a bit tight to get in and out of. My wife's chair had a broken decorative piece on it. Perhaps these comments are fussy but they were the only small negatives to an otherwise specatular evening. This is the best special occasion restaurant in Baltimore. It's worth every penny.Special Features:
- Perfect as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/10/2014My husband and I had the four courses, i had the wine pairings. The service was as impeccable as ever, and every bite was delicious. We particularly enjoyed the lobster soup with its curry and arugula accents, and strangely enough, my favorite dish was the rocket salad - perfection. This is definitely the best special occasion place in Baltimore.Special Features:
- CharlestonHpy4foodVIPDined on 10/9/2014Flawless performance, fabulous food and wine pairings and always delivers on its promise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Food in Charm CitySilverlaDined on 10/8/2014The meal is creatively prepared and presented - absolutely delicious.. There are intricate layers of flavor in every dish. The wait staff are exceptional - professional, knowledgeable, gracious and friendly. The ambiance is elegant yet comfortable. A winning combination.Special Features:
- Great experience!JezzibellDined on 10/6/2014Great food, excellent presentation, tremdous service, and very reasonable price!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Dining ExperienceGlasgowLadDined on 10/4/2014This is an excellent restaurant that provides 'fine dining' of the highest quality, and would recommend this restaurant for a 'Special occasion - in our case it was for our wedding anniversary. The price was what we had expected, and about right for what we received. You MUST remember this is a 'fine dining' experience, and NOT your normal run-of-the-mill American restaurant where you get lots of food to eat. Portions are small, but that is expected for this type of restaurant; food was tasty and excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/3/2014My wife and I had a great experience here for her Birthday!Special Features:
- A treat for foodiesFussyBritDined on 9/27/2014Dining on a Saturday evening the restaurant was buzzing with a warm ambience, but not too noisy. We thought they'd hit it just right except that the particular table we were seated at was subjected to the visual distraction of bright lights on the street. A little tactical curtaining would easily solve this problem (and they did offer to move us). Most importantly though, the food was excellent. The lobster soup and soft shell crab were outstanding first courses. Rockfish and chicken confit were very good to follow and the beef tenderloin was flawless. The server gave a thoughtful recommendation for wine that worked out well. This restaurant offers a rare opportunity to enjoy a really special dining experience in Baltimore.Special Features:
- Decadent Deliciousnes ....EmdemDined on 9/27/2014We celebrated my husband's birthday with dinner at this lovely restaurant. The food, ambience, and service met our expectations of excellence, however in retrospect, we both feel it was far too expensive. Glad we went, but not likely to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming but expensiveBillandLuann33Dined on 9/26/2014Very nice restaurant, although it did not wow us, we enjoyed it. Very expensive. We've had better meals for less money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic Inner Harbor gemWinstonSmythVIPDined on 9/20/2014We had a wonderful experience at this restaurant. The service was impeccable and the unique menu had so many good options to choose from. You basically create your own custom pris fixe meal (3 to 6 courses) from a list of which includes everything from salads to crab cakes. The portions are only small by American standards. My wife had 3 and I had 4 and we were both too full for the dessert which is included. The wine list and bar are both impressive and they gave me the exact table that I had requested.Special Features:
- Good Experience but not incredibleRafaelegsVIPDined on 9/19/2014it was good food, incredible Lobster Soup. Didn`t like to fried oyster, good wine and champagne selection and pricing. Even though the food was good was not incredible. We were a group of 4, the initial service upon arrival was poor but then when the barman come for the rescue plus a group of really nice servers, change our initial feeling about it. it is a total formal ambiant.