1000 Lancaster Street
Baltimore, MD 21202Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.charlestonrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4103327373x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday – Saturday: 5:30pm – 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Low Country, American, French
- Executive Chef: Cindy Wolf
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Charleston
Tony Foreman & Cindy Wolf's Charleston is located on the waterfront in the burgeoning Harbor East neighborhood. Chef Cindy Wolf is a three-time finalist for Best-Chef, Mid-Atlantic by The James Beard Foundation. Her award-winning, contemporary cuisine is rooted in the regional cuisine of France and traditions of the "Low Country" area of South Carolina. Chef Wolf's commitment to fresh, local, seasonal products is reflected in the prix fixe tasting menu, which changes daily. The menu is complemented by an award winning wine list of more than 700 fine wines, which are displayed in the wine library and are chosen by co-owner and wine director, Tony Foreman. An elegant yet comfortable ambiance & luxurious service complete the extraordinary dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Charleston - Best Restaurants in Harbor East ›
Charleston reviews from OpenTable diners
234 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (203)romantic (168)fit for foodies (163)notable wine list (158)scenic view (37)neighborhood gem (29)good for groups (16)hot spot (11)vibrant bar scene (6)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- great prixmefairgolfVIPDined on 8/28/2014The food was outstanding. Wine pairings were great. Service excellent. This is a restaurant for a special occasion because it is expensive, but it is well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014I have dined all over the world, in many Michelin starred establishments, had chef special prepared meals etc... This is without a doubt in the top 5 meals of my life. Exquisite food, fantastic wine and impeccable service. I can not say enough good things about my experience at Charleston in Baltimore! This will be the reason I return to Baltimore in the future.Special Features:
- ExcellentBigDawgDined on 8/23/2014We had a wonderful time. The Charleston is absolutely OUTSTANDING and would highly recommend it. Our compliments to the chef(s) and all employees. Great job!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charleston Left My Palate DancingHalSDined on 8/22/2014We have visited the Charleston Restaurant about six times over the past 10-years. We have never been disappointed with our dinning experience. The great variety of appetizers and entrees continue to impress. They have a wonderful wine list that evolves as new varietals come available from a growing global wine market. They offer a meal plan that includes appropriate wine pairings. The pairings are generous. The Charleston is also a great restaurant for people who like to converse and actually be able to listen to one another. The restaurant is quiet enough to carry on a civilized conversation without shouting, unlike so many restaurants today. The creative and pleasant mix of American Southern and French foods left my palate dancing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still the bestMichaelDined on 8/21/2014Everything was just about perfect. Again. In addition to delicious dishes, the wine pairings were surprising and on target.Special Features:
- 18th Birthday CelebrationMydaughterisafoodieDined on 8/20/2014My daughter chose Charleston for her 18th birthday celebration, as it is her favorite restaurant in Baltimore! Our party of 3 enjoyed a small cup of sunshine in the amuse-bouche (roasted sweet corn bisque), lobster soup with curry and arugula oils that redefined "velvety and rich." My daughter's favorite was the Scottish Smoked Salmon, my husband's was the grilled veal tenderloin, and mine was the grilled marget of duck. Our waiter, Bryan, provided perfect service and made us feel very welcome and comfortable throughout the night. It was the perfect way to celebrate our daughter and a great send off to her freshman college experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeWineguyVIPDined on 8/19/2014Food is great, cheese cart is fantastic. Great customizable tasting menu concept.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but not worth itBobbyCDined on 8/18/2014Quite nice. Good service. That's really all I can say. Everything dish was somewhat over-seasoned, and it was quite overpriced. The lobster soup was exceptionally good. Others so so. Much better value at the Cinghiale next door.Special Features:
- The VERY best in BaltimoreTalkfoodie2meDined on 8/16/2014If I could rate The Charleston with 20 stars, it still would not justify our fine dining experience. Our servers were attentive and knowledgable without being pretentious and snobby. The food was delicious...well seasoned, reasonable portions, and sufficient selection. And, the cocktails and wine pairings were flawless. We absolutely cannot wait to return!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply The BestRoBoEatsVIPDined on 8/16/2014Hands down by far away, the best Baltimore dining experience ever!!!!Special Features:
- Not Quite What It Once WasOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/15/2014We've been going to Charleston for special occasions since they opened 17 years ago. The food is always incredible, the service a perfect blend of warmth and formality, and Cindy Wolf often made a brief appearance. Last week though was a little different. The place is still lovely, the service wonderful, but no Cindy Wolf and the food was just a bit off. The first 'courses' (there are really no formal courses at Charleston--just choices) were all they should have been, but our final plates (margret duck and sweetbreads) were less than stellar. Maybe Foreman and Wolf have spread themselves too thin; perhaps with a half-dozen restaurants to manage there's not the same attention to detail that they're used to be. What a shame.Special Features:
- 4 Dollar SignPrice 5 Star EveningScooterDined on 8/13/2014From the moment the valet takes your car and wishes you a great evening you will experience what fine dining should be. The food is remarkable: its presentation is spot on, its flavors are superb and complex yet it doesn't challenge you with unusual flavor combinations simply for the sake of creativity. The service is impeccable: the gentleman who waited on us was in fact the best we've ever experienced. His servce was the rare combination of refined elegance and friendlyness seldom seen today. As an older couple we very much appreciated the noise level; in recent years we have experienced noise to the extent that on one occaision the waiter was forced to walk around and bend down to hear the people in our party.Great work Charleston!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Adventure in FoodMunchletDined on 8/13/2014We loved it. Starter drinks in the lounge were wonderful. So pretty too. The food was so creative and so beautifully presented, it was like opening a new gift each course. Things were fresh, seasonal and local in many cases, and it paid off in the flavors. Service was remarkable - so attentive but no hovering waiters. The attention to detail in every aspect was amazing - down to the huge bouquet of fresh peach colored roses in the ladies room. Every time one of us left the table a waiter whisked in unobtrusively and replaced the used napkin with a fresh one. There were so many wonderful little "extras" too! The fact that dessert was "mandatory" erased all guilt. I guess you could classify this as a "rave".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary night outNewBaltimoreDinerDined on 8/11/2014Food was absolutely amazing! The waitstaff was very attentive and our waiter was extremely knowledgeable. I had even alerted them that it was our wedding anniversary and they customized our desserts with anniversary-themed chocolates! My only ding was that they didn't have the prosecco we requested from the menu. It was very quiet inside the restaurant and we felt a little tentative trying to have a normal conversation since we were worried about our voices carrying. I would recommend playing some soft background music so it isn't too quiet. But overall, it was a lovely experience and very delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/9/2014We go to Charleston whenever we are in Baltimore. This was the first time we walked away unimpressed. It's price point is high-end for the area and in the past lived up to the cost. This time not so much.Special Features:
- First time visit-not the lastPier558Dined on 8/9/2014My wife had just received a significant promotion at work and she had always wanted to eat at The Charleston. I consdiered it a special occasion and we made the visit. Neither of us were disappointed in our choice. We had the 4 course meal as recommended to us by our attendent. The food was excellent and the service was outstanding. No need was left unattended. I would definitely recommend and plan to make this on our list of go to restaurants for special occasions.Special Features:
- Excellent!!NSCJDined on 8/9/2014The food and service were both absolutely outstanding.Special Features:
- Wow!; just wow!JMVenhausVIPDined on 8/9/2014What a fantastic meal and perfect way to celebrate a special occasion with friends. The multi course format makes for a wonderful evening with enough breaks to enjoy the company and catch up on each others' lives. It may take a bit of saving to be able to afford another night like that, but we will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Amazing food and serviceAmazingDined on 8/8/2014Nicest place I've ever eaten at. I've been meaning to go here for years and just hadn't found the right time. So glad we made it. It was worth my waitSpecial Features:
- PerfectionOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/5/2014My husband and I had dinner last night at the Charleston for our anniversary. Every plate from appetizer through dessert was amazing. This was the best meal I have ever had in Baltimore! The service was also perfect! Thank you for such an amazing experienceSpecial Features:
- DinnerBaconVIPDined on 8/2/2014Excellent find - 4 course tasting menu allowed flexibility. Corn chowder was stupendous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceAI1982Dined on 8/2/2014Recommend as a once in a while experience. Expensive, but with the wine pairing it turns out to be a great choice. I enjoyed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Training Needed!mousecannataDined on 8/2/2014While the food and service at Charleston are always amazing, on the night that we were there, they were apparently training a new employee or moving her up to a new role. She was managing a few tasks such as cheese cart, water delivery, and serving. She came by our table a few times and offered ice water even though we were drinking bottled water, was unable to answer any questions about the cheese cart (although did fine at reciting what was on there), etc. Towards the end of our meal, I heard our waiter telling the table next to us that they had been given (and paid) the wrong bill. So, there was a bit of negotiation going on next to us. All in all, it led to the feeling that more staff training is needed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High expectations. Disappointed.ChumpyDined on 8/2/2014Valet - excellent Greeting - excellent Bar - nice ambiance, disinterested bartender ( too cool and not very approachable) Service - very good Dining room - very nice Informed them we were Celebrating special birthday - they didn't care to make mention or make any special effort - no big deal Food - unfortunately this is where the experience fell short. Food was a little underseasoned vs over salted. Several dishes were just not good. Grits were a good idea but weakly done. Pork tenderloin had the consistency of leather. Lobster soup was outstanding. Fois gras was incredible. Overall 3.5 stars
- Amazing DinnerLoveFoodVIPDined on 8/1/2014Had a little difficulty finding it (small signs), but that was the only complaint. It's definitely a high-end restaurant, but if you don't need typical American gigantic amounts of food, you can do the 3 course dinner without the wine pairings for a fairly reasonable nice dinner out-price. They also offer 4,5, and 6 course dinners so they meet most needs. The food itself was amazingly delicious. The Lobster-Curry soup was one of the best soups I have ever had. Not sure if that or the Shrimp and Grits was my favorite, but every course was very good to fantastic (with more of the latter). Would definitely recommend it and will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food!JandkDined on 7/31/2014My husband and I went to charleston to celebrate our anniversary. The food was beyond amazing. Each bite was delicious. I am still thinking about the curried Lobster soup and the asparagus salad! The service was attentive, helpful, and friendly. I would highly recommend dining at Charleston to Celebrate a special occasion- you will not be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/30/2014Close to outstanding, but a couple of weaker dishes, among a bevy of excellent dishes. And the service is truly exceptional. Always a great choice for a special meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy AnniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/26/2014A special night. Our first (certainly not our last) trip to the Charleston for dinner. The experience starts with a wonderful setting down by the water in Harbor East and the overall ambience inside, just the right amount of high end refinement and elegance. Our night started off with a wonderful complimentary asparagus soup that set the tone for what was to come. The spinach salad is an absolute must have along with the sweat breads. I had the duck and my wife had the filet, both very juicy and succulent. Compliments to the Pastry Chef for desert. The brown sugar pie with bourbon ice cream was simply delicious and my wife marveled at the macaroon's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely Fabulous in Every WayOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/25/2014Soup to nuts this was a great dining experience. And that's what it was--an experience. From the decor to the china everything was lovely. The service was impeccable. And the food was scrumptious. My mum has a gluten-allergy and the kitchen was very accommodating. The dishes I ordered: Wild Rockfish Ceviche, Fried Soft Shell Crab with cucumber julienne salad, and Grilled Veal Sweetbreads with a potato/bacon hash. All were excellent. Beautifully presented and delicious. Totally lived up to the hype. Did not disappoint. Everyone loved their dinner. I would highly recommend Charleston for a special occasion. Men, I am 100% sure that if you take a lady to Charleston, you will get lucky.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charm City EleganceRalphieDined on 7/24/2014Planning a special occasion or important celebration put the Charleston on the top of the list! Meal not to be missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful EveningFoodiefunDined on 7/23/2014I had been waiting all week to dine at the Charleston and it absolutely surpassed my expectations. The beef tenderloin, crab cake and amuse-bouch macaroons were stand outs for me this evening. They were very accommodating to our birthday celebration and did a great job as hosts to our children. It is very difficulty to find fault with the interior, service and product.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/22/2014As always top notch, no Baltimore restaurant can compare. Fabulous dinner and always memorable.Special Features:
- Perfectionwine4dineVIPDined on 7/22/2014Perfection is the term that covers it all. Service, Atmosphere, and especially the Food. All were impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming dinnerDonHVIPDined on 7/19/2014We greatly enjoyed our experience. The service was attentive, friendly and professional. The tables were nicely spaced, so that we didn't have to rub elbows with other diners or overhear their conversations. We had the four-course meal with wine pairings. The only wrong note was on my first course, which was a lobster curry soup paired with a dry sherry. The sherry just didn't work for the soup. But otherwise, everything was quite good. There were no amazing dishes, but all-in-all, it was a great dining experience.
- Truly incredibleSuperiorDined on 7/19/2014From the convenient and polite valet service to, well, the valet service, everything was perfect. Chef Cindy Wolf has created a heavenly dining experience right on Inner Harbor with her blend of French and American low country cuisines. Heaven does come with a price tag, but I can honestly say that the experience was worth every penny. Service was impeccable; polite, respectful and helpful. The food with the recommended wind pairings was exquisite. Every dish was well designed, beautifully presented and delicious. (My wife, however, informed our server that she didn't think that the individual ingredients in one of her dishes "worked well together." We were comped not only for the dish, but the wine pairing for the dish!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/17/2014My wife and I were working in the area and looking for a unique place to meet up with an old friend and his wife. Charleston was perfect! Excellent food, great location, and memorable service. We thoroughly enjoyed the evening and highly recommend it for a special occasion when you're willing to accept the expense.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love, love, loved this place!!!TamerraDined on 7/17/2014Every single thing my husband and I tasted was truly fantastic! We had an horderve, 8 different menu items, 2 cheeses, 2 desserts and the coffee came with 4 tiny amazing bite desserts. I cannot say enough great things about this place! The food was amazing, the staff was tremendous, and the ambiance was delightful. No children screaming, no one talking loudly in their phone next to you, just adults having quiet delicious food served by the friendliest most professional wait staff I've ever encountered. I could literally rave about this place all day, but I won't. Everyone should just try it for themselves. A bit pricey but well worth every penny!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in BaltimorePickyeaterDined on 7/16/2014Superlative food. A true wait staff-I had forgotten what it is to be served. If I am back in Bmore I would visit the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic dining experience.teinsykesvilleDined on 7/15/2014Everything is well-prepared from presentation, to the wine-pairing, to the addition of dessert. All 4 courses were outstanding and the service was trememdous. We didn't feel rushed through any course and our waiter made helpful suggestions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant in Baltimore!TraceyDined on 7/14/2014Always a great experience, beautiful, elegant setting, exceptional food and service, every detail done right. AND you can actually hear those sitting at the table with you, without yelling!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.