1000 Lancaster Street
Baltimore, MD 21202Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.charlestonrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4103327373x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday – Saturday: 5:30pm – 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Low Country, American, French
- Executive Chef: Cindy Wolf
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Charleston
Tony Foreman & Cindy Wolf's Charleston is located on the waterfront in the burgeoning Harbor East neighborhood. Chef Cindy Wolf is a three-time finalist for Best-Chef, Mid-Atlantic by The James Beard Foundation. Her award-winning, contemporary cuisine is rooted in the regional cuisine of France and traditions of the "Low Country" area of South Carolina. Chef Wolf's commitment to fresh, local, seasonal products is reflected in the prix fixe tasting menu, which changes daily. The menu is complemented by an award winning wine list of more than 700 fine wines, which are displayed in the wine library and are chosen by co-owner and wine director, Tony Foreman. An elegant yet comfortable ambiance & luxurious service complete the extraordinary dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Charleston - Best Restaurants in Harbor East ›
Charleston reviews from OpenTable diners
223 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (197)fit for foodies (164)romantic (159)notable wine list (150)scenic view (32)neighborhood gem (24)good for groups (17)hot spot (7)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (5)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Good Experience but not incredibleRafaelegsVIPDined on 9/19/2014it was good food, incredible Lobster Soup. Didn`t like to fried oyster, good wine and champagne selection and pricing. Even though the food was good was not incredible. We were a group of 4, the initial service upon arrival was poor but then when the barman come for the rescue plus a group of really nice servers, change our initial feeling about it. it is a total formal ambiant.
- Excellent service, good foodJewelRossVIPDined on 9/19/2014Our meal at Charleston was good but not exceptional, especially given the high prices- in our case for the 3 courses with wine pairings. The artichoke heart salad was delicious, but the lobster bisque was just ok, the rockfish was flavorful but the turbot was overlooked and bland. The wines were nicely paired with the exception of the sherry with the soup, which wasn't to my partner's taste. If you're looking to impress someone this might be the place although to my mind there are several better options (many also run by the Wolf-Foreman team) that offer superb cuisine at more reasonable prices in Baltimore.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NiclleDined on 9/19/2014Another fantastic meal at Charleston. Wonderful service. I love the quiet intimate ambiance and the service was impeccableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice but priceyAnnRDined on 9/13/2014This is an excellent restaurant - no doubt about it! But for me, because of how much it cost, it would be reserved for special occasions only.Special Features:
- Still the best...Tom22180VIPDined on 9/12/2014Do yourself a favor and get 3 courses of the best lobster soup anywhere. Definitely not trying too hard. Confident in what they are doing. If you want insecure wow factor or gimmicks go elsewhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The BEST!SeanKellyVIPDined on 9/12/2014Dined here for my birthday. From the moment we sat down we were expertly taken care of. The waiter new the menu perfectly and had an extensive knowledge of the wine list and the wine pairings. We both opted for the 3 course meal plus dessert. Food might be the best I ever had. Crab cake and tuna tartar were amazing. Salads and soups were great, and our lamb and tenderloin were fantastic. All the wine pairings were perfectly chosen. This is a must try for all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MrrutiMrrutiDined on 9/11/2014Truly an outstanding dining experience nothing was lacking in any way. We actually found ourselves comparing favorable to an evening we had at a Michelin two star restaurant in DublinSpecial Features:
- charlestonOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/8/2014The best birthday dinner for my wife. Food is outstandingly good. Could use a few wine pairing suggestions for foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect luxurious date nighttreatsDined on 9/6/2014We've been going to the Charleston for the past 3 years for our anniversary and we love it! The attentive service and AMAZING food is so worth it for special occasions.Special Features:
- DisappointingHostVIPDined on 9/5/2014Booked the last seating due to our work schedules on a Friday night for an anniversary dinner. Upon arrival we were asked to wait in the bar. The bartender ignored us as he was cleaning up and doing other things. Finally gave us a drink menu then disappeared again. MD came by to seat us just as we were ordering a drink. MD said that's fine let's go you can bring it to your table. Seated in between the hallway and the bathroom where I had a great view of all the ladies exiting the elevator and parading to the restroom. Food was good but not great. Enjoyed the wine pairing-choices were very nice. Our waiter went home before our bill was paid. With so many other options, it is highly unlikely we will choose this place again.Special Features:
- Best meal I ever hadfoodloverDined on 9/5/2014We were two couples going to Charleston for a special dinner. The food and service exceeded all our expectation. I had the lobster soup and it tasted like heaven. For a second course, I had the soft-shell crab and it tasted fresh, light and crunchy. I selected duck breast for my entree and it was very tasty. Desserts were wonderful and unlike other restaurants, Charleston had very good coffee. Others in the party also raved about;their food. We would definitely go back.Special Features:
- B teamBteamVIPDined on 9/4/2014Have been to Charleston many times, but this experience was very disappointing. Rutgers food was just ok, and the service ragged. Not good value for dollars spent. And $6.50 for a single espresso? Get real!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than usualHappyVIPDined on 9/4/2014We were here with a group that went from 4 to eight in a few hours before the dinner time and they were very helpful in accommodating us. About 25% of the menu is new. Some of the new items, although sounding simple, were interesting complicated attractive and wonderful tasting preparations. The Gazpacho with lobster was fantastic! Brown sugar cake was another example of this. We brought in guests from out of town who had a wonderful evening and were pleasantly surprised at how relaxed they felt. It's very difficult to keep a restaurant fresh while not making enemies of frequent patrons. They are succeeding with grace!Special Features:
- Definitely for a special occasionHappyDined on 9/3/2014Charlston is expensive, but it is certainly a treat. The food, service, and attention are exquisite.Special Features:
- Superb service and foodHM006Dined on 9/2/2014Attentive service and extremely delicious, innovative menu! Three selections is probably plenty - we we're stuffed with four. It got a little too quiet at times, but it certainly felt intimate. Overall, it was a perfect choice for celebrating our anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/30/2014Outstanding but not intrusive service. Waiter was well versed in the menu and the quantity of dishes to order. Not stuffy at all. Overall an outstanding dining experience comparable to anywhere in the world. Will return when in Baltimore !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceKINtoDCVIPDined on 8/30/2014My second visit was just as wonderful as my first. The food is deliciious and the service is impeccable - it is truely a great overall dining experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic birthday dinner for hubbyHappydinerDined on 8/30/2014I took my husband to Charleston for his birthday and everyone seemed to know it was his birthday and wished him a happy one. The wait staff were very attentive but not too much so. My husband was able to have a taste of 3 wines before deciding on his favorite. Each course was delicious and presented beautifully. I had wanted a later reservation but wound up being glad we were there early as it was nice and quiet as we shared our room with a few other couples and we had a lovely view of the water and boats and the changing sky. It was a perfect evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014Charleston was excellent as always. However, the service, while attentive, seems a little less personal than that which we have experienced before there. This restaurant is best reserved for special occasions as can spend north of $400 easily on a meal for two with wine.Special Features:
- Excellent!Fabulous100Dined on 8/28/2014You cannot go wrong having dinner here. The mushroom soup and artichoke dish are fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great prixmefairgolfVIPDined on 8/28/2014The food was outstanding. Wine pairings were great. Service excellent. This is a restaurant for a special occasion because it is expensive, but it is well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- winendineDined on 8/28/2014I was entertaining an old friend who enjoys good food and is a wine expert. He was very impressed - suggested we return the following evening. The food was scrumptious and the wine excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbChopesDined on 8/27/2014I have dined all over the world, in many Michelin starred establishments, had chef special prepared meals etc... This is without a doubt in the top 5 meals of my life. Exquisite food, fantastic wine and impeccable service. I can not say enough good things about my experience at Charleston in Baltimore! This will be the reason I return to Baltimore in the future.Special Features:
- Wonderful as usualMBL100Dined on 8/27/2014The dining experience at Charleston is all one could wish in every respect. The night we were there the veal tenderloin and the dourade were particularly good. The paired wines definitely enhanced our choices. I had a friend visiting from out of town and was able to leave the car with the valet service before our reservation time giving us the opportunity to walk around and show off the harbor. We appreciated that.Special Features:
- ExcellentBigDawgDined on 8/23/2014We had a wonderful time. The Charleston is absolutely OUTSTANDING and would highly recommend it. Our compliments to the chef(s) and all employees. Great job!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charleston Left My Palate DancingHalSDined on 8/22/2014We have visited the Charleston Restaurant about six times over the past 10-years. We have never been disappointed with our dinning experience. The great variety of appetizers and entrees continue to impress. They have a wonderful wine list that evolves as new varietals come available from a growing global wine market. They offer a meal plan that includes appropriate wine pairings. The pairings are generous. The Charleston is also a great restaurant for people who like to converse and actually be able to listen to one another. The restaurant is quiet enough to carry on a civilized conversation without shouting, unlike so many restaurants today. The creative and pleasant mix of American Southern and French foods left my palate dancing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still the bestMichaelDined on 8/21/2014Everything was just about perfect. Again. In addition to delicious dishes, the wine pairings were surprising and on target.Special Features:
- 18th Birthday CelebrationMydaughterisafoodieDined on 8/20/2014My daughter chose Charleston for her 18th birthday celebration, as it is her favorite restaurant in Baltimore! Our party of 3 enjoyed a small cup of sunshine in the amuse-bouche (roasted sweet corn bisque), lobster soup with curry and arugula oils that redefined "velvety and rich." My daughter's favorite was the Scottish Smoked Salmon, my husband's was the grilled veal tenderloin, and mine was the grilled marget of duck. Our waiter, Bryan, provided perfect service and made us feel very welcome and comfortable throughout the night. It was the perfect way to celebrate our daughter and a great send off to her freshman college experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeWineguyVIPDined on 8/19/2014Food is great, cheese cart is fantastic. Great customizable tasting menu concept.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but not worth itBobbyCDined on 8/18/2014Quite nice. Good service. That's really all I can say. Everything dish was somewhat over-seasoned, and it was quite overpriced. The lobster soup was exceptionally good. Others so so. Much better value at the Cinghiale next door.Special Features:
- The VERY best in BaltimoreTalkfoodie2meDined on 8/16/2014If I could rate The Charleston with 20 stars, it still would not justify our fine dining experience. Our servers were attentive and knowledgable without being pretentious and snobby. The food was delicious...well seasoned, reasonable portions, and sufficient selection. And, the cocktails and wine pairings were flawless. We absolutely cannot wait to return!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply The BestRoBoEatsVIPDined on 8/16/2014Hands down by far away, the best Baltimore dining experience ever!!!!Special Features:
- Not Quite What It Once WasOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/15/2014We've been going to Charleston for special occasions since they opened 17 years ago. The food is always incredible, the service a perfect blend of warmth and formality, and Cindy Wolf often made a brief appearance. Last week though was a little different. The place is still lovely, the service wonderful, but no Cindy Wolf and the food was just a bit off. The first 'courses' (there are really no formal courses at Charleston--just choices) were all they should have been, but our final plates (margret duck and sweetbreads) were less than stellar. Maybe Foreman and Wolf have spread themselves too thin; perhaps with a half-dozen restaurants to manage there's not the same attention to detail that they're used to be. What a shame.Special Features:
- 4 Dollar SignPrice 5 Star EveningScooterDined on 8/13/2014From the moment the valet takes your car and wishes you a great evening you will experience what fine dining should be. The food is remarkable: its presentation is spot on, its flavors are superb and complex yet it doesn't challenge you with unusual flavor combinations simply for the sake of creativity. The service is impeccable: the gentleman who waited on us was in fact the best we've ever experienced. His servce was the rare combination of refined elegance and friendlyness seldom seen today. As an older couple we very much appreciated the noise level; in recent years we have experienced noise to the extent that on one occaision the waiter was forced to walk around and bend down to hear the people in our party.Great work Charleston!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Adventure in FoodMunchletDined on 8/13/2014We loved it. Starter drinks in the lounge were wonderful. So pretty too. The food was so creative and so beautifully presented, it was like opening a new gift each course. Things were fresh, seasonal and local in many cases, and it paid off in the flavors. Service was remarkable - so attentive but no hovering waiters. The attention to detail in every aspect was amazing - down to the huge bouquet of fresh peach colored roses in the ladies room. Every time one of us left the table a waiter whisked in unobtrusively and replaced the used napkin with a fresh one. There were so many wonderful little "extras" too! The fact that dessert was "mandatory" erased all guilt. I guess you could classify this as a "rave".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary night outNewBaltimoreDinerDined on 8/11/2014Food was absolutely amazing! The waitstaff was very attentive and our waiter was extremely knowledgeable. I had even alerted them that it was our wedding anniversary and they customized our desserts with anniversary-themed chocolates! My only ding was that they didn't have the prosecco we requested from the menu. It was very quiet inside the restaurant and we felt a little tentative trying to have a normal conversation since we were worried about our voices carrying. I would recommend playing some soft background music so it isn't too quiet. But overall, it was a lovely experience and very delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/9/2014We go to Charleston whenever we are in Baltimore. This was the first time we walked away unimpressed. It's price point is high-end for the area and in the past lived up to the cost. This time not so much.Special Features:
- First time visit-not the lastPier558Dined on 8/9/2014My wife had just received a significant promotion at work and she had always wanted to eat at The Charleston. I consdiered it a special occasion and we made the visit. Neither of us were disappointed in our choice. We had the 4 course meal as recommended to us by our attendent. The food was excellent and the service was outstanding. No need was left unattended. I would definitely recommend and plan to make this on our list of go to restaurants for special occasions.Special Features:
- Excellent!!NSCJDined on 8/9/2014The food and service were both absolutely outstanding.Special Features:
- Wow!; just wow!JMVenhausVIPDined on 8/9/2014What a fantastic meal and perfect way to celebrate a special occasion with friends. The multi course format makes for a wonderful evening with enough breaks to enjoy the company and catch up on each others' lives. It may take a bit of saving to be able to afford another night like that, but we will definitely be back!Special Features: