224 King Street
Charleston, SC 29401Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.charlestongrill.com/
- Phone: (843) 577-4522
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm Bar: 5:00pm Daily
Live Jazz: Sunday - Thursday 7:00pm -11:00pm, Friday & Saturday 8:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Low Country, American
- Executive Chef: Michelle Weaver
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Megan Click & Margeaux Gwynne-Vaughan 8435774522x
A word from Charleston Grill
The Charleston Grill offers Contemporary Lowcountry cuisine featuring fresh local produce, seafood & game, prepared with a French accent. Emphasis is placed on the quality of the ingredients, unique presentations & sophisticated textures. Local ingredients include rabbit, oysters, crabmeat, shrimp, fish, duck, greens & grains. Paneled walls, herringbone floors, softly padded carver chairs & local folk art blend with live jazz to create an elegant, but casual setting. The private Vintner's Room features walls of glass-fronted wine cellars showcasing the impressive stock of vintages from around the world.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Charleston Grill - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
Charleston Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
212 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (178)romantic (146)fit for foodies (143)notable wine list (121)neighborhood gem (39)good for groups (29)hot spot (26)vibrant bar scene (16)scenic view (11)late-night find (9)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (5)great for outdoor dining (4)great for lunch (2)Show More
- First time - won't be the lastopentablevipVIPDined on 11/24/2014I took my wife for a stay at Charleston Place as a birthday celebration, and we went to Charleston Grill as part of the celebration. We have had a second home in Charleston for 10 years and are there often, as our daughter lives in Charleston. There are many good restaurants in Charleston, but I wish we had tried Charleston Grill sooner. The food was great, the service was great, and the live jazz added a lot to the experience. You should go, even if you live in Charleston. We feel silly for not trying it sooner, now that we have experienced it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wanted GREAT but got GOOD insteadEPfromNaplesDined on 11/24/2014We chose the Charleston Grill after getting a stellar recommendation from a local and reading the reviews. So we arrived with high expectations. Looking at the experience as a whole, there was nothing really wrong with it but there was nothing really outstanding about it either. And for those prices you want outstanding. The service was so-so and I didn't feel like our server made an attempt to make our dining experience special. She wasn't bad but it wasn't to the level we expected, especially for the prices. We were seated near the bar area and it wasn't the cozy romantic experience we were hoping for. To be fair, the food is very good. But with so many dining options around town we definitely will not be rushing back here.
- Outstanding!!!!IncredibleServiceDined on 11/21/2014This fine dining restaurant was already on my must list every time I visit Charleston!!! There was a small problem with one of the entrees delivered to the table on this one trip and I can honestly say that you could not have asked for a better response from everyone from the owner to hostess to the wait staff. They far exceeded expectations in making things right it was almost embarassing. I can only conclude that mistakes are truly rare by the over the top response to what I would consider a common problem at other restaurants. I highly recommend this restaurant for anyone living in or visitiing Charleston. Thanks Mickey!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal ever!GinaDined on 11/21/2014Amazing ambience, fantastic food, and perfect service! Our experience at Charleston Grill was absolute perfection… get the chef's tasting!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant DiningDasHornDined on 11/18/2014Choosing the Charleston Grill was the right selection when celebrating our special wedding anniversary. Food and service were superb. With this in mind, it is regrettable that a dress code cannot be enforced in the better restaurants. An evening like this with food this good deserves special attention by the customer and all too often, diners failed to dress appropriately. However, this does not diminish the great restaurant that the Charleston Grill is.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slipped a littleunhappyDined on 11/18/2014We had eaten at Charleston Grill and were excited to return. This visit, however, wasn't the perfection we had experienced last time. Our server was very nice and attentive until assigned to a large party next to us. That was the last time we saw her until after we paid the check. Others filled in so we were ok, just noted that this isn't what you expect there. The food was not up to last time either. I had the risotto which was delicious, but the vegetables served over it amounted to lots and lots of cooked radishes with a little broccolini on top. Overall, we just felt that the food lacked the refinement and attention to detail that we had had on our first visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful first time experienceWineandDineVIPDined on 11/16/2014Chip greeted us immediately and provided us with excellent information all through dining experience. Crab cakes, quail, rib eye and tenderloin were all tens on a scale of one to ten. We did not take the recommended dessert and probably should have. We will return so that we can do so. The owners of Myrtle Beach's finest restaurant recommended Charleston Grill and we are grateful that they did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charleston GrillOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014My best friend and I celebrated our 60th birthdays by meeting in Charleston and having dinner at the Charleston Grill. The food was outstanding and our servers were very attentive and knowledgable. The noise level is very energetic and the jazz ensemble added to the energy. I would not recommend this restaurant if you are looking for a quiet, romantic setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time's a charmsingnkittyVIPDined on 11/15/2014Birthday dinner dining at Charleston Grill for the first time. Having been a longtime local resident I'm ashamed to say I hadn't dined here before but it was everything I had heard & more. Mickey Bakst & his staff provide warm, welcoming service, making us feel like regulars. The delicious menu is so varied with many choices. Our server had extensive knowledge of the various dishes & could help make decisions. The squash soup was rich but not heavy, the Thai fish had such aroma that enhanced each bite. The green goddess salad was so much more than just a salad & the tenderloin couldn't have been more flavorful. Crème brulee was perfect as was the tawny port recommended as an after dinner libation. Mr Bakst does so much in the community, it was pleasure to experience first hand what makes him & this place so special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful nightGigi22Dined on 11/15/2014The Charleston Grill is a great place for special occasions. The food is exciting and the service is impeachable. This has become our go to place for a special night out,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmedCaturdayDined on 11/14/2014Food was over-priced. Service lacking. Pork chop was tough, Scallops good, bucatini and clams-salty. Didn't stick around for dessert.Special Features:
- Really unbelievable, everything perfectly doneThisguyDined on 11/14/2014This is an excellent restaurant and a very special dining experience. Everything was perfectly executed, from the service to the extremely creative food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- while in charlestonRidergal63Dined on 11/14/2014really liked charleston grill. i did think it was pricey but i was prepared for that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding.WhammerDined on 11/10/2014Exceeded expectations! Beautiful setting live jazz fabulous service thanks Chip and staff, gourmet menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding at a priceDCerDined on 11/7/2014My wife and I were vacationing in Charleston, and looking for a nice restaurant. The first two we tried didn't have tables at the times we wanted, so we didn't have a place for Friday night. An acquaintance suggested the Charleston Place area, and a Yelp search turned up this place. Had I realized that it was a restaurant in a hotel, I would have passed, but it turned out really well. Nice interior and decor but still a hotel based restaurant. However, the service was marvelous and the food was excellent. We had a great time and throughly enjoyed ourselves and our meal. While I'm not sure that this is the most we have ever spent for a meal (with wine), it's probably close. That said, we had a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/7/2014The food was great but probably the best service I have every received in a restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOW!foodiedawnDined on 11/5/2014Fabulous food and service! Loved the thai style fish and excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stunningfoodie13Dined on 11/5/2014This was our second visit to the Charleston Grill and it was just as wonderful this time. The seared fois gras, such a treat, melts in your mouth. The cauliflower side dish is delicious--well, everything is. The jazz combo is truly stellar. Most importantly, the service is outstanding. The staff enters into your experience, taking a real interest in your choices, advising when appropriate, and being genuinely pleased when their guests are happy. I highly recommend the Charleston Grill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely awesomeDodieVIPDined on 11/3/2014All I can say is unbelievable! We were in Charleston for a few days and had one of the best meals of our lives at the Charleston Grill. The waiter was so friendly, knowledgeable and welcoming, the ambience lovely, and the best crab cakes I have ever tasted.. anywhere! Including Maryland. The perfect place for an occasion or just a perfect evening! I sound like I am plugging it! In fact we are from Philadelphia and just were lucky enough to find the best restaurant in Charleston!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business Dinner Treat!GreekDined on 11/3/2014My colleague and I had the pleasure of dining at the Charleston Grill a couple of nights ago and it did not disappoint. From the Seared Foie Gras appetizer (to die for) to my Grilled Kurobuta Pork Chopkurabota to my colleague's Charleston Grill Crab Cake and Salmon a la Plancha entree, everything was prepared just perfect! The service was fantastic, perfect mix of checking on the table and allowing for conversation to flow. Would go back in a "country minute"!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticRitaDined on 11/2/2014There were four of us at dinner. We basically tasted every dish that was ordered...from appetizers to desserts. Every single item was superb! My husband claimed it was the best meal he every had. As a vegetarian, I was delighted with the vegetarian offerings. Although I do not drink alcoholic beverages, my dinner guests enjoyed their choices in cocktails and wine.Special Features:
- Disappointing Meal - Great AmbianceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/2/2014The food was very predictable and mediocre. The service and ambiance were excellent. We didn't eat one of two meals, and the manager was extremely gracious in removing it from our bill. Jazz music was entertaining.
- The best crab cakes I ever hadOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/2/2014We ate at 5 different Charleston restaurants and by far these are the best crab cakes! Wait staff said it is 90% crab and it shows in the finished product. My wife and I had the flounder and sea bass and both were cooked just perfect. Service was wonderful and the live music added a nice touch without being too noisy although I would not have wanted to be any closer to it. The pina colada cake was the weakest link but good. Can't compare to the Coconut Cake at Peninsular Grill. Sorry about that since the rest of the meal was I think even better than Peninsular.Special Features:
- OverpricedPaulDined on 11/1/2014Very old-school elegant atmosphere with dark wood panelling and a jazz band. Creative menu with lots of interesting choices. Wait staff very helpful and friendly. Crabcake appetizer was among the best I ever had. But Thai Fish entree was mediocre at best. Overall an excellent place but really doesn't warrant the high cost of $180 with tip for 2 people with 4 drinks, 2 appetizers, one split meal and no desert. Probably won't return given the abundance of other superlative options in Charleston.Special Features:
- Perfect everytimecaptvickeyDined on 10/31/2014Mix and match from the 4 different tasting lists. Amazing combination of flavors that are unique to each dish. Wine list is fantastic. Jazz band added perfect touch.Special Features:
- Romantic eventingLepsky2Dined on 10/29/2014We celebrated our anniversary at the Charleston Grill a few nights ago. The food was outstatnding and our service was top notch. Our wait staff was informative, well spoken, and were extremely professional. Femi was the best server that we have ever had. Hee was extremely professional, and had impeckable taste when it came to providing suggestions with wine and food choices. His desription of the dishes were mouthwatering. Compliments to the chef Michelle, our servers Femi & Justin who made sure that we were well attended and felt pampered. Your made our anniversary special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- can't wait to go back!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/29/2014Great spot for a romantic date lovely music amazing staff very polite and food came out quickSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MidasVIPDined on 10/28/2014Have been here several times and the food was excellent but this night my dinner was not good. The caviar serving was excellent, the wine superb but my lobster was bad. It was tough and dangerously passed it's freshness date. My response was well received and the faux pas forgiven. I still find it the epitome of low country charm and cuisineSpecial Features:
- noisy and nicepurplejasmineDined on 10/28/2014Attractive comfortable environs. A nice jazz accompaniment to dining. The food was very good and the service excellent. Difficult to locate for tourists though as it is inside a mall attached to upscale hotel and shopping.Special Features:
- Perfect filetOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/27/2014My husband likes his steak Pittsburgh rare (seared on outside but cold in middle) you would not believe how many fine dining restaurants have failed in this request even after being explicitly requested to the point that if they could not he would order something else. Our charleston grill server did not even blink on this request, saying of course sir as you please, the filet was perfect, my husband said the most perfectly cooked steak he ever had. Jazz duo played our favorite song, moon river.all in all a perfect evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent EatingDickDined on 10/26/2014We have eaten at many restaurants in Charleston. Most were very good. This one was an excellent dining experience. They were very helpful in celebrating the birthdays of two members of our group. They do need to work on their beef supplier. There was gristle that shouldn't have been in one of our member of our party's beef. Everything else was creative and excellent.Special Features:
- Ayckbourn Outstanding sommelieralwaysthere1VIPDined on 10/24/2014Our sommelier went out of her way to insure I has the best Chardonnay to accompany the delicious scallops. The service was outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodMMGMDined on 10/24/2014We booked this restaurant without knowing about it and really enjoyed it although it is a little pricey. They do have a fabulous wine list and the food was excellent. Also, the service was outstanding. My only complaint was that the little jazz band played a little too loudly. It was difficult to have a conversation.Special Features:
- Another great dining experienceFJHQueenStreetVIPDined on 10/23/2014Our go-to spot for an excellent dinner always, Charleston Place Grill delivered a wonderful dining experience for our anniversary dinner. The staff is thoroughly professional, the food superb and the atmosphere sophisticated.Special Features:
- Excellent DinnerBoeingVPDined on 10/20/2014The service was extraordinary. This was the first time dining at Charleston Grill and I'm sure to return!Special Features:
- Great food, great service.AMG22Dined on 10/20/2014Chip was our waiter and he made sure that we were well taken care of! I had the vegetarian option and was impressed! Great martinis (order the Effen martini - it is not on the menu, but one of the best martinis I've ever had!)Special Features:
- Great dinner out!diningoutatthebestDined on 10/18/2014Atmosphere, service and food were all outstanding! Recommend it be on everyone's list for dinner when visiting Charleston!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic and delicious!Lucky1VIPDined on 10/18/2014Dinner was amazing! Beautifully presented and excellent quality. Beef was the best we have had.. Bread was hard to resist! Little corn muffins and wonderful rolls. My husband had scallops that were perfectly cooked. Service could have been more attentive for a restaurant of this caliber but overall a fine dining experience and we would definitely recommend it. Live jazz music was perfect.. In the background but not intrusive. Would highly recommend this for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic and ComfortablepopsDined on 10/18/2014We had a great experience. Food is very good and service was great. Beautiful room that is large, comfortable and quiet, which is hard to find in Charleston.Special Features:
- FantasticK2BgardDined on 10/18/2014This was our first visit to Charleston and the Charleston Grill. The food and service was top notch. Absolutely the best lamb I have ever had. The menu offers four different 'genres' of tastes so there is something to please every taste. Also a tasting menu so you can try a little of each. Even the dessert was terrific. We will absolutely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.