224 King Street
Charleston, SC 29401Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.charlestongrill.com/
- Phone: 8435774522x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm Bar: 5:00pm Daily
Live Jazz: Sunday - Thursday 7:00pm -11:00pm, Friday & Saturday 8:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Low Country, American
- Executive Chef: Michelle Weaver
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Megan Click & Margeaux Gwynne-Vaughan 8435774522x
A word from Charleston Grill
The Charleston Grill offers Contemporary Lowcountry cuisine featuring fresh local produce, seafood & game, prepared with a French accent. Emphasis is placed on the quality of the ingredients, unique presentations & sophisticated textures. Local ingredients include rabbit, oysters, crabmeat, shrimp, fish, duck, greens & grains. Paneled walls, herringbone floors, softly padded carver chairs & local folk art blend with live jazz to create an elegant, but casual setting. The private Vintner's Room features walls of glass-fronted wine cellars showcasing the impressive stock of vintages from around the world.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Charleston Grill - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
Charleston Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
197 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (167)romantic (138)fit for foodies (128)notable wine list (110)neighborhood gem (34)good for groups (27)hot spot (22)vibrant bar scene (14)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (5)great for brunch (4)great for lunch (4)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Excellent DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/20/2014The service was extraordinary. This was the first time dining at Charleston Grill and I'm sure to return!Special Features:
- Great dinner out!diningoutatthebestDined on 10/18/2014Atmosphere, service and food were all outstanding! Recommend it be on everyone's list for dinner when visiting Charleston!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic and delicious!Lucky1VIPDined on 10/18/2014Dinner was amazing! Beautifully presented and excellent quality. Beef was the best we have had.. Bread was hard to resist! Little corn muffins and wonderful rolls. My husband had scallops that were perfectly cooked. Service could have been more attentive for a restaurant of this caliber but overall a fine dining experience and we would definitely recommend it. Live jazz music was perfect.. In the background but not intrusive. Would highly recommend this for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic and ComfortablepopsDined on 10/18/2014We had a great experience. Food is very good and service was great. Beautiful room that is large, comfortable and quiet, which is hard to find in Charleston.Special Features:
- FantasticK2BgardDined on 10/18/2014This was our first visit to Charleston and the Charleston Grill. The food and service was top notch. Absolutely the best lamb I have ever had. The menu offers four different 'genres' of tastes so there is something to please every taste. Also a tasting menu so you can try a little of each. Even the dessert was terrific. We will absolutely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- World class dinnerBillDined on 10/18/2014Excellent food, and very professional, friendly service. Up scale dining including jazz groups nightly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Good food but extremely noisy. If conversation is important go elsewhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVED it!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/14/2014A perfect place for our special occasion! Because it was raining and we were staying in the hotel, we selected this restaurant and we're SO glad we did. It was nothing less than spectacular. Attentive service, fine cuisine and an elegant dining room. Would definitely return for a special time.Special Features:
- Over-pricedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/13/2014The food was good and so was the service but it is very overpriced.....$183 for two people with one glass of wine each, appetizer and main course....no dessert or coffee.Special Features:
- A superb eveningjrghistoryVIPDined on 10/13/2014We were visiting Charleston and celebrating my wide's birthday. Though there were many choices in that excellent restaurant city, I chose Charleston Grill on the basis of OpenTable and Zagat comments, and I was delighted that I did. From the moment we walked in to the time we left, we were treated to a spectacular meal with service to match. The waitstaff was prompt but not hasty and chatted with us. The menu offered four styles of food, and we leaned toward the Southern, though it was supplemented by an amuse, a palate cleanser, and cookies. Each dish was perfect. The ambiance was enhanced by a trio playing soft jazz. We enjoyed elegance that's rare these days in our home area, Philadelphia. We look forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- Fantastic meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/10/2014Our meal at The Charleston Grill was delicious. We had a shrimp appetizer that was a party in your mouth with every bite, very clean and bright with a little kick from the jalapeño peppers. The shrimp were sliced length wise so you got a piece in every taste. The crab cake appetizer was perfectly balanced from a slightly crunchy crust with big lump fresh crabmeat. I had a scallop entree with chorizo oil on the plate, seared scallops and a slice of soft not to salty sausage placed on each one. Delicious combination! My husband wanted some traditional southern fare so he ordered the fried catfish creole. He cleaned his plate. I tasted the dish and it was spot on. Wonderful time. Jazz music in the background. Service was superb!Special Features:
- Fabulous ServicecagonencDined on 10/10/2014Charleston Grille had the best service and drinks. The wait staff was outstanding especially Nicole, always at the table with whatever we needed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ana523Dined on 10/9/2014Amazing! One of the BEST DINNERS we have had in a long time. Even the cocktails were incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wife's birthdayThomasDined on 10/8/2014got a great table near to the live music. very attentive staff who made us feel most welcome. the food was excellent. we both had fish dish and it was perfectly cooked. it is a grat plce to take someone for a special occasion. my wife was thrilledSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best In CharlestonlivemusicDined on 10/8/2014The food, wine, and service are the best in Charleston. The Charleston Grill remains our favorite restaurant for special occasions or just a fun night out. The live music really sets this restaurant apart from others in the city.Special Features:
- Six women and we had a ball.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/4/2014The service was outstanding. We enjoyed everything about the restaurant. I actually have eaten there several times, but the others had not. They all loved the food and wine!Special Features:
- Simply Awesome!ZetlmyrVIPDined on 10/2/2014This was the second time my wife and I dined at Charleston Grill. As luck would have it we found ourselves in Charleston for our Anniversary. Mickey the Manger of Charleston Grill and his staff are the best in the restaurant industry. I know because I travel for business weekly and have dined at top notch restaurants all across the USA. Mickey, himself stopped by our table several times to see how we were enjoying ourselves. He went above the call of duty to help us select some champagne and nice bottle of wine. The food again was incredible. The flavors the chef at Charleston Grill is able to create are amazing. From the appetizers to the desserts everything is top notch. They even throw in a few extra surprises.Special Features:
- Date nightSCBabsDined on 10/2/2014Perfect place for a rare date night. Awesome service, incredible food, perfect ambiance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So disappointing!FoodiesRUsDined on 10/1/2014Everything at the Grill was good but uninspired. You could have had this meal anywhere there was a decent chef. The ambiance is old school boring. For the price it is simply not worth it.
- Worth a trip to CharlestonBillVIPDined on 9/29/2014The Grill was recommended to us by a relative with the comment, "it is one of the best places I have ever been." We took the challenge and it was. We ordered the Chef's table with the wine pairing. What an experience! Every course was different and an explosion of flavors. My only recommendation is, do not have anything to drink before you go as the pairings will be more than adequate. And to enterain you during the meal, they have one of the best jazz trios that I have heard in quite a while.Special Features:
- Just WonderfulmryoswayDined on 9/27/2014My wife and I visited the Charleston Grill for our 10 year anniversary and were treated like the Royal Couple of England. The meal was absolutely outstanding, the service was very professional yet very personable and attentive, the wine selection was excellent.....I don't have a single negative comment to say!Special Features:
- Outstanding.BabyDined on 9/27/2014The staff was amazing and the food more than outstanding. I look forward to a return visitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding restaurant!HermosabeachVIPDined on 9/25/2014The service, food, and ambiance was impeccable. Every plate was beautifully created and delicious. There was classical live music which added to the sophisticated ambiance. And the service is top notch. Overall, it's definitely the best restaurant in Charleston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Annual Anniversary PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/25/2014The Charleston Grill has become our annual place to eat for our wedding anniversary. The food and service never disappoint; both are consistent, the food superb and the service outstanding but never hovering.Special Features:
- Sunday nightdoug123Dined on 9/21/2014We were in Charleston for 8 days and we here on our 2nd night. The night before Saturday night we went to Peninisula Grill and had a excellent experience on all levels. Not so much here. In reality everything was good just not special in any area. The room was very nice,good table,service was good but the meal was somewhat disappointing but good. The pork chop was overcooked and we specified medium rare. We are afraid of pork. We were told the manager was a real delight and a well known character in the nightlife of Charleston. Even he seemed tires. So why would we recommend this place. It was a slow Sunday night and the energy level was just missing. I truly believe if we there on a Thursday night it would have been much better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/20/2014Unbelievable food and service! Will definitely go again... From the moment we walked in the door, we were treated as if we were the only customers in the restaurant...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- special occasionsdrharryDined on 9/20/2014A bit pricey but very good. I would go back for a special occasion. A great spot for romance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic experience!StevethefoodloverDined on 9/18/2014Read reviews and booked with s couple of great friends - the crab cake appetizer was the best. I've had and the pork chop was over the top. Service was perfect in ever way!Special Features:
- Won't want to missLynnieDined on 9/16/2014Charming and relaxing dining. Food complex with many textures. Presentation lovely. Wait staff exceptional. Local jazz ensemble complements your overall dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing dinner!LisarichDined on 9/14/2014We did the five course prefix menu and they allowed us to choose several things from the menu that sounded good. It was delicious! We were stuffed by the end. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lived up to ReputationOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/12/2014Enjoyed terrific service and food. Lived up to the expectations that had been set..will definitely dine there againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pibd2Dined on 9/11/2014The staff was outstanding!!! Temi & John did a wonderful job as our waiters!!! They were very entertaining & had GREAT recommendations. We were not rushed & thoroughly enjoyed our dinner. We always enjoy eating here.Special Features:
- Eclectic menuSPB1Dined on 9/8/2014Nice balance of meat and seafood but with unexpected flavors that surpass! The Candy Bars dessert is one of my top 5 favorites from around the world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jotay1944Dined on 9/7/2014Excellent really for special occasions felt really specialI would recommend this to a friend.
- kang25Dined on 9/7/2014This was our last night in Charleston and dinning at the Grill was a memorable occasion. We had a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 Star Service and Food!csc65Dined on 9/6/2014When it comes to excellent service and food The Charleston Grill does it to perfection in my opinion!!! The elegant decor and relaxing ambiance awake your dining senses yet calms the soul. The entire staff was outstanding. Our server Andrew and his co-server (I believe named Andre) were extremely polite and friendly, always helpful, plus their lighthearted demeanor and sense of humor made the evening fun, not to forget they were on their game seeming to be right on que all night! As for the food, it was prepared perfectly and displayed exquisitely as one would expect from 5 star dining. All of the aformentioned made what was a Birthday dinner out for our Daughter even that much more memorable! Thanks Charleston Grille for a great evening!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- at least as good as New York's bestskematikDined on 9/6/2014Great food, great ambience, and live jazz. What's not to like?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the bestrussellDined on 9/5/2014Dinner at Charleston Grill was one of the top highlights of our visit to Charleston. The dining room is beautiful, with music played at just the right volume. The servers anticipated our needs well and were extremely gracious. The highlight, though, is the food. We ordered from 3 of the 4 categories on the menu and enjoyed the diversity of types of dishes as all were outstanding. My wife and I left the restaurant saying that this was one of the truly great meals we've had.Special Features:
- 50th Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014From the moment we arrived we were treated like royalty. There was a congratulatory card on the table and two wait staff for us at all times. We were never rushed and were helped with our selections. The chef sent complimentary samples in between courses. We were treated to a special chocolate "Happy Anniversary" surprise treat to complete our fabulous dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/4/2014We've been to Charleston Grill on a number of occasions in the past, but not in the past few years. We at there last Thursday evening while celebrating our anniversary. Happily, it is still a first class restaurant. From the greeting upon entering to the end of our meal, the service was both friendly and attentive. The food was excellent and well presented. There is sufficient variety to appeal to almost any taste. The wine list is well conceived, and by today's standards, not overpriced. The space is just right: tables are not crowded together, and the ambience is best described as casually elegant. Highly recommendedSpecial Features: