224 King Street
Charleston, SC 29401Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.charlestongrill.com/
- Phone: 8435774522x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm Bar: 5:00pm Daily
Live Jazz: Sunday - Thursday 7:00pm -11:00pm, Friday & Saturday 8:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Low Country, American
- Executive Chef: Michelle Weaver
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Megan Click & Margeaux Gwynne-Vaughan 8435774522x
A word from Charleston Grill
The Charleston Grill offers Contemporary Lowcountry cuisine featuring fresh local produce, seafood & game, prepared with a French accent. Emphasis is placed on the quality of the ingredients, unique presentations & sophisticated textures. Local ingredients include rabbit, oysters, crabmeat, shrimp, fish, duck, greens & grains. Paneled walls, herringbone floors, softly padded carver chairs & local folk art blend with live jazz to create an elegant, but casual setting. The private Vintner's Room features walls of glass-fronted wine cellars showcasing the impressive stock of vintages from around the world.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Charleston Grill - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
Charleston Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
191 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (165)romantic (143)fit for foodies (119)notable wine list (104)neighborhood gem (36)good for groups (24)hot spot (20)vibrant bar scene (13)late-night find (8)great for brunch (6)scenic view (6)kid-friendly (6)great for lunch (6)great for outdoor dining (4)Show More
- Just WonderfulmryoswayDined on 9/27/2014My wife and I visited the Charleston Grill for our 10 year anniversary and were treated like the Royal Couple of England. The meal was absolutely outstanding, the service was very professional yet very personable and attentive, the wine selection was excellent.....I don't have a single negative comment to say!Special Features:
- Outstanding.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/27/2014The staff was amazing and the food more than outstanding. I look forward to a return visitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/25/2014The service, food, and ambiance was impeccable. Every plate was beautifully created and delicious. There was classical live music which added to the sophisticated ambiance. And the service is top notch. Overall, it's definitely the best restaurant in Charleston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Annual Anniversary PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/25/2014The Charleston Grill has become our annual place to eat for our wedding anniversary. The food and service never disappoint; both are consistent, the food superb and the service outstanding but never hovering.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/20/2014Unbelievable food and service! Will definitely go again... From the moment we walked in the door, we were treated as if we were the only customers in the restaurant...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- special occasionsdrharryDined on 9/20/2014A bit pricey but very good. I would go back for a special occasion. A great spot for romance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic experience!StevethefoodloverDined on 9/18/2014Read reviews and booked with s couple of great friends - the crab cake appetizer was the best. I've had and the pork chop was over the top. Service was perfect in ever way!Special Features:
- Won't want to missLynnieDined on 9/16/2014Charming and relaxing dining. Food complex with many textures. Presentation lovely. Wait staff exceptional. Local jazz ensemble complements your overall dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing dinner!LisarichDined on 9/14/2014We did the five course prefix menu and they allowed us to choose several things from the menu that sounded good. It was delicious! We were stuffed by the end. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lived up to ReputationOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/12/2014Enjoyed terrific service and food. Lived up to the expectations that had been set..will definitely dine there againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pibd2Dined on 9/11/2014The staff was outstanding!!! Temi & John did a wonderful job as our waiters!!! They were very entertaining & had GREAT recommendations. We were not rushed & thoroughly enjoyed our dinner. We always enjoy eating here.Special Features:
- Eclectic menuSPB1Dined on 9/8/2014Nice balance of meat and seafood but with unexpected flavors that surpass! The Candy Bars dessert is one of my top 5 favorites from around the world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jotay1944Dined on 9/7/2014Excellent really for special occasions felt really specialI would recommend this to a friend.
- kang25Dined on 9/7/2014This was our last night in Charleston and dinning at the Grill was a memorable occasion. We had a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 Star Service and Food!csc65Dined on 9/6/2014When it comes to excellent service and food The Charleston Grill does it to perfection in my opinion!!! The elegant decor and relaxing ambiance awake your dining senses yet calms the soul. The entire staff was outstanding. Our server Andrew and his co-server (I believe named Andre) were extremely polite and friendly, always helpful, plus their lighthearted demeanor and sense of humor made the evening fun, not to forget they were on their game seeming to be right on que all night! As for the food, it was prepared perfectly and displayed exquisitely as one would expect from 5 star dining. All of the aformentioned made what was a Birthday dinner out for our Daughter even that much more memorable! Thanks Charleston Grille for a great evening!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- at least as good as New York's bestskematikDined on 9/6/2014Great food, great ambience, and live jazz. What's not to like?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the bestrussellDined on 9/5/2014Dinner at Charleston Grill was one of the top highlights of our visit to Charleston. The dining room is beautiful, with music played at just the right volume. The servers anticipated our needs well and were extremely gracious. The highlight, though, is the food. We ordered from 3 of the 4 categories on the menu and enjoyed the diversity of types of dishes as all were outstanding. My wife and I left the restaurant saying that this was one of the truly great meals we've had.Special Features:
- 50th Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014From the moment we arrived we were treated like royalty. There was a congratulatory card on the table and two wait staff for us at all times. We were never rushed and were helped with our selections. The chef sent complimentary samples in between courses. We were treated to a special chocolate "Happy Anniversary" surprise treat to complete our fabulous dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/4/2014We've been to Charleston Grill on a number of occasions in the past, but not in the past few years. We at there last Thursday evening while celebrating our anniversary. Happily, it is still a first class restaurant. From the greeting upon entering to the end of our meal, the service was both friendly and attentive. The food was excellent and well presented. There is sufficient variety to appeal to almost any taste. The wine list is well conceived, and by today's standards, not overpriced. The space is just right: tables are not crowded together, and the ambience is best described as casually elegant. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/3/2014The service was second to none and the food was fantastic. We would definitely eat here again on a return trip to Charleston.Special Features:
- A very good meal56BWDined on 8/30/2014It was a busy night, but the hostess was able to seat us a bit earlier than our original reservation. For appetizers we enjoyed the Duo of Smoked Trout (both cold and hot smoked), and the Octopus Salad. Both were delicious. The octopus was sliced thinly and was pleasantly firm, but not chewy and the flavor combination with the heirloom tomatoes and capers was perfect. My entrees of Sea Scallops with Chili-Chorizo Vinaigrette and Morcilla was a wonderful play on texture and flavors. The scallops were melt-in-your mouth tender. My husband enjoyed the Grilled Kurobuta Pork Chop with Chanterelles and Red Eye gravy. As sides we had the Fried Okra with garlic-dill aioli and the Roasted Cauliflower with capers, dates and brown butter. Yum.Special Features:
- Love it!Rebok87Dined on 8/30/2014This is one of our favorite restaurants and the food is awesome. The staff is wonderful and very professional.Special Features:
- Still the BestBeachdadVIPDined on 8/30/2014Charleston Grill never disappoints. Mickey, the maestro, is ever present making sure everything runs smoothly. It was our 46th anniversary and he poured us a glass of Dom Perignon! The food was spectacular and the service is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/30/2014Amazing dinner. Best experience in Charleston by farSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best in CharlestonHelenDined on 8/30/2014We have never been disappointed! The food, the service, the total experience is great. I had the scallops and they were excellent.Special Features:
- Disappointedarl1234Dined on 8/30/2014Because we had heard that Charleston Grill was a Charleston "establishment", we were looking forward to a wonderful evening and a delicious meal. The ambiance is very formal and the service was nice. The menu seemed interesting, and our appetizers -- the gazpacho and the foie gras -- were very good. But both of our entrees were a huge disappointment. My husband had the Thai fish, which was tasty, but more like fish soup. And I had the lobster with pappardelle which sounded delicious but was not good at all. The cheese sauce was sharp and did not complement the lobster at all. Really not good. And to add to the frustration, the restaurant is very, very expensive (my entree was $55). I feel cheated out of a meal in Charleston!
- A must go-toOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/29/2014Service was impeccable. Our waiters ( yes, waiters ) were attentive without being over-bearing, the food was wonderful and brought to the table at the perfect intervals. Definitely a 5 star dining experience . Will eat there again when in charleston.Special Features:
- Menu is meh and deceptiveVisitingNYCDined on 8/28/2014Over the years, we've been to Charleston Grill many times when we visit. It seems that the dining experience keeps declining. With Charleston having so many great restaurants to try, we're going to drop the Charleston Grill off our list of restaurants to go to when we visit. We both had to study the menu for quite a while to find something we though looked appealing. What we had was ok, but certainly not pleasantly memorable. The menu descriptions are very sparse. I have some food allergies. One of the dishes had one of the ingredients that I'm allergic to, but it wasn't listed in the menu. I tried nibbling around the dish to avoid the ingredient, but it was difficult to do. We didn't like being seated in the lounge area.
- One of the bestLegendVIPDined on 8/27/2014One of the best overall dinning experiences I've ever had. The staff is off the chart. This place is a must.Special Features:
- Tops in CharlestonBoomerDined on 8/27/2014Superb dining experience. We have dined at some of the best restaurants in the world in London, Paris New York, Milan and elsewhere. The Charleston Grill is a match with any of them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinnerVoyagerDined on 8/24/2014My wife and I enjoyed dinner Sunday night. The octopus salad was exceptional. I would order again in a heartbeat. My flounder was well presented and perfectly cooked, but perhaps the mound of various vegetables it was placed on could have had better flavor separation. Wine selection and service was superb. Our water and wine glasses were filled throughout the meal - nice to have such attention. In a city with many fine restaurants, Charleston Grill remains in the top group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SUPERB!theyoungfoodieVIPDined on 8/23/2014Last night, my family and I dined at Charleston Grill and we absolutely LOVED every dish that came our way! The crab cake was the best crab cake I've ever had! The seared flounder along with the pork chop were two fantastic entrees one could never make in their own kitchen. In addition, the fried okra was out of this world! Our meal ended with some savory salted caramel ice cream and jelly-filed donuts with an espresso creme. Not to mention the little pralines, cupcake, chocolate and cheddar scones as a thank you present. Overall, our dinner at the Charleston Grill was out of this world and if you don't go, your definitely missing out!Special Features:
- AWSOME experanceShaneandKimDined on 8/22/2014We went for our anniversary and it was all we expected and more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A trip back in timePaulYDined on 8/19/2014The setting and service were reminiscent of days gone by where the waiters addressed you by Mr. or Mrs. Smith, napkins were folded if you got up and water and wine glasses were never empty. It was also a nice touch when the waiter brought a special dessert plate for my wife's birthday without even having been asked. The food was good, but just not memorable.Special Features:
- Great TimeDaveSDined on 8/18/2014This was our third visit back to Charleston Grill...Once again we had a wonderful experience. From the time that we arrived, until the time we departed we were treated in a friendly, welcoming manner...The food has been consistently great... Mixed drinks/cocktails were "spot on!" The service has been consistently impeccable! We will return for another special occasion...or sooner! You're missing a gem of the Charleston restaurant scene if you do not visit this restaurant!Special Features:
- Over-ratedOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/16/2014My husband and I were visiting Charleston for the first time, chose this restaurant because of its #2 ranking and great wine list. Our evening started off great, but went downhill fast. Wine we ordered came within minutes, cocktails and the waitress disappeared within minutes. Waited over 20 minutes before my husband had to ask (her assistant) for our cocktails. He brought them, but had to ask us what we ordered. Our Waitress knew nothing about the menu of food grouped under various headings. All she offered by means of explanation, "you can order anything from any column".... We figured it out and ordered. Food arrived, (average) and we never saw her again. The food, service and experience did not live up to its rating.Special Features:
- Below ExpectationsFoodiesDined on 8/16/2014With their four star rating we were expecting a special dining experience, not so! We had a very nice server, but the server does not make the meal. I had flounder served on a bed of succotash. The fish was very dry and over cooked and did not work with succotash presentation. My wife had Nantasket scallops, which were very good except for the unknown black presentation on the top of each. It was cooked to the point of no taste. Have had much tastier meals elsewhere for less money. Can not recommend.
- The perfect anniversary dinnercharlestonvacaDined on 8/12/2014My husband and I chose The Charleston Grill for our anniversary dinner, while vacationing in Charleston. Our service was perfect, we felt completely pampered. All the food we had was amazing, including the mango pickled shrimp, beef tenderloin, bread, and dulce de leche profiteroles. We enjoyed the wines recommended by our waiter and the live jazz throughout the evening. It really was the perfect evening. Pretty pricey, be prepared to spend over $200 for a couple, but well worth it for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Lovely ExperienceNancyDined on 8/12/2014The staff went out of their way to make our anniversary dinner special. Service was very attentive but unobtrusive. The experience lived up to our high expectations.Special Features:
- Excellent service, Bad foodLJ7Campbell7Dined on 8/7/2014The location in town, ambiance and service was absolutely excellent! However, the good was less than sub par. For the price, it wasn't even worth it. Is there such a thing as being overly fancy? Because that's exactly how I felt about the food here. I'd keep everything else about this place including the wine list and special treatment if you make reservations :) But they have to do something with that menu!Special Features: