224 King Street
Charleston, SC 29401Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.charlestongrill.com/
- Phone: 8435774522x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm Bar: 5:00pm Daily
Live Jazz: Sunday - Thursday 7:00pm -11:00pm, Friday & Saturday 8:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Low Country, American
- Executive Chef: Michelle Weaver
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Megan Click & Margeaux Gwynne-Vaughan 8435774522x
A word from Charleston Grill
The Charleston Grill offers Contemporary Lowcountry cuisine featuring fresh local produce, seafood & game, prepared with a French accent. Emphasis is placed on the quality of the ingredients, unique presentations & sophisticated textures. Local ingredients include rabbit, oysters, crabmeat, shrimp, fish, duck, greens & grains. Paneled walls, herringbone floors, softly padded carver chairs & local folk art blend with live jazz to create an elegant, but casual setting. The private Vintner's Room features walls of glass-fronted wine cellars showcasing the impressive stock of vintages from around the world.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Charleston Grill - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
Charleston Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
204 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (184)romantic (155)fit for foodies (121)notable wine list (114)neighborhood gem (40)good for groups (19)hot spot (19)vibrant bar scene (13)late-night find (12)scenic view (8)kid-friendly (7)great for brunch (7)great for outdoor dining (5)great for lunch (5)Show More
- A very good mealOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014It was a busy night, but the hostess was able to seat us a bit earlier than our original reservation. For appetizers we enjoyed the Duo of Smoked Trout (both cold and hot smoked), and the Octopus Salad. Both were delicious. The octopus was sliced thinly and was pleasantly firm, but not chewy and the flavor combination with the heirloom tomatoes and capers was perfect. My entrees of Sea Scallops with Chili-Chorizo Vinaigrette and Morcilla was a wonderful play on texture and flavors. The scallops were melt-in-your mouth tender. My husband enjoyed the Grilled Kurobuta Pork Chop with Chanterelles and Red Eye gravy. As sides we had the Fried Okra with garlic-dill aioli and the Roasted Cauliflower with capers, dates and brown butter. Yum.Special Features:
- Love it!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014This is one of our favorite restaurants and the food is awesome. The staff is wonderful and very professional.Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/30/2014Amazing dinner. Best experience in Charleston by farSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best in CharlestonHelenDined on 8/30/2014We have never been disappointed! The food, the service, the total experience is great. I had the scallops and they were excellent.Special Features:
- A must go-toOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/29/2014Service was impeccable. Our waiters ( yes, waiters ) were attentive without being over-bearing, the food was wonderful and brought to the table at the perfect intervals. Definitely a 5 star dining experience . Will eat there again when in charleston.Special Features:
- Menu is meh and deceptiveVisitingNYCDined on 8/28/2014Over the years, we've been to Charleston Grill many times when we visit. It seems that the dining experience keeps declining. With Charleston having so many great restaurants to try, we're going to drop the Charleston Grill off our list of restaurants to go to when we visit. We both had to study the menu for quite a while to find something we though looked appealing. What we had was ok, but certainly not pleasantly memorable. The menu descriptions are very sparse. I have some food allergies. One of the dishes had one of the ingredients that I'm allergic to, but it wasn't listed in the menu. I tried nibbling around the dish to avoid the ingredient, but it was difficult to do. We didn't like being seated in the lounge area.
- One of the bestLegendVIPDined on 8/27/2014One of the best overall dinning experiences I've ever had. The staff is off the chart. This place is a must.Special Features:
- Tops in CharlestonOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/27/2014Superb dining experience. We have dined at some of the best restaurants in the world in London, Paris New York, Milan and elsewhere. The Charleston Grill is a match with any of them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinnerVoyagerDined on 8/24/2014My wife and I enjoyed dinner Sunday night. The octopus salad was exceptional. I would order again in a heartbeat. My flounder was well presented and perfectly cooked, but perhaps the mound of various vegetables it was placed on could have had better flavor separation. Wine selection and service was superb. Our water and wine glasses were filled throughout the meal - nice to have such attention. In a city with many fine restaurants, Charleston Grill remains in the top group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SUPERB!theyoungfoodieVIPDined on 8/23/2014Last night, my family and I dined at Charleston Grill and we absolutely LOVED every dish that came our way! The crab cake was the best crab cake I've ever had! The seared flounder along with the pork chop were two fantastic entrees one could never make in their own kitchen. In addition, the fried okra was out of this world! Our meal ended with some savory salted caramel ice cream and jelly-filed donuts with an espresso creme. Not to mention the little pralines, cupcake, chocolate and cheddar scones as a thank you present. Overall, our dinner at the Charleston Grill was out of this world and if you don't go, your definitely missing out!Special Features:
- AWSOME experanceShaneandKimDined on 8/22/2014We went for our anniversary and it was all we expected and more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A trip back in timePaulYDined on 8/19/2014The setting and service were reminiscent of days gone by where the waiters addressed you by Mr. or Mrs. Smith, napkins were folded if you got up and water and wine glasses were never empty. It was also a nice touch when the waiter brought a special dessert plate for my wife's birthday without even having been asked. The food was good, but just not memorable.Special Features:
- Great TimeDaveSDined on 8/18/2014This was our third visit back to Charleston Grill...Once again we had a wonderful experience. From the time that we arrived, until the time we departed we were treated in a friendly, welcoming manner...The food has been consistently great... Mixed drinks/cocktails were "spot on!" The service has been consistently impeccable! We will return for another special occasion...or sooner! You're missing a gem of the Charleston restaurant scene if you do not visit this restaurant!Special Features:
- Over-ratedOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/16/2014My husband and I were visiting Charleston for the first time, chose this restaurant because of its #2 ranking and great wine list. Our evening started off great, but went downhill fast. Wine we ordered came within minutes, cocktails and the waitress disappeared within minutes. Waited over 20 minutes before my husband had to ask (her assistant) for our cocktails. He brought them, but had to ask us what we ordered. Our Waitress knew nothing about the menu of food grouped under various headings. All she offered by means of explanation, "you can order anything from any column".... We figured it out and ordered. Food arrived, (average) and we never saw her again. The food, service and experience did not live up to its rating.Special Features:
- Below ExpectationsFoodiesDined on 8/16/2014With their four star rating we were expecting a special dining experience, not so! We had a very nice server, but the server does not make the meal. I had flounder served on a bed of succotash. The fish was very dry and over cooked and did not work with succotash presentation. My wife had Nantasket scallops, which were very good except for the unknown black presentation on the top of each. It was cooked to the point of no taste. Have had much tastier meals elsewhere for less money. Can not recommend.
- The perfect anniversary dinnercharlestonvacaDined on 8/12/2014My husband and I chose The Charleston Grill for our anniversary dinner, while vacationing in Charleston. Our service was perfect, we felt completely pampered. All the food we had was amazing, including the mango pickled shrimp, beef tenderloin, bread, and dulce de leche profiteroles. We enjoyed the wines recommended by our waiter and the live jazz throughout the evening. It really was the perfect evening. Pretty pricey, be prepared to spend over $200 for a couple, but well worth it for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Lovely ExperienceNancyDined on 8/12/2014The staff went out of their way to make our anniversary dinner special. Service was very attentive but unobtrusive. The experience lived up to our high expectations.Special Features:
- Excellent service, Bad foodLJ7Campbell7Dined on 8/7/2014The location in town, ambiance and service was absolutely excellent! However, the good was less than sub par. For the price, it wasn't even worth it. Is there such a thing as being overly fancy? Because that's exactly how I felt about the food here. I'd keep everything else about this place including the wine list and special treatment if you make reservations :) But they have to do something with that menu!Special Features:
- Fall From GraceMyrtlerabbittDined on 8/6/2014Maybe it was the time slot we dined or possibly an off night but Charleston Grill was disappointing this week. It is our go to fine dining restaurant in Charleston and they have always come through with flying colors for dinner with delightful food preparations from their varied Pure, Lush, Cosmopolitan and Southern menus selections. My wife had catfish and I had the bone in pork chop and neither was very good nor were the flavors what we expect from their usually impeccably delivered fare. I will chalk it up to a one off bad experience and try them again.Special Features:
- One of best in CharlestonDrDelDined on 8/6/2014I have been living in Charleston for 22 years, and Charleston Grill among the top 5 dining experiences I have had in this VERY competitive foodie city. Dined there with my wife to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary, and ordered the Chef's 6-course special that essentially was a "surprise menu" with Chef Michelle's selections. It was FABULOUS! Service was personalized and exceptional--the waitress had even googled our names to connect better with us at the table. Live Brazilian Jazz music was perfect. I have read some of the few, quite silly and picky complaints on different review boards re this restaurant. There are now flaws with this elegant restaurant. Yes, it's more expensive than many. But you pay for what you get!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EloiseDined on 8/5/2014Limited seating times on Open Table and the restaurant was not busy at all. We would have prefered a different time and were surprised to see so many open tables. This makes me a little wary about using Open Table. Food was very good but the menu is small and fairly expensive.Special Features:
- ExceptionalFoodieDined on 8/5/2014I couldn't have imagined a better evening! The food was perfect, the service couldn't have been better!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb as alwaysLegrossoVIPDined on 8/2/2014This has been my favorite place for several years now, even with all of the new and wonderful restaurants in Charleston. If you want a night to put on your best and have an amazing experience with that special someone in your life this is the place to go. From the moment you walk in you are treated like royalty and usually greeted by the wonderful GM Mickey Bakst. He will personally make sure you have the best evening possible. Everything from the wine list to the food menu to the ambiance and service is perfect and will come together to create an evening you will remember forever. I love trying new restaurants and have a few that I frequent often but this place has always and will continue to always hold a special place in my heart.Special Features:
- luv2dineOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014excellent service, awesome interior, food was to die for. a wonderful eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExquisiteseekingexceptionaldiningDined on 8/2/2014A beautiful restaurant with a calming ambiance, superb and kindly service, southern hospitality and attentive and knowledgeable staff. The menu is a work of art with an array of truly delicious dishes. You can take a look at their menu on line before you make reservations. I had summer vegetables with tonnato sauce as my appetizer and would go there to eat that every week if I lived in the area. My meal and dessert were just as good! Charleston Grill delivered on every detail they expressed on their website. The presentation of the food as well as the flavors were beyond my expectations.Special Features:
- Still Great, but...WelltraveledfoodieVIPDined on 8/1/2014We are frequently in Charleston, and the Charleston Grill is one of our favorite restaurants. We eat there often. This time, however, instead of spectacular, it was only average. I am hoping that this is an unusual exception to the rule and not the new norm. I still adore this restaurant, and I am hoping that the food and service will be better next time we go.Special Features:
- PerfectlanceludmanDined on 8/1/2014In a world class restaurant city, Charleston Grill stands above all others for its incredible attention to the dining experience. Add to this the best food in town. Unique in Charleston, and comparable to the best restaurants in the world.Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/1/2014I started with the She Crab soup which, in my opinion, is the best in Charleston. The chef and pastry chef sent tasteful tidbits between courses - a welcome touch. This is the restaurant for special occasions in Charleston. On one side of us, we had a couple celebrating their 5th wedding anniversary, while on the other side of us, a couple became engaged.Special Features:
- Outstanding in every way!SteakLoversDined on 7/28/2014Superlatives don't begin to describe my husband's 75th birthday dinner at the Charleston Grill. We were warmly welcomed at the front entrance and quickly seated at the booth nearest to the delightful jazz trio. Nicole, our server, pulled out all the stops to make this event one that we will never forget. Her excellent recommendation on a wine paring for our prime filets made this perfectly prepared entree the best we have ever experienced. The chocolate dessert sampler was to die for and a fitting finale for this very special birthday. The personal service, the food and wine, the location, and the romantic decor were all superb. Now I want to come back to repeat the experience for MY birthday in September!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey But Worth ItKayceeDined on 7/27/2014From the moment we arrived, we were impressed with the wait staff - personable yet professional, they exuded welcome and justifiable pride in what Charleston Grill has to offer diners. The imaginative "mix and match" menu was inspiring and flexible, the wine list made us gasp at first but had several less expensive options upon closer inspection. We thoroughly enjoyed every course and the fabulous live Sunday night jazz was a bonus. A great night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly recommendOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/26/2014We dine out often and at the end of the meal it's usually that was pretty good Not here! Everything from start to finish was outstanding. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantAngieDined on 7/25/2014This probably the best fancy meal we had in Charleston. Everyone dresses nice here. I highly recommend the crab cake as it was one of the best I have had anywhere and I eat them quite often. A great place for Anniversary dinner. Highly recommend checking out Thoroughbred bar also in the hotel for a drink before dinner. Get a table next to the garden window at the Grill for a great view.Special Features:
- FayeFuntofoodVIPDined on 7/25/2014Outstanding service by Nicole! Loved the food - the salad with peas and asparagus is unbelievable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my best dining experiencesSongbirdieDined on 7/25/2014My dinner at Charleston Grill was my favorite and most memorable dining experiences in Charleston, and one of the best of my life! Each course of fresh ingredients was prepared with the perfect balance of textures and layers of flavors. There was a great live jazz band, the atmosphere was very romantic but not too stuffy. The owner spoke with us and went out of his way to suggest numerous other dining and other experiences for our trip, and was such a wonderful host. We took several of his suggestions, and he was dead-on! The weight staff was prompt, friendly and very knowledgable. I can't speak highly enough of my experience. Every course was superb, the service was excellent, and the atmosphere was beautiful.Special Features:
- GREATGIGGYDined on 7/25/2014CELEBRATED OUR ANNIVERSARY AND OUR SON'S BIRTHDAY. COULD NOT HAVE BEEN MORE PLEASED WITH THE FOOD AND THE SERVICE WAS IMPECCABLE. ALWAYS OUR CHOICE FOR SPECIAL OCCASIONS.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- had a fabulous timesheistDined on 7/23/2014It was amazing to be in the atmosphere. I will tell all my friends about it definitely a 10.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb Dining for SC and RegionallyOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/21/2014We dined on Monday the 21st of July. It was another memorable dining experience as we try to visit once or twice annually. The food was absolutely amazingand the accompanying wines paired perfectly with our selections. The service was impeccable. The Charleston Grill is magnificent!Special Features:
- Excellent!gapeachwholuvs2eatDined on 7/19/2014We recently went to celebrate our anniversary. My husband had the ribeye and I had the prime beef tenderloin. We both agreed that it was the best steak we had ever eaten. We had the smoked quail appetizer as well and it was wonderful with the Alabama white sauce. Our servers also presented us with an assortment of chocolates and candies with a piece of white chocolate on top that said "Happy Anniversary" as well as some delicious moscato. It was a very nice ending to a perfect meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MomoriesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/19/2014We chose Charleston Grill as we have spend many days in the Hotel when building our home in Seabrook. Charleston Grill was our refuge after a long day. Now 14 years later and and our anniversary we could not think of a better place to celebrate. One little fly in the ointment, we were presented with the bill before having finished our wine or being asked if we wanted coffee etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very uniqueCrisssDined on 7/19/2014Centralized restaurant, expensive but modern cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.