209 Queen St.
Niagara-On-The-Lake, ON L0S 1J0Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: CAN$51 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.niagarasfinest.com/properties/charlesre
- Phone: 9054684588
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Saturday - Sunday: 8:00 am - 11:00 am;
Lunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00 am - 5:00 pm;
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00 pm - 8:00 pm, Saturday - Sunday: 5:00 pm - 8:30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Steve Sperling
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, BYO Liquor, Fireplace, Full Bar, High Tea, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Charles Inn
The Dining Room is located in the old parlour and still features its original crystal chandeliers. The room is now painted a warm persimmon colour and offers comfortable upholstered banquettes and wing back chairs along with the more traditional dining chair. Whether taking afternoon tea and scones or savouring a multi-course meal prepared by Chef de Cuisine Steve Sperling, dining at the Charles Inn Restaurant is always special. Our wine list features the best that Niagara has to offer including a wonderful selection of ice wines to accompany that special dessert. During the warmer months, a candle lit dinner can be enjoyed on the side verandah which overlooks the gardens as well as North America's oldest golf course. After dinner, guests are welcome to enjoy a glass of port or ice wine or perhaps a specialty coffee in the adjoining lounge or sit on the verandah to enjoy the evening sky. The dining room is open seven days a week.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Charles Inn - Best Restaurants in Niagara-on-the-lake ›
Charles Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
151 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (104)romantic (86)fit for foodies (77)great for outdoor dining (46)notable wine list (45)neighborhood gem (31)great for lunch (27)scenic view (19)good for groups (10)great for brunch (6)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (4)hot spot (3)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- A Gem in Niagara-on-the-LakeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014Great food, great presentation and atmosphere. We would highly recommend The Charles Inn for a special evening.Special Features:
- Enjoyed Charles InnDickBDined on 9/12/2014Dinner at the Charles Inn was a memorable experience in a town where great restaurants abound. The venue was extremely attractive; the food exquisite and the service impeccable. What's to complain about? Essentially nothing; the prices were somewhat high but that was of little consequence considering the grand evening we had. Would return in a minute!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good formal diningDavidDined on 9/12/2014I ate at the Charles twice this last trip. The restaurant was excellent and service superb. So why not five stars? The second time I dined I had the tasting menu, which was slightly disappointing. The halibut was served a tad too dry (pan seared rather than oven roasted-a tricky preparation even for those on the West Coast where halibut is a staple) and the wine pairing was nothing special. There are a few excellent wines in the Niagara region, but none were paired with the meal. But these are fairly small quibbles: the dinners were generally excellent. The rooms were kept quiet (thank you!!!). Both waiters were attentive but not bothersome and knew their menu and restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love this placeArtEDined on 9/11/2014We were guests for five nights in this wonderful Inn but had not booked dinner here because one of is a vegetarian who has not had good experiences with French food. However, for our fourth night, we changed our minds and booked dinner and were VERY HAPPY with extraordinary delightful creative meals. To our observation, this is not an example of heavy sauce pretentious French but very creative modern tasty food. My veggie soup was outstanding as were everything else served. Definitely coming back next time we head to the Shaw Festival in NOTL.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Meal at Charles InnOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/10/2014I could not have been more pleased with my dinner at Charles Inn. The food, service, ambience (I sat outdoors on the verandah) were all excellent. The baby greens salad appetizer was delicious and was serviced with a local prosciutto and a tasty shaved cheese although I forget its name. My entree of sausage-wrapped pork tenderloin with bok choy was fantastic and paired well with a bottle of Southbrook cab-merlot. This is a great place for foodies and is conveniently located for the Shaw Festival theaters. I had avoided Charles Inn in the past because from the outside it looks a bit "stuffy", but it's not. I will definitely return here next time I am back in Niagara-on-the-Lake!Special Features:
- Showing some wearBCinDCVIPDined on 9/8/2014The best food in the region but the restaurant is showing some wear with stained and worn seat cushions and scuffed woodwork. Our service suffered due to another table enjoying a six-course sampling menu with wine pairings that the staff was just not able to manage. Still the best food in NOTL but service and ambiance has taken a hit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasting menu a delightOperabuffDined on 9/5/2014Took advantage of ordering the tasting menu and wine pairing. lovely. There was a nice variety of favors, textures, and colors with the Diver scallop, Quebec Foie Gras, the pan roasted halibut, the Ontario tenderloin and short rib. The wine service which accompanied my meal was a great way to be introduced to a number of Niagara escarpment wineries. Executive chef, Steve Sperling is a marvel. His use of the highest quality ingredients shows off Canada's bounty. Lovely farm and vineyard to table approach.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed Charles Inn diningluvnycVIPDined on 8/30/2014We dined on the veranda out back with a marvelous view of the gardens. Lunch was scrumptious and the service was superb.Special Features:
- Very slow servicechasDined on 8/28/2014Especially for a restaurant where it could be expected many diners would be going to the theater afterwards, the service was intolerably slow. The delay between courses was consistently too long. The lowlight was over a 20 minute wait after the salads were removed. We arrived 15 minutes early and still had to depart without coffee or dessert in order to be sure we would get to our show on time. And we told our waiter when we first arrived that we had theater tickets; he assured is there would be no problem.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/28/2014Our favorite restaurant in Niagara on the Lake. Consistently high quality of food,excellent staff,excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerKennethDined on 8/27/2014Came here for our 20th Anniversary Dinner, and it was great. Service was excellent and we had a view of the golf course, and of course the food was well served and fit the bill. May have consumed a bit too much wine but this is wine country. They made our evening special.Special Features:
- A good experiencebeviDined on 8/26/2014They dishes overall were good and were enjoyed. The location and ambiance is lovely. Options to eat outside. Disappointing that the steak and short rib dinner was without short rib. Since the menu is very small this dish is important. It is advertised as being prepared over 72 hours and we were the first people in the restaurant for the night so I couldn't understand how they didn't have the short rib! They would have known their quantities were low 3 days prior! They only deducted $3 for the omission to the plate! The bread basket (always a marker of a good restaurant) sported only a few bland dinner rolls. Interesting breads would have been appreciated.Special Features:
- nap1Dined on 8/25/2014One of the best meals ever! Our server Dylan was great and each course was better than the last!Special Features:
- Great EveningOutstandingDined on 8/24/2014Food was fabulous - service was great. Presentation of food was done with care and knowledge; Amanda our server was outstanding; timing of food was spot on. Very nice, old building with character and atmosphere. This is a great place for fine food, fine wine and great atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional Food!food42Dined on 8/23/2014I honestly cannot remember the last time I enjoyed a meal as much as I did our dinner at the Charles Inn! Starting with a small sampler of a carrot and ginger soup, which was complements of the chef, you were left wanting more! I make my own gazpacho but their gazpacho left me wanting the recipe; it was the best I've ever had As well the pork meal we had left us without a morsel remaining on the plate. Service and ambience too were outstanding. Thanks for a very memorable evening. We can't wait until our next visit.Special Features:
- Did NOT like sitting on the porchSEBDVMDined on 8/23/2014Food wonderful, our server Amanda sweet/efficient, HATED being on the porch. Should have complained immediately, BUT, SINCE THE DINING ROOM WAS 1/2 EMPTY, WE SHOULD HAVE BEEN GIVEN A CHOICE. Arrived early for our 6 pm reservation. Unsmiling hostess said, "follow me" we did, walked right back past the dining room and she said " I'm seating you in our glass enclosure" IT WAS THE GLASS ENCLOSED PORCH. WE WERE THE ONLY ONES THERE, EXCEPT FOR THE WAIT STAFF WHO KEPT THUMPING BACK AND FORTH PAST OUR TABLE GOING TO THE KITCHEN AND OUT TO THE PATIO. THE FLOOR SHOOK AND IT WAS VERY NOISY AND UNPLEASANT HAVING PEOPLE TROOP PAST OUR TABLE. Said something to Amanda, she indicated would have been seated in dining room if possible, so prob not!.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- meal qualitysunshineDined on 8/22/2014The sampler was enough for 2 seniors to share. Very enjoyable. The prime rib was good. There was over use of chick(?) peas as a vegetable. Wine list was extensive. Service was very good.
- NicknameVIPDined on 8/20/2014Charles Inn thinks its dishes are more sophisticated than they really are. I can't complain about anything, but I can't rave either. The restaurant's pretension suggests that the chef believes he's providing an experience grander than his actual accomplishment.
- consistent high quality diningCooksMateDined on 8/18/2014We have eaten at Charles Inn several times and have always enjoyed a high quality dining experience. Service is excellent. The food is creative and well-prepared. The atmosphere is formal but very friendly and not too noisy. The prices are fair given that NOTL is not a destination for cheap dining. The only minor suggestion I would make to management is the menu is a bit limited, although I suspect this results from a conscious decision to offer a smaller menu of excellent choices rather than dilute the quality with a larger menu. Nonetheless, Charles Inn is a top choice for dining in NOTL.Special Features:
- CharmdatCharlsDined on 8/17/2014was a great choice for my wife and I for our anniversary dinner. We sat at one of the window tables...most comfortable. While we did not do the 5 course wine pairings, Martin our phenomenal waiter did pair wines to the three courses we did choose.Special Features:
- Attentive, knowledgeable servicepaulluellaDined on 8/16/2014Our waiter made our dinner most memorable. Having said that, the food was quite memorable too. Fine dining, and priced accordingly. But the service was competent, nicely timed, and the food very nicely presented. No negatives at all. Will return when we are next in N-O-T-L.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A GemTonyDined on 8/15/2014Allan our waiter was excellent. His recommendations were very good. We both had fish and it was excellent. We were not hurried and had lots of time to get to our show. Very reasonably pricedSpecial Features:
- Great diner with friendspierrenicDined on 8/14/2014Our diner reservation for 6:30 p.m. on August 14, 2014 was on time. We had very good food and very good wine. We specialy enjoy the Gaspacho soup ( so different and so good) also the porc tenderloin was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ValOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/11/2014A truly "Fine" dinning experience. Tasting menu and wine pairing well worth the price!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- standout in NOTLacf767Dined on 8/9/2014delightful tasting menu, well-paired wines, a refined venue. Overall, a pleasant evening of fine diningSpecial Features:
- Will not returnFanLoverDined on 8/7/2014We were very disappointed. We had been to this restaurant one other time and loved it, but had a very mediocre dinner there due mostly to the service. Although our waiter was polite, he was extremely officious. After waiting more than an hour for our first course, he offered no apology or gracious explanation as to why the kitchen may have been backed up. It wasn't that crowded there, but he made no effort to engage himself to the customers including the ones at the table adjacent to us that sent back their halibut. Our meals were generally scrumptious, but it took two and a half hours for the three of us to dine, and we skipped dessert.Special Features:
- Lovely outdoor dinner!MINDYDined on 8/7/2014Our first night in NOTL after a long drive and we had such a lovely, relaxing dinner on their patio. My husband had the mushroom salad and I had the quinoa cake, both of which were inventive and delicious. For the main dishes I had the very rich and outstanding, upscale msc and cheese, my husband had the Shepherd's pie. Our server was so friendly and thoughtful- she even recommended a local gelato place for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool old restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/5/2014Excellent food. Reasonably priced for the quality. Very cool old building.Special Features:
- Good choice on the main streetBmanVIPDined on 8/3/2014Our dishes were very good, our server was excellent. Great wine list of local wines. We sat in the dining room - apparently the menu on the porch is different
- Our 10th anniversary dinner.TravellerDined on 8/1/2014A must go for people that appreciate quality. The heritage building with its large verandas and beautiful gardens made it a very romantic place to have lunch. The food and the service were so good that we came back for dinner. My new favorite restaurant in Ontario.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentGlutton79Dined on 7/26/2014This place is old school elegance with a tonne of charm. The tasting menu, paired with Niagara wines, was absolutely delicious. Highly recommended for special occasions in particular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great nightcocoeatsDined on 7/25/2014this was our second time dining at the Charles Inn and it was wonderful. We ( family of 4) sat on the verandah & it was a lovely night, view of the golf course. The service (Dylan) was very good, food amazing( presentation was excellent),wine even better... Would chhose this place next time we visit in the Fall.Special Features:
- Spoilt by serverKatysamVIPDined on 7/24/2014Beautiful dining room and exquisite food but the loud, intrusive, patronizing server really took the enjoyment away. We did not need a dissertation on the fact that champagne is only champagne if it comes from Champagne, our bill presented before it was requested, hovering over us with step by step instructions on how to work the credit card machine, nor the loud booming voice which could be heard all over the restaurant. We were really not interested in where the server lived, how he has a Nexus card, the comparative cost of items in the States and his sister's DUI (all relayed to a couple several tables way from us). Not what we expect in a fine dining environment.Special Features:
- A lovely dining experience!MouseMom39VIPDined on 7/24/2014We had two nights in Niagara-on-the-Lake, and based on excellent reviews, chose the Charles Inn for dinner before the theater at the Shaw Festival! The inn itself is lovely, and to be honest, I think we expected the food to be rather good, but a bit "old fashioned". Nothing could have been farther from the truth! The menu, though relatively small, was varied, and the food was fresh, expertly prepared, and the presentation was unrivaled! I would highly recommend dining at the Charles Inn!Special Features:
- Elegant diningDart76Dined on 7/19/2014Great tasting menu, expensive but fairly priced, wine pairings worked well, staff very enthusiastic and accommodating. Great dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place in a tourist townShw21Dined on 7/18/2014Niagara-On-The-Lake is a great tourist town that hosts the Shaw Festival Theater. So it is a bit laid back. The Charles Inn restaurant is one of the more “formal” restaurants in town. That does not mean you need a coat and tie but you would not be out of place wearing either. However, the place is not stuffy. There is a relaxed quite atmosphere that goes with the great food. There is a limited menu with every item well done and most of the food is from local (at least Canadian) sources. Great wine list with virtually local winery represented. The wait staff is knowledgeable about both the food and the wine.Special Features:
- I cannot remember a better mealstevebVIPDined on 7/17/2014We went for a quiet dinner at 7:30 when no one is rushing to make it to the theater. The Charles Inn and grounds are lovely with a view of the gold course. The food was very good, well prepared and artfully presented. I especially liked the deconstructed French onion soup. My bowl arrived empty save for a bit of cheese, a dab of onion marmalade and a tortured, architectural "crouton". The boiling hot soup was added at the table. Smart new presentation. My roast chicken as accompanied by two forms of parsnips, while my wife's scallops had two forms of celeriac. I would like to have the five course tasting menu in the future.Special Features:
- Enjoyable eveninglaineyDined on 7/17/2014The food, service and ambiance perfect. Not a large menu, but what was offered was very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luvtovisitnolDined on 7/17/2014This was our first time dining at the Charles Inn. The service was impeccable and the food was very good. We had asked for a window table and got it. We loved the cozy, warm atmosphere of the restaurant. Niagara on the Lake is one of our favorite places to visit (we're from Toronto) and we will definitely plan to return to the Charles Inn on one of our future visits.Special Features:
- FABULOUS DININGNodrogdinerDined on 7/16/2014We had dined here several times before but they keep getting better each time. Food, service and ambience are superb. Well done againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.