679 Greenwich Street
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://charlemagnenyc.com/
- Phone: (646) 558-5623
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Sunday - Saturday: 8:00am - 11:00am; Brunch: Sunday - Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 1:00am, 5:30pm - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Charlemagne
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Charlemagne reviews from OpenTable diners
- decent food, oddly off servicecmarkDined on 1/7/2014We went on a really, arctic night. So, I won't hold it against them that it was cold inside. The windows are huge, and waiters wedged bar towels into draft holes. FYI There was only 1 other table occupied. Yet despite us ordering 2 rounds of drinks (which gave the waiter ample interaction with us) he never brought bread. We finally asked for bread from the could-be owner as he brought the appetizers. When my steak came, I had to ask the server (some 3rd guy) for a steak knife. Food itself was pretty good. Interior is beautiful.
- Bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 12/31/2013Terrible service, staff did not know what they were doing.
- New Year's Eve Dinner for oneMonaDined on 12/31/2013Found this little corner West Village restaurant to be a delightful culinary experience. Superb Foie Gras, Petite Filet Mignon done exactly the way I'd asked for it to be done. Service was polite and respectful. Overall a lovely spot true to its French heritage. Definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like stepping in to a Paris bistrowesttexasDined on 12/27/2013We were there early, so cannot comment on the scene later, but we had a wonderful dinner with quite attentive and friendly servers. The octopus appetizer was wonderful!. The Moules and Frites were perfect and my husband's Char was quite tasty, as others had recommended. Unhappily no room for dessert. Next time. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a most enjoyable brunch. WouBobbeDined on 12/22/2013We had a most enjoyable brunch. Would like to return soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for neighborhoodWatchdogVIPDined on 12/18/2013Sophisticated space serving classic brasserie food, well prepared. Especially the succulent roast chicken.Special Features:
- Great New Spot in the West VillageCharlieSigVIPDined on 11/21/2013This is a great new spot on the West Village...good simple dishes prepared well in a beautifully designed space. This is simple bistro fare done well.Special Features:
- Slim selectionRobertVIPDined on 11/15/2013What they had was OK. No standouts. Nothing unique that any of us had. Also, odd that a French restaurant did not serve bread. Also a bit pricey. Overall, OK, but a lack of effort and no reason to go back.Special Features:
- Great Food, Fun AtmosphereDannyDined on 11/1/2013Everything was delicious! Only beer and wine, which we didn't know in advance, but that was ok. We'll definitely go back. They waiter, manager, and owner were all very hospitable and warm and friendly.Special Features:
- This was my third time thereEjoemikeVIPDined on 10/19/2013This was my third time there but the first for dinner. The place has a nice long bar so it's a great place to meet friends for a glass of wine or two. The bartender was friendly and helpful. I had the leg oh lamb for dinner and it was perfect. I will definitely be there againSpecial Features:
- Great neighborhood additionMickDined on 10/18/2013I love this restaurant. The oysters, the ambience, the beautiful tin ceiling, and the fact that you are never rushed. In addition you can hear your friends as the room never gets too noisy. The Arctic char was crispy and moist and the Brunello, my favorite wine, was delicious. I have been there a few times with friends and family and everyone loves it. Tuna tartar and grilled squid lovely, and I always get the kale and apple salad which is perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great Findvillage30Dined on 9/21/2013place looked really nice from outside so made a reservation..what a surprise as food was wonderful, service great and no crowds or noise..perhaps that was good for us but not for restaurant...i imagine place will catch on and then be too noisy but for now it was a pleasure..a place to surely go back toSpecial Features:
- Don't believe the summer reviews.Meet2chatDined on 9/11/2013I read the negative reviews from the past summer and took a leap of faith to go anyway. I am certainly glad I did. It was the perfect neighborhood restaurant to meet a friend and catch up. The service was warm and friendly and food original and to taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect neighborhood restaurant.WatchdogVIPDined on 8/8/2013Perfect neighborhood restaurant. I've eaten here 3 or 4 times and it has always been very satisfying. A great addition to the area.Special Features:
- An easy choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/24/2013Simple yet tastefully created French bistro cuisine. Great spot to pop into for a glass of wine and some steak frites with some delicious hericot verts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent servicePaoloVIPDined on 7/20/2013Authentic atmosphere with attentive service. The tables are adequately spaced so you don't feel cramped in like in your average West Village restaurant. We'll definitively be back!Special Features:
- disappointingnycdinerVIPDined on 7/17/2013i went to the resto when it first opened 2+ months ago and couldn't stop raving about it. since then, the menu has changed, the service is not as friendly/efficient and i am amazed that they still do not have a liquor license.
- Great food - new spot in townOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/12/2013Open since 9 weeks only, this restaurant is a great gem I strongly recommend. Food is amazing, we had both meat and fish and we were really satisfied. The wine list is also very notable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good stuffMickeyVIPDined on 7/12/2013The food was very good and the space is very old New York in feel. It's great to have a nice bistro in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/2/2013I have been to Charlemagne five time since it opened. Each visit was memorable - sevice is friendly and professional. The food is always delicious and fresh. And the oysters are divine! I do miss the skate from the original menu, but as I was told by one of my servers, they are constantly refining the menu and changing it according to what is fresh and seasonal at market. Bravo!Special Features:
- Good-not GreatroserDined on 6/28/2013We like that this place is here and think it is a good addition to the neighborhood. That said, it has a bit of kinks to work out. The first time I went there the host (male) was super welcoming and accommodating and helped make space at the bar.The bartender was friendly and helpful. The second time I visited we stayed for a meal. The food was forgettable and not enough. Fries were bland and not crispy enough, kale salad wasn't interesting, mussels were not enough. The plus were the oysters. We had a hard time getting our servers attention a few times for drink orders and the only desserts were fruit and cheese which was disappointing. I really liked the ambience, lighting, decor etc and will try it again as location is perfect.Special Features:
- Awful tablesOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/28/2013Well it's hit-or-miss. Food was actually very good but they have one of those main rooms where the butts from the bar are in your face at your table the entire meal. And no one tries to corral them (actually the manager was trying to pick up two women next to us for part of it). Not going back, but it's a shame, it had promise
- The food was bland and overpriced.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/23/2013The food was bland and overpriced. The music was loud.The staff was friendly and helpful, but without good food, what's the point? I live in the neighborhood and wish this place was better.
- New go-to spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/12/2013I absolutely love this place. Was there the first week and it is my new go-to when ever I have to plan a night in the city or have friends in town. Service is friendly and the food is outstanding. Every place has growing pains in the beginning, and even though they have made some changes since opening day, it remains consistent and continues to win me over every time. The restaurant is simply beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New restaurant is only 2 blocksOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/7/2013New restaurant is only 2 blocks from our apartment so we really wanted to like it but the food was horrible. Place is attractive, server was good but food was so bad it rivals the worst I've had.
- New SpotCasaGrandeDined on 5/30/2013The raw seafood bar was great and appetizer choices yummy. Main dishes did not really catch my eye but seemed good. Once they get a little more months behind them, kinks will be worked out and it will be tough to get a reservation! Will be the hot spot!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Potential, But A Little Offlawroo79VIPDined on 5/29/2013Great potential with this restaurant, and quality food. Service, however, was slow. Perhaps this was caused by problems with the kitchen. In addition, out of many wines and a few appetizers. A lot of the glitches hopefully will be ironed out in the next few weeks/mths since the restaurant is so new.I would recommend this to a friend.
- It has a lot of potential,gaflick57VIPDined on 5/28/2013It has a lot of potential, great open and airy space, as others have observed. Can be convenient when you need place for dinner in that area.Special Features:
- Beautiful restaurant, withOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 5/14/2013Beautiful restaurant, with uniquely bold elements to draw you inside and make you linger. Friendly, welcoming staff—especially the bartenders, who were very attentive and fun. We didn't try much of the food, but the spring vegetable salad was flavorful with nice textures, cottage fries were OK, and burger was decent. Nothing memorable about the food (the wine wasn't bad, either) based on what we ate, but we'll definitely return, if only just to hang at the bar. Now, the music. Unlike the rest of the place which feels thoughtfully curated and considered, the music was a random, mediocre hodgepodge. We did like the volume which wasn't so loud that you couldn't carry a conversation comfortably, but please reconsider what you play!Special Features:
- Welcome AdditionOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/2/2013Something different for the neighborhood. Light and airy, wonderful food , excellent service and charming ambience. My only complaint would be that I would like all windows to be open to the street - really open! As a very local resident I will certainly come back often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a good beginningL0la132VIPDined on 5/1/2013We had dinner at Charlemagne on its 7th day. We arrived a bit early ( they later told OpenTable we were "no shows"). They seated us in a cramped little table in the rear. A very pleasant waitress appeared with menus -- and that was the last time any of the service happened on time. The water took forever to come, it was a long time before our orders were taken and the food took forever. The wiatress was quite apologetic and refilled our wine glasses on the house but she was powerless to make the kitchen function. The food when it arrived was just OK. Salads were acceptable, The fries had wilted. Mussels were too big and pretty dull. We live around the corner so we wanted to love this place. They have a lot to fix before we can.
- its great to have this additionOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/1/2013its great to have this addition to the neighborhood. very nice staff and great food. I hope they maintain their cheerfulness and quality as the years go on. But in either case, welcome to the neighborhood!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.