101, 899 Centre Street SW
Calgary, AB T2G 1B8Neighborhood:
NorthwestPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.charcut.com/
- Phone: 4039842180
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Tuesday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Wednesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 1:00am, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Northwest, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Connie DeSousa and John Jackson
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from CHARCUT
"Top Chef" season 1 finalist, Connie DeSousa Co-Chef / Owner of this new restaurant located in Downtown Calgary. Featuring urban-rustic cuisine with a custom-built rotisserie and charbroiler, vintage-style slicer and hand-crafted charcuterie eating bar. A contemporary and inviting gathering place, CHARCUT combines local chef-driven cuisine with Italian and Country French accents. Ingredients are sourced from small, local artisan farmers and ranchers, with herbs harvested daily from its own garden, minimizing the miles food travels. Open late night with a full menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
CHARCUT - Best Restaurants in Calgary ›
CHARCUT reviews from OpenTable diners
278 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (182)special occasion (133)great for lunch (113)good for groups (97)hot spot (92)notable wine list (61)romantic (54)neighborhood gem (38)late-night find (21)vibrant bar scene (16)great for brunch (9)kid-friendly (9)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/28/2014This is the second time we went to Charcut, and it was almost the exact opposite of the first time we were there. The first time we were there, it was fun, and the owner even came around several times to see how things were. This time, the service was very poor, and the food was Luke warm. When I had a problem with my meal, I had to wait about 8 minutes for the waitress to come by the table. My reservation included some comments saying it was a special occasion - they never even acknowledged it, nor even provided any concessions for the cold food. Overall, I think the restaurant has gone downhill, and I am going to have a hard time getting my wife to want to go back after our terrible first wedding anniversary experience there.Special Features:
- Birthday Date NightanightoutDined on 9/27/2014What an awesome experience not only for a birthday dinner but a date night too. We both enjoyed the sourdough bread, Escarole Salad and the Poutine. All three were incredible. I had the prime rib which was delicious and my husband had the rotisserie chicken, very tasty, but a bit dry. We shared some wine too. The only blip in the evening was when I had ordered the 1969 cocktail in honour of my celebration, we were told they ran out of the ingredients but our server made up for that when she had the bartender create me something unique. I will give credit as the drink was amazing. As well, because of the issue we were not charged for my drink. Thank you so much for making my birthday and date night with my hubby a fantastic one.Special Features:
- Nice but overpricedMegaDaveDined on 9/26/2014Overall the restaurant is fine but nothing spectacular and based on the price, it is simply too expensive. Nice beer selection with some unusual and tasty beer choices. Shared appetisers of bread and a cold-cut plate, expensive but nice. Five of us ordered the bison brisket and while it was certainly unlike any typical brisket, I can't say it impressed me. A number of slabs of thick cut bison in a nearly "soup" concoction took away from the enjoyment of the meat. My daughter-in-law had the half chicken and found it very dry. Price of over $550 for 8 people including 2 non-drinkers, no bottles of wine and no desert is just too high. The place is busy though and lots of parking nearby.Special Features:
- It's all about the food...RoadTravelerDined on 9/21/2014Excellent and creative food that lived up to its hype. Butcher Steak was fabulous! There was a minor mix-up in the timing of delivery of the courses but the manager quickly steeped in to solve the issue. I would highly recommend this downtown Calgary spot...it was very alive for a Sunday night.Special Features:
- Excellent food and servicesclintowDined on 9/19/2014All of the food that we had was excellent. I think that is the best service that I have ever received.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing lunch!SlickRickDined on 9/19/2014Charcut's $15 daily lunch special absolutely has to be the best lunch option I have ever had. The sandwich, soup, parm fries, and take out cookies were all spectacular...and for the same price as a burger at any chain restaurant. I can't wait to try them for dinner on my next trip to Calgary.Special Features:
- Top 10 DT YYC Lunch SpotsBryAGDined on 9/17/2014Fast, friendly service, two options for express lunch, superbly executed food. Charcut meets and exceeds my requirements for sit down lunch spots in Calgary. If you're on a cheat day, pair your lunch with a salad and split the poutine with your guest. Well curated wine list has something for all palates. These guys kill it day in and day out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great! But...AngLDined on 9/16/2014The food was very tasty! Our server was great as well. However, we were not big eaters and when we ordered, we felt that the server was pushing for us to eat more than we were able. I didn't really like the pressure of having to eat more (and pay more) than I am comfortable, I don't really like wasting food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmedflayvafirstDined on 9/15/2014Valet service excellent; toilets not clean. Waiter (bearded from Québec) charming and helpful; waiter had too many tables to attend to; portion sizes were good. 2 had sausage burgers - OK; 2 had steak with chimichurri sauce; steak was cold; maybe a teaspoon of sauce; arugula salad boring; beet salad very nice; main sides flavourless potatoes and zucchini; desserts were boring and flavourless; noisy; serviettes left lint on our clothes; expected so much more attention to detail.Special Features:
- A great place to celebrateOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/13/2014My parents and my husband and I enjoyed another night out at Charcut to celebrate birthdays and a PhD defense. As always, the poutine was great and everyone enjoyed their main courses (steak, prime rib, and roasted chicken). Since we were celebrating a few things, the two desserts we ordered were on the house!Special Features:
- DinerXDined on 9/13/2014I took my girlfriend on a date here. It was extremely noisy and crowded. There was a table right beside us with four other people sitting on it. The tables were too close to each other. We went on a Saturday night. It might be better on week days.
- I'm still waitingDinerdeluxeDined on 9/12/2014Had a reservation and were still forced to wait almost an hour for our table. There was a big group and we were sat at an awkward bar table where the group was broken up. Once in the restaurant no apology or compensation offered for our wait. There was an extreme lag between appetizers and main course. The server suggested group sharing and we allowed him to place the order based on his expertise. He basically ordered us one of everything off the menu. The food was decent but extremely overpriced (I.e. Fish for 58 dollars). Our server was friendly but all in all the experience was less than satisfactory.Special Features:
- Family dinner awesome Overall!ABCDDined on 9/12/2014We went for a family Birthday dinner and it was perfect. The food was exceptional but I would say that 100% of our experience had to be because of Malorey our server. She help us build a perfect family style dinner. The beet salad, sausage burger, and carrot cake were the highlights for sure.Special Features:
- Great food and great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/12/2014We had a week long stay in Calgary and were disappointed with our restaurant experiences of the entire week until out last evening - thankfully we had great food and great service.Special Features:
- It's all about the meat!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/9/2014If you dine at Charcut, the meat platter is a must try! Every bite is prepared in house including the sausage, jerky, rillettes, ham and bacon! It was an outstanding start to our meal...in fact, I could barely touch my main course, I was so full. My son loved his sausage burger (best burger ever!) and my daughter's steak was cooked to perfection. My husband and I weren't crazy about our Hunter's Pie (too much meat!) and would order lighter fare next time. Veggies are sold as side orders....an unfortunate restaurant trend. Overall, very tasty. My big complaint was with the washrooms....unisex and not particularly clean...maybe I followed a slob, but in an expensive restaurant, I expect clean seats and floors.Special Features:
- Not our best experience this timeFoodRaverDined on 9/7/2014As mentioned, this wasn't our best experience at the Charcut. We always have raved about the food here and the service to friends and family. Our server was okay but I went thirsty too often. Also, we received our appys staggered instead of together. I don't like the semi-permanent menu. I loved going in and seeing a new menu all the time and trying new items. Loved the potatoes with sour cream and boar bacon! I could order just that and enjoy! We saw a lot of plates being bussed that had a lot of food left on them. Not sure what that was about. I would still recommend going to the charcut. The food is prepared beautifully and what we had was tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a hitvgeogirlDined on 9/4/2014Delicious, fresh food - always have the daily special at lunch. And the house-made sodas are awesomeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchRonyxDined on 9/4/2014I met a former colleague for lunch at Char Cut. The service was friendly and efficient even though the restaurant was full and busy. I had the full lunch special which made choosing really easy and it came with a little bag of cookies to take home. The menue had a range of offerings at various price levels that makes this suitable for most budgets. Overall, a great restaurant with great serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too noisy for a work lunchHHfromCanmoreVIPDined on 9/3/2014Food at Charcut is really excellent - and great value for the price. Always good lunch combos - excellent quality, can’t go wrong. The problem is that I’ve been there for lunch meetings on several occasions, and it’s always useless. Too loud to carry on a conversation, wide-open and distracting. It’s a shame because the food is so good, and the service is exceptional for Calgary. I think I’ll avoid it in the future though - at least at lunch time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The human elementFrankenFoodieDined on 8/31/2014After struggling through the short, ill defined, and somewhat off-putting menu, we found the food to be excellent; however, the entire night was ruined by poorly trained staff, horrible table placement, and a waiter that seemed to take vacations during the night. I would not recommend this place as there are other places in Calgary that serve food just as good, with staff that's trained to care.
- Looking forward to going back!DeprivedRedDeerianDined on 8/29/20141st time to this restaurant for both my Boyfriend and I. Came highly recommended by my Best Friend and we absolutely loved it! Very cool atmosphere & decor. The menu was a little confusing at 1st, but our Waitress was great at explaining how to order and what to expect. We loved the beet salad to start and shared the steak for 2 entrée that was cooked to perfection with poutine on the side (the Hostess raved to us how amazing the poutine was...and she was right) Only slight negative was that we did find the steak price high for amount given. We took a cheesecake & carrot cake To Go. Cheesecake was good....Carrot Cake was Outstanding!! Going back to Calgary again in a week just to eat here with my Bestie to celebrate our B-days :)Special Features:
- First Night out with the BabyDonnyPhunkDined on 8/29/2014Our baby turned 6 months old and we wanted to do something intimate with my wife and I. We decided on Charcut and called ahead of time to make sure having a baby was cool. They took care of us from beginning to end. He loved the environment and wasn't fussy at all. The staff were very attentive and the food was amazing. We hear lots of horror stories about eating out with a baby but Charcut and their staff made sure we were taken care of.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- deliciousdane11Dined on 8/27/2014We choose this restaurant for a special occasion we were celebrating. Mel, our server, was very knowledgeable and helped us out on what to choose. Everything was super flavourful and we waddled out stuffed. It is a bit pricey depending on how many choices you make, so not a restaurant we would choose on a regular basis. It was perfect for our special night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good not GreatBlue789Dined on 8/27/2014Everything about Charcut was good but not outstanding. There is nothing that I would need to go back for more of. Nothing really left a great lasting impression. I am glad that I went to see what it was all about but it is not a place that I need to return to.Special Features:
- ExceptionalSturdygirlDined on 8/25/2014Exceptional food in a great downtown location. Having lived in Europe and experienced some great cured meats charcuteries and Spain and Paris...this was every bit as good, and then some. Simply divine, cant wait until my next visit. Huge potions, great service. A great way to put Calgary on the dining map. Best restaurant in Calgary (and far beyond)!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impressed!jamesDined on 8/22/2014I choose Charcut on a recommendation from a friend, and I was very impressed. Not only was the food outstanding, but the service was superb. Our server was very knowledgeable, very professional, and very attentive. I would definitely recommend Charcut to everyone! Thank you for a great dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time eating red meat!PiggingoutDined on 8/22/2014Vancouverites deciding to try Charcut while in Calgary. We ordered the charcut board (smaller option), tomato salad for the entree we did family style, ordering some red meat with chimichurri sauce and summer squash and duck poutine as sides. Boyfriend loved the tomato salad described it as being very sweet tomatoes, fresh mozzarella and was thankful it wasn't drenched in olive oil. My favourite dishes was the salami and steak. It was extremely flavourful and very tender. Aside from the salad and charcuterie board, it would've been nice to have our dinner come out warm as opposed to room temp. It took away from the possible amazing flavours. Service was attentive but quite cold i.e. no smiles, minimal eye contact, dry repetitive jokes.Special Features:
- As expectedbirthdaygirl21Dined on 8/21/2014Great food as always. Service was lacking in timing. Waited too long for the sever to come back with our waters and at the end with our bill. Can't keep to a guaranteed 45min in and out lunch if they're not prompt...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Must VisitEmpireKittieDined on 8/20/2014If you love great food & yummy meat Charcut is the place to go! Every time my husband & I come to Calgary this is a must stop at restaurant. From the amazing cocktails (we love the Dark & Stormy and the 1969; a distilled gin caesar martini, yummy!!) to the delicious desserts (usually end with the cheesecake & chocolate parfait), every meal is a fantastic experience. The service is always wonderful, friendly and they can never do enough to make sure your meal is perfection. Now with the new menu we are even more excited to go back!Special Features:
- one offOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/20/2014I've been here many times and i've always received great service and food was always great. I came here recently for the quick lunch stop "in-and-out in 45 mins" and my food didnt come out until 40mins into the wait. I just packed the food and left with no time to eat and barely enough time to return to workSpecial Features:
- Charcut delivers again! 😊FlowerdrumsongVIPDined on 8/19/2014Thank you once again for a lovely meal. My friend who was with me during our lunch was blown away by the tastiness, freshness, and the wholesome food that we just had. As it was a going-away lunch for her, she was very happy that she gets to spend her one last meal in downtown at Charcut because it was really worth going to! Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charcut reviewTtna99Dined on 8/16/2014The restaurant is pretty noisy. The service is really, really slow - our server rarely check on us and didn't even deliver our food. The food is ok. I had the chimichurri steak which was good but I would have loved a little extra sauce. My husband had the prime rib which was pretty tasteless if it weren't for the au jus on top. The highlight for our meal was the sides! The smashed potatoes are amazing, and the poutine was heavy but fantastic!! Overall, our experience was pretty good but I don't think we will rush back there. Between the price of parking, the confusing menu and the average tasting, overpriced mains - not really worth the 3 hour sitting time.Special Features:
- OkLmfpDined on 8/15/2014Small portions, and tables very close together. Service good and food good.
- Absolutely amazing!Lulu123VIPDined on 8/14/2014I don't think I can say enough good things about Charcut. The food is incredible and the service amazing. Our server Amanda went above and beyond--she made great recommendations and she was patient with us and our questions. We shared a charcut board for our appetizer with a beet salad and it was incredible. We then shared several of the entrees for dinner and again it was incredible. The meat was very tasty and tender. I highly recommend visiting Charcut if you get the chance.Special Features:
- very good dessertOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/13/2014it is a very nice experience. second time. be careful on what you order ... it can easily be too much !!! the poutine is wow... the dessert are exceptionnal ... everything else is okSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing SpecialGmfoodieDined on 8/12/2014Being on the top spots of Urban Spoon, we were expecting much more. 2 items of the menu were not available, service had flaws (we got a dirty plate, sparkling water that was still twice, and food that was not ours was brought to our table twice. Food was unmemorable in general. On the plus side, truffle fries were good.
- is this the best restaurant ?OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/12/2014the food was great. don't miss the beet salad. The best Prime rib we ever had and the poutine is great. if you have a chance have a meal at Charcut.Special Features:
- Off their game?DLPCANADAVIPDined on 8/11/2014I regularly eat at Charcut (3-4 times per month). This time the service was tired and a bit lazy, the sparkling water isn't so sparkling (told thats the way it is), the lunch all st once which used to be promoted as 'in and out in 45mins' took 50 mins to get to table after being seated (no expaination when I asked what happened). Hope this isn't a trend.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible ServiceHou1VIPDined on 8/10/2014What a shame that a restaurant with such good food has such terrible service. It took over 35 minutes to get my starter (which was not even a cooked dish) and only after I asked to speak to the manager. With so many other good restaurants around, do I really want to go back and deal with such bad service? One waitperson and bad kitchen staff can really ruin things.Special Features:
- NettiDined on 8/10/2014We really like the food, it is different and we love the presentation. The service is outstanding. It is a bit noisy but I personally like it, feels vibrant and alive. We would like to come with family next time because it is ideal for groups and kids.Special Features: