101, 899 Centre Street SW
Calgary, AB T2G 1B8Neighborhood:
NorthwestPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.charcut.com/
- Phone: 4039842180
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Tuesday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Wednesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 1:00am, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Northwest, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Connie DeSousa and John Jackson
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from CHARCUT
"Top Chef" season 1 finalist, Connie DeSousa Co-Chef / Owner of this new restaurant located in Downtown Calgary. Featuring urban-rustic cuisine with a custom-built rotisserie and charbroiler, vintage-style slicer and hand-crafted charcuterie eating bar. A contemporary and inviting gathering place, CHARCUT combines local chef-driven cuisine with Italian and Country French accents. Ingredients are sourced from small, local artisan farmers and ranchers, with herbs harvested daily from its own garden, minimizing the miles food travels. Open late night with a full menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
CHARCUT - Best Restaurants in Calgary ›
CHARCUT reviews from OpenTable diners
289 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (201)special occasion (133)great for lunch (114)good for groups (111)hot spot (105)notable wine list (62)romantic (58)neighborhood gem (44)late-night find (25)vibrant bar scene (18)great for brunch (9)kid-friendly (9)great for outdoor dining (4)scenic view (2)Show More
- Great food great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014We have been before and will definitely be back. The charcuterie platter is worth the tripSpecial Features:
- Always deliciousMamayadaDined on 10/22/2014I'm never disappointed when I dine at Charcut. Food is amazing, service fantastic. All around great experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with CEO & ClientOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/21/2014I had our CEO in town to visit with a high-level client. I wanted a nice restaurant that felt "local" but was still classy. Both my CEO and client commented that Charcut was a great choice. The food was great, the service was great. Thanks for making me look good!Special Features:
- Just wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014The entire experience at Charcut is always delighftul. The food is unique and different every day and the service is top notch. They have a wonderful ambiance. If you're a meat lover, head over to Charcut, they care about their meat.Special Features:
- Good service, amazing food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/20/2014We always come here for special occasions and the food is always phenomenonal! Our server, Yvanna, was so warm and welcoming and took care of our special dining requirements as I'm a celiac. One of the best places in the city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous experienceFrecklesDined on 10/20/2014We were greeted by the most friendly manager. She arranged everything for us and a birthday token for one of us. This was totally unexpected and much appreciated. Thank you Charcut.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Amazing NightEmpireKittieDined on 10/19/2014So we have yet to be let down by CHARCUT. After our annual convention ended on Sunday, we were again treated to a fantastic time! After the initial reservation was made they phoned to inform us that the kitchen would be closing a half hour after our arrival, when I explained that this is our yearly tradition after convention the lady was kind enough to shift some things around and got us in an hour earlier. We left the food choices up to our server and he did a fabulous job on everything from drinks to appetizers to dessert. His sense of humour and the fact he wasn't bothered with having to stay late made the night that much more enjoyable. It is always a pleasure to visit this restaurant and we look forward to our next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lot of everythinggc8thereDined on 10/17/2014Charcut continues to amaze me. If you are looking for the perfect place; food, drink, ambience and location than look no further. I have had 100+ visits since it's opening and I can honestly say o have not been disappointed once, not even a little. The owners and staff take great pride in what they are providing and every little thing shows. Amazing as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome express lunchesFoodieandsonVIPDined on 10/17/2014Great quality, relatively inexpensive, express lunches that can have you in and out in 45 minutes. Kitchen is a well oiled machine and quality is NOT compromised.Special Features:
- Qick and delicious lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/14/2014Charcut's lunch in 45 minutes really delivers. And the food is delicious! I love my bag of warm cookies to go, along with a carry out cup of coffee. It means I can go out for a special lunch and still be back at work on time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Limited menuNannyDined on 10/12/2014We had the rotisserie chicken and it was succulent. We also shared a side order of fries with truffle gravy but could not finish because it was so rich. The menu is limited to maybe 3-4 choices per category. Our server was very helpful and friendly.
- Always excellentYegfoodiesDined on 10/12/2014I have been wanting to take my husband to Charcut for some time now, and he was not disappointed! Our server was excellent-personable and funny and made sure we were taken care of all evening. The food was impeccable as always-bone marrow was perfectly cooked, the bison was melt-in-your-mouth tender, and the truffle poutine was to die for. I just wish we had room for dessert! Thanks again, we'll be back next time we visit Calgary!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, horrible music.SuzzDined on 10/10/2014cheesy 80s tunes? totally took away from the overall experience.Special Features:
- Great Service and FoodKevinDined on 10/10/2014Excellent for food and service. The waitress even asked us if we were going the the theatre afterwards and timed our meal accordingly. That was a great little touch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CharcutnutritionfoodieDined on 10/3/2014The food here is fantastic and love that they source locally as much as possible for their food, and everything is made in house! The service is great and the food came out quickly. Great ambiance, but it was a bit loud but not unbearable. We could still have a conversation without yelling to the person across form you. I would highly recommend eating here.Special Features:
- DisappointingFezzikDined on 9/28/2014This is the second time we went to Charcut, and it was almost the exact opposite of the first time we were there. The first time we were there, it was fun, and the owner even came around several times to see how things were. This time, the service was very poor, and the food was Luke warm. When I had a problem with my meal, I had to wait about 8 minutes for the waitress to come by the table. My reservation included some comments saying it was a special occasion - they never even acknowledged it, nor even provided any concessions for the cold food. Overall, I think the restaurant has gone downhill, and I am going to have a hard time getting my wife to want to go back after our terrible first wedding anniversary experience there.Special Features:
- Birthday Date NightanightoutDined on 9/27/2014What an awesome experience not only for a birthday dinner but a date night too. We both enjoyed the sourdough bread, Escarole Salad and the Poutine. All three were incredible. I had the prime rib which was delicious and my husband had the rotisserie chicken, very tasty, but a bit dry. We shared some wine too. The only blip in the evening was when I had ordered the 1969 cocktail in honour of my celebration, we were told they ran out of the ingredients but our server made up for that when she had the bartender create me something unique. I will give credit as the drink was amazing. As well, because of the issue we were not charged for my drink. Thank you so much for making my birthday and date night with my hubby a fantastic one.Special Features:
- Nice but overpricedMegaDaveDined on 9/26/2014Overall the restaurant is fine but nothing spectacular and based on the price, it is simply too expensive. Nice beer selection with some unusual and tasty beer choices. Shared appetisers of bread and a cold-cut plate, expensive but nice. Five of us ordered the bison brisket and while it was certainly unlike any typical brisket, I can't say it impressed me. A number of slabs of thick cut bison in a nearly "soup" concoction took away from the enjoyment of the meat. My daughter-in-law had the half chicken and found it very dry. Price of over $550 for 8 people including 2 non-drinkers, no bottles of wine and no desert is just too high. The place is busy though and lots of parking nearby.Special Features:
- It's all about the food...RoadTravelerDined on 9/21/2014Excellent and creative food that lived up to its hype. Butcher Steak was fabulous! There was a minor mix-up in the timing of delivery of the courses but the manager quickly steeped in to solve the issue. I would highly recommend this downtown Calgary spot...it was very alive for a Sunday night.Special Features:
- Excellent food and servicesclintowDined on 9/19/2014All of the food that we had was excellent. I think that is the best service that I have ever received.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing lunch!SlickRickDined on 9/19/2014Charcut's $15 daily lunch special absolutely has to be the best lunch option I have ever had. The sandwich, soup, parm fries, and take out cookies were all spectacular...and for the same price as a burger at any chain restaurant. I can't wait to try them for dinner on my next trip to Calgary.Special Features:
- Top 10 DT YYC Lunch SpotsBryAGDined on 9/17/2014Fast, friendly service, two options for express lunch, superbly executed food. Charcut meets and exceeds my requirements for sit down lunch spots in Calgary. If you're on a cheat day, pair your lunch with a salad and split the poutine with your guest. Well curated wine list has something for all palates. These guys kill it day in and day out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great! But...AngLDined on 9/16/2014The food was very tasty! Our server was great as well. However, we were not big eaters and when we ordered, we felt that the server was pushing for us to eat more than we were able. I didn't really like the pressure of having to eat more (and pay more) than I am comfortable, I don't really like wasting food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmedflayvafirstDined on 9/15/2014Valet service excellent; toilets not clean. Waiter (bearded from Québec) charming and helpful; waiter had too many tables to attend to; portion sizes were good. 2 had sausage burgers - OK; 2 had steak with chimichurri sauce; steak was cold; maybe a teaspoon of sauce; arugula salad boring; beet salad very nice; main sides flavourless potatoes and zucchini; desserts were boring and flavourless; noisy; serviettes left lint on our clothes; expected so much more attention to detail.Special Features:
- A great place to celebrateOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/13/2014My parents and my husband and I enjoyed another night out at Charcut to celebrate birthdays and a PhD defense. As always, the poutine was great and everyone enjoyed their main courses (steak, prime rib, and roasted chicken). Since we were celebrating a few things, the two desserts we ordered were on the house!Special Features:
- DinerXDined on 9/13/2014I took my girlfriend on a date here. It was extremely noisy and crowded. There was a table right beside us with four other people sitting on it. The tables were too close to each other. We went on a Saturday night. It might be better on week days.
- I'm still waitingDinerdeluxeDined on 9/12/2014Had a reservation and were still forced to wait almost an hour for our table. There was a big group and we were sat at an awkward bar table where the group was broken up. Once in the restaurant no apology or compensation offered for our wait. There was an extreme lag between appetizers and main course. The server suggested group sharing and we allowed him to place the order based on his expertise. He basically ordered us one of everything off the menu. The food was decent but extremely overpriced (I.e. Fish for 58 dollars). Our server was friendly but all in all the experience was less than satisfactory.Special Features:
- Family dinner awesome Overall!ABCDDined on 9/12/2014We went for a family Birthday dinner and it was perfect. The food was exceptional but I would say that 100% of our experience had to be because of Malorey our server. She help us build a perfect family style dinner. The beet salad, sausage burger, and carrot cake were the highlights for sure.Special Features:
- Great food and great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/12/2014We had a week long stay in Calgary and were disappointed with our restaurant experiences of the entire week until out last evening - thankfully we had great food and great service.Special Features:
- It's all about the meat!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/9/2014If you dine at Charcut, the meat platter is a must try! Every bite is prepared in house including the sausage, jerky, rillettes, ham and bacon! It was an outstanding start to our meal...in fact, I could barely touch my main course, I was so full. My son loved his sausage burger (best burger ever!) and my daughter's steak was cooked to perfection. My husband and I weren't crazy about our Hunter's Pie (too much meat!) and would order lighter fare next time. Veggies are sold as side orders....an unfortunate restaurant trend. Overall, very tasty. My big complaint was with the washrooms....unisex and not particularly clean...maybe I followed a slob, but in an expensive restaurant, I expect clean seats and floors.Special Features:
- Not our best experience this timeFoodRaverDined on 9/7/2014As mentioned, this wasn't our best experience at the Charcut. We always have raved about the food here and the service to friends and family. Our server was okay but I went thirsty too often. Also, we received our appys staggered instead of together. I don't like the semi-permanent menu. I loved going in and seeing a new menu all the time and trying new items. Loved the potatoes with sour cream and boar bacon! I could order just that and enjoy! We saw a lot of plates being bussed that had a lot of food left on them. Not sure what that was about. I would still recommend going to the charcut. The food is prepared beautifully and what we had was tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a hitvgeogirlDined on 9/4/2014Delicious, fresh food - always have the daily special at lunch. And the house-made sodas are awesomeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchRonyxDined on 9/4/2014I met a former colleague for lunch at Char Cut. The service was friendly and efficient even though the restaurant was full and busy. I had the full lunch special which made choosing really easy and it came with a little bag of cookies to take home. The menue had a range of offerings at various price levels that makes this suitable for most budgets. Overall, a great restaurant with great serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too noisy for a work lunchHHfromCanmoreVIPDined on 9/3/2014Food at Charcut is really excellent - and great value for the price. Always good lunch combos - excellent quality, can’t go wrong. The problem is that I’ve been there for lunch meetings on several occasions, and it’s always useless. Too loud to carry on a conversation, wide-open and distracting. It’s a shame because the food is so good, and the service is exceptional for Calgary. I think I’ll avoid it in the future though - at least at lunch time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The human elementFrankenFoodieDined on 8/31/2014After struggling through the short, ill defined, and somewhat off-putting menu, we found the food to be excellent; however, the entire night was ruined by poorly trained staff, horrible table placement, and a waiter that seemed to take vacations during the night. I would not recommend this place as there are other places in Calgary that serve food just as good, with staff that's trained to care.
- Looking forward to going back!DeprivedRedDeerianDined on 8/29/20141st time to this restaurant for both my Boyfriend and I. Came highly recommended by my Best Friend and we absolutely loved it! Very cool atmosphere & decor. The menu was a little confusing at 1st, but our Waitress was great at explaining how to order and what to expect. We loved the beet salad to start and shared the steak for 2 entrée that was cooked to perfection with poutine on the side (the Hostess raved to us how amazing the poutine was...and she was right) Only slight negative was that we did find the steak price high for amount given. We took a cheesecake & carrot cake To Go. Cheesecake was good....Carrot Cake was Outstanding!! Going back to Calgary again in a week just to eat here with my Bestie to celebrate our B-days :)Special Features:
- First Night out with the BabyDonnyPhunkDined on 8/29/2014Our baby turned 6 months old and we wanted to do something intimate with my wife and I. We decided on Charcut and called ahead of time to make sure having a baby was cool. They took care of us from beginning to end. He loved the environment and wasn't fussy at all. The staff were very attentive and the food was amazing. We hear lots of horror stories about eating out with a baby but Charcut and their staff made sure we were taken care of.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- deliciousdane11Dined on 8/27/2014We choose this restaurant for a special occasion we were celebrating. Mel, our server, was very knowledgeable and helped us out on what to choose. Everything was super flavourful and we waddled out stuffed. It is a bit pricey depending on how many choices you make, so not a restaurant we would choose on a regular basis. It was perfect for our special night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good not GreatBlue789Dined on 8/27/2014Everything about Charcut was good but not outstanding. There is nothing that I would need to go back for more of. Nothing really left a great lasting impression. I am glad that I went to see what it was all about but it is not a place that I need to return to.Special Features:
- ExceptionalSturdygirlDined on 8/25/2014Exceptional food in a great downtown location. Having lived in Europe and experienced some great cured meats charcuteries and Spain and Paris...this was every bit as good, and then some. Simply divine, cant wait until my next visit. Huge potions, great service. A great way to put Calgary on the dining map. Best restaurant in Calgary (and far beyond)!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.