101, 899 Centre Street SW
Calgary, AB T2G 1B8Neighborhood:
NorthwestPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.charcut.com/
- Phone: (403) 984-2180
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Tuesday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Wednesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 1:00am, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Northwest, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Connie DeSousa and John Jackson
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from CHARCUT
"Top Chef" season 1 finalist, Connie DeSousa Co-Chef / Owner of this new restaurant located in Downtown Calgary. Featuring urban-rustic cuisine with a custom-built rotisserie and charbroiler, vintage-style slicer and hand-crafted charcuterie eating bar. A contemporary and inviting gathering place, CHARCUT combines local chef-driven cuisine with Italian and Country French accents. Ingredients are sourced from small, local artisan farmers and ranchers, with herbs harvested daily from its own garden, minimizing the miles food travels. Open late night with a full menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
CHARCUT - Best Restaurants in Calgary ›
CHARCUT reviews from OpenTable diners
303 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (202)special occasion (130)good for groups (126)hot spot (115)great for lunch (110)romantic (59)notable wine list (58)neighborhood gem (41)late-night find (32)vibrant bar scene (21)great for brunch (9)kid-friendly (8)great for outdoor dining (3)scenic view (3)Show More
- We were disappointed in CharcutKenGDined on 11/21/2014Both of our first choice meals, we were told would take 90 minutes to prepare. The food we ordered was quite bland. The restaurant itself was also stiflingly hot. All in all, we were not impressed.
- Delicious, sustainable, great serviceAnonDined on 11/21/2014I've been for lunch a few times and it's always good. The food is amazing, the service friendly. Only downside is because it's so busy it can be a little noisy and crowded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great for a big group at lunchweegeerVIPDined on 11/20/2014Our server was fantastic at getting our large group in and out quickly on a busy work day, and in working with the dietary issues at the table. The food was fantastic as always!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/19/2014Excellent food. Quite chilly if you're seated near the door. The noise level is high so not conducive to having a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Downtown Dinner spot for groupsHkirvVIPDined on 11/17/2014Friendly staff, good selection of beer and delicious meal. We ate family style and really enjoyed that.Special Features:
- Not sure if it was worth it...SkinnyDined on 11/16/2014The menu has a very limited selection of entries. It's quite pricy for the quality of food we received. I ordered this fancy New Zealand fish which I was prepared to be blown away but it tasted no different than an ordinary fish. My bf ordered a half roasted chicken which is literally just a half roasted chicken with no surprising texture or flavor. My over all experience was underwhelming.Special Features:
- Awesome food..amazing serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/14/2014Our very first visit but we will be back. Every morsel of our food was delicious! Beets, Escarole salad, prime rib, browned cauliflower, poutine and then... Salted caramel chocolate pudding....mmmm Zack was our server just attentive & awesome!! PERFECTSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great overall experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/14/2014One of the better restaurants I've had the pleasure of dining. The food quality, selection, and service were all exceptional. On top of that we were also late for our reservation. Even though it seemed busy, we were shown to a table promptly. The waiter was gracious and extremely knowledgable. I believe his name was Zack. He was very accommodating. The entire experience at charcut was favourable. The only criticism I could mention would be that my girlfriend and I felt the music to be a little loud. At times we found that we could not hear each other over the music. Overall we were extremely satisfied with the experience. We would definitely recommend and return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not have a table readyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/14/2014Did not have a table ready for my reservation at 12:30. By 12:50 after waiting for 20min we finally agreed to just sit at the eating bar as no table was available still.
- A lot of everythinggc8thereDined on 11/13/2014We had an amazing time add usual. This place has it all. Outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very accommodatinglike2eatDined on 11/10/2014Charcut was an excellent choice - especially when members of our party were unfortunately going to be late - as they were very accommodating to hold our table and get us in and out timely. Add to the that the great food and ambience.Special Features:
- Great food, great service!doubledateanniversaryDined on 11/8/2014We came out for our anniversary with some friends and were very impressed with the service! Our waiter was extremely knowledgeable about the food and made some great suggestions on wine parings. We definitely will be back!Special Features:
- Not so greatWent2dineDined on 11/8/2014We had a dinner here on a Friday night. Reservation at 6. Menu is great but the food wasn't. We ordered and literally within 90 seconds we had our food. It was clear it was pre plated and in the line waiting to be ordered because neither of our steak or prime rib was very warm. As we ate our Luke warm meal the bus boy lingered around the table waiting and waiting to grab out plates. We ako ordered a bottle of wine but since the Luke warm food was served in 90 seconds we had bearly had a glass and we felt like they were trying to rush us out. If we had adhered to their schedule we could have been out within 20 minutes. Not a great date night dinner experience.
- Absolutely AmazingLuvgreatfoodDined on 11/7/2014We ate at Charcut based on a recommendation from a friend. It did not disappoint. The service was excellent, the food was unique and delicious and the atmosphere was electric. Could have eaten every meal here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charcut's food will bring us back4thefoodDined on 11/5/2014Loved the food! The menu is creative and the food is presented beautifully. Portions are generous. Wine selection had a good range of wines - but would have been nice to see more Canadian content. We did however find it rather noisy. Not sure we if we (two couples over 60)are representative of your target market. The noise level was so high that it was very difficult to actually have a conversation - which is an important part of the dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasure.PandaDined on 11/5/2014We were celebrating a birthday and it was a very nice lunch. Coming to Charcut is always a treat for us. Love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place for Gluten FreeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014My boyfriend is pretty severely celiac and CHARCUT was able to accomdate everything, even making him his own Gluten-Free gravy for the poutine (a MUST have at this restaurant). The service was amazing and the food beyond delicious. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow, enjoyed the dinning experienceAmustvisitDined on 11/1/2014The cold cut and hot sausage platter was beautifully paired with roasted jalapeno and shredded cheese as accents..absolutely delicious. Well done to the creation of the homemade sausage. We will definitely return. As must visit to all foodies!Special Features:
- Good ExperienceCalgaryTorontoianDined on 10/30/2014Great niche restaurant. My carnivore friends would love the meat and charcuterie. My girlfriend and I had the Hunter's Meat Pie with brussels sprouts, bison potato, and mushrooms. The food was good, but didn't blow us away and certainly didn't live up to the hype. Flavor was ok and texture was a little too tough. Gravy was nice and thick but didn't have much flavor. Potato was good but no better than one I would make at home. Brussels sprouts were some of the best I've ever had. Would have loved to try the pig head mortadella but can't eat pistachios. Presentation was best I've ever seen. Would come back with meat lover friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!DanjDined on 10/30/2014The beef brisket was one of the best dinners I've had in a Calgary restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to eatKADLDined on 10/30/2014Service, atmosphere & food were great. Try the chocolate mousse for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely as always!FlowerdrumsongVIPDined on 10/28/2014Love Charcut with the 45 minutes express lunch as it comes with everything in the major food groups. We always have fun as the vibe is really upbeat but the food is always phenomenal! Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good fineOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/27/2014great to expose those out of town guest to fine local dinning that fits well with our local open, friendly atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousTexasToddVIPDined on 10/27/2014Very cramped, busy and loud restaurant. I was seated at the "bar" looking into the kitchen and it was well-run and they certainly communicate to insure everything is plated at the same time and delivered to the table hot. The churrascaria beef was perfectly cooked, the beef was excellent quality, and the sauce was delicious. However, the waitress was inattentive which started with saying she'd be right back for my wine order (the wait was so long I was gathering my things to leave), didn't deliver the food, asked how it was without waiting for the answer, and she neither delivered my bill nor take my credit card. I gave two stars for service because the kitchen was 5 stars and the waitress was 0 stars.Special Features:
- Didn't meet expectationstreatyourselfDined on 10/26/2014Came here on recommendation from locals. First impression was that the ambience was excellent, service attentive and drink selection diverse. Food however: Our starter the Charcut Platter that was $30 was very disappointing, as all the meats seemed like something we could have bought at a Safeway Deli Counter for much less and in a greater portion. The mains were fine albeit a little on the pricey side but we expected that, but my friend could not believe that he had come all the way from NZ to be served a fish caught back in NZ and most likely flash frozen to come over here. Tip: serve a fish from Canada and especially not something as tasteless as a Grouper that is a large fish and was served in an unexpectedly small portion.Special Features:
- Wonderful Evening OutRacingEdgeDined on 10/26/2014The food and service was outstanding. I just wish I had more of an appetite to try the Bison Brisket. I will next timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall it was alrightCyrusDined on 10/24/2014Came here during our stay in Calgary and it was an overall good experience. Our service was prompt and the food came out in a very timely manner. The place is a little noisy so if you're looking for a nice quiet evening, you may want to look elsewhere. The food was good, but it wasn't exactly phenomenal. The prime rib I had ordered was a little more on the rare than medium rare but I didn't quite mind and the presentation of the dish seemed a bit mediocre. It is no doubt a good place to eat, but as someone who is visiting Calgary and looking for flavours that are unique to this city, I would look elsewhere.Special Features:
- FantasticOkotoksDined on 10/24/2014The waiter recommended the burger but a small size as it is quite rich. It was awesome. The brisket was fabulous. Had a wonderful night. Would definitely go back.Special Features:
- fantastic experience!foodzDined on 10/24/2014Best experience I've had at a restraint in a while. Fantastic service, great food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/23/2014Great service and amazing food and beverages. Many unique items on the menu you don't typically see in Calgary. Share plates are fantastic.Special Features:
- Great food great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014We have been before and will definitely be back. The charcuterie platter is worth the tripSpecial Features:
- Always deliciousMamayadaDined on 10/22/2014I'm never disappointed when I dine at Charcut. Food is amazing, service fantastic. All around great experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyDined on 10/22/2014Food is prepared and presented in a very appealing manner. Great palce!Special Features:
- Dinner with CEO & ClientdprinDined on 10/21/2014I had our CEO in town to visit with a high-level client. I wanted a nice restaurant that felt "local" but was still classy. Both my CEO and client commented that Charcut was a great choice. The food was great, the service was great. Thanks for making me look good!Special Features:
- Just wonderfulKyleGDined on 10/21/2014The entire experience at Charcut is always delighftul. The food is unique and different every day and the service is top notch. They have a wonderful ambiance. If you're a meat lover, head over to Charcut, they care about their meat.Special Features:
- Good service, amazing food!AmayaneDined on 10/20/2014We always come here for special occasions and the food is always phenomenonal! Our server, Yvanna, was so warm and welcoming and took care of our special dining requirements as I'm a celiac. One of the best places in the city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous experienceFrecklesDined on 10/20/2014We were greeted by the most friendly manager. She arranged everything for us and a birthday token for one of us. This was totally unexpected and much appreciated. Thank you Charcut.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Amazing NightEmpireKittieDined on 10/19/2014So we have yet to be let down by CHARCUT. After our annual convention ended on Sunday, we were again treated to a fantastic time! After the initial reservation was made they phoned to inform us that the kitchen would be closing a half hour after our arrival, when I explained that this is our yearly tradition after convention the lady was kind enough to shift some things around and got us in an hour earlier. We left the food choices up to our server and he did a fabulous job on everything from drinks to appetizers to dessert. His sense of humour and the fact he wasn't bothered with having to stay late made the night that much more enjoyable. It is always a pleasure to visit this restaurant and we look forward to our next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/17/2014Four of us went for a special birthday dinner and were not disappointed. We let our server just bring what he thought was best for food rather than order ourselves and it was a great decision. He was even able to recommend great beers for my "beer snob" husband. The price paid is totally justified and you are getting excellent quality food and service. We will definitely find a reason to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lot of everythinggc8thereDined on 10/17/2014Charcut continues to amaze me. If you are looking for the perfect place; food, drink, ambience and location than look no further. I have had 100+ visits since it's opening and I can honestly say o have not been disappointed once, not even a little. The owners and staff take great pride in what they are providing and every little thing shows. Amazing as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.