Charcoal Steak House
2980 King Street East
Kitchener, ON N2A 1A9Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: CAN$30 and under
Charcoal Steak House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.charcoalsteakhouse.ca/
- Phone: 5198936570x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Jaret Flannigan
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private and semi-private dining rooms available for your special occasion from 10 to 80 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Meredith Roberts 519-894-0110x2109
A word from Charcoal Steak House
The Charcoal Steak House is an independent local steakhouse and it has been our privilege to serve the Waterloo region community for over 50 years. Enjoy Oxford County AAA Steaks, slow roasted prime rib, fresh seafood, mouth-watering Conestoga pig tails, legendary ribs and more. Our pastry team has crafted mouth watering desserts to add that perfect finishing touch. Round out your dining experience with a selection from our award-winning wine list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Charcoal Steak House - Best Restaurants in Kitchener ›
Charcoal Steak House reviews from OpenTable diners
137 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (122)romantic (73)notable wine list (54)good for groups (51)fit for foodies (48)neighborhood gem (29)great for lunch (28)great for brunch (10)late-night find (9)hot spot (7)kid-friendly (7)vibrant bar scene (4)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Keeps you coming back for more!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014Service excellent, our waitress was on the ball! FOOD>> OUTSTANDING! Never a lack of exceptional choices on the menu! Steak...YES PLEASE!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice night out with familyNortonDined on 9/13/2014Good food. Great service. A fine place on a special occasion.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014Stopped on the way through town on the recommendation of a colleague. Had an amazing rib dinner, with great sides, service was prompt and helpful. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- menuluv2eatDined on 9/4/2014the only issue I had was not enough choices of seafood on your menu but the prime rib was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charcoal-disappointingTravelgirlDined on 8/31/2014My husband and I have been going here for 28 years and our dinner a couple of days ago was so disappointing. The ceasar salad has changed and comes in a little bowl that makes it very difficult to eat and not the flavor it used to have. Also, they no longer have 'baked potatoes'. They have the 'twice baked potato' which I think they microwaved and it was very tough from over heating. Sooooo disappointed in the Charcoal and I'm pretty sure we won't be returning.
- GrantDined on 8/28/2014One of the best steaks we've ever had. Great service.Special Features:
- A Tradition of ExcellencetjinloveDined on 8/26/2014For most of our 42 years, the Charcoal Steak House is where we've celebrated our anniversary. It was special to us when we dated before we were married (when it was by the Highway Market) and it has become "our" place to get a fabulous meal in a wonderful, romantic atmosphere. The high quality service along with the nice little touches like the special dessert for the occasion with "Happy Anniversary" written in drizzled chocolate on the plate make it so very special. For many years we have enjoyed consistent quality of service and excellent food When we have special guests visit or someone we want to give a special gift card to, we know that we can count on the Charcoal to please.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service and FoodgrillmasterflashDined on 8/24/2014I recently went to Charcoal steakhouse for my birthdat and even though it was 9 on a Sunday and fairly empty the service and Food were fantastic. The 16oz prime rib was gigantic, well prepared and delicious. My girlfriend ordered the porter house, which was 36oz and the size of a large dinner plate on its own. The waitress and manager were friendly and attentive, would certainly return and definitely recommend this place to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Achieved expectations.kweatsDined on 8/22/2014Good food, good service, good atmosphere. Nothing was really stand-out or exceptionally notable here. Service felt a little rushed with excessive wine pouring. But, all said and done, it was on par with what was expected. No complaints.Special Features:
- A Perrenial FavouritebarrykDined on 8/21/2014We live in Toronto and always make a point of stopping here on our way home from the Stratford Festival. Excellent food and service. One complaint: My wife had the prime rib which was very nice but not rare as she had ordered it and so was dry and needed more jus. The server promptly brought more but when the bill came we found they had added $1.99 to the bill which we found rather tacky, especially after paying $15.50 for a glass of Malbec. Still, we'll be back the next time we go to Stratford.Special Features:
- Great placeDineOutDanDined on 8/19/2014Been coming here for 20 yrs. probably 4-5 times a year. Never had anything short of great with the occasional beyond awesome. Food is always spot on. Staff is always top notch. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Overall fabulous experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014It was our first time to the Charcoal Steak House. I must say it made our 25th Anniversary a night to remember. The staff and food were fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/18/2014Prime rib.. outside cut.. tough, had obviously been in fridge and re-heated to luke warm... I was offered a replacement ( I declined) and provided a comp dessert, but the meat really should have been better..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than expectedDustyDined on 8/16/2014My wife and I went here for our anniversary, and enjoyed ourselves. We didn't feel rushed, but didn't wait for our meal either. Our meals were perfect, as was our salad and desert. The only problem we had was we ate too much. We will definitely go back for any other special night out.Special Features:
- FavfinedinningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Service was amazing The waiters are not pushy but do give their suggestion when asked (very good) Food was perfect, cooked just the way we asked, served at the right time & very, very tasty. Excelent wine list. Overall, it was a perfect night. It felt special even thou we were not celebrating any special occasion. My boyfriend was just as pleased as I was & to us we fell that we found our perfect place to relax, enjoy a good meal, a good conversation & excelent service all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Real steakhouse very pleasedJabbaDined on 8/14/2014All aspects were enjoyable. this is a real steak house. Our waiter went out of his way to help us selebrate my ladie's birthday. The food was great, we both had strip and turf and it was done just the way we ordered it. liked the fact that you can order small size deserts, as we were quite full after the main course. We will return.Special Features:
- SteakianmarDined on 8/12/2014The restaurant was quiet. Our waiter was very nice . We did not order an appetizer and were surprised to receive a very small basket with two rolls and 2 flat bread . It did seem little cheap . We ordered steak medium with twice baked potato. The steaks were perfectly done and delicious. With one order we had the best steak ,a rib eye. Our bill was reasonable with 2 entres,2 beer,1 glass of wine and 1 desert our bill was $120.00. We were happy with our choice of restaurant and would go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!hhinojosDined on 8/9/2014Wonderful food and service! Steak was cooked perfectly and our server was wonderful. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would definitely return!DianaDined on 8/8/2014Charcoal was a great destination for a quiet lunch where we enjoyed excellent food, were able to catch up and were able to have some 'work' conversation as well. When we asked if we could split each of our lunch items in two so we could share, they actually prepared small individual slider burgers for us rather than cut one in half. How thoughtful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good atmosphereMapleTreeDined on 8/4/2014It is a big place and had a good atmosphere. Their steaks were big and pretty reasonable. I wish they were more creative with sauces for the meat, such as rock salt, good soy sauce, mild wasabi etc. I got bored with just salt and pepper flavor very quickly. I ordered horseradish, but it didn't add enough variety to the taste. It is a good idea to introduce a few different kinds of seasonal side vegetable dishes as they add colors to the main. I feel they have a potential to be great.Special Features:
- excellent food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014We chose the Charcoal to celebrate out 45th anniversary. Our server Liz was pleasant and professional, making the evening very enjoyable. We both selected the perth county cut sirloin and it was superb. We have been fans of the Charcoal for years and remain fans!Special Features:
- Perfection!EskayDined on 7/26/2014We were in Kitchener for the night and needed a place to get a great meal. We read some online reviews and decided Charcoal would be a good option. Little did we know that we would be knocked out of our socks. The meal was perfection. Our steaks were done EXACTLY as we ordered them (all different). The sides were tasty and inspired. The ambience is lovely and warm, but fresh. We complimented our meals with beverages - between us, we drank mixed drinks, beer, iced cocktails, and a dessert coffee - they were all served in appropriate vessels and were delicious. Finally, our server MARY, was amazing. The perfect balance of attentiveness without hovering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always excellentFood4UsDined on 7/26/2014The service is professional and makes the experience that much better. We always order Prime Rib it's the best in K-W. The goat cheese appetizer was also a treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost PerfectkuhnukDined on 7/25/2014The overall impression of this eatery was great hence the four star rating...There was one area that requires attention. We opted to skip the appetizer and have desert instead and we both ordered pie. The menu stated "light flaky pastry" but what was served to both of us required a knife to cut.Special Features:
- Always GoodNanceeDined on 7/23/2014This is our "go to" special occasion restaurant. Food is always great, service professional and always an enjoyable evening out.Special Features:
- YumYumOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/20/2014We had 6 people for dinner. Four had steak dinners, one had chicken and one had a stir fry. Food was amazing. Has a wide variety of wine to choice from by the glass as well as by the bottle.Special Features:
- Hubby's 65thquixoticDined on 7/19/2014We had a fabulous memorable meal and experience. Everything was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- steakAgnesDined on 7/18/2014had to ask for steak knives as the waitress didn't bring them when we got the meal. i had the 8 oz prime rib and there was quite a bit of fat in it. my husband had the 12 oz and he didn't have any. minimal amount of vegetables and the broccoli was quite overcooked.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/17/2014The food and service were fantastic as always. Our server recommended a great wine for our meal and was always there when we needed him. Looking forward to the next visit.Special Features:
- excellentBetmoDined on 7/11/2014was a great dining experience and will be going back. the food was awesome for the most part, had a little issue but between the server and manager the whole customer experience was outstanding. I will be telling my friends and co-workers about it.Special Features:
- CharcoalyumdinnerDined on 7/10/2014We had a lovely dinner. Our waiter Luke was FANTASTIC!!! Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BEST STEAK ever.luv2dineDined on 7/8/2014Charcoal Steakhosue is very classy scene. Very romantic and had a wide selection of premium steaks. Service was fast, kind and orderly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great B-day supperdineoutisfunDined on 7/5/2014The Charcoal Steakhouse was a great venue for my birthday supper. Thanks for a wonderful dinuing experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for a business lunchNickDined on 7/4/2014There are not too many fine dining places in Waterloo Region and certainly not in Kitchener, but the Charcoal is one of them. It's close to the 401, with ample parking, old fashioned steakhouse ambience, friendly service and above average food quality. Choosing well known signature items like crab cakes and prime rib will not disappoint, especially with a decent wine to match.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As great as ever!deganwyDined on 7/2/2014We visited for a family birthday. They accommodate children very well, providing a kiddie plate of veggies and crackers to fill the gap between ordering and being served. Wait staff are always pleasant and the food is well presented and deliciousSpecial Features:
- Great steak!CasualDinerDined on 7/1/2014Food was good. We were satisfied by a delicious meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday early supperChamplainDined on 6/29/2014Good food, good service, plates tastefully served, good bar. I couldn't finish my dinner. Clean washrooms with real linen hand cloths, a nice touch of class.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Usually a hit, this time a missmishymeDined on 6/28/2014I love the Charcoal. I have eaten here over 50 times (no exaggeration). This past time, our server was busy balancing our table with a group so the attention to our needs was not quite there. I wouldn't normally mind but my steak was under cooked and I felt like I had no one to tell. I asked for medium and the steak was rare to medium rare. It was very raw on the inside. By the time the server came by, our entire table had finished our meals. There was no time to correct the error so I just asked for my food to be boxed up to take home. I cooked it further when I got home. My example here is not typical of Charcoal because they set a high standard and usually hit it. When they miss it though - you can really tell.Special Features:
- CarnivoreDined on 6/28/2014We've been coming to the Charcoal Steak House for decades. An institution in our family. Terrific ribs, steaks and pig tails! Desserts, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food=awesome. Service=poor.NadaDined on 6/28/2014The Charcoal is our go-to for special occasions. As always, the food was superb. What we did not expect was poor service.