Charcoal Steak House
2980 King Street East
Kitchener, ON N2A 1A9Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: CAN$30 and under
Charcoal Steak House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.charcoalsteakhouse.ca/
- Phone: 5198936570x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Jaret Flannigan
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Charcoal Steak House
The Charcoal Steak House is an independent local steakhouse and it has been our privilege to serve the Waterloo region community for over 50 years. Enjoy Oxford County AAA Steaks, slow roasted prime rib, fresh seafood, mouth-watering Conestoga pig tails, legendary ribs and more. Our pastry team has crafted mouth watering desserts to add that perfect finishing touch. Round out your dining experience with a selection from our award-winning wine list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Charcoal Steak House - Best Restaurants in Kitchener ›
Charcoal Steak House reviews from OpenTable diners
136 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (122)romantic (67)notable wine list (54)fit for foodies (53)good for groups (52)neighborhood gem (24)great for lunch (20)kid-friendly (9)late-night find (8)great for brunch (7)vibrant bar scene (5)hot spot (5)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Celebration693Dined on 10/18/2014I cannot tell you how wonderful our experience was. Our server Lori was so helpful and attentive. She is a gem. We were celebrating a university graduation, and it was perfect. The food was outstanding - even my picky 17 year old was loving the food. We of course, will come again, and will recommend you to all our friends and family. Thank you so much for a special evening!Special Features:
- Good timeYogichaDined on 10/17/2014We celebrated my birthday here and had great service. The steak was ok for myself but my fiancé loved his porterhouse. The apps were really good, especially the garlic bread and it was a nice pace, I never felt rushed.Special Features:
- good for business lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/17/2014clients like steak. but I am a vegetarian and do not have much to choose from. I know asking for veggie food in a steakhouse!! I can arrange more business lunches/ dinners if the veggie palate is also taken care. more gluten-free options and healthy options as more restaurants offer it. overall good.Special Features:
- Great experiencePyrgiotisDined on 10/16/2014The food was perfect! Service was great and it was an overall excellent experience.Special Features:
- ArdeelDined on 10/16/2014Server was excellent and very knowledgeable about the menu / specials. Quite personable. Food was excellent, as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- greatgreatDined on 10/13/2014Oct.13, 2014 - great dinner, great service thank you for that special and personal touch pleasant server (Robin W) - calm, quiet, - made our evening very nice location - quiet corner - third time at that table - perfect for us thank you see you soon againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thanksgiving DayRobbieDined on 10/13/2014We met as a family and ordered the Thanksgiving Day special meal. Service was friendly and efficient. We had small children with us and the servers were patient and tolerant. The food was good. Both the salad and the soup were enjoyable. The main course of turker was good. My parsnips were undercooked to the point of being inedible. However, the rest of the group said theirs were cooked properly. Dessert was good but I would suggest offering a choice of dessert similar to the choice of appetizers. We would go again for a special occasion or a nice dinner out.Special Features:
- Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014I just wanted too share that the waitress was very friendly and was very professional in her job. My whole family thought she was awesome ! No complaints. Our meal was outstanding and very tastful ! Thanks againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeEricaDined on 10/10/2014The atmosphere, food and service was amazing. Every item we ordered including the appetizer was delicious! I have not been this impressed by a restaurant before!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- birthday dinnerpolskyfamDined on 10/9/2014I reserved on line and sent a note that it was my sons birthday so requested a piece of cake with candle for dessert. We arrived on time, got a great table they had ready for us and even asked when we sat down if this was a special celebration. Food was awesome, service awesome and would recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:
- auntbrendaDined on 10/8/2014service was more then excellent food great, it was our anniversary ask for nice table and received itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantasticAndrewDined on 10/7/2014Amazing Food, excellent and timely service, great wine, great atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pleasantPleasantDined on 10/6/2014We celebrated our 52nd anniversary and enjoyed the meal and service to be very pleasant. Being just a couple we were seated next to a long table with perhaps 10-12 younger, therefore louder guests. It could have been more pleasant seated next to similar couple tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Goodlov2dineDined on 10/5/2014The whole experience was great. The food was excellent and delicious. We will definitely come backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Strangely poor serviceWatDinerDined on 10/4/2014Charcoal is supposed to be an upscale restaurant. They didn't have my table ready at our reservation time. The first time the hostess led us to our table, it was busy and we had to walk back to the entrance. The waitress didn't list all the side available with our meals. The water had coffee grounds in it the first TWO times the waitress brought it to our table.
- special event and family time dinerprimribdinnerspecialtodayDined on 10/4/2014The food was good but it was really,really salty. Two of us had the prime rib which was cooked to our liking but the food was so salty that it was hard to eat. The other two ordered the new York striploin and the which was also really salty. I could not eat the twice baked potato and the fries seemed like they were soaked in salt and then had more salt put on top. The meat was the best part of the meal but was also on the salty said. I did enjoy the restaurant and the meat. Our server was also great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special eveningYearafteryearDined on 10/4/2014My wife and I have been at the Charcoal for all 34 of our wedding anniversaries and year after year everything at your restaurant makes it a romantic night. The food is always a pleasant experience, the wait staff are just attentive enough to not disturb. Loved the new wine this year. Hope you are still around for our 50th (:Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Corporate Meeting with ClientsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/1/2014Everything was great except main course came out late and coldSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent good quality foodJennywrenDined on 9/26/2014As a patron of this restaurant for many years, I enjoy the consistent good quality of the food. Also, the tables are spaced well for privacy, which makes it ideal for a business lunch, or a private conversation with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatleolaDined on 9/25/2014I was especially pleased with the chef's attention to the stringent dietary needs of our son-in-law. He was able to eat a wonderful meal without worrying about any after effects. I know my son-in-law set this up with the staff before he came but it was very reassuring to know that the chef was remembered and was able to work round this problem. My son-in-law had a wonderful meal and went home very happy (and there were no dietary problems afterwards). We have always enjoyed eating at the Charcoal and will continue to come for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not ideal for celiacssarahDined on 9/22/2014They claim to be gluten friendly but always give me conflicting information on what is appropriate to eat. The servers never really know, and get frustrated running back and forth to the kitchen (it's frustrating for me, too, and awkward. Not exactly emotions you want to feel over a nice meal). I got served/suggested something with gluten 3 days in a row at Bauer Kitchen, Wildcraft, and then Charcoal Steakhouse. I know"gluten free" people are "annoying" but for some of us it's a serious matter - make it easy on us and yourselves and have a gluten friendly menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steak. Prime Rib not so muchluv2eatDined on 9/20/2014Great service and three great tenderloin steaks. Unfortunately one person in our party ordered the Prime Rib and it was a disappointment on this particular occasion; very tough. We advised our server who quickly brought out another but this too was unacceptable. The manager was gracious and offered yet another replacement or even a different meal. At this point it was too late to order anything else. The restaurant was kind enough to comp the meal which hadn't been eaten anyway. Excellent desert and good coffee partially made up for the disappointing prime rib. We've been to this restaurant on many occasions and never had a bad meal - guessing the tough prime rib was an isolated incident, we still recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get what you pay forChrisDined on 9/20/2014Food is pricey (not terribly more than other steakhouses) but you definitely get what you pay for. I had the ribs and they are by far the best ribs I have ever had, well worth the price for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- datenightDined on 9/19/2014The food was delicious and the service was excellent; very attentive and thoughtful. We would definitely come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3 generations having funThatBritGuyDined on 9/19/2014There is an access ramp for special needs people. Once inside the greeting was warm and friendly. We were seated immediately and our server was attentive and provided excellent drink recommendations. The food was served all at the same time. was well presented, very tasteful and enough. Although a busy place, the seating is such that we never felt crowded and we certainly never felt rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Keeps you coming back for more!KeepitcominDined on 9/14/2014Service excellent, our waitress was on the ball! FOOD>> OUTSTANDING! Never a lack of exceptional choices on the menu! Steak...YES PLEASE!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice night out with familyNortonDined on 9/13/2014Good food. Great service. A fine place on a special occasion.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014Stopped on the way through town on the recommendation of a colleague. Had an amazing rib dinner, with great sides, service was prompt and helpful. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- menuluv2eatDined on 9/4/2014the only issue I had was not enough choices of seafood on your menu but the prime rib was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charcoal-disappointingTravelgirlDined on 8/31/2014My husband and I have been going here for 28 years and our dinner a couple of days ago was so disappointing. The ceasar salad has changed and comes in a little bowl that makes it very difficult to eat and not the flavor it used to have. Also, they no longer have 'baked potatoes'. They have the 'twice baked potato' which I think they microwaved and it was very tough from over heating. Sooooo disappointed in the Charcoal and I'm pretty sure we won't be returning.
- GrantDined on 8/28/2014One of the best steaks we've ever had. Great service.Special Features:
- A Tradition of ExcellencetjinloveDined on 8/26/2014For most of our 42 years, the Charcoal Steak House is where we've celebrated our anniversary. It was special to us when we dated before we were married (when it was by the Highway Market) and it has become "our" place to get a fabulous meal in a wonderful, romantic atmosphere. The high quality service along with the nice little touches like the special dessert for the occasion with "Happy Anniversary" written in drizzled chocolate on the plate make it so very special. For many years we have enjoyed consistent quality of service and excellent food When we have special guests visit or someone we want to give a special gift card to, we know that we can count on the Charcoal to please.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service and FoodgrillmasterflashDined on 8/24/2014I recently went to Charcoal steakhouse for my birthdat and even though it was 9 on a Sunday and fairly empty the service and Food were fantastic. The 16oz prime rib was gigantic, well prepared and delicious. My girlfriend ordered the porter house, which was 36oz and the size of a large dinner plate on its own. The waitress and manager were friendly and attentive, would certainly return and definitely recommend this place to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Achieved expectations.kweatsDined on 8/22/2014Good food, good service, good atmosphere. Nothing was really stand-out or exceptionally notable here. Service felt a little rushed with excessive wine pouring. But, all said and done, it was on par with what was expected. No complaints.Special Features:
- A Perrenial FavouritebarrykDined on 8/21/2014We live in Toronto and always make a point of stopping here on our way home from the Stratford Festival. Excellent food and service. One complaint: My wife had the prime rib which was very nice but not rare as she had ordered it and so was dry and needed more jus. The server promptly brought more but when the bill came we found they had added $1.99 to the bill which we found rather tacky, especially after paying $15.50 for a glass of Malbec. Still, we'll be back the next time we go to Stratford.Special Features:
- Great placeDineOutDanDined on 8/19/2014Been coming here for 20 yrs. probably 4-5 times a year. Never had anything short of great with the occasional beyond awesome. Food is always spot on. Staff is always top notch. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Overall fabulous experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014It was our first time to the Charcoal Steak House. I must say it made our 25th Anniversary a night to remember. The staff and food were fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/18/2014Prime rib.. outside cut.. tough, had obviously been in fridge and re-heated to luke warm... I was offered a replacement ( I declined) and provided a comp dessert, but the meat really should have been better..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than expectedDustyDined on 8/16/2014My wife and I went here for our anniversary, and enjoyed ourselves. We didn't feel rushed, but didn't wait for our meal either. Our meals were perfect, as was our salad and desert. The only problem we had was we ate too much. We will definitely go back for any other special night out.Special Features:
- FavfinedinningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Service was amazing The waiters are not pushy but do give their suggestion when asked (very good) Food was perfect, cooked just the way we asked, served at the right time & very, very tasty. Excelent wine list. Overall, it was a perfect night. It felt special even thou we were not celebrating any special occasion. My boyfriend was just as pleased as I was & to us we fell that we found our perfect place to relax, enjoy a good meal, a good conversation & excelent service all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.