Charcoal Steak House
2980 King Street East
Kitchener, ON N2A 1A9Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: CAN$30 and under
Charcoal Steak House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.charcoalsteakhouse.ca/
- Phone: (519) 893-6570
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Jaret Flannigan
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Charcoal Steak House
The Charcoal Steak House is an independent local steakhouse and it has been our privilege to serve the Waterloo region community for over 50 years. Enjoy Oxford County AAA Steaks, slow roasted prime rib, fresh seafood, mouth-watering Conestoga pig tails, legendary ribs and more. Our pastry team has crafted mouth watering desserts to add that perfect finishing touch. Round out your dining experience with a selection from our award-winning wine list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Charcoal Steak House - Best Restaurants in Kitchener ›
Charcoal Steak House reviews from OpenTable diners
152 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (134)romantic (71)good for groups (61)fit for foodies (58)notable wine list (49)neighborhood gem (24)great for lunch (20)kid-friendly (11)late-night find (7)hot spot (7)great for brunch (6)vibrant bar scene (6)scenic view (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Food was very good, seats were comfotable/spaciousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/23/2014Celebrated my daughter's 17th birthday and we had a fantastic time. 12 people in total, all chose a different plate but all loved them. The food was delicious. Steaks were cooked to perfection and sauce was outstanding. Be back very Soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- how relaxing...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014after a day of shopping in St. Jacobs in the rain, wonderful place to sit and enjoy a glass of wine and fabulous food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best steak ever!!PicoPollitoDined on 11/22/2014Very nice restaurant, food is delicious (specially the steakss) and the service is amazing!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Felt rushed out of the restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014The food was FANTASTIC - I had prime rib with mashed potatoes and my wife had some kind of noodle thing, both were delicious. Our cocktails were great and the desert was way too good. But my wife and I felt like we were rushed out of the restaurant. We hadn't finished our appetizers (French onion soups) by the time they gave us our main course, then we were still working on our main course when the waitress asked us if we would like dessert. We also had coffee after dessert and the waitress came by our table 3 times with the pay-machine, meanwhile we still had a full glass of alcohol each, hadn't even touched our dessert yet and were still drinking our coffees. They definitely wanted us out of there as soon as possible. We didn't rush ourselves, but we felt the staff were rude and wanted us to leave.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/15/2014AWSOME food and great experience, Love this place and will be back many more times in the future! BEST carrot cake ever! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent food - slow servicemrskr19Dined on 11/15/2014Reservations were for 8, we were sat around 820. Waitress was friendly took drink orders right away but took about half an hour to get them. We were a table of 6 and ordered wine and a couple cocktails nothing tooo difficult to make ( or so we thought) waitress seemed really busy and overwhelmed we had asked for certain items and she would forget. Food did take quite a while but when we got it is was delicious. I would recommend but make sure u don't have to be anywhere afterwards and pack ur patience, or bring some friends that will help pass by the time. Glad we didn't give our babysitter a time we would be home or we would have missed out on dinner I'm sure ( we didn't leave until after 11).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great evening.DanielleDined on 11/15/2014We were there to celebrate our birthdays because they fall so close to each other and it was a wonderful evening. The food was amazing. The service fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good as ever!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/11/2014I always enjoy the menu at Charcoal, even as it changes over the years. We all enjoyed our entrees immensely...everything done to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerdin4twoDined on 11/8/2014Three years ago we used the conference room to host our wedding reception. Saturday was a celebration dinner. The Charcoal Steakhouse always provides the perfect setting for our own celebration. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing all aroundOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014Amazing dinner. Food was top notch, service was fast and friendly, prices were very reasonable. Really appreciated the dessert we were given as we were celebrating our 1st wedding anniversary.Special Features:
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014Great food & service as usual!!!! Our server Laurie R was exceptionally friendly & made our evening special!!! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for Steak - it's their specialtyimmafoodieDined on 11/6/2014I was expecting a slightly fancier ambiance. The lighting was there and the dark wood and wine bottle decor, but there was something about the restaurant that just said casual dining (it could have been the customers). The chairs are very large and comfortable if that is something you look for. Ultimately though we went for the steak - which was amazing. Steak is their specialty and they do it right. We also indulged in dessert which was delicious. The creme brulee is presented in a larger sized ramekin than I expected, and the maple ginger cheesecake was to die for! Not too sweet - just right. I highly recommend the Steakhouse for special occasions in a casual atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerCharcoalSteakDined on 11/2/2014I surprised my girlfriend with dinner for our a one year anniversary and simply put it was outstanding! The restaurant's staff was very accommodating with any requests I had and fulfilled them perfectly. I arranged a flower delivery to the restaurant as a surprise and they were fine with the flowers coming at 12pm even though my dinner was not until 7pm. As you go into the restaurant you certainly will be surprised how big it is, but how busy it is (I went on a Sunday night)which shows this must be a good place. The service from the time we got there until the time we left was perfect. The waitress was very attentive and made sure our night was going perfectly. Dinner was AMAZING! We both got the skillet steak with truffle fries just WOWSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great EveningcoffeeroasterDined on 11/1/2014The food and service are always outstanding at the steak house. We all had some laughs and a great meal. The atmosphere is great and the noise level is perfect. I would recommend it for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!SteakloverDined on 10/30/2014Our food was outstanding, wine list was extensive and unique, service was average to good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for the areaJonInDallasDined on 10/27/2014I do not know all of the local restaurants, but it seems this is about as good as it gets. Normal steakhouse with an expansive footprint. Meals were good, but not great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice MealMablesmealDined on 10/25/2014We had a very delicious meal. The atmosphere is great. Food was very well done and flavourful. One issue but it was minor, we asked for our steaks to be medium. One was perfectly cooked and the other was a little bit more done than we like but was not a big deal a meat was still tender.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebration693Dined on 10/18/2014I cannot tell you how wonderful our experience was. Our server Lori was so helpful and attentive. She is a gem. We were celebrating a university graduation, and it was perfect. The food was outstanding - even my picky 17 year old was loving the food. We of course, will come again, and will recommend you to all our friends and family. Thank you so much for a special evening!Special Features:
- Good timeYogichaDined on 10/17/2014We celebrated my birthday here and had great service. The steak was ok for myself but my fiancé loved his porterhouse. The apps were really good, especially the garlic bread and it was a nice pace, I never felt rushed.Special Features:
- good for business lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/17/2014clients like steak. but I am a vegetarian and do not have much to choose from. I know asking for veggie food in a steakhouse!! I can arrange more business lunches/ dinners if the veggie palate is also taken care. more gluten-free options and healthy options as more restaurants offer it. overall good.Special Features:
- Great experiencePyrgiotisDined on 10/16/2014The food was perfect! Service was great and it was an overall excellent experience.Special Features:
- ArdeelDined on 10/16/2014Server was excellent and very knowledgeable about the menu / specials. Quite personable. Food was excellent, as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- greatgreatDined on 10/13/2014Oct.13, 2014 - great dinner, great service thank you for that special and personal touch pleasant server (Robin W) - calm, quiet, - made our evening very nice location - quiet corner - third time at that table - perfect for us thank you see you soon againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thanksgiving DayRobbieDined on 10/13/2014We met as a family and ordered the Thanksgiving Day special meal. Service was friendly and efficient. We had small children with us and the servers were patient and tolerant. The food was good. Both the salad and the soup were enjoyable. The main course of turker was good. My parsnips were undercooked to the point of being inedible. However, the rest of the group said theirs were cooked properly. Dessert was good but I would suggest offering a choice of dessert similar to the choice of appetizers. We would go again for a special occasion or a nice dinner out.Special Features:
- Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014I just wanted too share that the waitress was very friendly and was very professional in her job. My whole family thought she was awesome ! No complaints. Our meal was outstanding and very tastful ! Thanks againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeEricaDined on 10/10/2014The atmosphere, food and service was amazing. Every item we ordered including the appetizer was delicious! I have not been this impressed by a restaurant before!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- birthday dinnerpolskyfamDined on 10/9/2014I reserved on line and sent a note that it was my sons birthday so requested a piece of cake with candle for dessert. We arrived on time, got a great table they had ready for us and even asked when we sat down if this was a special celebration. Food was awesome, service awesome and would recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:
- auntbrendaDined on 10/8/2014service was more then excellent food great, it was our anniversary ask for nice table and received itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantasticAndrewDined on 10/7/2014Amazing Food, excellent and timely service, great wine, great atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pleasantPleasantDined on 10/6/2014We celebrated our 52nd anniversary and enjoyed the meal and service to be very pleasant. Being just a couple we were seated next to a long table with perhaps 10-12 younger, therefore louder guests. It could have been more pleasant seated next to similar couple tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Goodlov2dineDined on 10/5/2014The whole experience was great. The food was excellent and delicious. We will definitely come backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Strangely poor serviceWatDinerVIPDined on 10/4/2014Charcoal is supposed to be an upscale restaurant. They didn't have my table ready at our reservation time. The first time the hostess led us to our table, it was busy and we had to walk back to the entrance. The waitress didn't list all the side available with our meals. The water had coffee grounds in it the first TWO times the waitress brought it to our table.
- special event and family time dinerprimribdinnerspecialtodayDined on 10/4/2014The food was good but it was really,really salty. Two of us had the prime rib which was cooked to our liking but the food was so salty that it was hard to eat. The other two ordered the new York striploin and the which was also really salty. I could not eat the twice baked potato and the fries seemed like they were soaked in salt and then had more salt put on top. The meat was the best part of the meal but was also on the salty said. I did enjoy the restaurant and the meat. Our server was also great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special eveningYearafteryearDined on 10/4/2014My wife and I have been at the Charcoal for all 34 of our wedding anniversaries and year after year everything at your restaurant makes it a romantic night. The food is always a pleasant experience, the wait staff are just attentive enough to not disturb. Loved the new wine this year. Hope you are still around for our 50th (:Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Corporate Meeting with ClientsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/1/2014Everything was great except main course came out late and coldSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent good quality foodJennywrenDined on 9/26/2014As a patron of this restaurant for many years, I enjoy the consistent good quality of the food. Also, the tables are spaced well for privacy, which makes it ideal for a business lunch, or a private conversation with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatleolaDined on 9/25/2014I was especially pleased with the chef's attention to the stringent dietary needs of our son-in-law. He was able to eat a wonderful meal without worrying about any after effects. I know my son-in-law set this up with the staff before he came but it was very reassuring to know that the chef was remembered and was able to work round this problem. My son-in-law had a wonderful meal and went home very happy (and there were no dietary problems afterwards). We have always enjoyed eating at the Charcoal and will continue to come for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not ideal for celiacssarahDined on 9/22/2014They claim to be gluten friendly but always give me conflicting information on what is appropriate to eat. The servers never really know, and get frustrated running back and forth to the kitchen (it's frustrating for me, too, and awkward. Not exactly emotions you want to feel over a nice meal). I got served/suggested something with gluten 3 days in a row at Bauer Kitchen, Wildcraft, and then Charcoal Steakhouse. I know"gluten free" people are "annoying" but for some of us it's a serious matter - make it easy on us and yourselves and have a gluten friendly menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steak. Prime Rib not so muchluv2eatDined on 9/20/2014Great service and three great tenderloin steaks. Unfortunately one person in our party ordered the Prime Rib and it was a disappointment on this particular occasion; very tough. We advised our server who quickly brought out another but this too was unacceptable. The manager was gracious and offered yet another replacement or even a different meal. At this point it was too late to order anything else. The restaurant was kind enough to comp the meal which hadn't been eaten anyway. Excellent desert and good coffee partially made up for the disappointing prime rib. We've been to this restaurant on many occasions and never had a bad meal - guessing the tough prime rib was an isolated incident, we still recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get what you pay forChrisDined on 9/20/2014Food is pricey (not terribly more than other steakhouses) but you definitely get what you pay for. I had the ribs and they are by far the best ribs I have ever had, well worth the price for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.