43 W 9th Ave
Denver, CO 80204Neighborhood:
Downtown / LoDo
Contemporary EuropeanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.charcoaldining.com/
- Phone: 3034540000x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Mon-Thurs 5-9pm. Bar menu 9-10pm. Fri-Sat 5-11pm.
Lunch 11am-2pm Mon-Fri
Brunch: Sat-Sun 9am-2pm. Bar will stay open all day Sunday
Happy Hour: 4-6pm Daily
* Effective June 29
Open for Sunday dinner from 5-8pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary European
- Executive Chef: Patrik Landberg
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We provide catering for central Denver private and business events. Please call 303.454.0000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with catering requests.
- Special Events: We host private parties, wedding rehearsal dinners, graduations, reunions, holiday parties, business meetings, client presentations, networking events and other personal and business events. Please visit our website at www.charcoaldining.com or call 303.454.0000 to plan your event!
A word from Charcoal Restaurant
Critically acclaimed Charcoal Restaurant in the Golden Triangle near downtown Denver Colorado offers great food, atmosphere and service. Our contemporary European cuisine is created using both classic and innovative techniques. Our unique Bincho style grill ensures food cooks quickly while retaining the most flavor. Our custom designed wine dispenser allows guests to sample many wines by the glass from our carefully selected list. Vegetarian and gluten free options available.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Charcoal Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
167 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (111)neighborhood gem (81)special occasion (63)notable wine list (39)great for brunch (34)good for groups (34)romantic (32)great for outdoor dining (19)great for lunch (18)hot spot (17)vibrant bar scene (12)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (5)Show More
- Exquisite MenuqoessrDined on 8/28/2014The chef is award winning and this gem of a restaurant is fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New to this RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/27/2014We were greated with the friendliest, most outstanding customer service! I cannot say enough about the staff, their warm greeting and care. I have a lactose intolerance issue and the staff, especially our waiter went out of their/his way to accommodate this. Food: Must get the beet salad. Yum! My friend loved her dinner as well! Generous servings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/27/2014excellent food, beautifully presented; pricey but good value. service attentive, but not cloying.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/27/2014Excellent dinner at Charcoal. The only negative about the restaurant is the space. With such good food why can't you improve on the ambiance.Special Features:
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/26/2014Had never heard of Charcoal before a group of us went on Saturday for restaurant week. Everything was so delicious and thought out. Two of us actually went back a few days later to try the items we hadn't before! I would definitely tell any one of my friends to head there! Thank you for a wonderful evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014Dined early, 5:30ish, and had a great meal, great service. Menu is small, but changes seasonally. The brusell sprouts were delicious! Atmosphere and ambiance what I expected for a fairly new and modern restaurant. Overall, great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food for restaurant week!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/25/2014The restaurant was very busy initially and had some mix ups about our reservations. They were great about buying drinks for us at the bar but they reminded us they bought the first round serveral times which was a little off putting. Food was great, fresh and appropriate portions. All in all it was great and I would recommend it to friends. Also the table next to us was extremely loud but I imagine that was just bad luck.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/25/2014Ate at Charcoal during Restaurant Week. Each course was outstanding on its' own. Four of us had dinner there and all had the same reaction.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CharcoalEnjoyDined on 8/24/2014It was the second time at the Charcoal. The food was just as amazing as the first time. The service was a little slow and we were a party of six. Friendly, courteous and thoughtful. Will return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great! But hard to findBillybobVIPDined on 8/24/2014It took a phone call but we found the resaurant. The sign is under an old and bigger sign for another place. The food is outstanding especially the duck!!Special Features:
- Pleasant SurprisecraigDined on 8/23/2014Stopped in for restaurant week. Great selection but ordered a few extra items off the menu. Did not have any expectations. The service was outstanding and the food amazing. Cannot believe this place has been around for a few years. Easy access, parking, nice interior with a great outdoor space. We will be going back and will try to brunch.Special Features:
- perfect little spotpromotioncelebrationDined on 8/22/2014went there for a birthday dinner with the family, the food was very good and the wine was exactly what the night called for. we were too full for dessert but the Oreo creme brulee sounded amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticDocnutkinsVIPDined on 8/17/2014Reliable, always worthwhile, my go-to place in the Golden TriangleSpecial Features:
- charcoal is hotweneatsDined on 8/16/2014We were excited to eat at Charcoal. We got a gift certificate from our children and we had a tasting at Corks and Forks. We eat out at least once a week. The total Bill was $137 including a bottle of wine and a shared dessert. We have put this restaurant on our special occasion list for a return visit.Special Features:
- Wonderful Choices & great serviceNettyDined on 8/16/2014We had a nice selection at Charcoal this time, for apps we had the olives & peppers (good, but not great), the brussels sprouts (different from the last time I had them, loved the duck instead of the bacon actually, but the poached egg made them lose a bit of the crispiness) and the bacon-wrapped dates (YUM). For dinner, we had the Sea Bass (VERY well done dish, great flavors cooked perfectly), the Duck (my husband loved but it was definitely on the small side) and the lamb (our friend was raving over it!). We shared the beignet dessert, and the peaches were just perfect with that. Service was great - A mix-up on our first drinks was handled quickly and with good humor, all our food came out promptly and they were very attentive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/15/2014Great overall experience for the second time! Amazing food and service!
- RoostVIPDined on 8/15/2014Loved the smoked salmon salad! Big group very well taken care of...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious findSmartypantsDined on 8/8/2014I had heard great buzz about Charcoal so I expected a full house when I arrived Friday night. Surprisingly, it was quite slow and quiet. Based on the quality and deliciousness of the food, it deserves to be packed! Do start with the bacon wrapped dates. Yummm! The Barramundi was recommended and I was glad I ordered it. Finished up with some beignets with a peach compote. Each course was deliciously prepared and efficiently and pleasantly served. We left stuffed and happy. All in all, a lovely evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Selectionfoodiex6Dined on 8/4/2014Used social reviews to choose a restaurant in the Golden Triangle area - thankful we selected Charcoal to meet with new clients.Special Features:
- cardinalVIPDined on 8/2/2014Charcoal is one Denver's best, offering innovative preparation always fresh high quality ingredients and first class service.It would appear that turning off the music when the room is full would be helpful
- Terrific in Every WayLookatlooDined on 8/1/2014Located just southwest of the museum area, this restaurant has delicious food and a wonderful staff. We only wanted a light dinner so shared the best Brussel Sprouts dish I've ever had and a smoked salmon and gravlaks plate with a variety of tidbits. They have a large selection of wines by the glass and suggest wine pairings with each dish. Chef Patrick Landberg is Swedish so they do special Scandinavian meals throughout the year. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place in golden triangleRichDined on 7/29/2014Must try their Alaskan halibut entree and mussels appetizer...both were awesome!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No need for a repeatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/26/2014Cocktails were not enjoyed by anyone in the group, for the second round we all chose a different drink and still nothing especially good. Flavors were not well balanced at all - Old Fashion with a ridiculous amount of muddled orange, Martini with an overpowering dose of pepperoncini brine, Negroni with way too much vermouth. I will say that the Halibut was very good, but the NY Strips were the worst I've encountered - No flavor in the meat served with sadly over-wilted citrusy greens and blah onion rings. Creme Brulee and pistachio ice cream were delicious. Probably a great place for dessert and wine.
- Great meal while visiting DenverEdC1VIPDined on 7/24/2014Me and my 2 sons ate dinner at Charcoal. We really enjoyed the service and the food was spectacular. If you go you have to try the brussel sprout appetizer. Out of this world! Worth a short cab ride out of the city of Denver to this special spot. Be sure to check it out!Special Features:
- Great find (by mistake!)LovesYummyDined on 7/23/2014We intended to try Potager but have seen a decline in recent reviews so thanks to Google Maps - found Charcoal by chance. Had a weeknight meal - our first visit. The bar was packed probably with happy hour remnants but there were only 2 tables sat...modern layout - next time we'll sit at the chef's bar. The food was very good. The Truffle fries were a little overkill but still delicious....bison burger was fantastic and the boys loved their NY strips. Our server was quiet but efficient - service was a little slow sometimes but still professional. We'll be going back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WaitressRickDined on 7/20/2014Not only did we have a wonderful meal but, if the service part of the rating had 10 stars she would have gotten all ten. Nest service ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014We first went to Charcoal for a company dinner, liked it a lot, and it is now our go-to for special dinners and occasional weekend brunch. Keep up the great work!Special Features:
- always good food and serviceLolaBDined on 7/17/2014I have never been disappointed at Charcoal. The menu always has something different and everything I've tried has been excellent. Lively bar scene and a nice outdoor patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and serviceCoTravlerDined on 7/12/2014Very good service and we had exceptional wine at a bargain price-- Gran Passione. Bit noisy for our taste, but not as deafening as some.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fired Up at Charcoal!CheechDined on 7/12/2014I recently chose Charcoal for a night out to celebrate a friend's birthday and another friend's new job at Facebook. After not eating there since their first year open, I was worried it may not be as good as I remembered.... I was SO wrong. First and foremost, the food was to-die-for. The bacon-wrapped dates? Insane. The Halibut? Melt-in-your-mouth amazingness. Everything they brought to the table was cooked perfectly, with incredible flavor in every dish. Secondly, the service was outstanding. Our server was very knowledgeable, and had a blast with us throughout the night. She also went above and beyond by giving our birthday-boy a creme brulee dessert with a candle, AND an Old-Fashioned with a birthday candle too. PERFECTION.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the top 10 meals ever....MEFoodieDined on 7/11/2014My husband and I went for date night....we were so very impressed with the food. We both would have licked our plates clean if we could! From the appetizers to entree, wine, dessert and port. Wow! The depth, complexity, nuances and presentation of the food were so well balanced and enjoyable. As the title says, one of the top 10 meals ever....and we've had a lot of great meals around the world. We will make a habit of Charcoal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good to very goodDrmickjrVIPDined on 7/10/2014Charcoal is one of our 'go to' places, especially after a jazz concert at Dazzle, as it is a two minute walk from the club. The food can be so good and then there is a lapse. The chefs seem to sometimes not do that bit of extra to make the dish sing. But we will continue to go and hope that consistency improves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/10/2014Salmon appetizers are great. Lamb was good, too. Hopefully, more people will patronize this restaurant. Champagne and wine can be served in half portions. Big plus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cardinalVIPDined on 7/6/2014As always this restaurant proves to be among Denver's best. Innovative preparation plus high quality ingredients and generous portions make for an excellent experience.
- Amazing Food!MoonWomanVIPDined on 7/6/2014I've been to Charcoal many times...love to bring out-of-town friends...and the food is always delicious and delightfully presented. This time, I went with my sister and a friend and we all raved about our various brunch entrees. I had the vegetable omelet with a side of incredible green chile; my sister had the Swedish pancakes which is her favorite dish; and our friend had the three-course brunch that featured a tasty rendition of chicken and waffles. We all agreed that the food was the best we'd ever had at Charcoal...a very tall order since we all consider it a favorite.Special Features:
- Perfect Experiencemmw3350Dined on 7/6/2014We had an amazing server; the food was outstanding. It was a perfect experience.Special Features:
- Good food Decent AtmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/3/2014The brussel sprouts were awesome and the bacon wrapped dates were pretty incredible. Good service and decent ambience, though I've been some places downtown with better decor.Special Features:
- Charcoal was a pleasureIfyouloveitletitkillyouDined on 6/30/2014Our food was lovely. It was well portioned. Service was very gracious. All dishes were exceptional except the pork loin which was served in a novel pounded flat fashion--I'm afraid it was dry. Desserts by Joy Williams are always a treat and this time was no exception.Special Features:
- BrunchCoolheatVIPDined on 6/29/2014We opted for the culinary student's brunch. Cant' beat the $15 per price. Food was good, not great. Had some issues with having our eggs prepared as we had requested. Nice variety with the courses served, but nothing really stood out. Service was spotty, and it shouldn't have been since there were only three other tables being served.
- My favorite spot in DenverStorkDined on 6/28/2014I randomly strolled in last summer during Sunday and had a fabulous brunch at the bar. When I went back months later Tom had given up the Sunday Funday brunch shift but Kevin was a capable substitute. He was very knowledgable about the menu and they were very accommodating with my food intolerances. I've since returned for a chef's dinner and had a very romantic dinner this past weekend. It's worth the drive from Boulder.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.