Characters Fine Dining
10257 105 Street
Edmonton, AB T5J 1E3Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: CAN$51 and over
Characters Fine Dining
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.characters.ca/
- Phone: 7804214100x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday thru Friday: 11:30am to 1:30pm;
Dinner: Tuesday thru Saturday: 5:30pm to 9:00pm for reservations
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Shonn Oborowsky
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Chef's Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details.
- Special Events: Business meetings, Corporate Events, Corporate Parties, Wine Tasting Events, Weddings, Anniversaries, Birthdays, Retirement Parties, Christmas Parties, Creative & Fun Events...
Characters Fine Dining will host your special occasion. Please phone 780-421-4100 for arrangements.
A word from Characters Fine Dining
Characters features a menu with a diversity of fresh, seasonal offerings presented with exceptional attentive & accommodating service. Our menu changes seasonally.Continued
Please join us on
Facebook at characters restaurant
Please join us on
Facebook at characters restaurant
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Characters Fine Dining - Best Restaurants in Edmonton ›
Characters Fine Dining reviews from OpenTable diners
39 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (28)romantic (22)notable wine list (22)fit for foodies (21)good for groups (17)great for lunch (17)neighborhood gem (7)great for outdoor dining (6)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Great dining nightPopskiVIPDined on 8/30/2014Last minute decision to go for dinner, creative menu presented beautifully, steak cooked perfectly, creative appetizers, wonderful nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/28/2014First time I've been to Characters and it won't be the last. The service and food was excellent, restaurant was spacious and there was a parking lot outside of the restaurant, I couldn't believe it! That might be one of the best parts, free parking at a high end downtown restaurant, wow! Loved it, thanks!Special Features:
- Magicians and ArtistsFoodnotonlyfuelDined on 8/15/2014I am a repeat customer of Characters. Sean and his staff never fail to amaze me with their creativity. Service is always professional yet friendly. The wine list is broad enough to satisfy every level of wine lover. And the food! Always a gastronomical orgy. Characters is the place you sit and enjoy. You will not feel the time pass as you sip your wine, savour the tastes that will dance on your tongue and enjoy the atmosphere with your tablemates. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service & delicious food!KMrunnerDined on 8/9/2014Two of us went for dinner for the first time to Characters; we had a lovely quiet booth near the Scotch exhibit and as soon as we were seated we were promptly shown dinner menus and a wine menu. Our server was friendly and very attentive when we needed her but she seemed to have a second sense about when to give us our privacy. The wine selection is impressive, and the bottle we ordered was served by a sommelier (or we assume he was a sommelier) who was quite knowledgeable about our choice. As for food, words cannot express the culinary delights that await you at this fine dining restaurant! Definitely try the scallop appetizer, the raspberry mousse for dessert, the Cherry Manhattan cocktail, and the Altamura Cabernet Sauvignon wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best place...OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/8/2014Found this restaurant while travelling; the food is really superb and creative; service is perfect and a restaurant serving meat on a warm wooden plank with Laguiole knives,wood handle, is a *** place for me!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night with familyGr8eveningDined on 7/29/2014We celebrated my wife's birthday dinner at Characters and had a terrific experience. They had just changed to a new menu and the food and service was excellent. The Butter Chicken appetizer should be a main dish item....we all loved it. The place definitely has character, great food and desserts. Very nice evening and great choice for a special evening out.Special Features:
- Mose69VIPDined on 7/26/2014Characters has the greatest wine list I've ever seen in a restaurant. Such a great selection, I was glad my server was able to assist me in choosing the right wine to pair with my meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mose69VIPDined on 7/15/2014Very good prices when you account for the quality of the ingredients. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOutstandingDined on 7/2/2014We had a great time with our server and the food presentation was amazing and tasted amazing. Great job to the whole staff at Characters.. we will be back....Special Features:
- UniquemamaduckiDined on 6/27/2014We were able to be seated half hour before our reservation and the service was impeccable. We were immediately poured water. I went with a half bottle of a Pinot Gris (Adorable! Teeny little wine bottles). The jalapeno cheddar bread basket was welcome and delicious. Apparently they only have the bread on Fridays. The calamari starter was a little heavy on the salt but overall well cooked. Not rubbery- perfectly crunchy coating and tender inside. It pairs well with the chili yogurt but the black bean aioli doesn't quite fit with the dish The bison was perfect. It was delivered on HUGE cutting boards but it is portioned into medallions so it works. The potato cakes were wonderful. I wasn't crazy about the date chutney.Special Features:
- Mose69VIPDined on 6/24/2014Without a doubt the best calamari I've ever had! Black bean sauce is so good, I'd drink it on its own.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/14/2014Food was well prepared and hot. Any issued health or other concerns were dealt with in a timely, professional manner and with genuine concern.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/12/2014Amazing food! Best calamari I have ever tasted. We had fantastic wine, and the kids menu (4 courses) was awesome!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday celebrationWhitey780VIPDined on 5/31/2014Perfect all around there wasn't anything I could say bad, I didn't get plates for s'mores for two lol but very trival in the larger scope of things. Cheers!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mose69VIPDined on 5/31/2014Outstanding is an understatement! Perfect in all aspects.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 452 reviews are from the Characters Fine Dining reviews archive.
- Watch my lips: It's about the food.VinceMarinelliDined on 5/2/2014I've been going to Characters for years. It is great for lunch and for dinner. The staff has always been great and the ambiance is very unstuffy pleasant. But I keep going back because of the food.Special Features:
- Elegant diningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/25/2014Very nice restaurant for special occasions and great atmosphere. Staff was excellent.Special Features:
- Always great service and anVegophileDined on 4/11/2014Always great service and an interesting unique menu. Very limited and rather boring vegetarian selection. A few other options would have been nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For foodies with kidsTracklementDined on 4/11/2014They have a kids set menu which keeps them busy your entire dining experience. They have high chairs too, just go early then you won't feel like you are bothering anyone else there. Food is pricey, but great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Myself and party of five eachOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/9/2014Myself and party of five each enjoyed a three course dinner. All of the food we ordered was amazing and I was pleasantly surprised that there is a 4 course kids menu which includes the cutest sundae for dessert. We had fabulous service, great wine, and delectable food. Perfect night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mose69VIPDined on 3/29/2014Fantastic in every way! I can't wait to go back to try more things on the menu.Special Features:
- There is are reason why CharactersLoves2eatDined on 3/28/2014There is are reason why Characters has been around for nearly 15 years. There are few restaurants in Edmonton that will match the consistent outstanding service, food and ambiance that they do. Still one of the best.Special Features:
- Excellent Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/22/2014Overall the experience was above average. Our server helped select appropriate wines and was very knowledgable on the food pairing. The Tuna was good but a bit think and sinewy, it was however very fresh. Other than that the food, wine and dessert was fantastic. We really enjoyed the fries and chips as an alternate to the basic " bread" to start with. The portion size was perfect if you are looking for a fine dining level of food. Complex flavours made the meals great. We will definitely dine there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mediocre, not worth the pricemeowDined on 3/21/2014Service was meh, food is overpriced for the portion size and quality. Not terrible, but not going backSpecial Features:
- Characters is amazing!YegfoodieDined on 3/13/2014My companion and I enjoyed a 5 course meal with fantastic wine pairings. The food was absolutely perfect for every course and our server was friendly and knowledgeable. Characters is a great treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodJenniferDined on 3/13/2014Just thought the portion size could be bigger to satisfy men's appetites especially when you order the meat entrees . They come all cut up on small plates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Portions!Mose69VIPDined on 3/11/2014Having been to fine dining restaurants in New York and Las Vegas, I know that you aren't going to get Denny's sized portions. That saying, Characters doubles the size of those more pretentious establishments. I find if you go with a three or four course dinning experience, you will leave stuffed and satisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Event at the Chef's TableOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/7/2014A multi course meal celebrating the inaugural flight of Iceland Air. Increadible feast ranging from pickled herring and cod balls, salmon and caviar, Icelandic scampi, Icelandic Arctic Char lightly cooked then smoked (heavenly) Icelandic lamb and Alberta lamb. Our perch at the Chef's table allowed us to be part of the action and made for an unforgettable evening. Great wine recommendation. Superb evneing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taste of IcelandSobyDined on 3/6/2014WOW!!! What a terrific opportunity to taste some fabulous food and have a unique experience in a beautiful restaurant.This was our first visit to Characters and we were impressed with how wonderful the Taste of Iceland evening was from all angles. Firstly - the food - This was one of the best and most interesting meals we've had in this city...fresh, innovative, delicious and beautifully presented. Service was perfectly paced. Since Edmonton is looking for ways to celebrate the winter months...what better way than an ongoing monthly "Taste of...... " offering us food from other winter climes and countries.Special Features:
- Great Service!Mose69VIPDined on 2/28/2014Nothing adds to the overall dining experience like an an amazing server. Perfect balance between courses, asking for drinks, pouring wine, and conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/26/2014The food here was awesome, the best thing my friend and I had was actually the appetizer, shrimp cocktail, I would to go back just for that, oh ya, and the sticky toffee pudding! Our main courses were both quite delicious too. The best part about this restaurant was the service! By far the best service I've had in edmonton. Everyone, including the hostess, our waitress and the other waiters were very friendly, but not obtrusive. My friend and I will definitely be going back. I cannot recommend this place enough!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love new menu day!Mose69VIPDined on 2/25/2014Following Characters on social media, I knew Tuesday was the launch of their Spring menu. A group of us went, so we were able to order a lot of different apps, entrees, and desserts. With great creativity and flavor combinations, everything was very good. My winners had to be the calamari app and the bison entree. For the dessert the crown went to the Dutch chocolate cake...truly spectacular!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Class DiningRoystonDined on 2/22/2014A great downtown restaurant for fine dining. Very professional staff. It was great that this restaurant has parking for patrons. Too many downtown eateries have little or no parking. When one has to chase around looking for a place to squeeze a car into it takes the enjoyment out of the evening. And, too many of the parking lots in the Edmonton downtown do not have current technology to pay fees. Still using coins! PLEASE!Special Features:
- Not so fine diningKabake6pkVIPDined on 2/22/2014The food was ok and the prices are not too bad. However, the service left a lot to be desired. If you don't want to introduce yourself then work someplace where you have to wear a name tag. If you have a grand total of 1 table and 1 person at that table orders a drink you should be able to get it right. Especially if you make the drink yourself and it's a simple cocktail. A server in a fine dining restaurant should be able to describe in detail every aspect of the plate put in front of you and not just drop the plate and run. There is also no excuse to overcook duck breast in a restaurant that has 3 tables going and a total of 8 customers. All that being said it was not a bad dining experience. But Characters is fine dining by name only.
- Great place to take a date!Mose69VIPDined on 2/20/2014I'm not saying it's a guarantee, but if you're looking for a place to "close the deal" Characters is the best I've found!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was not blown away.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/15/2014We arrived 5 minutes before our 8 pm reservation and were seated. We received out pre-dinner drinks and a complimentary order of hot fries and crispy potatoe chips accompanied by quite tasty dip. After that the experience went downhill for me unfortunately. I ordered the Alberta Beef Tenderloin and my boyfriend ordered the Veal Wellington. We placed our order around 8:05 and it did not show up until 8:40. My beef tenderloin looked like it had been thrown on the plate with a couple of peeled potatoes and a carrot. I received it rare without the waiter asking me how I like my beef cooked. Despite that the food did taste ok and my boyfriend enjoyed his wellington. For the prices on the menu I would expect better attention to detail.Special Features:
- My wife and I have been toSouthpawDined on 2/15/2014My wife and I have been to Characters a number of times over the past 10 years, and although this visit wasn't poor, it suffered in comparison to previous visits. The food was decent (my mango souffle was excellent), but at $40/plate for main courses, it needs to be better. A couple of the dishes (elk carpaccio, dijon crusted veal) lacked seasoning, something we haven't previously encountered in a meal at Characters. The place was hopping, so maybe it was just a (slightly) off night with all the tables going, but overall a bit of a dissapointment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive for what you getGreyVIPDined on 2/14/2014Characters has been a great downtown restaurant for years, unfortunately , with a number of new imaginative restaurants on the scene, Characters felt a little dated. I felt overall, the quality of the food, service, and menu variety was a little overpriced for what you received.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent place for Valentine's!TravellinMamaDined on 2/13/2014If you are looking for a lovely restaurant with excellent food, ambience and service then Character's won't disappoint. The Ahi tuna and bread pudding were to die for. They have an excellent wine selection and the service was efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really enjoyed the restaurant-thelazyleanneDined on 2/8/2014Really enjoyed the restaurant-the food was amazing and portions were just rightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.