Characters Fine Dining
10257 105 Street
Edmonton, AB T5J 1E3Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: CAN$51 and over
Characters Fine Dining
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.characters.ca/
- Phone: 7804214100x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday thru Friday: 11:30am to 1:30pm;
Dinner: Tuesday thru Saturday: 5:30pm to 9:00pm for reservations
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Shonn Oborowsky
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Chef's Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details.
- Special Events: Business meetings, Corporate Events, Corporate Parties, Wine Tasting Events, Weddings, Anniversaries, Birthdays, Retirement Parties, Christmas Parties, Creative & Fun Events...
Characters Fine Dining will host your special occasion. Please phone 780-421-4100 for arrangements.
A word from Characters Fine Dining
Characters features a menu with a diversity of fresh, seasonal offerings presented with exceptional attentive & accommodating service. Our menu changes seasonally.Continued
Please join us on
Facebook at characters restaurant
Please join us on
Facebook at characters restaurant
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Characters Fine Dining - Best Restaurants in Edmonton ›
Characters Fine Dining reviews from OpenTable diners
47 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (34)romantic (28)fit for foodies (28)notable wine list (27)good for groups (23)great for lunch (17)neighborhood gem (7)great for outdoor dining (6)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (3)late-night find (3)hot spot (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- FridaydatenitedinerDined on 10/25/2014Over all great experience. Dessert was disappointing, raspberry soufflé was to have raspberry ice cream but it did not come with it. Instead they brought cheese cake ice cream that really did not have any flavour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- open kitchenDishDined on 10/18/2014This week's family dinner brought us to Characters. Our party was seated by the bar where we had great views of the open kitchen with the chefs at work. We also saw the carving of a large leg of ham that was on display. It is the black hoof pig - the finest ham in the whole world! Unique! Our meal was satisfying - the kids ordered the bison, tenderloin, and lobster. For dessert we shared the s'mores. It is a must-have! There is a cauldron of fire on the table to roast the homemade marshmallows! Our server was attentive and was very amiable to the kids. Would surely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014I booked a table in the elevator shaft for my husbands 45 Th birthday . My husband is a retired chef so I wanted hi to really enjoy fine dining . Our waiter was awesome , polite and professional . Our meal was cooked to perfection and tasted out of this world . My husband is still in awe and myself I recommend this to anyone who wants to partake in fine dining with excellent service food and atmosphere ! We were unable to order desert because we didn't want to over stuff ourself ....our enjoyment there was almost 2 hours , your not rushed at all ....we will go back again and againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative food experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/11/2014We loved the meal - we had thanksgiving dinner at characters and loved that each course contained some kind of squash - even down to the desert - pumpkin brule - served in a miniature pumpkin. Great food, well presented.Special Features:
- kje1Dined on 10/10/2014Always consistent. I love the restaurant. Service is wonderful.Special Features:
- Mose69VIPDined on 10/8/2014Characters is perfect in every way! There's not much left to say.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/6/2014We come to Characters Fine Dining for our business luncheons. Great location (walking distance for us and available parking for our business associates if they have to drive DT) Food never disappoints ( we had the Warm Spinach Salad with Salmon, Seared Salmon and the Tortellini dish - all three were delicious) Ambience is great for business meetings - never a problem to carry on conversations Service was slightly "off" this time - long waiting timesSpecial Features:
- Nice room, inventive menuRobsterDined on 10/4/2014Terrific room, well lit, tables spaced well apart, no background music. Service was a bit spotty. Food was interesting, not over-salted, and well presented - especially the Earth Salad served on a shovel....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well prepared food & quiet eveningFragolaDined on 9/26/2014Excellent food, quiet for a Friday evening dinner but service a bit unpolished since my dinner companion and I had a server in training as he had announced at the beginning of the evening. We had to ask about the specials instead of our server announcing them automatically. My companion asked for a non-alcoholic cocktail to be made up with no specific ingredient requests. Our server did not have any specific suggestions but brought back a drink concoction without explaining what was in it. I had to stop our server before he left the table to ask what had been made. Other than that no issues for a pleasant evening. Scallop and grilled baby octopus appetizers were well presented, as was the mahi tuna steak, Brome Lake duck was quite filling.Special Features:
- Mose69VIPDined on 9/18/2014I wish that open table would have even higher ratings than five stars, because Characters would definitely earn them. It’s not just the food, it’s the attention to detail. Dining room is set up so that you actually have space to move around and you don’t have to hear the conversation of two different tables close to you. The servers are very knowledgeable about the menu and the open kitchen lets you see how the magic is made. If you are looking for a dining experience and not just a meal, then I would highly recommend Characters!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food but a long sitluvnit2Dined on 9/13/2014We had an incredible evening for dinner for 2 of us. We each tried a multiple of foods for appetizer salad soup and land entrees. The food was very well presented and tasted delicious. We did pick a a wine they were out of but we're given a selection premium to the one we chose and loved it. Our only issue was the wait. The restaurant was only half full and yet we were an hour before we were served our appetizer. Our server did tell us a dinner was being catered as well downstairs in advance of us asking. But the wait did dispell a bit our love of the food! She was a wonderful server and she dealt with the delay as best she couldSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ErinDined on 9/12/2014This was only my second time at Characters, and it does not disappoint! I can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!ToothfairyDined on 9/6/2014My boyfriend and I came here for our one year anniversary and we both loved it! Everything tasted so good and portion sizes were perfect! We loved how they didn't start us off with the same generic bread starters that every restaurant does as well. Quality of food was phenomenal. I truly must try gem in the city. Tableside smores for two! Best experience ever. It gets messy but is so much fun!!!!! Huge but the best way to end your night. And may I also say they have a delicious dessert menu that believe me if I had a stomach large enough to try it all i would! Totally coming back! Service was great! Slower but still very polite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OkaySilver68Dined on 9/6/2014For the price, I was expecting much more. The fried chick pea stack (vegetarian plate) was very salty, and this overpowered the other flavours of the dish. The complementary fries and ships to start were good, but I felt that they were definitely out of place in a restaurant boasting a "fine dining" experience. The raspberry souffle was very nice. Bottom line: I have had much better experiences in higher-scale restaurants in regards to the service and food, for the same price. May not dine here again.Special Features:
- JaneVIPDined on 9/6/2014Have visited this restaurant many times and have always enjoyed. This last visit the food and service was exceptional! Everyone in our party of 4 was thoroughly impressed! Dan our server was excellent...going out of his way to meet our needs yet being considerate not to interrupt our conversations by timing his approach appropriately. Definately recommend the boar bacon wrapped scallop, the bison, Chilean sea bass and raspberry soufflé! Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingCSTODAYDined on 9/6/2014I felt amazed how all went after I worked through my disappointment of being seated in the middle of an area which I had specifically asked not to be done when I made my reservation. Out of three of us, two of us shared the delicious food, I even risked having a tiny taste of the lemony alcohol drink my daughter ordered. I felt welcomed by our server as she received our food/beverage orders. All three of us enjoyed the evening and will return. Thank You!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome. Always dependable.Foodie245Dined on 9/5/2014Bison striploin is the best I've ever had. Scallop appy was divine and the harvest veggies tomato soup was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mose69VIPDined on 9/2/2014I have been to Characters many times and know how wonderful the food and the ambience are. However, this time I was pleasantly surprised when I took my two nieces for dinner. On the new menu, there is a tasting menu for the adults (which I would recommend to anyone), but now they also have one for children. It’s very exciting for them to share in the fine dining experience, with their own four course meal. I don’t know of any other restaurants that offer this wonderful option, so I highly recommend taking the whole family out for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining nightPopskiVIPDined on 8/30/2014Last minute decision to go for dinner, creative menu presented beautifully, steak cooked perfectly, creative appetizers, wonderful nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!trevamyDined on 8/28/2014First time I've been to Characters and it won't be the last. The service and food was excellent, restaurant was spacious and there was a parking lot outside of the restaurant, I couldn't believe it! That might be one of the best parts, free parking at a high end downtown restaurant, wow! Loved it, thanks!Special Features:
- Mose69VIPDined on 8/23/2014Our meal wasn’t just totally delicious; it was also like eating a piece of artwork. The plating and useful colors of ingredients, make their dishes worthy of Michelin stars. Add in the superior wine list, amazing service, and fairly priced menu items, you have the perfect dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Magicians and ArtistsFoodnotonlyfuelDined on 8/15/2014I am a repeat customer of Characters. Sean and his staff never fail to amaze me with their creativity. Service is always professional yet friendly. The wine list is broad enough to satisfy every level of wine lover. And the food! Always a gastronomical orgy. Characters is the place you sit and enjoy. You will not feel the time pass as you sip your wine, savour the tastes that will dance on your tongue and enjoy the atmosphere with your tablemates. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service & delicious food!KMrunnerDined on 8/9/2014Two of us went for dinner for the first time to Characters; we had a lovely quiet booth near the Scotch exhibit and as soon as we were seated we were promptly shown dinner menus and a wine menu. Our server was friendly and very attentive when we needed her but she seemed to have a second sense about when to give us our privacy. The wine selection is impressive, and the bottle we ordered was served by a sommelier (or we assume he was a sommelier) who was quite knowledgeable about our choice. As for food, words cannot express the culinary delights that await you at this fine dining restaurant! Definitely try the scallop appetizer, the raspberry mousse for dessert, the Cherry Manhattan cocktail, and the Altamura Cabernet Sauvignon wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best place...OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/8/2014Found this restaurant while travelling; the food is really superb and creative; service is perfect and a restaurant serving meat on a warm wooden plank with Laguiole knives,wood handle, is a *** place for me!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night with familyGr8eveningDined on 7/29/2014We celebrated my wife's birthday dinner at Characters and had a terrific experience. They had just changed to a new menu and the food and service was excellent. The Butter Chicken appetizer should be a main dish item....we all loved it. The place definitely has character, great food and desserts. Very nice evening and great choice for a special evening out.Special Features:
- Mose69VIPDined on 7/26/2014Characters has the greatest wine list I've ever seen in a restaurant. Such a great selection, I was glad my server was able to assist me in choosing the right wine to pair with my meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mose69VIPDined on 7/15/2014Very good prices when you account for the quality of the ingredients. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOutstandingDined on 7/2/2014We had a great time with our server and the food presentation was amazing and tasted amazing. Great job to the whole staff at Characters.. we will be back....Special Features:
- The following 458 reviews are from the Characters Fine Dining reviews archive.
- UniquemamaduckiDined on 6/27/2014We were able to be seated half hour before our reservation and the service was impeccable. We were immediately poured water. I went with a half bottle of a Pinot Gris (Adorable! Teeny little wine bottles). The jalapeno cheddar bread basket was welcome and delicious. Apparently they only have the bread on Fridays. The calamari starter was a little heavy on the salt but overall well cooked. Not rubbery- perfectly crunchy coating and tender inside. It pairs well with the chili yogurt but the black bean aioli doesn't quite fit with the dish The bison was perfect. It was delivered on HUGE cutting boards but it is portioned into medallions so it works. The potato cakes were wonderful. I wasn't crazy about the date chutney.Special Features:
- Mose69VIPDined on 6/24/2014Without a doubt the best calamari I've ever had! Black bean sauce is so good, I'd drink it on its own.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/14/2014Food was well prepared and hot. Any issued health or other concerns were dealt with in a timely, professional manner and with genuine concern.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/12/2014Amazing food! Best calamari I have ever tasted. We had fantastic wine, and the kids menu (4 courses) was awesome!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday celebrationWhitey780VIPDined on 5/31/2014Perfect all around there wasn't anything I could say bad, I didn't get plates for s'mores for two lol but very trival in the larger scope of things. Cheers!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mose69VIPDined on 5/31/2014Outstanding is an understatement! Perfect in all aspects.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Watch my lips: It's about the food.VinceMarinelliDined on 5/2/2014I've been going to Characters for years. It is great for lunch and for dinner. The staff has always been great and the ambiance is very unstuffy pleasant. But I keep going back because of the food.Special Features:
- Elegant diningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/25/2014Very nice restaurant for special occasions and great atmosphere. Staff was excellent.Special Features:
- Always great service and anVegophileDined on 4/11/2014Always great service and an interesting unique menu. Very limited and rather boring vegetarian selection. A few other options would have been nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For foodies with kidsTracklementDined on 4/11/2014They have a kids set menu which keeps them busy your entire dining experience. They have high chairs too, just go early then you won't feel like you are bothering anyone else there. Food is pricey, but great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Myself and party of five eachOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/9/2014Myself and party of five each enjoyed a three course dinner. All of the food we ordered was amazing and I was pleasantly surprised that there is a 4 course kids menu which includes the cutest sundae for dessert. We had fabulous service, great wine, and delectable food. Perfect night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mose69VIPDined on 3/29/2014Fantastic in every way! I can't wait to go back to try more things on the menu.Special Features: