Char Steakhouse - Red Bank
33 Broad St
Red Bank, NJ 07701Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $30 and under
Char Steakhouse - Red Bank
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.charsteakhouse.com/
- Phone: 732-450-2427x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 3:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine
A word from Char Steakhouse - Red Bank
Finally, a New York style atmosphere and experience crosses the Hudson to Central Jersey. Char Steakhouse's innovative cuisine features only the finest cuts of Dry Aged and Prime Beef with fish delivered fresh daily. Guests will dine by landscaped views revealed by towering windows. Mahogany wood walls and ceiling treatments create an authentic steakhouse environment rivaled by none in the New Jersey dining scene. Unique features include four modern fireplaces that are the first of their kind, a curved wall of water that rains serenity in the aptly named Rain Room. Guests can enjoy 7 cuts of the finest quality dry aged beef or snack on oysters and colossal blue crab from our premier raw bar. Seating in the lounge is offered on a first come first serve basis or party goers can reserve arched custom booths for up to twelve. Our highly trained and experienced staff exhibit warmth and hospitality in welcoming Char's guests home. All of this at a prices you never thought possible.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Char Steakhouse - Red Bank - Best Restaurants in Red Bank ›
Char Steakhouse - Red Bank reviews from OpenTable diners
128 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (72)hot spot (53)romantic (51)neighborhood gem (36)vibrant bar scene (36)notable wine list (33)good for groups (33)fit for foodies (31)great for outdoor dining (12)late-night find (10)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (4)great for lunch (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- PhylVIPDined on 9/16/2014Place is exquisite. Service was great. The steaks were delicious. However the lambchopd were very disappointing. They were very thin not very juicy and an unspeaking charcoal taste All else was comendable NSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time at Chardining2goDined on 9/14/2014We received a gift certificate for Char. Although we live very close to Red Bank, we don't usually dine there because of the parking situation. We went on a Sunday evening. The service was impeccable, and the food was delicious. We went early in the evening so it was relatively quiet. As we were finishing, the dining room began to fill up. The bar area was busy while we were there, but the noise level was low. We will be back to Char.Special Features:
- worth iteatineddieVIPDined on 9/13/2014if you come here for steak, it is a little pricey but the steak is certainly worth it..steaks are excellent other dishes are very good. Only drawback is that it is overly noisy, between the noise of patrons and the music which forces everyone to speak louder, we could barely hear our waiter describing the evenings specials..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not thrilledSpecialTmomVIPDined on 9/12/2014We have eaten at Chars other restaurant in Raritan and loved it. Although this place is pretty the food was fair. The on bone steak was not of the highest quality I expected. The vegetable sides were small as well. The service was excellent. We might give it another trySpecial Features:
- Over pricedEricDined on 9/7/2014Everyone that ordered a filet mignon had it come out butterflied, even if you ordered medium rare. I liked mine as I eat my meat extremely well done, but everyone else wanted a little pink and they were all well done. We went there for my sons 18th birthday and wanted something special, over $400 and it was not good. I recently went to a Long Horn restaurant chain in Florida and that was better then this. not worth it!!
- gibsongirlVIPDined on 9/6/2014Classy looking place, pleasant,competent staff and fabulous food!! Enjoyed the experience and hope to return.Special Features:
- Good but PriceyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/5/2014Char is one of the Red bank restaurants that tends to overcharge for a manhattan style atmosphere. The service was excellent and attentive. The ambiance is very nice, but the al a carte menu tends to be pricey for the quality of food. The menu selections are very satisfactory. I ordered the cowboy rib eye and my wife had the crab cakes. Both were nice but we've had better.The cocktails were very good but again a trifle expensive. Overall not a disappointment but you do expect a little more as far as the food quality for the money.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2014I raved about this restaurant to all my friends after dining here back in May. I can't say enough about how delicious our meal was from the appetizers to the dessert. I've been back twice since then and each time found it to be a delight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the price !Out2xweeklyDined on 8/30/2014Just an average meal , not worth the money . This restaurant is trying very hard to be 5 star with 3 star food . They should stop the theatrics and concentrate on the food .Special Features:
- Excellent foodJoeCustomerDined on 8/28/2014The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars across the board was because we were seated by an exit door that people kept using and the staff utilized to retrieve chairs. We celebrated an anniversary and the staff was helpful in planning. Very courteous and professional. Excellent food!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Young couples on a budget.DineriteinDined on 8/27/2014If you are in your mid 20's and you are looking for a fantastic place to take your loved one this is the place. My soon to be wife and I have a budget when it comes to eating out and char met it. We were able to enjoy our main course without feeling like it broke the bank. And desert was one of a kind. I was able to leave with a smile and cash still in my pocket to enjoy the rest of red bank.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014Was my first visit to Char which came highly recommended by several business associates. The restaurant did not disappoint. Very vibrant atmosphere both inside and out. Strong wine selection. Steaks were cooked to perfection. Kobe meatball appetizer was exceptional. We will return and have recommended the restaurant to several others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Char is a superb neighborhood findLeeB13VIPDined on 8/21/2014Char is a well-managed superb neighborhood find with a choice of indoor and outdoor dining. The location in downtown Red Bank is convenient. I usually order the bone-in ribeye but was convinced to try the Kansas City cut this time, resulting in a new favorite. Char is so versatile, I host customers as well as holiday parties and of course, special occasions with my spouse. Char does not disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceLms0403Dined on 8/16/2014The food was great the service was great prices are really expensive! Will go back for a special occasion it will not bring a large group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Worthy.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014If one is to be successful in the restaurant world you must have these basic things. One, great food, two, great service, and three, great prices. The food was way too salty! The Filet Mignon was tenderized with MSG I believe, green beans were cold, Grouper was well cooked, but the big problem with all these so called "high end" places is that they charge an arm and a leg for small ala carte entre"s. Liquor prices were unaffordable to a middle class patron. Finally, go to Outback, you'll save a bunch of money, steak will be just as good, and you'll have money left over for a large Strollo's Lighthouse Ice!
- Great night out!luvgoodtimesDined on 8/9/2014Really great food with great presentation and atmosphere plus! You get what you pay for (except the wine, which was over-priced at $13 for not naming a brand). Ask for server Mark - he was the best!Special Features:
- Great steak and raw barMichDined on 8/8/2014Dinner was great and steak cooked well. Great atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ravenVIPDined on 8/8/2014wonderful server and the kitchen is willing to work with the diners which is most appreciated. The steak was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceKipDalyDined on 8/7/2014My steak was cooked to a medium well when I asked for medium, just a few minutes to long but was tender and tasted great. My wife had the Chilean sea bass which was wonderful. It was served over Risotto, just fabulous. The server (Michael) was very professional, knowledgeable, and attentive to our needs. It's a bit pricey but you get what you pay for and we were not disappointed. The place itself is easy to find and beautiful inside. Overall, a very nice dinning experience and a must try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall satisfactoryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/5/2014Steaks and other dishes needed seasoning, if your name is char you'd better not burn the steaks. And you did. Service was right on. not a crumb left on the table in between courses. very attentive server. popovers where great, water filled as soon as the glass was half full. even the mater de stepped in to helpI would recommend this to a friend.
- always delicious, never disappointspickyeaterDined on 8/4/2014Calamari was cooked perfectly and the dipping sauces that accompanied it were excellent. The 12 ounce filets were perfectly cooked, and the char sauce and red wine sauce are my favorites. Mashed potatoes were great. I always order a seasonal cocktail and haven't disliked one yet. Great place to eat out any night of the week. Worth every penny!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic meal!Vanelovesfood1Dined on 8/3/2014Loved everything from the appetizers to the dessert! Fantastic menu and night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yummmDined on 8/3/2014HAVE ENJOYED CHAR BOTH LOCATIONS ON NUMEROUS OCCASIONS AND HAVE ALWAYS SAID YUMMM. THIS LAST VISIT WAS A DISAPPOINTMENT.. THE POPOVERS WERE COLD. THE STEAK WAS COLD WITH GRIZZLE AND TASTELESS ,TOLD THE WAITER BUT HE DID NOT COMMENT.. .THE COW!!! THE LYONAISE POTAOES WERE DRIED.. THE RESTAURANT WAS NOT BUSY SO COULD NOT BLAME ON THE KITCHEN. WILL GO BACK AGAIN AND HOPE THIS WAS A ONE TIME UNUSUAL EXPERIENCE. ALWAYS RECOMMENDED CHAR BUT NOW VERY HESITANT.Special Features:
- 1st timer - special occasionBadge2hoopsDined on 8/2/2014Made reservations very easily on open table for this past Saturday night (6pm) arrived a little earlier and everything was set, ready to go. My guest and I decided to have a drink at the bar first. The evening was very good from the start. Food was delicious, drinks came quickly, waitress was very good. I took friends out for showing my appreciation for a home project we recently completed. So I knew it was an expensive night and I was ready for it. I can't say anything bad about my experience at Char other than just be ready to open the wallet. It's an expensive evening but as long as your willing and aware Char is a most for a nice night out or special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodfindDined on 8/2/2014This was our first time at Char and we impressed . The food and service were excellent. We were with friends who also felt the same way.Special Features:
- bzbeziDined on 7/29/2014Restaurant was very nice. everything was clean and my wife and I were met at the door by very courteous staff. I had made reservations with a request for a quiet corner of the restaurant and they were able to accommodate. I even had flowers sent to the restaurant a head of time and they were nicely arranged when we arrived. The food was very good and displayed nicely. The service was perfect. They were always available yet not overbearing. Everything was great and I will be back again and will also recommend.Special Features:
- Good but a bit overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/28/2014Food was good, it should include sides, even if that meant paying for a more expensive meal which I wouldn't mind. Area is very beautiful although the couch tables are uncomfortable since you have no support for your back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- HaskellSmoothVIPDined on 7/27/2014Great place to hang out after Haskell Red Bank great townSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- chartasticJaneDined on 7/25/2014great service and dinning , the steak was not as marbled so it was not as good as beforeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experience..Sleepycat01Dined on 7/25/2014This was a great way to end a mini vacation... Service was top notch as was the food, would happily dine here again and will recommend highly to friends.Special Features:
- Very Good ExperienceEricVIPDined on 7/19/2014We have dined at Char several times in the past. Always very good. Seafood tower was fantastic. Filet was excellent. Pierre is our favorite waiter, he enhances the dining experience. Always great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but expensiveSerena517Dined on 7/19/2014The seafood appetizers was fantastic. The steak was good but overdone for medium. Everything is ala carte so it adds up quickly. Dinner for 4 was almost $500. Definitely a "special occasion" place.Special Features:
- Great restaurant!165mainsDined on 7/13/2014we were very pleased with the service,the food & and the awesome Desserts! the service was phenomenal! we will be back!Special Features:
- Mediocre food, not what we expectedEZandFun2Dined on 7/12/2014High prices and less meat than advertised on the menu. Good service for mediocre food. Not elegant in dining areas but rather mostly people wearing shorts and flip flops.
- For a Steakhouse......DisappointedDined on 7/12/2014Just not that good steaks. Touted as Prime...just not tender or juicy enough. Not sure what happened in the process. Ordewred the Cowboy Ribeye - which should be full of flavor but sadly was not. If you are going to charge those prices for steak - fine - but deliver quality which makes me feel ok about the price.......Appetizers were good - probably the best part of the meal. Side dishes of Sauteed spinach ond mashed potatoes - were uninspired and nothing special. overall - disappointed.
- Dinner for 6TableforsixDined on 7/12/2014The good. Service was attentive, table ready when we arrived, bread choices terrific, food tasty. Steak done to order. The not so good. Portions small. I had the grouper which was very good but the piece was small for the $27 price. The asparagus which I shared with my husband were tough and had some sauce on them that spoiled the taste. The glass of wine was tiny! The special arugula salad with berries and macadamia nuts was bitter with only 4 berries and 3 nuts. Prices are high and the amount of food small per serving. Every thing is alacarte.Special Features:
- BlandMustLoveFoodDined on 7/11/2014Unfortunately, my filet mignon was served with a small pool of blood. I ordered it oscar style. The crab left a lot to be desired. I usually prefer lumps of crab meat but this was presented with small bits of crab swimming in bearnaise sauce. The 'baby green beans' lacked seasoning as did the garlic mashed potatoes. At least my steak was cooked to order.Special Features:
- Eatin EddieeatineddieVIPDined on 7/5/2014one of the best in the very active restaurant scene in Red Bank NJ. Have not had a better steak anywhere at "the shore"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too loudLisaRalphDined on 6/28/2014Food was great, overall staff was friendly, professional and accommodating to expectation. The only issue was the noise level. It was more like a "club" atmosphere than an intimate dinner.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014had a great experience, was impressed with the staff and the options on the menu, the Double Cut Porterhouse was incredibleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.