Char Steakhouse - Red Bank
33 Broad St
Red Bank, NJ 07701Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $30 and under
Char Steakhouse - Red Bank
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.charsteakhouse.com/
- Phone: (732) 450-2427
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 3:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine
A word from Char Steakhouse - Red Bank
Finally, a New York style atmosphere and experience crosses the Hudson to Central Jersey. Char Steakhouse's innovative cuisine features only the finest cuts of Dry Aged and Prime Beef with fish delivered fresh daily. Guests will dine by landscaped views revealed by towering windows. Mahogany wood walls and ceiling treatments create an authentic steakhouse environment rivaled by none in the New Jersey dining scene. Unique features include four modern fireplaces that are the first of their kind, a curved wall of water that rains serenity in the aptly named Rain Room. Guests can enjoy 7 cuts of the finest quality dry aged beef or snack on oysters and colossal blue crab from our premier raw bar. Seating in the lounge is offered on a first come first serve basis or party goers can reserve arched custom booths for up to twelve. Our highly trained and experienced staff exhibit warmth and hospitality in welcoming Char's guests home. All of this at a prices you never thought possible.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Char Steakhouse - Red Bank - Best Restaurants in Red Bank ›
Char Steakhouse - Red Bank reviews from OpenTable diners
129 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (70)hot spot (63)romantic (54)good for groups (54)vibrant bar scene (51)notable wine list (40)neighborhood gem (36)fit for foodies (32)great for outdoor dining (13)late-night find (9)great for lunch (6)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (4)great for brunch (3)Show More
- Char Red Bank ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/14/2014I was very much impressed with my experience at Char. We were seated immediately in the center of their downstairs rain room. When our server arrived she kindly welcomed us to char and explained the restaurant and all of the menu items ($20 and $40 for seafood and steaks and sides are separate served family style). The surrounding wait staff came around with water, assorted bread etc. We ordered the NY Strip (Prime,Dry Aged) and the crab cakes which both came out to perfection. Expect to pay $100 per person for overall meal and the full experience. (Food & Drink) On a side note however, I did feel somewhat rushed only in the beginning as there was someone offering more bread, another adding water, another doing something else, another cleaning crumbs off the table every five minutes. At one point, the server came over with another glass of wine in a decanter ready to pour asking if I wanted the glass which I thought was a little bold. BUT as I started talking to all of them of them I came to understanding that yes they are trying to up sell but they do also sincerely care about all the fine details and that you have a excellent dining experience. Just tell them to slow down if need be and you'll be just fine. EnjoySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerHOLLYWOODDined on 11/14/2014Went to Char Friday night Nov 14th. It was great, I even requested a corner upstairs seating for 4. And thats just what they had. Crowd was moderate Drinks came right away which made the time pleasant. The wait for food was a bit long. So if your in a rush to eat I would not recommend dining here. But if youre just enjoying the time out and looking for a beautiful impressive flair Its Great. But it all comes with a price....Nothing is free in this Place....lolSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingmjcammDined on 11/14/2014Pushy service , felt rushed and we were asked to get up from the table and go sit in the bar after we were rushed through our meal They did buy us a drink for the move but it was rudely handled Food was not over the top I expected more Disappointed
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/12/2014The food was very good and it was very lively for a Wednesday evening in downtown Red Bank, New Jersey. I would highly recommend a trip to Char.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarkDined on 11/10/2014Excellent food, service, and ambience. Would definitely go again.Special Features:
- Very Good ExperienceEricVIPDined on 11/8/2014Dined at Char for an anniversary dinner. Veal chop was excellent. The tuna filet was also very good. Our waiter Pierre was outstanding. Overall a great time. Char is on the pricey side, but we enjoy the restaurant...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unparralled Excellence!RedBankerDined on 11/8/2014Food is always fresh and prepared to perfection. Service is spot on. Ambiance is cutting edge. Red Banks premier restaurant by far.Special Features:
- CharmagsDined on 11/8/2014The service was excellent and the food was great. They took off our drinks from the bill as an anniversary gift. Overall it was an excellent experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great but...diningoutinjerseyDined on 11/7/2014They tried seating us under a huge flat screen tv. No way. Keep them in the bar. Not in the dining area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/2/2014Awesome dining experience with wonderful service and great food and drinksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Char food excellent, service ?tennisDined on 11/2/2014Food and presentation both excellent. However, the service was less than excellent. we were a party of 4, and felt rushed for a fine dining spot. Each course came out as soon as we were finished with the previous one. All of us commented on this, as well as the manager breezing by our table asking how everything was, but not waiting for the answer. The server had said that if we were not happy with one of the sides we ordered, she would replace it-but never came back to check to see if we wanted a different one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fundamentals of ownership 101NicoleTDined on 11/1/2014To begin your server didn’t have knowledge of your bar. Mind you this is the area in which the restaurant yields its highest ROI. Your manager does not deserve his title and needs to be taught the fundamentals of customer service. You had no Sloe Gin and you ran out of Patron. The icing on the cake was when I looked up, all I could see on your tin like 3D wall art was years of filth/dust and allergens. What a mood changer, at that point appetite was gone. FYI your manager greeted every table in our area, because I called him out to our server, he did not make eye contact with me. As a former investor in this industry, I was embarrassed to take a 6 top out for a $800 meal. Your restaurant was not worth the mental abuse!Special Features:
- Just plain bad steakdrfoodVIPDined on 11/1/2014I am a steak connoisseur, this was below Outback quality for $45. Just terribleSpecial Features:
- Almost perfectOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/1/2014I got the surf and turf and the turf was terrific but the steak was just okay -- too well-done for medium. Otherwise, everything was very, very good. My wife's short ribs were delicious (she gave me a bite) and the manhattan cocktail was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special OccasionLunchDined on 10/25/2014Went for my anniversary dinner, bone-in filet was great, however the wine was pricey. I would go back... and I would recommend it.Special Features:
- raiderDined on 10/24/2014Service was both friendly and attentive, we all had steaks that were tender and grilled to the correct level of done ness. The only negative was the amount of muscles on the app. Portion although they were excellent in taste and texture.Special Features:
- Steak's good here too!GCNY40Dined on 10/20/2014I've been to the Raritan location and this was my 1st time in Red Bank. Both decors are similar and upscale. The crab cake appetizer was excellent. I had the house greens salad which was a good size but was drenched in dressing. My gf had the Tomato & Bufala Mozzarela salad that she didn't finish. As for the entrée, I had the filet and my gf had the NY strip - both of us thought they were very good. I understand the a la carte menu on sides but $8 for sautéed onions which I love drives me nuts - I didn't order it on principle. We did have the broccoli rabbe and the mashed sweet potatoes which were great. Our waitress was knowledgeable regarding the menu but disappeared for long stretches. Overall, I would definitely dine again.Special Features:
- SUCH A SHAMEOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/19/2014I had went to Char as a walk-in last Friday evening. After seeing quite a crowd I had inquired if they would be able to seat us within a reasonable amount of time. The woman at the hostess stand indicated we would have a 30-45 minute wait. After having a few drinks at their bar and 45 minutes passing I returned to the hostess stand to see how my chances with an open table were now progressing. I gave my name and phone number to what appeared to be a manager. In a pathetic pretentious manner he related that I would not be seated for another 1-2 hours. The woman who told us 45 minutes was explaining to him that we had previously been to the hostess stand and have already been waiting and our table was opening up in another 5-10 minutes. He told her she didn't know what she was talking about. So we left. 10 minutes in to our departure I received a text indicating our table was open. I replied back that thanks to the so called manager in the bad suit we left due to his ignorance and lack of customer service skills and that we would not be returning. I received another text "you know what you can go and do right". Sorry but when I receive service like this I move on ... there are soon many other businesses in the local area that are starving for customers. Soon many places in the area that truly do know how to treat a customer. This place is just a "curiosity" since they have been there, Their food is not what I expected from previous visits and their ability to serve correctly is rather lacking.
- Great night outPurplepassionDined on 10/18/2014The atmosphere was great. The food and service were good. Great for a special occassion or date night.Special Features:
- Get Burned at CharOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014When I order a steak at $40.00++, I expect it to be phenomenal, and I have had much better for much less. ALso, I a not a fan of "ala carte", charging $8 for a potato and $8 for a veggie, i.e. "creamed spinach". If a restaurant is going to be pretentious, then it must have a great reason, and we could not find one. THe wine list is extensive and very much on the high end; our waitress, explained, "in lenght", the bargain of a bottle for $145. I did have a fabulous Martini, so I would recommen stopping in for a cocktail, and taking your appetitie elsewhere!Special Features:
- Worth Every PennyLocalSpartanDined on 10/11/2014Probably the best experience I have had in a Monmouth County steakhouse in 20 years. From the hostess helping us close out at the bar before sitting, to the manager asking us how everything was as we walked out satiated, the service, food and atmosphere were on point, Highly recommend the bourbon bread dessert, and I am not a dessert eater!Special Features:
- Great steak!!!BatmanDined on 10/11/2014The service is outstanding and the steak was cooked to perfection. I truly enjoyed the meal but wished that some sides came with the meal rather than a la cartSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedgeorgegDined on 10/9/2014This was my second time at this restaurant, both were a disappointment. The prices were over the top for food that was at best sub par. The service left something to be desired and our waiter was very pushy with trying to up sell the bill. I wont be returning.
- Mr. and Mrs. B from njcjinnjDined on 10/4/2014We booked a table through Open Table and when we arrived ten minutes late the table was not ready. We had to stand in the bar area and could not reach the bar for a drink because of a big Saturday night crowd. Our appetizers were very good but very small for the price. Our drinks also were small with a huge price. Our steak entree's were excellent, delicious and butter soft and again very expensive. Nice atmosphere and excellent waiters and waitresses, attentive and polite. We will go again for a special occasion but not on a Saturday night!Special Features:
- The Most Basic of Basic SteakhousesDateNightDined on 10/4/2014Char is about as straight down the fairway as you could possibly get for a steakhouse. The wine list is comprised of established name-brand, California/Napa labels, and showed no imagination and had no interesting or unique offerings. I tried ordering a Sazerac cocktail to start and got rejected because the bartender didn't know what it was. The Manhattan I got instead was basically just a couple shots of bourbon. Then they delivered the wrong vintage on the bottle wine that we selected. The menu could have been taken from any basic steakhouse. My medium-rare steak was more "medium", but tasted good as did the button mushrooms and garlic mashed potatoes. The waitress was very nice and the food was solid, but unimaginative.Special Features:
- Char Red BankConcertgoerDined on 10/4/2014Food was excellent for the most part. The sautéed mushrooms came out charred, twice. Waiter, Mark, was gracious and took them off the bill. Can't miss saying that the maitre'd was a pompous jerk. Never seen a man walk around with such attitude and disdain.
- Great dinner pre Count Bassie showtwshoreyDined on 10/4/2014Steaks (cowboy ribeye for me, ny strip for her) were fantastic - great age, great fat content, perfect seasoning. Sides (brussels sprouts with bacon and a maple reduction, and potatoes gratin) were very well done. Brussels sprouts were the right al dente and the potatoes were decadent but not heavy. Deserts - apple cobbler for her, bread pudding for me - were spot on. Service was excellent (ask for Jonathan). Sat outside - the heaters were very effective. Kept us comfortable on a cool evening. Great place for dinner before a show at Count BassieSpecial Features:
- Great Dining ExperienceifitDined on 10/3/2014I went for my birthday and it was a great place for my celebration. Service was great food was even better. I love that for a party of 6 you could order your sides family style. I will be going back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall Very DisappointingJGdinerDined on 10/1/2014After relocating to the Jersey Shore from 15 plus years in NYC, I continue to be stymied by restaurants which feel that 'they' are up to NYC standards and therefore charge NYC prices but lack the food, service and ambiance that a high end NYC restaurant fairly provides. Char in Red Bank fits this bill charging $54 for a Bone In Filet Mignon, and was thrilled to see it listed as a special on the menu. But was quite disappointed, A small and gristly piece of meat which shocked me for filet mignon. The portions were overall small, the staff seamed quite confused, not knowing whether or not to clear or not clear.... (about 4 times throughout the entree course) All the while a Game was on which really brought down the overall ambiance.
- Loved It!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Excellent food, service, and ambiance. What more can you ask?
- Perfect Friday nightPMacVIPDined on 9/26/2014We didn't have a whole lot of time as we had another commitment later in the evening. We told our server and he made sure that we weren't waiting too long between courses. The steaks were perfect - the Ribeye was very juicy and flavorful, definitely a great choice. While it's not the cheapest place to eat, it is more reasonably priced than most other steakhouses we have been to. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Exceptional!ImpressedVIPDined on 9/21/2014From booking my reservation with hostess Ariana to paying the check and getting the car from valet, Char was a class act. I always sort of feel sorry for our server when our large group goes out because we can be a bit overwhelming, but she was unphased by us and delivered a truly wonderful experience. We took her recommendations and most enjoyed the lobster avocado salad, St. Louis Ribs (they fall off the bone,) Bone In Filet Mignon, and lobster Mac and cheese (amazing.) When we gave several credit cards for payment, she returned with the perfectly split check with our own check books and pens. A+++Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeSil1207Dined on 9/20/2014The food, service and staff are extremely nice. I would recommend this place to a first time visitorSpecial Features:
- overpriced and mediocrefatfoodieDined on 9/19/2014$150 for two, no dessert and salad for appetizer. I had a 14oz steak, she had surf and turf, we each had 1 glass of wine. The food was meh, it was loud and they have an enormous TV in the dining room. why that's necessary for an upscale restaurant outside of the bar area, I have no idea.
- First Time's a Charm....Dine2enjoyDined on 9/19/2014We had a great time. Had dinner with family, no particular reason, but thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Our waiter, Jack, was a really nice guy. The food was very good, a little pricey, but definitely worth it after tasting - full of great flavors! It was a Friday night and the restaurant was buzzing with people which was nice to see. We will definitely go back for seconds.Special Features:
- Interesting placeOutsideEatsDined on 9/18/2014This is a steak place that seems to be trying to be like a NY steak house. Food was very good, and service was great. The seafood tower was disappointing and they were out of the stuffed prawns that were delicious last time I was there. They gave us a table in the corner facing a wall even through there were others available. I should have asked to be moved so that was on me. Steaks are great and the sides were awesome. I will defiantly go back as long as the weather is nice so we can eat at a table outside. The bartender was awesome.Special Features:
- PhylVIPDined on 9/16/2014Place is exquisite. Service was great. The steaks were delicious. However the lambchopd were very disappointing. They were very thin not very juicy and an unspeaking charcoal taste All else was comendable NSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time at Chardining2goDined on 9/14/2014We received a gift certificate for Char. Although we live very close to Red Bank, we don't usually dine there because of the parking situation. We went on a Sunday evening. The service was impeccable, and the food was delicious. We went early in the evening so it was relatively quiet. As we were finishing, the dining room began to fill up. The bar area was busy while we were there, but the noise level was low. We will be back to Char.Special Features:
- worth iteatineddieVIPDined on 9/13/2014if you come here for steak, it is a little pricey but the steak is certainly worth it..steaks are excellent other dishes are very good. Only drawback is that it is overly noisy, between the noise of patrons and the music which forces everyone to speak louder, we could barely hear our waiter describing the evenings specials..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not thrilledSpecialTmomVIPDined on 9/12/2014We have eaten at Chars other restaurant in Raritan and loved it. Although this place is pretty the food was fair. The on bone steak was not of the highest quality I expected. The vegetable sides were small as well. The service was excellent. We might give it another trySpecial Features: