Char Steakhouse - Putnam Valley
151 Bryant Pond Rd
Putnam Valley, NY 10579Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Char Steakhouse - Putnam Valley
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://charsteakhouseandbar.com/
- Phone: (845) 526-1200
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday ... 4:00 - 9:00 pm
Friday, Saturday ... 4:00 - 10:00 pm
Sunday ... 3:00 - 9:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Anthony J. Chach
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Contact us to arrange off-premise catering.
- Entertainment: Check the "Upcoming Events" page of our website for Holiday events and a schedule of performers in the Char Bar.
- Special Events: We participate in Restaurant Week, Best Chefs of the Hudson Valley, and various other events as well as hosting our own Valentine's, Mother's Day, Halloween, and New Year's Eve events. Check our website or join our email list for updates on Char Special Events.
A word from Char Steakhouse - Putnam Valley
It's Restaurant Week!! Join us for our Special Three Course Menu for Only $29.95 per person (+tax and gratuity). Availoable 11/4/2014 - 11/16/2014.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Char Steakhouse - Putnam Valley reviews from OpenTable diners
60 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (28)good for groups (26)special occasion (25)fit for foodies (18)romantic (16)kid-friendly (6)notable wine list (6)vibrant bar scene (5)hot spot (3)great for brunch (3)great for lunch (3)great for outdoor dining (2)late-night find (2)Show More
- cozyverypleasednfDined on 11/16/2014the restaurant had a nice fireplace food was fairSpecial Features:
- Amazing placeDeniseDined on 11/15/2014I went to dinner on a Saturday night during restaurant week. We had 16 at our table and it was fantastic. We went to the bar first for have a drink while they were getting our table ready. They have a trendy bar area nice lighting, great service, and tasty drink specials. The bartender came over to our table and took our orders so we didn't have to get up. Once we were seated we had the best waitress named Nikki. She was fantastic so funny and personable. The menu for restaurant week was amazing. So many selection in both appetizers and entrees. They ran out of the coconut shrimp appetizer and someone asked if they could have the scallops wrapped in bacon. Our waitress said, "I will make this happen let me ask". She sure did!!! The owner came over to the table and they also had the chef greet us at the end. For a young man he cooks like he has 30 years in the business at top restaurants. I had the duck which was delicious! Everyone was extremely happy with this restaurant and I will definitely be returning. I will of course request Nikki again!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!cNymomx4Dined on 11/15/2014As always, food is excellent. Noise level is my only issue. Near impossible to carry on conversation with more than one person. May try weeknight next time.....less crowded?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great diningBolt5Dined on 11/15/2014Went during last night of restaurant week and restaurant was very busy. Everything was under control and well ran . Good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- glock19glock19Dined on 11/15/2014Waited a very long time for a place to get a good steak, Char not only has great food, but is close enough so we can go there as often as we like.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will give it a second chanceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/14/2014when we arrived we were seated right off, no problem. Our drink order was taken and took forever to get to get them.. Dinner was great, food just the way we ordered. On our desert order it too took forever to get that item.. No reason to drop the ball on those two items.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very pleasent surprise!ArnieDined on 11/14/2014We took advantage of Hudson Valley Restaurant Week event to try Char and now wonder why we waited so long. We were seated by the large fireplace on a chilly night and were delighted. The Dining room is nicely decorated and even when filled the noise level is low. We had Spinach and Artichoke dip, that was freshly made, and Tuna Scoops, both were excellent. My Wife had Duck a L' Orange, the duck was almost as good as Zeph's, and I had Braised Short Ribs, Outrageous! Cannoli Dip and Raspberry Sorbet were Desert. Our server Jessica, was attentive without being annoying and was a delight, the regular Menu prices are reasonable for the very good portion size and overall quality of the food. We are regulars from now on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top 10Savy84Dined on 11/13/2014Char should be listed on the top 10 as #1. From start to finish it was a great experience. The minute we walked in the Host greeted us and it wasn't the first nor last time we saw him. You could tell that he cares about the restaurant to make sure everyone was doing fine. Our waitress wass great on explaining the menu. The food was fabulouso from the appetiizer to desert, perfection. My husband and I sat by the fireplace and it made for a special romantic eviening. We were in our own little world. We recommended the restaurant to two of our friends. We already made reservations for next week. Thank you!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Char dinnerTeacherDined on 11/12/2014We went to Char for HV Rest. Week. While I enjoyed my duck, which was cooked perfectly my husband was disappointed in his chimichurri skirt steak. The chimichurri sauce was nondescript. Desserts were good. Service was a bit slow.Special Features:
- No idea we had a great steakhouse so closeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/7/2014We arrived about 25 minutes early for our reservation and they were happy to seat us immediately. We went during restaurant week to try a new place and will definitely be back. The food was very good quality, flavorful, and savory. It left you pining for the next course to come out! The only concern we had with our meal was our initial server who seemed to either be new or overwhelmed. However, our order was correct, delivered quickly, and we were visited by management to check on us which is always a sign of a good restaurant. In addition, the house Cab which I had to accompany my NY strip was exceptional. Can't wait to visit again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GBOADined on 11/7/2014Great steak and butternut squash ravioli along with outstanding serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy by the fireplaceJoeyCDined on 11/6/2014We enjoyed the selections from the Restaurant week menu and noticed there are many sections on the regular menu that are just waiting for us to try. We went to the Jack O'Lantern Blaze event first and was so nice to get there and enjoy our dinner in front of the hearth. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- much needed restaurant!kenbearDined on 10/26/2014I have been to Char 3 times, each time a wonderful experience. In an area with too many Italian restaurants, it is such a pleasure to have steak and other culinary options at this restaurant. The food was exquisite and the wait staff is very attentive: such an added bonus! I will dine there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consumer advocateMrFoodJudgeDined on 10/18/2014My son ordered a hamburger which he said was hot and tasty. He thought he bun was good, however, he thought the fries were fair. I had one of the fish specials-- Florida Red Snapper with mango rice salsa and mixed vegetables. It was heavenly and enough of a reason for me to return. Also it came out steaming hot. I liked the way the runner ran out our main courses. The noise level is high which is surprising as there is carpeting. They used the fireplace which was a nice touch. The coffee came out cold. Our waitress brought out more coffee. Rick, you need to do something about your coffee which is the only down side of this restaurant (and by the way your other restaurant Rick's seafood). Our waitress Nicky was very personable .Special Features:
- Great food, Great ServiceLourdesIDined on 10/5/2014We were a party of 7 celebrating a birthday. The service and food were excellent. Two of us had been there a few times before and recommended this restaurant to the other five because we have always enjoyed every thing about this place. The rest of the party were already making plans to return for dinner. We all had a great time. The drinks arrived promptly and were excellent. The appetizers were so good. The steaks, ahi tuna, penne pasta with pesto sauce, and the lamb chops were so tasty, tender, and well presented. We will all be going there again soon.Special Features:
- CharOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/4/2014Tables were too low or chairs were too high and the tables were very small. Our waitress, Nicki, was fabulous!!! More expensive than we thought it would be, but overall a good restaurant. Would go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverpricedPriceyDined on 9/26/2014Went for a special occasion with a table of 9. Most food came out cold, a few ordered filet mignon medium and it came out well do e. Very pricey.
- Great special occasionnomnommomDined on 9/19/2014We dined on a Friday night and found it quiet and romantic early in the evening, becoming more robust in the noise level as the time approached 8:00. The service was excellent. We had shrimp as an appetizer and it was delicious. My husband had the filet mignon and said it was delicious, although i noticed it was a little more cooked than the "medium" that he asked for. He ate it all, though, and loved the bearnaise sauce that went with it. I had the salmon entree and it was cooked perfectly and i also loved the honey mustard sauce that went with it. It is a pricey restaurant, and not for kids. We will definitely return to try some of the other appetizers and entrees that caught our eye. It was worth the price in our opinion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice addition to Putnam CountyRosieDined on 9/16/2014Have been here three times. All three times, service was great. Food is really good. On Tuesday they have an unbelievable special deal for dinner for two. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- A little priceyCostconsciouspatronDined on 9/12/2014Atmosphere was good, food was good, prices a little high and seating was odd, hostess seemed to cluster patrons rather than spread them out over the entire room, and the tables are a bit close together so a private conversation was not possible without whispering.I would recommend this to a friend.
- CharOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/5/2014Good drink menu, ok soups and salads. Unfortunately the steak was awful. It was fatty and too chewy. Nice, quiet ambiance. Young, unexperienced servers who do not go above and beyond for diners. Just an ok restaurant.Special Features:
- Nice SurpriseDanCVIPDined on 8/31/2014Char is easily one of the few really good restaurants in this part of New York. The only nit was that from the very beginning it was always hard to find our waiter. Our filet mignon's were perfect as were the appetizers. We will certainly be back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steakhouseglock19Dined on 8/30/2014For years we didn't have a place to get a steak near by, but finally, Char opened up! Great food, great service and a diverse menu. My new favorite place to eat!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good local placedentaldanVIPDined on 8/23/2014Steak was well prepared and tasty. Artichoke dip appetizer was plentiful and had lots of artichoke pieces. Service was attentive and friendly. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!CatzDined on 8/22/2014This was our first time dining at Char Steakhouse, but certainly not our last! We loved it! The restaurant is roomy (meaning you are not bumping elbows with the diners next to you as in other steak houses), the ambience delightful. Service was friendly and professional (we loved our server Jessica!) Both the mushroom bisque and the lobster bisque were delicious. Seasoned perfectly (I would have licked my bowl if I could have). Steaks (filet and strip) were cooked to perfection and so tender and tasty. The house veggies were fresh and yummy too. It was a great dining experience!Special Features:
- Great find !StuffinDined on 8/5/2014My wife and I always come here during the week for dinner. The service is great and the food is delicious. On Tuesdays there is a special dinner menu at a very affordable price that includes a glass of wine. Wonderful !Special Features:
- windowswindowsDined on 8/5/2014windows face west-so one cannot see out since the shades are always drawn -anytime from noon to 8:30-would like to see out sometime-we have eaten here a number of times and have enjoyed the food.
- Thumbs Up!PrincessDined on 7/22/2014My family took me here for my birthday. Food was good, service was outstanding, good noise level. We sat in a booth, which I prefer to a table. I have only one negative about this place, the blinds on the windows next to my booth were a little dusty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 56 reviews are from the Char Steakhouse - Putnam Valley reviews archive.
- A Wonderful MeallovetoeatDined on 7/12/2014The food was excellent. Everything -from the appetizers to the entrees was executed well with generous portions without feeling stuffed.The service was exceptional. Two members of our dinner party have an allergen to gluten, -one in fact has Celiac Disease and any minute amount of gluten can be lethal. The server was attentive to their needs and even alerted the party that certain foods had either flour or another ingredient that could cause a problem. Because of her due diligence, everyone had a relaxing meal without any worry of whether the next bite one takes could land one in the hospital. The meal was wonderful and the evening was a great success and conversation included how good the food was -not whether it was safe to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find!Nymomx4Dined on 7/1/2014Food is excellent; service was good. Tuesday is a "special menu" night, so noise level is pretty high. Will definitely go back, but on a different night.Special Features:
- Outstanding restaurantLourdesIDined on 6/28/2014I had made reservations for 7pm but by 6pm we were starving. Decided to go to dinner then, and arrived at about 6:15 pm. The hostess quickly accommodated us and our margaritas and spinach artichoke appetizer were on the table within 7 minutes. Our server, Nicky, is the best server I have ever had. She knew the menu perfectly, made great recommendations, and made sure we got our drinks and appetizer quickly since we were so hungry. Our steaks were done to perfection. What a great restaurant. Everything was just perfect: the food, the desserts, the drinks, the service, the atmosphere. Definitely a restaurant worth going to. You will absolutely love this place. I know I will be going there at least once a month for years to come.Special Features:
- Graduation DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 6/28/2014I made reservations for an early dinner on Saturday, June 28 immediately following my son's graduation from Yorktown High School. It was just my immediate family and grandparents but we wanted the get together to feel special. I had never been to Char before but had heard through the grapevine that the food was good. I decided to give it a shot and Char did not disappoint! Everything was fantastic and the service was exceptional! The Chartini and watermelon martini were delicious, truffle mac and cheese was fantastic and every steak was cooked to perfection. Our server, made sure that the new graduate felt like a guest of honor. We will definitely be back and have already told people of our great experience. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was excellentWestchesterCarnivoreDined on 6/27/2014We went here for our 22nd anniversary with some friends. Everything was excellent. Service was great and food was outstanding. Bill was very reasonable for the service and food. We will absolutely be coming back.Special Features:
- Delicious Experience!!!MuskaDined on 6/15/2014Char Steakhouse is a fantastic find. Everything we ordered was delicious and had a special flare and touch. A MUST for people who love wonderful food!Special Features:
- Great eveningKapidoloDined on 5/27/2014The food was good, the wait staff efficient and very patient with a group of women who hadn't seen one another in a while. Two of the group had the special for two and were pleased with their choice. The Gorgonzola salad is terrific, and the burger never disappoints.Special Features:
- Great dinner out!Nymomx4Dined on 5/13/2014Excellent food and service. Only down-side was it was a little noisy for our taste. We will definitely go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & DrinksSuzyDined on 5/11/2014We went for a late lunch on Mothers Day, which is one of the busiest time of the year. The food was still delicious and the service was outstanding! And I had one of the best Sangrias ever!Special Features:
- Local TreasureNunuDined on 5/4/2014The food was outstanding and the wait staff some of the best we have ever experienced. Even with two large groups being served the staff was attentive and friendly. Can't wait for the weather to allow us to try the outside dining area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful evening at Char.1CharDined on 5/3/2014My group of 8 spent a wonderful evening at Char. We were celebrating my husbands birthday. The food was delicious. The ambient was just right. The restaurant was clean and smelled delightful. Candles were lit everywhere. We will all definitely return. I highly recommend Char.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodDinnerOutDined on 5/3/2014We were very happy with our meals. We had three appetizers that we shared. We ate the Ahi Tuna scoops, scallops, and crab cakes...we enjoyed all three. My husband and I ordered specials. My husband ordered the shell steak special but when it arrived at the table he had the suspicion that he was given the other steak special. He questioned this when the server brought it to him but the person seemed confident that it was what my husband ordered. My husband proceeded to eat this steak and found it to be delicious but in the end he further questioned the server to determine that it was actually the wrong steak...both were the same price so it really didn't matter. My special was short rib stuffed ravioli, another excellent pick.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.