Char Steakhouse - Putnam Valley
151 Bryant Pond Rd
Putnam Valley, NY 10579Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Char Steakhouse - Putnam Valley
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://charsteakhouse.wix.com/charsteakhouseandbar
- Phone: 8455261200x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday ... 4:00 - 9:00 pm
Friday, Saturday ... 4:00 - 10:00 pm
Sunday ... 3:00 - 9:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Contact us to arrange off-premise catering.
- Entertainment: Check the "Upcoming Events" page of our website for Holiday events and a schedule of performers in the Char Bar.
- Special Events: We participate in Restaurant Week, Best Chefs of the Hudson Valley, and various other events as well as hosting our own Valentine's, Mother's Day, Halloween, and New Year's Eve events. Check our website or join our email list for updates on Char Special Events.
A word from Char Steakhouse - Putnam Valley
Fall is upon us ... Stop in for the finest in Steaks and Seafood during your Fall Foliage Voyage. We are just steps from the Taconic State Parkway at the Bryant Pond Exit.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Char Steakhouse - Putnam Valley reviews from OpenTable diners
37 reviews since July 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (15)neighborhood gem (13)romantic (12)good for groups (11)fit for foodies (10)notable wine list (2)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (1)great for outdoor dining (1)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- much needed restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/26/2014I have been to Char 3 times, each time a wonderful experience. In an area with too many Italian restaurants, it is such a pleasure to have steak and other culinary options at this restaurant. The food was exquisite and the wait staff is very attentive: such an added bonus! I will dine there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consumer advocateMrFoodJudgeDined on 10/18/2014My son ordered a hamburger which he said was hot and tasty. He thought he bun was good, however, he thought the fries were fair. I had one of the fish specials-- Florida Red Snapper with mango rice salsa and mixed vegetables. It was heavenly and enough of a reason for me to return. Also it came out steaming hot. I liked the way the runner ran out our main courses. The noise level is high which is surprising as there is carpeting. They used the fireplace which was a nice touch. The coffee came out cold. Our waitress brought out more coffee. Rick, you need to do something about your coffee which is the only down side of this restaurant (and by the way your other restaurant Rick's seafood). Our waitress Nicky was very personable .Special Features:
- Great food, Great ServiceLourdesIDined on 10/5/2014We were a party of 7 celebrating a birthday. The service and food were excellent. Two of us had been there a few times before and recommended this restaurant to the other five because we have always enjoyed every thing about this place. The rest of the party were already making plans to return for dinner. We all had a great time. The drinks arrived promptly and were excellent. The appetizers were so good. The steaks, ahi tuna, penne pasta with pesto sauce, and the lamb chops were so tasty, tender, and well presented. We will all be going there again soon.Special Features:
- CharOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/4/2014Tables were too low or chairs were too high and the tables were very small. Our waitress, Nicki, was fabulous!!! More expensive than we thought it would be, but overall a good restaurant. Would go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverpricedPriceyDined on 9/26/2014Went for a special occasion with a table of 9. Most food came out cold, a few ordered filet mignon medium and it came out well do e. Very pricey.
- Great special occasionnomnommomDined on 9/19/2014We dined on a Friday night and found it quiet and romantic early in the evening, becoming more robust in the noise level as the time approached 8:00. The service was excellent. We had shrimp as an appetizer and it was delicious. My husband had the filet mignon and said it was delicious, although i noticed it was a little more cooked than the "medium" that he asked for. He ate it all, though, and loved the bearnaise sauce that went with it. I had the salmon entree and it was cooked perfectly and i also loved the honey mustard sauce that went with it. It is a pricey restaurant, and not for kids. We will definitely return to try some of the other appetizers and entrees that caught our eye. It was worth the price in our opinion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice addition to Putnam CountyRosieDined on 9/16/2014Have been here three times. All three times, service was great. Food is really good. On Tuesday they have an unbelievable special deal for dinner for two. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- A little priceyCostconsciouspatronDined on 9/12/2014Atmosphere was good, food was good, prices a little high and seating was odd, hostess seemed to cluster patrons rather than spread them out over the entire room, and the tables are a bit close together so a private conversation was not possible without whispering.I would recommend this to a friend.
- CharOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/5/2014Good drink menu, ok soups and salads. Unfortunately the steak was awful. It was fatty and too chewy. Nice, quiet ambiance. Young, unexperienced servers who do not go above and beyond for diners. Just an ok restaurant.Special Features:
- Nice SurpriseDanCVIPDined on 8/31/2014Char is easily one of the few really good restaurants in this part of New York. The only nit was that from the very beginning it was always hard to find our waiter. Our filet mignon's were perfect as were the appetizers. We will certainly be back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steakhouseglock19Dined on 8/30/2014For years we didn't have a place to get a steak near by, but finally, Char opened up! Great food, great service and a diverse menu. My new favorite place to eat!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good local placedentaldanVIPDined on 8/23/2014Steak was well prepared and tasty. Artichoke dip appetizer was plentiful and had lots of artichoke pieces. Service was attentive and friendly. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!CatzDined on 8/22/2014This was our first time dining at Char Steakhouse, but certainly not our last! We loved it! The restaurant is roomy (meaning you are not bumping elbows with the diners next to you as in other steak houses), the ambience delightful. Service was friendly and professional (we loved our server Jessica!) Both the mushroom bisque and the lobster bisque were delicious. Seasoned perfectly (I would have licked my bowl if I could have). Steaks (filet and strip) were cooked to perfection and so tender and tasty. The house veggies were fresh and yummy too. It was a great dining experience!Special Features:
- Comfortable and tastyGormetGroonyDined on 8/7/2014Char has an open floor plan with a beautiful fireplace for winters and outside dining for summer. The food is wonderful in taste and seasoning and selection. The fish is outstanding and cooked to perfection, the oysters are fresh and plump, the steaks are high qulity and always to the temperature you request. Our waitress and the rest of the staff are friendly, professional and always have smiles to greet you and make your dining a pleasure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find !StuffinDined on 8/5/2014My wife and I always come here during the week for dinner. The service is great and the food is delicious. On Tuesdays there is a special dinner menu at a very affordable price that includes a glass of wine. Wonderful !Special Features:
- windowswindowsDined on 8/5/2014windows face west-so one cannot see out since the shades are always drawn -anytime from noon to 8:30-would like to see out sometime-we have eaten here a number of times and have enjoyed the food.
- Thumbs Up!PrincessDined on 7/22/2014My family took me here for my birthday. Food was good, service was outstanding, good noise level. We sat in a booth, which I prefer to a table. I have only one negative about this place, the blinds on the windows next to my booth were a little dusty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Wonderful MeallovetoeatDined on 7/12/2014The food was excellent. Everything -from the appetizers to the entrees was executed well with generous portions without feeling stuffed.The service was exceptional. Two members of our dinner party have an allergen to gluten, -one in fact has Celiac Disease and any minute amount of gluten can be lethal. The server was attentive to their needs and even alerted the party that certain foods had either flour or another ingredient that could cause a problem. Because of her due diligence, everyone had a relaxing meal without any worry of whether the next bite one takes could land one in the hospital. The meal was wonderful and the evening was a great success and conversation included how good the food was -not whether it was safe to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 54 reviews are from the Char Steakhouse - Putnam Valley reviews archive.
- Great Find!Nymomx4Dined on 7/1/2014Food is excellent; service was good. Tuesday is a "special menu" night, so noise level is pretty high. Will definitely go back, but on a different night.Special Features:
- Outstanding restaurantLourdesIDined on 6/28/2014I had made reservations for 7pm but by 6pm we were starving. Decided to go to dinner then, and arrived at about 6:15 pm. The hostess quickly accommodated us and our margaritas and spinach artichoke appetizer were on the table within 7 minutes. Our server, Nicky, is the best server I have ever had. She knew the menu perfectly, made great recommendations, and made sure we got our drinks and appetizer quickly since we were so hungry. Our steaks were done to perfection. What a great restaurant. Everything was just perfect: the food, the desserts, the drinks, the service, the atmosphere. Definitely a restaurant worth going to. You will absolutely love this place. I know I will be going there at least once a month for years to come.Special Features:
- Graduation DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 6/28/2014I made reservations for an early dinner on Saturday, June 28 immediately following my son's graduation from Yorktown High School. It was just my immediate family and grandparents but we wanted the get together to feel special. I had never been to Char before but had heard through the grapevine that the food was good. I decided to give it a shot and Char did not disappoint! Everything was fantastic and the service was exceptional! The Chartini and watermelon martini were delicious, truffle mac and cheese was fantastic and every steak was cooked to perfection. Our server, made sure that the new graduate felt like a guest of honor. We will definitely be back and have already told people of our great experience. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was excellentWestchesterCarnivoreDined on 6/27/2014We went here for our 22nd anniversary with some friends. Everything was excellent. Service was great and food was outstanding. Bill was very reasonable for the service and food. We will absolutely be coming back.Special Features:
- Delicious Experience!!!MuskaDined on 6/15/2014Char Steakhouse is a fantastic find. Everything we ordered was delicious and had a special flare and touch. A MUST for people who love wonderful food!Special Features:
- Great eveningKapidoloDined on 5/27/2014The food was good, the wait staff efficient and very patient with a group of women who hadn't seen one another in a while. Two of the group had the special for two and were pleased with their choice. The Gorgonzola salad is terrific, and the burger never disappoints.Special Features:
- Great dinner out!Nymomx4Dined on 5/13/2014Excellent food and service. Only down-side was it was a little noisy for our taste. We will definitely go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & DrinksSuzyDined on 5/11/2014We went for a late lunch on Mothers Day, which is one of the busiest time of the year. The food was still delicious and the service was outstanding! And I had one of the best Sangrias ever!Special Features:
- Local TreasureNunuDined on 5/4/2014The food was outstanding and the wait staff some of the best we have ever experienced. Even with two large groups being served the staff was attentive and friendly. Can't wait for the weather to allow us to try the outside dining area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful evening at Char.1CharDined on 5/3/2014My group of 8 spent a wonderful evening at Char. We were celebrating my husbands birthday. The food was delicious. The ambient was just right. The restaurant was clean and smelled delightful. Candles were lit everywhere. We will all definitely return. I highly recommend Char.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodDinnerOutDined on 5/3/2014We were very happy with our meals. We had three appetizers that we shared. We ate the Ahi Tuna scoops, scallops, and crab cakes...we enjoyed all three. My husband and I ordered specials. My husband ordered the shell steak special but when it arrived at the table he had the suspicion that he was given the other steak special. He questioned this when the server brought it to him but the person seemed confident that it was what my husband ordered. My husband proceeded to eat this steak and found it to be delicious but in the end he further questioned the server to determine that it was actually the wrong steak...both were the same price so it really didn't matter. My special was short rib stuffed ravioli, another excellent pick.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!beegeeDined on 4/22/2014Our party of six had a great meal at Char. The food was delicious and the service was excellent! They have a Tuesday night 3 course special that even includes a glass of wine! We definitely will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Came for two birthdays2bigfoodiesDined on 4/19/2014One of my very good friends and I have birthdays one day apart, had a great time. Service and food was very good. Will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food Good ServiceRandyDined on 4/11/2014We had a table by the fireplace which was so very nice. The food was excellent. The lobster bisque was creamy and had plenty of nice tender bits of fresh lobster. Stuffed shrimp had plenty of crab stuffing and the shrimp were large and flavorful. Escargot was perfect with a garlic wine sauce to die for. The aged steak was cooked to perfection and melted in your mouth. Service could not have been better. Our waitress Nickie was so attentive but not intrusive. When we asked for a side dish that wasn't even on the menu there wasn't even a hesitation, the chef made the side dish to perfection. Desserts were just as good. Chocolate Mousse was dense but creamy, very good. The Creme Brulee was very good also. Cost with drinks $150Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable EveningJudyDined on 4/1/2014Went with our friends and enjoyed ourselves. Great Tuesday night deal - food was delicious and the service was excellent. Very friendly atmosphere. We would all definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- we look forward to you servingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/1/2014we look forward to you serving sunday brunch. and opening earlier on Sundays. Love the Tuesday night specials. have come twice and will definitely make it a lot more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went to Char for the firstOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/25/2014We went to Char for the first time to try the Tuesday night special after a later work night. There were four of us. Each one of us was very pleased with their meal. Every part of the meal, from wine to bread all the way to dessert was excellent. Will return for sure!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FOOD OKOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/25/2014We waited almost an hour for a waitress then at least 1/2 hour between courses understaffed. steak was ok ordered red potatoes got less than child size portion, only 3 desserts on menu ran out of 2 of them. bill was wrong sent it back 3times before they got it right. overall Been There Done That WON"T do it again.Special Features:
- Restaurant Week WinnerVinoMDined on 3/22/2014I took my family here for restaurant week and we were all very, very impressed and will be going back. The Asian Calamari was innovative and drop dead delicious, we remarked that we could eat those alone for an entire meal. The NY Strip was cooked perfectly to medium rare with a nice char on the outside. The meat was very high quality and delicious. Desserts were pretty nice, I wasn't blown away by the Grand Marnier Creme Brulee, but I tasted the chocolate mousse and bread pudding (waitress brought out both for my wife as she couldn't make up her mind) and they were very good. The only area I see needing work was the wine list. It's uninspiring and filled with "old standby's". The staff is energetic and decor is cozy and inviting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service ruined otherwise good mealKitchenInsiderDined on 3/22/2014Our first warning sign came when we arrived early in the evening and saw a large number of black clad wait staff in a state of semi-confusion with a mostly empty dining room. The confusion grew as the evening progressed and the dining room filled. Yummy bacon-wrapped stuffed olives came out long after their companion martini. Our waitress never returned to check on the first course dropped by a different server, and which was missing ordered content. Requests for more bread and a drink order placed with dinner went unfulfilled. Water never refilled. However, the starters and main courses were very good, with ample portions and respectable presentation. Pudding-like chocolate mousse and lemony (not "Gran Marnier") crème brulee disappointed.
- We went during restaurantRickDined on 3/21/2014We went during restaurant and perhaps because of that the food was just fair. The French onion soup and Asian calamari were both very good but the steak and penne dish were boring. A steakhouse should have good steaks - this one didn't. However having said all this, happy hour seemed to be great and I would god back for that.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, Not OutstandingkathnyDined on 3/21/2014Went with some friends and the restaurant itself is really nice & great location. Server was attentive at first, but once we ordered our entrees, we only saw her again when she delivered the check. That was a big problem. Food was just ok. I ordered the Angus Steak, med. well because I wanted it with some pink inside, but it was really, really, well done. Two friends ordered mahi mahi & said it was dry. Had creme brulee for dessert. It was cold and didn't have the sugar crust that is traditionally on creme brulee, so basically, it was custard. Loved the harp player. I thought it was a nice touch.Special Features: