Char Steakhouse - Putnam Valley
151 bryant pond road
Putnam Valley, NY 10579Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Char Steakhouse - Putnam Valley
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Phone: 8455261200x
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Char Steakhouse - Putnam Valley
Check us out for Hudson Valley Restaurant Week!Continued
March 10-23, 2014
March 10-23, 2014
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Char Steakhouse - Putnam Valley - Best Restaurants in Putnam Valley ›
Char Steakhouse - Putnam Valley reviews from OpenTable diners
36 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (16)neighborhood gem (14)good for groups (13)fit for foodies (11)romantic (11)great for lunch (5)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (4)kid-friendly (4)great for outdoor dining (4)hot spot (3)great for brunch (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Good local placedentaldanVIPDined on 8/23/2014Steak was well prepared and tasty. Artichoke dip appetizer was plentiful and had lots of artichoke pieces. Service was attentive and friendly. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!CatzDined on 8/22/2014This was our first time dining at Char Steakhouse, but certainly not our last! We loved it! The restaurant is roomy (meaning you are not bumping elbows with the diners next to you as in other steak houses), the ambience delightful. Service was friendly and professional (we loved our server Jessica!) Both the mushroom bisque and the lobster bisque were delicious. Seasoned perfectly (I would have licked my bowl if I could have). Steaks (filet and strip) were cooked to perfection and so tender and tasty. The house veggies were fresh and yummy too. It was a great dining experience!Special Features:
- Comfortable and tastyGormetGroonyDined on 8/7/2014Char has an open floor plan with a beautiful fireplace for winters and outside dining for summer. The food is wonderful in taste and seasoning and selection. The fish is outstanding and cooked to perfection, the oysters are fresh and plump, the steaks are high qulity and always to the temperature you request. Our waitress and the rest of the staff are friendly, professional and always have smiles to greet you and make your dining a pleasure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find !StuffinDined on 8/5/2014My wife and I always come here during the week for dinner. The service is great and the food is delicious. On Tuesdays there is a special dinner menu at a very affordable price that includes a glass of wine. Wonderful !Special Features:
- windowswindowsDined on 8/5/2014windows face west-so one cannot see out since the shades are always drawn -anytime from noon to 8:30-would like to see out sometime-we have eaten here a number of times and have enjoyed the food.
- Thumbs Up!PrincessDined on 7/22/2014My family took me here for my birthday. Food was good, service was outstanding, good noise level. We sat in a booth, which I prefer to a table. I have only one negative about this place, the blinds on the windows next to my booth were a little dusty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Wonderful MeallovetoeatDined on 7/12/2014The food was excellent. Everything -from the appetizers to the entrees was executed well with generous portions without feeling stuffed.The service was exceptional. Two members of our dinner party have an allergen to gluten, -one in fact has Celiac Disease and any minute amount of gluten can be lethal. The server was attentive to their needs and even alerted the party that certain foods had either flour or another ingredient that could cause a problem. Because of her due diligence, everyone had a relaxing meal without any worry of whether the next bite one takes could land one in the hospital. The meal was wonderful and the evening was a great success and conversation included how good the food was -not whether it was safe to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find!Nymomx4Dined on 7/1/2014Food is excellent; service was good. Tuesday is a "special menu" night, so noise level is pretty high. Will definitely go back, but on a different night.Special Features:
- Outstanding restaurantLourdesIDined on 6/28/2014I had made reservations for 7pm but by 6pm we were starving. Decided to go to dinner then, and arrived at about 6:15 pm. The hostess quickly accommodated us and our margaritas and spinach artichoke appetizer were on the table within 7 minutes. Our server, Nicky, is the best server I have ever had. She knew the menu perfectly, made great recommendations, and made sure we got our drinks and appetizer quickly since we were so hungry. Our steaks were done to perfection. What a great restaurant. Everything was just perfect: the food, the desserts, the drinks, the service, the atmosphere. Definitely a restaurant worth going to. You will absolutely love this place. I know I will be going there at least once a month for years to come.Special Features:
- Graduation DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 6/28/2014I made reservations for an early dinner on Saturday, June 28 immediately following my son's graduation from Yorktown High School. It was just my immediate family and grandparents but we wanted the get together to feel special. I had never been to Char before but had heard through the grapevine that the food was good. I decided to give it a shot and Char did not disappoint! Everything was fantastic and the service was exceptional! The Chartini and watermelon martini were delicious, truffle mac and cheese was fantastic and every steak was cooked to perfection. Our server, made sure that the new graduate felt like a guest of honor. We will definitely be back and have already told people of our great experience. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was excellentWestchesterCarnivoreDined on 6/27/2014We went here for our 22nd anniversary with some friends. Everything was excellent. Service was great and food was outstanding. Bill was very reasonable for the service and food. We will absolutely be coming back.Special Features:
- Delicious Experience!!!MuskaDined on 6/15/2014Char Steakhouse is a fantastic find. Everything we ordered was delicious and had a special flare and touch. A MUST for people who love wonderful food!Special Features:
- Great eveningKapidoloDined on 5/27/2014The food was good, the wait staff efficient and very patient with a group of women who hadn't seen one another in a while. Two of the group had the special for two and were pleased with their choice. The Gorgonzola salad is terrific, and the burger never disappoints.Special Features:
- Great dinner out!Nymomx4Dined on 5/13/2014Excellent food and service. Only down-side was it was a little noisy for our taste. We will definitely go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & DrinksSuzyDined on 5/11/2014We went for a late lunch on Mothers Day, which is one of the busiest time of the year. The food was still delicious and the service was outstanding! And I had one of the best Sangrias ever!Special Features:
- Local TreasureNunuDined on 5/4/2014The food was outstanding and the wait staff some of the best we have ever experienced. Even with two large groups being served the staff was attentive and friendly. Can't wait for the weather to allow us to try the outside dining area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful evening at Char.1CharDined on 5/3/2014My group of 8 spent a wonderful evening at Char. We were celebrating my husbands birthday. The food was delicious. The ambient was just right. The restaurant was clean and smelled delightful. Candles were lit everywhere. We will all definitely return. I highly recommend Char.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodDinnerOutDined on 5/3/2014We were very happy with our meals. We had three appetizers that we shared. We ate the Ahi Tuna scoops, scallops, and crab cakes...we enjoyed all three. My husband and I ordered specials. My husband ordered the shell steak special but when it arrived at the table he had the suspicion that he was given the other steak special. He questioned this when the server brought it to him but the person seemed confident that it was what my husband ordered. My husband proceeded to eat this steak and found it to be delicious but in the end he further questioned the server to determine that it was actually the wrong steak...both were the same price so it really didn't matter. My special was short rib stuffed ravioli, another excellent pick.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 43 reviews are from the Char Steakhouse - Putnam Valley reviews archive.
- Wonderful!beegeeDined on 4/22/2014Our party of six had a great meal at Char. The food was delicious and the service was excellent! They have a Tuesday night 3 course special that even includes a glass of wine! We definitely will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Came for two birthdays2bigfoodiesDined on 4/19/2014One of my very good friends and I have birthdays one day apart, had a great time. Service and food was very good. Will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food Good ServiceRandyDined on 4/11/2014We had a table by the fireplace which was so very nice. The food was excellent. The lobster bisque was creamy and had plenty of nice tender bits of fresh lobster. Stuffed shrimp had plenty of crab stuffing and the shrimp were large and flavorful. Escargot was perfect with a garlic wine sauce to die for. The aged steak was cooked to perfection and melted in your mouth. Service could not have been better. Our waitress Nickie was so attentive but not intrusive. When we asked for a side dish that wasn't even on the menu there wasn't even a hesitation, the chef made the side dish to perfection. Desserts were just as good. Chocolate Mousse was dense but creamy, very good. The Creme Brulee was very good also. Cost with drinks $150Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable EveningJudyDined on 4/1/2014Went with our friends and enjoyed ourselves. Great Tuesday night deal - food was delicious and the service was excellent. Very friendly atmosphere. We would all definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- we look forward to you servingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/1/2014we look forward to you serving sunday brunch. and opening earlier on Sundays. Love the Tuesday night specials. have come twice and will definitely make it a lot more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went to Char for the firstOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/25/2014We went to Char for the first time to try the Tuesday night special after a later work night. There were four of us. Each one of us was very pleased with their meal. Every part of the meal, from wine to bread all the way to dessert was excellent. Will return for sure!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FOOD OKOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/25/2014We waited almost an hour for a waitress then at least 1/2 hour between courses understaffed. steak was ok ordered red potatoes got less than child size portion, only 3 desserts on menu ran out of 2 of them. bill was wrong sent it back 3times before they got it right. overall Been There Done That WON"T do it again.Special Features:
- Restaurant Week WinnerVinoMDined on 3/22/2014I took my family here for restaurant week and we were all very, very impressed and will be going back. The Asian Calamari was innovative and drop dead delicious, we remarked that we could eat those alone for an entire meal. The NY Strip was cooked perfectly to medium rare with a nice char on the outside. The meat was very high quality and delicious. Desserts were pretty nice, I wasn't blown away by the Grand Marnier Creme Brulee, but I tasted the chocolate mousse and bread pudding (waitress brought out both for my wife as she couldn't make up her mind) and they were very good. The only area I see needing work was the wine list. It's uninspiring and filled with "old standby's". The staff is energetic and decor is cozy and inviting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service ruined otherwise good mealKitchenInsiderDined on 3/22/2014Our first warning sign came when we arrived early in the evening and saw a large number of black clad wait staff in a state of semi-confusion with a mostly empty dining room. The confusion grew as the evening progressed and the dining room filled. Yummy bacon-wrapped stuffed olives came out long after their companion martini. Our waitress never returned to check on the first course dropped by a different server, and which was missing ordered content. Requests for more bread and a drink order placed with dinner went unfulfilled. Water never refilled. However, the starters and main courses were very good, with ample portions and respectable presentation. Pudding-like chocolate mousse and lemony (not "Gran Marnier") crème brulee disappointed.
- We went during restaurantRickDined on 3/21/2014We went during restaurant and perhaps because of that the food was just fair. The French onion soup and Asian calamari were both very good but the steak and penne dish were boring. A steakhouse should have good steaks - this one didn't. However having said all this, happy hour seemed to be great and I would god back for that.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, Not OutstandingkathnyDined on 3/21/2014Went with some friends and the restaurant itself is really nice & great location. Server was attentive at first, but once we ordered our entrees, we only saw her again when she delivered the check. That was a big problem. Food was just ok. I ordered the Angus Steak, med. well because I wanted it with some pink inside, but it was really, really, well done. Two friends ordered mahi mahi & said it was dry. Had creme brulee for dessert. It was cold and didn't have the sugar crust that is traditionally on creme brulee, so basically, it was custard. Loved the harp player. I thought it was a nice touch.Special Features:
- Enjoyable experienceStuffinDined on 3/18/2014I took my wife here. This was our first time at Char Steakhouse. I was great. We actually caught a special that is only on Tuesdays. Dinner for 2 for $29.95 and it was a great deal included a glass of wine. I can't remember getting a better deal elsewhere. We have recommended this to several of our friends. We will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- poor serviceMargieDined on 3/15/2014The food was very good . We waited 1 hr for our appetizers and almost 45 minuted until we recieved our main couse. We had a party of 4 .Most of the party was annoyed as well as myself. I would try it again maybe one more time because the food was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A decent choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/15/2014This was our first trip to Char's. We went as a party of four for the Restaurant Week specials. Overall it is a good, if not great restaurant. There are better steakhouses in the area, but the entrees were better than average and pricing was in line with what you'd expect from this type of restaurant. The atmosphere is very pleasant and the service was attentive. If you select Char's for dinner you can expect to leave pleased, if not overwhelmed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not happyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/15/2014Beautiful restaurant, nice fireplace, sad but that is the good part. Service left a lot to be desired, we were not in a rush but dinner for 2 should not take 2 hours!! Our waitress rarely stopped by the table to see if we needed anything. The quickest part of the service was paying the check. I was not impressed with the food either, I thought the food was underseasoned and the gravy was excessive. My husbands came with a dipping sauce which they forgot to put on his dish, we had to ask for it after he was half way done, again going back to the lack of service. Sadly I will not recommed this restaurant, I was really hoping to have another steak place to go to besides Augies, but they will get my business next time I want a good steak.
- Great restaurant!SpiderMan2014Dined on 3/8/2014This is an awesome restaurant! My husband had the 12 it NY strip and I had Cajun grilled mahi-mahi. Both were delicious! The steak was Cooked perfect and melted in his mouth. The mahi-mahi was made with mango pineapple salsa and it was perfect too. We completed our meal with molten lava cake which was soon yummy! We really enjoyed our dinner and plan to go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Suprise findsegalfamDined on 3/8/2014Tried this restaurant because an ad in the local paper intrigued me. I was delighted to find a very relaxed restaurant - jean very okay - that still delivered prompt and professional service and very good food. The steaks were terrific (filet mignon for my husband, ribeye for me), the soups were really, really good, and we both liked how you could customize the meal by choosing sides and sauce. I think our server was Lea, and she was attentive and charming but didn't hover. Too bad it was so pricy - the food was worth it, but we'll only be back every third month or so because of the price.Special Features:
- Excellent Surpriseview3819Dined on 3/4/2014My husband and I decided to give this restaurant a try during the week and what an excellent surprise it is. I have recommended it to as many people as I can within my work day and of course we will be returning. Our server was attentive and knowledgeable; obviously well experienced. If you are looking to try someplace new I would highly suggest Char.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- happy to find good food near homeannmarieDined on 1/4/2014Prices were very fair for a finer dining experience. quiet resturaunt. staff was very attentive but gave time when it was asked for. birthday party, famlily of 5 and a first date were all around us. this resturaunt can accomodate many situations, family styles. the appetizer list was extensive, many soups, many salads, choices between 6 or 7 cold and 6 or 7 hot appetizers as well. many steak houses just have steak! I liked this option.Special Features:
- The food was very good butGerryDined on 12/21/2013The food was very good but it took a while to get there. We had to wait what seemed like a long time between the appetizer and the entrée. The filet mignon was done just right as was the tuna steak. When we walked in, a woman was playing a harp and it was just the right touch. A little later, one of the local singers began crooning the 50's and 60's songs and he kept the volume just right- we could enjoy him and still talk without shouting. I'd go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sslid portion was very good,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/21/2013Sslid portion was very good, side dishes were good sized portions as well, but meat portions were quite small but the taste was very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 4 friends choose Char House4friendsDined on 12/6/2013We had always been fans of Rick's Seafood, & were looking fir a special spot for our holiday gathering. We chose the Char House and were not disappointed. One small negative, on a Friday night, was a noisy bar. Otherwise a fantastic experience of wine, food and ambience. The roaring fire nearby was a beautiful touch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.