CHAR Steak and Lounge
550 East Avenue
Rochester, NY 14607Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
CHAR Steak and Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.charsteakandlounge.com/
- Phone: 5852417100
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 6:00am - 10:00am, Saturday & Sunday: 7:00am - 11:00am; Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steakhouse, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jeremy Nucelli
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Hattie Harris Room- this 1st floor room, adjacent to the lobby, features sit-down dining space for 80 guests or a cocktail party for 125. Conference Room- connected to the a la carte dining area, this space comfortably seats 18 guests with full a.v. capability. Board Room- perfect for an off-site retreat, this 2nd floor room is fully-serviced by Char to accomodate any working lunch or dinner. 14 ppl max. 9th floor "City View"- this glass enclosed, private dining room can accomodate up to 40 people with a focused menu for a sit-down event, or up to 65 people for a cocktail party. With stunning views of Rochester, the City View room will leave a unique impression on all of your guests.
- Private Party Contact: Amanda Koojimans (Coy-mans) 5854615010x1103
- Entertainment: Staying true to the traditions and musical history of the Strathallan, Char Steak and Lounge will, once again, be featuring local jazz artists on Thursday and Saturday nights beginning in January 2013. View our webpage at www.charsteakandlounge.com to find upcoming schedules.
A word from CHAR Steak and Lounge
Nestled in the heart of the Neighborhood Of The Arts, Char Steak & Lounge is located in the newly renovated Strathallan, A DoubleTree by Hilton. A blend of quintessential steakhouse with an opulent, hip ambiance celebrating local artists, Char has something for everyone. With refined and approachable service, the menus offer breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Featuring our wood-fired grilled steaks to homemade pastas, fresh fish, and masterfully in-house crafted desserts.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
CHAR Steak and Lounge - Best Restaurants in Rochester ›
CHAR Steak and Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
64 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (45)fit for foodies (32)romantic (28)great for outdoor dining (25)vibrant bar scene (20)neighborhood gem (17)notable wine list (16)hot spot (14)good for groups (12)great for lunch (6)late-night find (6)scenic view (6)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- DeliciousLovetoeatDined on 8/17/2014Everything from the decor to the food and service were impeccable. The only reason I am giving 4 starts is because you will leave with much less money than you came in with. Although I think for the most part the value is there- somethings are overpriced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yet another memorable experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/14/2014This was our wedding anniversary and the service and food were exceptional. My wife loves the tartare, and my entre of seafood in broth over squid ink linguini was not only unusual but was extraordinarily tasty and flavorful. My niece even loved her sirloin burger which is HUGE! You cannot go wrong with any risotto they make (sweet corn risotto this evening) and parmesan fries as side dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sixmrsDined on 8/11/2014Celebrated my 23rd wedding anniversary here and the food was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food, great service, fair $SiFoodDined on 8/2/2014Amazing appetizers: Beef Tartar, clams, oysters, truffle truffle everywhere! Steaks are as good as it gets. Can't comment on dessert as we are always so full and have no room, but I'm sure it's great too.Special Features:
- Great first impressiondazreviewsDined on 8/2/2014Had our anniversary dinner at Char. Excellent food, cocktails, service and atmosphere! Would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The table we sat atchampDined on 8/1/2014Everything buddy was excellent from your hostess to the bartender to the waiter just excellent. The only discomfort was the table was not level and it was just tough to sit without it bouncingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great service!LovetoeatVIPDined on 7/31/2014We love Char.....service is top notch and all of the food always exceeds expectations. We eat in restaurants in many cities and travel to NYC frequently. Char is among our top favorite restaurants of all the places we go.Special Features:
- StaffOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014Great food very Good service. I will be back for another stay and another dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overratedgrumpyDined on 7/19/2014While the food was excellent, the pricing for food and wine were much to high for this area. Could go to Mario's and get something almost as delicious for far less. Layout is poor. We sat next to the door to the outside that some of the Feb reviewers complained about and could see why. One whole wall has a table of wine bottles that looks like their inventory. Could use that space for table and not have to sit near outside doors.Special Features:
- DisappointedSearchingforyummiesDined on 7/18/2014Our first meal here was delicious, the second was disappointing in every way... Service was very slow and inattentive. We came here for the steak, mine was overdone, in a steakhouse called CHAR... Mac and cheese was barely warm so we were glad the waiter forgot to bring the other order as we had originally asked for two... Not even close to worth the amount of money we spent there... We will not be backSpecial Features:
- Great dinnerMlarosa25Dined on 7/15/2014Reservations were easy to make and our dinner was great! Service from Mark was perfect and his attention to our table was great. I'll be going back for sureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LeeboDined on 7/5/2014Had heard very complimentary things about this restaurant. Menus ok but limited meat entrees and was shocked at the size and price of the NY strip (18 oz for $49.00) My spouse selected the rack of lamb--first one came out almost raw with oddles of fat and gristle. Second one was much better but a little undercooked. My meal was good but not great. Wine list very fair and expansive (not pricey). Dessert was comped due to the problem with the rack of lamb(a nice gesture). Will think twice about a return visit.Special Features:
- Almost thereMissingNewMexicoDined on 6/30/2014Excellent service. Simone's wine list is fantastic. The food is excellent however they tend to cover cook the burger. It's a shame that it looks like and feels like the hotel restaurant that it is. The food and service are so much better than your typical hotel experience.Special Features:
- DelightfulARUGGDined on 6/29/2014Went to Char for my birthday, what a wonderful experience! Service was elegant but have time and space. Food was one of a kind and tasty. Great wine selection as well as dessert options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What happened?usedtolikeitDined on 6/27/2014We have been at CHAR before but for some reason at a large dinner party I just hosted the menu was much more limited, and the quality of the food was marginal at best. The service was awkward and we had to ask for items that should have come with our dinner a number of times. If Char could return to the way it used to be it would be great, but I am disappointed in the change.
- Great place for a romantic eventromanceDined on 6/16/2014We went there to celebrate our 30th anniversary. Great atmosphere and the food was spectacularSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/14/2014This was my ninth or tenth visit to Char. It has become my favorite in Rochester as well as my granddaughters favorite restaurant. She tells me that it makes her happy to think we are having dinner there! The steaks are always outstanding and my daughter had the veal dish which was incredible. Everyone commented positive about their meal including the chilled pea soup.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Celebration DinnerPALyDined on 6/14/2014A friend mention this place, looked up the menu online and thought it would be a good place to try. the restaurant itself has a large patio with a large open fire (which was appropriate for a 70 F evening). We choose to sit inside next to a window and enjoy the scenery from there. Everything is very clean and new, fairly recently remodeled and renamed. We tend to eat early (about 6:00) and service was very attentive but not at all overbearing. my wife had the lamb - excellent and I had the 10 oz sirloin steak. Both were delicious. With food, tips, wine it came to about $65 a person, considering everything, well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good eats.goodeatsDined on 6/13/2014The stuffed calamari was terrific. The entrees were excellent as well. The risotto was a bit chewy but that was the only food we didn't love.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NosiejoanieDined on 5/31/2014The only negative comment I have is that the hostess was dressed as though she was going somewhere very casual, not appropriately dressed for such an upscale restaurant. Shorts, tshirt (even though it had sparkly sleeves) and flats should not be an acceptable uniform for a position such as the first person to greet diners to this wonderful place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey, but largely worth it.live2eatDined on 5/31/2014The atmosphere was fun, the service was good and the food was just short of excellent. The portions on the appetizers could have been a bit bigger, but both were very good. I would recommend the Chocolate dessert with the bacon flavored ice cream (good on it's own, but really delicious when taken in the same mouthful as the chocolate).Special Features:
- CHAR-ific experience!OB33Dined on 5/20/2014I was referred to Char as I was considering where to take my sales management team for our Q1 celebration dinner. CHAR did not disappoint! As my team told me, it was one of THE BEST STEAKS they had ever eaten! The service was attentive but over-bearing and the ambiance and decor were very, very nice. A great time was had by all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine dining in RochesterOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/17/2014First time at Char since the renovation. Completely different restaurant, so much nicer from ambiance to food! Elegant modern look and outstanding food fit for any foodie!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional foodespritDined on 5/16/2014Best in Rochester, and I've tried them all. CHAR is my go to spot for a romantic evening, or that special occasion when price is no object, and the atmosphere is as important as the quality of the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best Steak!Foodpornking2014Dined on 5/15/2014I took my Wife for her birthday and I couldn't have been more impressed! The Restaurant decor is beautiful, the service was outstanding. Mark the waiter was extremely friendly. I ordered the Delmonico with the horseradish sauce which in my opinion is the best steak I ever had! My wife ordered to 5 oz filet Mignon, we also ordered a side of macaroni and cheese, the peas with risotto and 3 prawns on the side. Everything was very good! For dessert we shared an order of coffee creme brûlée. We were not disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First TimeGreatDined on 5/10/2014I sent for my first time on Saturday. There was a mistake with our time and the staff was very professional and worked with us. We sat outside by a wonderful fire with a cocktail and then had a great meal. I would recommend everyone try it.Special Features:
- Great experienceRochesterdiningsceneDined on 5/3/2014Everything went well from the service to the food. Depending on what you order it can get very pricey. Drinks are always pricey there. Great bar scene ..young and hip. Servers were very attentive and knowledgable .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 143 reviews are from the CHAR Steak and Lounge reviews archive.
- Our new favorite restaurantBessDined on 4/26/2014I was given a gift certificate for CHAR, and my husband and I celebrate our anniversary with dinner. We were delighted with the food, our waiter, and overal experience. The food was delicious and our waiter was excellent. We will definitely be returning to CHAR!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I wood highly recommendCharleysluvitDined on 4/20/2014Everything was abovey expectations ! The buffet had everything , the deserts were also greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic dining experienceMayaVIPDined on 3/22/2014This was one of the best dinners my husband and I have had in Rochester in a while. The food was amazing, and the service was impeccable. I only wish the food cost less so we could justify going to char weekly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerMaggie92Dined on 3/15/2014Reservation was at 8:30pm on Sat. before St. Patrick's Day. Water was poured but server did not come to table for almost 15 minutes while other diners who sat down after us were taken care of. Once server appeared with apologies, rest of service was very good. Oysters and appetizer special of papperdalle pasta with mushroom ragu were exceptional. Filet, wild mushroom risotto and braised kale were all very good. Date and mascarpone torte with sweet potato ice cream was fabulous. Though there was a good deal of noise and activity associated with St. Patrick's Day revelers at the bar, we enjoyed a lovely anniversary dinner. Would recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Parade dayOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/15/2014Even on the st patrick's parade day, service was wonderful, prompt, friendly, courteous... Everyone in our group had a delicious entree. We'll definitely return!!Special Features:
- Dinner meetingScottDined on 3/10/2014Wonderful business dinner experience with our customers and vendor present. Great food especially the steaks and good service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak Lovers DelightKellyDined on 3/8/2014Everyone in our party had Filet and they were all perfectly done and delicious! There are several sauces to choose from - the smoky blue cheese and bacon butter melted over the steak was fantastic! The sides are ala carte, but family style so there is more than enogh for 2 in a portion. We had the potato and celery root gratin which was very good. The desserts are made inhouse and there are several to choose from - I highly recommend the spiced creme brulee.Special Features:
- Great meal at Char!lkflkfVIPDined on 3/8/2014My group of 4 thoroughly enjoyed our dinner at Char. The bar was really loud and energetic which is why we were glad we were put off to the side in another room which was much quieter. It is a little awkward that there really is no separation between the restaurant and the hotel. If you enjoy pickle martinis ask for one here even though it is not on the menu, they are fantastic. We started with oysters which everyone loved, beet salad (could be skipped, was really small and nothing special) but all of us had filets that were delicious especially with the horseradish mustard sauce. Three sides of kale, macaroni & cheese, spaghetti squash were enough to share between 4 people and were really good! Dessert was 2 plates - 3 scoops of ice cream!Special Features:
- Worth the tripLuvFromTorontoDined on 3/8/2014We have been to Char a few times, we drove from Toronto to visit the Museum of Play. We make Char a must go spot every time. The beef tartare is the best I've had in North America. Keep up the good work! We had 6 kids and they were able to accomdate us in the party room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/8/2014great food and service. We would have liked to sit in the main dining room instead of a room of to the side but everything was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great vibeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/1/2014Great restaurant/ bar vibe. I was pleasantly surprised to find this little gem of a restaurant, while staying in the trendy, upscale Strath Allen Hotel! I will revisit when in Rochester again!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable Wedding AnniversaryBaconballsDined on 2/28/2014Outstanding beef, cooked to perfection, as ordered. Good affordable wines, by the glass. Staff was friendly, knowledgeable, accommodating and provided good service. The ambience and pacing of service led to a true dining experience. We would highly recommend this restaurant to our friends and plan to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Char does not disappointAnonDined on 2/28/2014No complaints at all. Every appetizer, entree, side, and dessert were outstanding. The wood burning grill provides the differentiator when it comes to flavor and getting a unique steak experience. Our server was enthusiastic and had the perfect amount and timing of visits. Methodical table clearing by the staff, but not obtrusive at all. Great atmosphere and the bar is great for before and/or after dinner drinks. 9.5/10Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.