2 South Water Street
Greenwich, CT 06830Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://charct.com/
- Phone: (203) 900-1100
- Hours of Operation:
Friday & Saturday 5pm-11pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Mediterranean, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: David Snyder
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, High Tea, Late Night, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: seat down meals
A word from Char Restaurant
Now Open! Check out our menu on our website and come visit us soon!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Char Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Greenwich ›
Char Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
88 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (53)neighborhood gem (44)good for groups (33)special occasion (25)romantic (20)hot spot (17)notable wine list (14)vibrant bar scene (11)great for lunch (9)great for brunch (3)late-night find (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- YummyfoodluvrrrDined on 11/19/2014Came here to celebrate my sisters birthday with our family. Everything was very yummy!! The service was a little slow as our wait staff was in training but we didn't mind with all the good apps we got and wine! We Will be going back...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poorly managed with mediocre foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/18/2014Went here with my GF on a Tuesday. Cocktails are a waste of calories and money, food relies on syrups and salts to mask lack of attention/technique, service is bad- but friendly. Worst part of this place was that it was freezing cold (and I run hot). Also, we had a wobbly table that was never fixed after we pointed it out. Won't be back.
- Delicious!foodiefanDined on 11/15/2014We had a great dinner here on a Saturday night. Veal meatball appetizer was fantastic. Jambalaya entree was well seasoned and was a rather large portion. The cod with brussel sprout risotto had great flavors as well. And let's not forget the french toast bread pudding, out of this world!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Char is my new favorite restaurant in Greenwich,CTRoxyVIPDined on 11/14/2014I had received many rave reviews from various friends about this restaurant and decided to give it a try. They were correct the food was delicious and prices very affordable especially for this area. I went for lunch and it was so good I decided to go back for dinner with my husband and another couple two days later. They all had the same reaction as I did. Food was incredible. Loved the Tuscan soup ( changes daily "soup of the moment") and the kale salad. It has a very nice ambiance with fireplaces blazing and noise level was not as bad as most restaurants especially when the dining area is full of patrons. Definitely will go back again and again. Be sure to make an Open Table reservation. Added feature is private parking lot although was it quite full on a Friday evening because of a very large private party in separate room downstairs from main dining room. Enjoy and Bon Appetite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodBarbaraDined on 11/12/2014We went for restaurant week and were pleasantly surprised by the excellent food. Will definitely return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/8/2014We've eaten there twice recently, and both times the food and service were excellent.Special Features:
- We will return!CTGalVIPDined on 11/8/2014Everyone in our party expressed the food was delicious. Two of us ordered the venison, one of their specials for the night. Very tasty but just a tad too salty. Sides were a perfect compliment. Everything else was very satisfying and nicely presented. Menu offers basic choices and some unexpected and creative dishes. Service was excellent. Fireplace nice compliment to an already fancy-rustic room. We had a great experience at Char.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls nightGWhizDined on 11/6/2014Once again, CHAR has been fantastic. Attentive,kind and friendly service from the moment you step inside the door. The rustic and cozy large dining room has a lovely fireplace in the center of it all. On our chilly, rainy night we requested a table by the fireplace. It was perfect! We dined during restaurant week, two had prix fix and the third had a la carte. The grilled octopus starter was perfection. Lamb bolognese is decadent, topped with goat cheese and gremolata. For dessert, s'mores lava cake and cappuccino. I highly recommend this for any occasion. Parking on site(free)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experiencesdg13Dined on 11/5/2014Went here for my husbands birthday on a weeknight. Everything was delicious and the service was great. Decor is really cool with reclaimed wood and rustic/modern accents.Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/1/2014This is our 3rd visit to Char and we love it. Great food and you cannot beat their chartini! On a Saturday the service can be a bit spotty as it gets so busy but as long as you are not in a rush it's fine. The grilled octopus and chicken dumplings to start are amazing and the truffle fries are worth ordering with your main meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good dinner but too loud.JaybeVIPDined on 11/1/2014A group of 7 of us but had dinner at Char. It was my first time there. The food was surprisingly good. The restaurant design was also very pleasing. The two major negatives was the noise level. We literally could not have a conversation at the table. The other negative was the service. I know it's hard finding good people. But our waiter was not around, never checked on us and forgot one of our dinners. So the dinners came out and one was just never put in to the kitchen. It eventually came but with no apology or a free dessert nothing. That in my opinion is bad business.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New local but noisyCasualdiner123Dined on 11/1/2014So happy to be at a new local spot and it's hip with good food but I recommend going during the week. Very loud on a Saturday night. But we were seated on time despite the crowds.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CharGeorge1Dined on 10/29/2014Nice neighborhood bar/restaurant. Very good food and attentive staff. Food was served fairly quickly and we were left to have an enjoyable chat. Well worth the visit.Special Features:
- amazing findWellingtonDined on 10/26/2014I've been hearing so many good things about this restaurant. And I'm so glad I finally made the trip. What a wonderful experience. Make sure when you go you order the octopus, th hanger steak and the bread pudding!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Char Did not DissappointLuv2dineDined on 10/26/2014Char is almost almost in N.Y., really far down. The ambiance is nice, love the decor. The service was excellent as was my cocktail. No skimping on the alcohol here. Garlic bread toast to start, nice house touch. Crispy shrimp was good. I had the rice with shrimp and chicken, was very good, large portion. The pear salad is excellent as well as the grilled octopus. My husband was not thrilled with his hanger steak, I had a bite and liked it! Looks like this would be a fun place for a party.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistantly delicious.GmariDined on 10/25/2014Char continues to be our new favorite restaurant in Greenwich. It is loud but really, what restaurant in town short of Thomas Henkleman isn't? I love the history of this restaurateur family. It is easy to see why it has become successful. Start with a cocktail or end your evening with a nightcap in the lovely bar. Char simply offers the whole package.Special Features:
- FingertipsFingertipsDined on 10/25/2014Nice dining experience . Perfect place for Dinner with friends or casual night outSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice!leadfootgDined on 10/23/2014sat in front of the fire, food and service were great!!!Special Features:
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/18/2014Great food and impressive wine list. Not a quiet place so not a place for much conversation.Special Features:
- One of my favorites!AdriDined on 10/17/2014It is my fourth time there and always is a pleasure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodJimCVIPDined on 10/16/2014We ate at Char for the first time on Thursday night. The staff was excellent attentive but not intrusive, we were in no rush just talking and enjoying the evening, the waiter was great bringing our wine and not husling us through the meal. Also these ate waiters, who are professional with personality and they add to the dining experience. The food was 5 star. Grilled Octopus the best I have had, the Jambalaya was straight out of New Orleans pure Cajun. A great use of spice to serve up that bite you want without overpowering the food. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/11/2014We had a great dinner at Char. Excellent food and good service.Special Features:
- Amazing food!KatieRoseDined on 10/10/2014I am an extremely picky eater, but I can honestly say the food was absolutely delicious! We tried many dishes when were were there Friday, including things that I DO NOT like (kale or brussel sprouts for example) - one of my favorite dishes I tried turned out to be the Tuscan Kale-Brussel Sprout Salad. Everything was cooked to perfection and the amount of pride that went into each dish was obvious. The decor is very relaxing, warm and inviting. We're going back tomorrow!Special Features:
- GreatAntoniaDined on 10/9/2014Great food /service and wonderful ambience but where is everyone?! Please come and make this restaurant happen! U r missing out! Forget Tarry Lodge! This place is a block away and far superior tonTarry Lodge in every aspect...design/decode/new/fresh/ superior menu and food...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ALWAYS GREAT !eemcDined on 9/29/2014Dinner is always consistent. The food is amazing. Even though i came in late on a Monday night, the staff was very professional and attentive.Special Features:
- All meals delicious!PatDDined on 9/20/2014Despite reading reviews about specific menu items, we found all items delicious. Would highly recommend a Tasting of Chocolate!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and fun atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/19/2014Went with my husband last weekend. We loved the grilled octopus (perfect texture and smokiness from the grill) and the tuna tartar. The cucumber-watermelon salad was also great. I'm a huge cocktail snob, and while the drinks here were good, they still left a little to be desired in terms of complexity. However, they are definitely above par compared to most restaurants. Overall, I look forward to coming back, especially once the weather turns colder and the fire place is in use.Special Features:
- Potential for GreatnessmorefoodplzDined on 9/19/2014I was expecting Char to be much tastier. We started with the octopus which was cooked perfectly but not extremely flavorful. Our second dish was the duck confit (a special that night) that was the exact opposite. The flavors were delicious but the duck itself was extremely fatty and did not appear to be a true "confit." The asian ribs followed and were pretty fatty also. There was only about 2 tbsps of sauce served with them, which definitely wasn't enough for 3 ribs. We decided to go straight to dessert from there since we hadn't been wow-ed by anything. I got the french toast bread pudding which was fantastic and my boyfriend got the sundae which was also wonderful! It was also very loud in there and the service was extremely slow.Special Features:
- One block away in GreenwichBadnewsVIPDined on 9/19/2014One block over the river from Port Chester is Char, a great pre-theater stop for those going to the Capitol for a show. Fantastic food, attentive service, and a great ambiance make this our go-to spot pre-Capitol.Special Features:
- Amazing!!!RealReviewDined on 9/16/2014This would be our second time here. I am not a restaurant snob, but I have high standards when it comes to atmosphere, food quality, presentation and service. All at Char was above par. From the moment you walk in, you can see how much time and effort was put into the design of the renovation. It is warm, modern and very comfortable. Beautiful fireplace in the main dining room, separate bar area that does not overflow or get loud into the dining area. Now the food...not to get into our entire meals, but the food is awesome. So fresh, presentation excellent, menu selections I usually have a hard time because most restaurants don't give a great variety, but Char has something wonderful for everyone's pallet!!! Highly recommend.Special Features:
- FVdWVIPDined on 9/15/2014If this restaurant is not going to survive, it will be based on service. For the second time we ended up with a strangely acting waiter, who was coughing over our table, seemingly not interested in doing his job and multiple times pouring water and ice in and outside the glasses and then reacting irritated he had to clean it up!? For the money this was a very bad experience!
- Char- a neighborhood gemJadeVIPDined on 9/13/2014We enjoyed our dinner on Saturday 9/13 . There was four of us and we're very pleased with our dinner. George a great waiter and his recommendations were on target... Ellio stopped by and asked how we liked our meal and we assured hi that we were very pleased -. My husband enjoyed jambalaya - I had salmon and my cousins had black bass and jambalaya .. Dessert was to die for the French toast bread pudding was delicious... I highly recommend this restaurant to my friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad we cametymelyronVIPDined on 9/6/2014Have wanted to eat here for a while. Good selection of cocktails, lots of menu choices. We enjoyed our appetizers of the watermelon and cucumber salad and the gnocchi, and entrees of hangar steak with a great sauce (with a nice char on the outside) and just ok fries, and the swordfish, very moist and tasty. French toast bread pudding I bit dry for dessert. We'll return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NYRHVIPDined on 9/5/2014Saltiest meal I've ever had. Every dish, including a green salad, was encrusted in salt.
- GETTING BETTERchezdavidDined on 8/30/2014Food preparation is top notch with the only exception being a bit too free with the salt. Several unique seafood preparations were done expertly and the steak was spot on! The atmosphere was indeed "woodsy" with the only drawback being the window in the rear of the dining room was open to the noisy street traffic which we could do without. An enjoyable experience however and look forward to a return visit!Special Features:
- ImpressiveXteenDined on 8/30/2014went for my husband's birthday and I wasn't quite sure if we would like it. we wound up getting the tuna tartare.. amazingly fresh and vibrant taste; the octopus that was the most tender I've ever had grilled to perfection and the pear salad that was dressed perfectly. had the tile fish special another had the hanger steak with the best frites we've ever had.. we didn't leave a one. someone ordered the taglaitelle with 3 kinds of mushrooms including a "lobster" mushroom the taste was wonderful. Dessert didn't miss either... the bread pudding t was excellent as was their version of tiramisu and the ballpark sundae with malt vanilla ice cream, chocolate syrup and cracker jack was just perfect. We had a wonderful evening here.Special Features:
- char reviewlocaldatenightDined on 8/22/2014Waited over 30 minutes for apps. Fried nocchi was way too salty. I had shrimp - yum but mussels were hard to find. Hubby had tuna, sushi grade and he loved it. Espresso affogatto for dessert, good but again too salty.Special Features:
- great foodpcfoodieDined on 8/21/2014Yet another gem for port chester/Greenwich dining. People were friendly, service was exceptional. Chef did an amazing job. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Char is greatRonniTVIPDined on 8/20/2014Very creative menu with well prepared food. Special requests are gladly accommodated. Interior is warm and modern. Ample parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but ExpensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/6/2014Food, service and ambiance all very good and it was quiet, as only a few tables in this large establishment were taken. This restaurant is within walking distance of home. If prices were more reasonable we would go there all the time. My husband ordered a special which turned out to be substantially more than menu items. A word to the wise: always ask special prices. Better yet, wait staff should give them without being asked. This location has had many incarnations and we miss the early ones which had basic food and good values.