2 South Water Street
Greenwich, CT 06830Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://charct.com/
- Phone: 2039001100x
- Hours of Operation:
Friday & Saturday 5pm-11pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Mediterranean, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: David Snyder
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, High Tea, Late Night, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: seat down meals
A word from Char Restaurant
Now Open! Check out our menu on our website and come visit us soon!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Char Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
67 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (36)fit for foodies (34)good for groups (25)special occasion (20)romantic (12)vibrant bar scene (9)hot spot (8)notable wine list (6)great for lunch (6)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Potential for GreatnessmorefoodplzDined on 9/19/2014I was expecting Char to be much tastier. We started with the octopus which was cooked perfectly but not extremely flavorful. Our second dish was the duck confit (a special that night) that was the exact opposite. The flavors were delicious but the duck itself was extremely fatty and did not appear to be a true "confit." The asian ribs followed and were pretty fatty also. There was only about 2 tbsps of sauce served with them, which definitely wasn't enough for 3 ribs. We decided to go straight to dessert from there since we hadn't been wow-ed by anything. I got the french toast bread pudding which was fantastic and my boyfriend got the sundae which was also wonderful! It was also very loud in there and the service was extremely slow.Special Features:
- Amazing!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/16/2014This would be our second time here. I am not a restaurant snob, but I have high standards when it comes to atmosphere, food quality, presentation and service. All at Char was above par. From the moment you walk in, you can see how much time and effort was put into the design of the renovation. It is warm, modern and very comfortable. Beautiful fireplace in the main dining room, separate bar area that does not overflow or get loud into the dining area. Now the food...not to get into our entire meals, but the food is awesome. So fresh, presentation excellent, menu selections I usually have a hard time because most restaurants don't give a great variety, but Char has something wonderful for everyone's pallet!!! Highly recommend.Special Features:
- FVdWDined on 9/15/2014If this restaurant is not going to survive, it will be based on service. For the second time we ended up with a strangely acting waiter, who was coughing over our table, seemingly not interested in doing his job and multiple times pouring water and ice in and outside the glasses and then reacting irritated he had to clean it up!? For the money this was a very bad experience!
- Char- a neighborhood gemJadeVIPDined on 9/13/2014We enjoyed our dinner on Saturday 9/13 . There was four of us and we're very pleased with our dinner. George a great waiter and his recommendations were on target... Ellio stopped by and asked how we liked our meal and we assured hi that we were very pleased -. My husband enjoyed jambalaya - I had salmon and my cousins had black bass and jambalaya .. Dessert was to die for the French toast bread pudding was delicious... I highly recommend this restaurant to my friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad we cametymelyronVIPDined on 9/6/2014Have wanted to eat here for a while. Good selection of cocktails, lots of menu choices. We enjoyed our appetizers of the watermelon and cucumber salad and the gnocchi, and entrees of hangar steak with a great sauce (with a nice char on the outside) and just ok fries, and the swordfish, very moist and tasty. French toast bread pudding I bit dry for dessert. We'll return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NYRHVIPDined on 9/5/2014Saltiest meal I've ever had. Every dish, including a green salad, was encrusted in salt.
- GETTING BETTERchezdavidDined on 8/30/2014Food preparation is top notch with the only exception being a bit too free with the salt. Several unique seafood preparations were done expertly and the steak was spot on! The atmosphere was indeed "woodsy" with the only drawback being the window in the rear of the dining room was open to the noisy street traffic which we could do without. An enjoyable experience however and look forward to a return visit!Special Features:
- ImpressiveXteenDined on 8/30/2014went for my husband's birthday and I wasn't quite sure if we would like it. we wound up getting the tuna tartare.. amazingly fresh and vibrant taste; the octopus that was the most tender I've ever had grilled to perfection and the pear salad that was dressed perfectly. had the tile fish special another had the hanger steak with the best frites we've ever had.. we didn't leave a one. someone ordered the taglaitelle with 3 kinds of mushrooms including a "lobster" mushroom the taste was wonderful. Dessert didn't miss either... the bread pudding t was excellent as was their version of tiramisu and the ballpark sundae with malt vanilla ice cream, chocolate syrup and cracker jack was just perfect. We had a wonderful evening here.Special Features:
- char reviewlocaldatenightDined on 8/22/2014Waited over 30 minutes for apps. Fried nocchi was way too salty. I had shrimp - yum but mussels were hard to find. Hubby had tuna, sushi grade and he loved it. Espresso affogatto for dessert, good but again too salty.Special Features:
- great foodpcfoodieDined on 8/21/2014Yet another gem for port chester/Greenwich dining. People were friendly, service was exceptional. Chef did an amazing job. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Char is greatRonniTVIPDined on 8/20/2014Very creative menu with well prepared food. Special requests are gladly accommodated. Interior is warm and modern. Ample parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but ExpensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/6/2014Food, service and ambiance all very good and it was quiet, as only a few tables in this large establishment were taken. This restaurant is within walking distance of home. If prices were more reasonable we would go there all the time. My husband ordered a special which turned out to be substantially more than menu items. A word to the wise: always ask special prices. Better yet, wait staff should give them without being asked. This location has had many incarnations and we miss the early ones which had basic food and good values.
- LOVE this placeFoodieDined on 7/31/2014I eat here all the time and LOVE it. try the grilled octopus to start and then the half chicken. portions are just right. very warm and adult sexy restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'll go again.VA2GetawayVIPDined on 7/29/2014I've been passing by wondering about Char, then saw it written up. The décor is warm, sophisticated with an reclaimed barn wood feeling. A beautiful fireplace that probably makes it a great winter spot. My swordfish was cooked perfectly. They wouldn't change the salad it was being served with for something more diet-friendly, but they served the salad deconstructed which helped. I would try it again. The private room in the back of the restaurant looked like a great venue and parking lot is large and easy.Special Features:
- Very GoodWorthaTry22Dined on 7/28/2014Service was great, as they were very accommodating with a few special requests of mine. Garlic shrimp was incredible, the rest was pretty good also. I found this place on a quick search and had not fully understood its location. It was a bit out of the way for us, but it was a pleasant surprise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go again!leadfootgDined on 7/26/2014This is the 3rd time I have been here, and it does not disappoint! food was great, service - wonderful!!! and the people are all so accomodating... took my husband for the first time, been there on business meals previously, and he is a now a fan!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food/Incredible ServiceomnivoreDined on 7/25/2014Three of us dined at Char. One of us had the octopus appetizer, one the tuna tartar, and I had the crispy, garlic, spicy shrimp. Each of us was stunned at the experience. I have only had equal shrimp once. They were fresh caught and cooked in Malaysia 40 years ago. The octopus was tender, not rubbery, and the tuna tartar made our talkative friend silent with delight. A great place, with attentive, knowledgeable, and warm wait staff.Special Features:
- Wonderful evening at CharCAPupsVIPDined on 7/18/2014We've eaten here several times and the food is consistently delicious, with an interesting menu. Service was excellent and our entire party agreed. Highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fruit FliesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/15/2014The restaurant/food was wonderful as I have eaten there before, but this time, the restaurant had fruit flies everywhere. My co-worker and I were celebrating my boss' birthday and were a bit embarrassed because of this. We requested to be moved to another table, just to find them there too. It was a bit distracting and kind of a let down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUM IS THE CHAR MENUBebe923Dined on 7/12/2014I've eaten at Char several times in the past few weeks and every morsel was YUMMY! The service equaled the food. Attentive without being overbearing. My friends and I will be back often.Special Features:
- Amazing!Forzaitalia0815Dined on 7/10/2014Great food, great atmosphere and great service, what else do you need?Special Features:
- WonderfulShirlVIPDined on 6/25/2014Very welcoming and attentive staff. Delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great spot!FoodieDined on 6/13/2014really love this place. its sophisticated upscale casual atmosphere is very relaxing and the food is second to none. try the octopus and hanger steakSpecial Features:
- Good all around foodBMcGDined on 6/10/2014My wife and I went to Char based on curiosity and we were not disappointed. I ordered the scallops and she had the steak frites. Overall very good (although the scallops were a little over caramelized for my taste). Will definitely go back and try the grilled octopus. The drinks were expertly mixed and the highlight of the evening.
- SirdinealotVIPDined on 6/9/2014Great food and service, a little quiet on a Monday night. Great for conversation! Try the duck and salmon good bets!Special Features:
- Great find.suseDined on 5/31/2014Char is a great addition to the neighborhood. Have now been twice, once mid week with my family and now saturday evening with a group of girlfriends. Both times the food was exceptional, the service perfect and a great atmosphere. I highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Very good dinnerabc123Dined on 5/30/2014Food was very good, though portions were quite small. Service was attentive but not overbearing until we finished our entrees, at which point it slowed down considerably. The restaurant at that point was almost full, and it took quite a while for dessert to arrive, and then we couldn't get the waiter's attention to get the bill. It was also noisy enough that our party of 3 felt like we were shouting to talk. We will return, though at a quieter time.
- The following 140 reviews are from the Char Restaurant reviews archive.
- Dinner before the showMartylive4livemusicDined on 5/16/2014We were looking for a place to eat before a show at The Capitol Thtr in Portchester. Well what a great find this was!!! The food was fabulous, I loved the specialty cocktails and the food was awesome! I had the Edamame dumplings which were delicious (though I wished they were steamed - they are fried) and the Seared Tuna Niçoise salad which was to die for. Really well presented and taste was magnificent. My friends and I had great meals and topped it off with desserts that we really shouldn't have had but who could resist. Service was very attentive. And they have a parking lot which is always key. Truly a wonderful evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So soMerleDined on 5/11/2014We have been to this restaurant before and had a few really good meals but the special (very small) menu on Mothers Day was not up to par. Also, I had I know there was to be an abbreviated menu we would have chosen a different place, I wish it had been clear on Open Table. One dish was so salty I had to send it back, which I never do and the replacement was exactly the same. We will return another time when the menu is normal but this was a disappointment.
- We will return!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/11/2014A great new 'find'. Had a Mother's Day evening dinner which was VERY VERY good.Special Features:
- Love it!AdriDined on 5/10/2014The food is delicious, love the appetizers and the deserts. Nice atmosphere and grate service. Totally recomendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time luckyLocaldiner63VIPDined on 5/3/2014We enjoyed our first time try of Char. We were just a group of four and managed to secure a table within the inner room section of the restaurant. This was relevant because the overall noise level of the restaurant is high - and not a buzz of energy "high"; just loud because they have absolutely nothing within the walls of the wood interior to absorb noise. A larger group will have difficulty having a full table conversation. As such, we will return but I would highly recommend the owners consider adding something to the decor to reduce the noise level, particularly as it seems like they do cater to large groups.Special Features:
- great restaurantJohnDined on 4/26/2014We had a wonderful evening at Char. The ambiance was soothing, the food and presentation amazing. My only negative comment was for a 6:15 reservation I felt we were a bit rushed. That won't stop me from going back again....highly recommend it.Special Features:
- LocalDiningCriticDined on 4/26/2014Food is excellent, especially the appetizers. Décor is interesting and check out the lovely bathrooms. It's best to go early on weekends because it gets very noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Char Is Total HitTriplemVIPDined on 4/25/2014Char is a wonderful spot which offers bold and delicious cuisine and a vibrant atmosphere. We went on a Friday night--the joint was packed. Our server was attentive, informed and seasoned in the art of making sure diners choose well. Great service is a sign of great things to come food-wise and we were not disappointed. Every dish was a hit: the pea ravioli with mint, edamame dumplings, pan roasted sea bass, crispy cod. They also have a good wine selection --and a lot by the glass which is really nice to see. The restaurant is definitely convivial--i.e. on the louder side--but everyone at our table and all around us were totally enjoying themselves. Without a doubt we will be returning to Char.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing placeAgthebean22Dined on 4/24/2014This place is terrific! I highly recommend It to anyone who wants a quality meal In a pretty setting. The food, service;decor And overall atmosphere is great! The cod, filet of sole and pork chops are superb Along with everything else! The owners are so welcoming and its a great Neighborhood GEM! I highly recommend this restaurant To anyone that's a foodie!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun catching up with old friendseatingoutDined on 4/23/2014Food was delicious. Service was attentive but not overbearing. We had a great time. Felt very welcome.Special Features:
- CAPupsVIPDined on 4/20/2014This was our second visit to Char and it was on Easter Sunday. The waiter was inattentive and we even had to ask him for the specials for him to even offer. The first time we went the service was outstanding as was the food so perhaps it was a bad night because it was a holiday.
- Easter BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/20/2014Service was excellent. and the food was delicious. The desserts were also very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and deliciousMoneysageVIPDined on 4/19/2014This is a very energetic restaurant with carefully crafted dishes. Bar is fun -try the Char-not overly sweet. Hosted a nearly 2 and a half hour dinner for a group of clients and each of us had a remarkable dinner. No one wanted to leave. I love the frugal with fig salad, the cod dish and the french toast bread pudding was amazing. Restaurant can be noisy but our corner table was perfect this past Saturday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.