Chapter One: the modern local
227 N. Broadway
Santa Ana, CA 92701Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
Chapter One: the modern local
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.chapteronetml.com/
- Phone: 7143522225
- Hours of Operation:
Sinatra Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 3:30pm;
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Nightly: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Late Night Kitchen: Nightly: 11:00pm - 1:00am
Open Every Night until 2AM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef Oge
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Dancing, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We offer many options for larger parties in our brand new Banquet Room. We offer party platers, drink ticket options, and are flexible. Let us know what you are looking for and we should be able to not only accommodate, but to impress. Off-site catering is also available. Contact Sous Chef David Martinico for more details.
- Private Party Facilities: Our banquet room will be completed shortly! A beautifully decorated, private dinning room, with multi-media capabilities. Parties, meetings, luncheons, entertainment venue; endless possibilities.
- Private Party Contact: Jeff Hall 7143522225
- Entertainment: Follow us on Facebook for our event schedule!
- Special Events: AFTER OFFICE happy hour
Monday - Friday 3PM - 7PM
$3 Off Drafts & 20% off Beer Bottles
$5 House Wines & $20 wine bottle special
$5 Fresh Fruit Infusions
$6 our famous Moscow Mule!!!
Check out Tentacle Tuesday, Service Industry Night on Sunday and Monday, and Sintra Sunday Brunch
- Cross Street: 3rd
- Public Transit: Minutes away from Santa Ana Train Station and Regional Transportation Center. Downtown Santa Ana is located in the center of Orange County, so it is never too far from anybody!
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: We have a reserve number of spaces located in the parking lot directly behind our building (Pacific Building). There is also a large parking garage located directly across the street and endless street parking. Valet slated for the future.
A word from Chapter One: the modern local
A modern local is a new concept that is in a sense, the evolution of a gastropub. A culinary-centric, Public House that celebrates it's "local." Whether it's the seasonal, local, farm-to-table sourcing of our ingredients, the history of the local area, or the local resident that feels their sense of ownership here; Chapter One: the modern local is a product of its ideals and creative style as well as its community and local history. We are humble servants to our guests. Our commitment is to treat every guest like family and ensure that you feel the heart of the pub every time you walk in the door. No pretension, just good food and drink and great company.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Chapter One: the modern local reviews from OpenTable diners
- as a foodie I am familar withOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/25/2013as a foodie I am familar with all manner of places to feed and Chapter One is at the top of the list in all respects. The food is always great and service is top notch. The bar scene is rocking and even though I do not drink I can appreciate what they have supplied in the way of ambience and liquor selection. Great place great times all the time.Special Features:
- My associate and I went forOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/23/2013My associate and I went for lunch and it was great! Very hip place with very nice staff, great food and friendly management. They made you feel at home and even put up my friend and all of his "out-of-the-ordinary" requests during our meal.Special Features:
- had a great quiet time eatingOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 4/22/2013had a great quiet time eating and drinking in the bar before a Angel game Cruz was great. Thank youSpecial Features:
- The food is excellent withOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/2/2013The food is excellent with exception of the donuts. I have tried them twice and they are dry. I guess it is because they are baked. The music was loud, but fun. it made me feel like I was in a classy 1940s bar on a Tuesday night.Special Features:
- Loved the food! FavoritesOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/29/2013Loved the food! Favorites were The Kraken, the duck breast, the french burger, and the bacon/banana/bourbon donut. Our group of friends have been meeting for dinner in DTSA monthly and this is definitely my favorite spot out of the 4 we've tried. The staff was very attentive and the experience was great.Special Features:
- I've been to Chapter One severalOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/23/2013I've been to Chapter One several times and the most difficult decision is which culinary delight to surprise myself with from the menu. I have never been disappointed, either in the food (which is most often an adventure) or in the service (ever attentive and prompt). I love bringing people here who have never been....Special Features:
- The drinks, the food, theOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/23/2013The drinks, the food, the service, all very creative and loaded with the personality of the people who created it. Come here only if you want to have fun and eat and drink well.Special Features:
- Bottomless Mimosas!PancakePeanutDined on 3/12/2013Love coming here for brunch! menu changes seasonal, i believe. Best part, BOTTOMLESS mimosas!Special Features:
- Have been to Chapter One aOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/10/2013Have been to Chapter One a few times and enjoyed it. Went here again to introduce some friends to it. Overall food was pretty good. But as an appetizer, the "The Kraken" (calamari, scallop, etc) appetizer was woefully small and missing components. Was a bit embarrassed in front of the friends with that appetizer. Definitely not worth the price or the embarrassment since it was the first dish out... Otherwise, food was decent. Service a bit off that night.Special Features:
- We have dined at Chapter OneOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/7/2013We have dined at Chapter One many times. It is worth the 40 minute drive from Newport Beach. However on this occasion we were seated in a booth where I could observe the food being placed on the shelf ready for pick up by the waiters..... and saw our orders sitting for a full 5 minutes before pick up by our waiter. I didn't want to comment on this at time because we were introducing the restaurant to our guests and it would have broken the 'spell' of the moment! All during this long 5 minutes there were other wait staff that could have delivered our food. Would it make sense to have someone else do this if a waiter gets tied up? Our waiter was great other than the 5 minute issue!Special Features:
- Good gastropub. Didn't realizeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/6/2013Good gastropub. Didn't realize was a pub when I made reservations so it was louder than we had wanted. We had to almost shout once the live music got started. If you want ot visit it is probably best to go there for lunch. The food was eccletic with classic pub fare and there was vegan selections as well. Everyone in my party enjoyed their meal. I had the Jamacian pork tenderloin which was excellent. The duck fat fries were very good as well. The beverage selection was excellent. The best part was the service. Our server let us take our time; we never felt rushed. She was very knowledgable about the menu and helpful with food selections. Would definitely go again for lunch.Special Features:
- My friends and I ate hereOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/1/2013My friends and I ate here during OC Restaurant Week. They had a prefixed menu for the event. We each ordered an appetizer, entree, and dessert. They even included one Moscow Mule drink with this. Most of the night the service was on point. Only minor delays when the bar area started to get busy and the DJ was playing. Other than that, it was a good experience. The food, drinks, and vibe were great. They have an awesome Sunday brunch here so we plan to come back soon.Special Features:
- The Kracken was a nice takeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/28/2013The Kracken was a nice take on fried calamari (and appropriately named,) with the squid ink adding a nice visual touch. The scallops were delicious. The Escargot was also very nice with the creamy tomato sauce. The Game hen was amazingly fried, with the meat still tender and juicy. The jalapeno grits were amazing. I'd going back just for that. The Seafood etouffee was also good and the bowl it came it was a nice presentation. The problem I had was with the dessert. The red velvet was lacking in richness and the icing was basic and tasted processed and a little crude. If the Dude was chocolate flavored, then it was also lacking in depth and tasted like baking chocolate. Our Moscow Mules had too much ginger and I couldn't taste anything elseSpecial Features:
- Great food, but don't askcaegDined on 2/28/2013Great food, but don't ask for anything special because they only serve their dishes how they are on the menu, not leaving anything off, etc. Good thing they have a great menu so I found something that I was able to eat as prepared.Special Features:
- First time here - and we lovedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/25/2013First time here - and we loved it!!! Food was super good - but some of it was REALLY small portions. That however is my only criticism.Special Features:
- Cool Ambiance, under seasoned foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/24/2013Went here for restaurant week because I've been wanting to try it. Sadly I was disappointed with the food, all of it was very under seasoned. I had the hanger steak and I had to ask for salt and pepper. The only saving grace was that most of the meat was cooked well, the end piece was over cooked, but the rest was a great medium well. Sadly, if this is a reflection of the rest of the food, I will most not likely return on my own accord.
- Delicious items during restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/24/2013Delicious items during restaurant week. It was around 7pm when I arrived and there was a lively atmosphere and music. I liked the roasted pepper and escargot as the appetizer. However, I tasted the raw garlic and it left quite bitter aftertaste. I really enjoyed the Mule cocktail as the ginger left my throat and mouth warm. The seafood etouffee was adequate. On the other hand, I really liked my date's steak chimmichuri because it was well marinated and because of the quality of the cut. I didn't care so much for the do-nut dessert, but I really appreciate that it was unique. I would come here for happy hour next time.Special Features:
- The food was good, but itluv2eatDined on 2/24/2013The food was good, but it was so noisy from all of the people at the bar, that conversation was impossible. Also, the timing from the kitchen was bad - a few minutes after receiving our appetizers, the server brought out our entrees. We told him we weren't ready for our entree yet, so he took it back to keep warm. We were still trying to finish our appetizers when the entrees were brought out again and we were asked if we were ready yet. We again said we'd like an opportunity to finish our first course. By the time we were ready for our main course, the dishes had been sitting around awhile and was not exactly fresh. It was not an enjoyable dining experience and we are not likely to go back.Special Features:
- Worth the trip!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/23/2013Loved trying something new and Chapter One was a great experience.
- First of all, if you likeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/23/2013First of all, if you like cocktails and Vodka then you must, must order their Moscow Mule! Awesome drink and I cannot get it our of my head! The food was inventive and very good! The one item we expected the least from was the table favorite which was the Pasta Carbonara...rich and delicious! The environment is very lively and quite loud so if you are looking for a quiet table for two this is not the spot! Looking forward to going back and looking forward to more Mules!!!Special Features:
- Oh those delicious fries. . . .OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/22/2013I had read other reviews about the Duck Fat Fries, they were on point - delicious! Loved the book theme!Special Features:
- Excellent food, great service,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/17/2013Excellent food, great service, fantastic ambience. I could not have been happier with our experience.Special Features:
- The dinner was a special prixOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2013The dinner was a special prix fixe Valentines Day meal. It was at least six courses, perfectly portioned, creative, and great. We were on a time crunch due to another commitment and the courses were served within our time needs without making us feel rushed. We have been to this restaurant numerous times since it opened. It never disappoints!Special Features:
- We left after being seatedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/14/2013We left after being seated and then ignored for well over 10 minutes. Then someone asked us if we had a server. He then walked away instead of just helping us. We had arrived on time for a reservation and there were only a couple other parties in the restaurant. We left and walked down to another place nearby and had a wonderful evening without a reservation even on V day. Yes it was V day but it was early in the evening...5pm. We love the artist district and we were excited to try this new to us establishment. Our review is strictly for the service, not the food.
- I've been a regular here aboutOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/3/2013I've been a regular here about a week since they opened. I'm thrilled they're about to celebrate their two year anniversary. I'm never disappointed by the food and drinks. Every time I introduce a friend to Chapter One they become instant fans and end up returning again and again. You must check out this place.Special Features:
- We had made reservations andOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/2/2013We had made reservations and were seated immediately. We had a tough time reading the menu and wine list as the print was small and the lighting dim.Beer was a little pricey for what you got (draft) but it was excellent beer so worth it. French fries fried in duck fat were wonderful. wish the serving had been a little larger. We ordered two of the flat breads which were very good. Air conditioning kept the restaurant a little too cool but all in all it was a very nice evening. We will definitely come back.Special Features:
- Give your review a title (optional)TomhDined on 1/31/2013My daughter and I had another fun experience at Chapter One. Our server was super professional and fun and the food, as always, is a treat.Special Features:
- I love Chapter One - greatOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 1/31/2013I love Chapter One - great hang-out and great food.Special Features:
- Food was amazing!! This wasMrsMillVIPDined on 1/31/2013Food was amazing!! This was second time here and the food is what brought me back. The service was horrible this time. The server didn't know his specials, was rude when trying to order and ask about cocktails and did not check on table enough. The first time I was there the serves was good.Special Features:
- Noisy!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/25/2013The restaurant becomes a club scene on Friday nights after about 9:30. If you're coming for a nice meal and to be able to hear the person next to you, I don't recommend it. Otherwise, the service and food are excellent.Special Features:
- first time visitors, couldn'tOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/25/2013first time visitors, couldn't get into the Playground, food awesome waitress great, very attentive and knowedgable, friendly etc. Typical noise level for gastropub all in all a great experience.Special Features:
- Great dinnerBPenmanDined on 1/23/2013Our group of four got a warm welcome and was seated immediately. We had a table by their fireplace which was cozy on a cold night. The food was great, everybody liked their drink order, but our server seemed a little preoccupied and it showed in the level of service.Special Features:
- Great times in Santa Ana.lbstopherDined on 1/19/2013Great times in Santa Ana. Food was top notch with classics like their Bourbon scallops and seasonal local vegetables (carrots in January) adding to Lamb mini buns with horseradish. The Chimichurri was also a big hit at our table. Maybe 30% of the menu had changed since we last visited in 11 weeks before. Moscow Mules may limit how well you can walk afterwards, so park close and bring a designated driver.Special Features:
- I took a group from work forOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 1/17/2013I took a group from work for lunch. The food was terrific. Unfortunately, the service was a little slow when we had to get back to work in a timely manner. Nonetheless, we had a wonderful time, my guests all thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience and we will go back.Special Features:
- I am in the restaurant businessOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 1/16/2013I am in the restaurant business for 35 years...I was revered by a friend in the business. Lindsay my server was fantastic, knowledgeable, on top of service if I went back I would ask for her. The food was was fabulous as were their drinks, wine list, prices. Even down to the cute share plates already placed on the table. But, not older people friendly why would a hostess take a 80 year old woman and her daughter to the worst possible table in the room a cocktail table directly in the bar in front of the door? Then she moved to a table in front of the kitchen. I work in a restaurant I don't want to be by a kitchen and a side station all night,it's my night off. She would not give me either one the booths next to us that both stayed open.Special Features:
- Sunday brunch outstandingJdietzDined on 1/6/2013I just posted a review on Yelp, but needless to say the Sunday brunch is outstanding. Service is spot on, always. You're glass to make your own Mimosas ($6 for all you can drink) never gets empty. The French toast in absolutely amazing. Nothing on the menu I wouldn't recommend, and we have tried them all.Special Features:
- Overall the food was goodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/5/2013Overall the food was good but nothing was outstanding. The dishes we enjoyed most were the salmon and the hamburger however the volcano tacos and the vegan portabello dish were not very good. We had hoped to order lamb sticky buns but they were out for the night at 6pm. I would say service was very good, however we ordered a couple appetizer and the server forgot to put our order in. She appologized after our food arrived and realized her error. I also ordered an ice tea which never came. We were offered a complimentary dessert as we were celebrating a birthsay,Special Features:
- We loved everything aboutOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/5/2013We loved everything about Chapter One. Everything we ate was delicious. The steak salad and volcano tacos were especially amazing. We also had The Dude for dessert and it didn't disappoint. I will definitely be going back to Chapter One.Special Features:
- Too loud to talkCarloVIPDined on 12/23/2012Great downtown urban renewal location and wanted to give it a try, but NOT RIGHT for a large group of friends that want to be able to talk. We had 10 of us for a holiday reunion and we were at the opposite end of the restaurant away from the LIVE music at Sunday Brunch, but still couldn't talk to each other. Very frustrating. This was recommended by a friend and I'd go back if I they'd turn down the music.
- Hi made reservations throughOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/19/2012Hi made reservations through open table and after I got there I still had to wait 45 minutes for a table. The waitress was not very friendly either, However the hostess was nice and tried to help us. The food was pretty good. We got the American burger and it was very tasty. The potato pear and the duck fat fries were also good.Special Features: