33 Greenwich Avenue
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.chapterone.nyc/
- Phone: (212) 842-9146
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 3:30pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, American
- Executive Chef: Warren Baird
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Chapter One
Chapter One, located at 33 Greenwich Avenue in NYC’s West Village, offers an elevated take on American pub fare in a homey setting inspired by New York’s historic taverns.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Chapter One reviews from OpenTable diners
32 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (14)fit for foodies (13)good for groups (8)vibrant bar scene (5)romantic (4)great for brunch (3)notable wine list (3)great for outdoor dining (3)great for lunch (2)special occasion (2)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)late-night find (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Nice to try something new in the area - too loudAviEatsOutVIPDined on 11/16/2014The food was really good unfortunately, the place was so loud that I could not hear inside. The materials of the place did not absorb and frankly I would not go back only because it was just too loud and too distracting -- sorry so many other options in the area.
- Small, dry brunchChrisDined on 11/16/2014I went here for brunch with a small group of friends. We all got either the Egg Sandwich or the Two Eggs with the Works. For both dishes, the portions were small. The eggs and hash browns were fine but nothing special, the biscuits were small and dry, and the bacon was overcooked and dry. The egg sandwiches arrived without any sauces, so they had to take them back to have the sauces added. (Also, at that moment the place was almost empty, so I'm not sure how they managed to forget a part of the dish.) When our check arrived, it took the server forever to come pick up our cards. On the plus side, the prices were low, the place was roomy and relaxed, and we weren't rushed. I would've been willing to pay more to get better food though.Special Features:
- New to the VillageJohnVIPDined on 10/29/2014Great restaurant, nice ambiance, good service and food - recommendSpecial Features:
- Village GemWandererVIPDined on 10/28/2014This is a terrific Village neighborhood restaurant that gets far too little attention. Service is cordial and prompt. The menu does not overwhelm with choices, but there are plenty enough and with some amazing taste results.Special Features:
- RemiVIPDined on 10/20/2014While the Daily News review on this restaurant was glowing, my friends and I found the experience disappointing. The lentil fritters, highly touted in the article, were gummy and tasteless. My burger was just okay, and my husband said it was the worst piece of chicken he had ever had. The restaurant was practically empty, yet despite that, service was extremely slow. Sorry!
- Good but needs to grow a followingfoodiefriendDined on 10/15/2014The food was good but maybe a touch overpriced considering that my friend and I were literally the only diners in the room the entire time we were there. Lower price points might get people in the door and once the place has regulars, they would be happy to pay a little more. As it is, as good as the food, service and general look of the place is, the empty room seemed a bit sad. The owner was open to some suggestions, like a late night happy hour maybe starting at 10:00 on weekends. This place deserves a place in the neighborhood, it just need to find its way.Special Features:
- Disappointinf serviceAbfabDined on 10/11/2014I'd go back to try it again. People were nice but service was beyond aweful. Aps were good, dinner okSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chapter One is not a date placeBrooklynGershDined on 10/2/2014The service was great, the food was better than average, but this is a clubby dining area or a good, quiet place for a real sports fan to have a beer and watch a game without screaming hoards. But it is NOT A DATE PLACE. Just ask my girlfriend!
- Welcome newcomerJoanVIPDined on 9/23/2014New Greenwich Village restaurant pleased on all count--most imaginative tasty menu, solicitous service, pleasant decor, well pricedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great addition to neighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/7/2014This restaurant is an enormous upgrade to its predecessor! The food is creative, delicious and good value. We live in the neighborhood and have been several times for different types of meals and at different times of the day. We enjoyed our meal and experience every time. the service is also good, prices reasonable and it's so convenient. We recommend!Special Features:
- An odd placeLocalVIPDined on 9/5/2014They forgot to check us in to Open table, and it was not very crowded. The music was sort of am radio ish. The entree was fine, but the chocolate pudding dessert had a weird sour topping that was at odds with the chocolate underneath. Kind of a strange place.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/2/2014Nice addition to the neighborhood. Good food, good service, pleasant decor. I hope they make it. Very quiet the weekday night I was there.Special Features:
- Got a table, restaurant closedprebbDined on 9/1/2014I booked a table for labour day evening. There were no indication that the restaurant would not be open this evening. Other restaurants we tried, which also were closed, had no available tables. I was hoping for a good experience, but when we arrived doors were closed and the light was off. Too bad.
- below expectationsivanDined on 8/16/2014place was empty, yet we waited for a long time for our egg-based brunch items. no cocktail menu available - waitress had to tell us what they have, but was unsure of the prices and had to keep checking. food presentation was great, but taste was average/below average compared to other places in the area. the fresh squeezed orange juice was more ice than juice. overall - no value for the money, probably wont repeat
- The following 6 reviews are from the Chapter One reviews archive.
- Nice Addition to the NeighborhoodBryanNYCVIPDined on 7/25/2014Chapter One is a nice addition to the neighborhood. The restaurant is comfortable and low key with a nice menu and good service. It's very special on a nice summer evening, when the windows are wide open and the restaurant is open to the street.Special Features:
- Loved it!Saross86Dined on 7/18/2014I love a good gastropub, and this is a GREAT gastropub. We went in a group of 8 and the service and food were incredible. Cocktails were delicious, appetizers amazing (get the pork rinds!) and everyone was very impressed with their mains. I'm so glad we decided to give this place a shot and will definitely be back!Special Features:
- JessicaDined on 7/8/2014The cold cucumber soup with crab and the beef tartare were excellent! The wait staff were very friendly and made our dinner fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new place!cmc5095Dined on 6/20/2014Really great place! Local wine and food was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Solid Restaurantase1707VIPDined on 6/10/2014My wife and I dined here last evening and had a very good meal. We both started with the cold cucumber soup with crab and it was wonderful, with a hint of mint. For dinner I enjoyed the pork belly. It was cooked and served professionally and it was very good. We will return to this fun spot. Last evening there was a large party that took up most of the restaurant and it was loud. We will return and hopefully rate this restaurant even higher if there is not the large distraction of a large party.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Recommend to TryTouristfromNYCVIPDined on 5/31/2014Cool vibe. Duck, short rib, and charred octopus is excellent. Definitely give this new place a try.