4506 East Third Street
Bloomington, IN 47401Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chapmansrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (812) 337-9999
- Hours of Operation:
Saturday & Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Wednesday - Saturday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Wednesday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jim Turner
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Entertainment: Live jazz piano Friday & Saturday evenings.
A word from Chapman's Restaurant
We are a full service restaurant, banquet facility, and all suite hotel. Our menu is innovative yet familiar, and affordable. A number of our menu items include locally grown organic ingredients. The focus of our cuisine is on fresh meats and seafood, creative salads, and desserts made in house. We offer a 1st class banquet facility able to accommodate parties up to 225 people.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Chapman's Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Bloomington ›
Chapman's Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
23 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelQuiet
good for groups (10)special occasion (8)neighborhood gem (8)great for brunch (7)great for lunch (7)romantic (6)kid-friendly (3)notable wine list (1)fit for foodies (1)Show More
- mjayDined on 11/8/2014I would like to be able to tell you more about this restaurant but unfortunately cannot. We were seated and handed menu's/waters almost immediately but then waited for nearly 15 minutes. During that time, the only activity we saw was the hostess and manager trying to find a channel on the bar TV and a gentleman playing the piano. No server ever approached us so we simply left and found another restaurant. Quite disappointing.
- Poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/8/2014We arrived for our reservation on time, and waited about 10 minutes until the bartender came over to ask if we had been helped. They never asked our name...said that there weren't any tables available in the dining room, and then sat us in the bar area. We waited another 10-15 minutes until I had to ask for the manager since a waitress never came over to take our drink orders and set the table. The service was poor, they were out of the appetizers we wanted, and were lax in providing the necessary plates and silverware when dessert was served. The only redeeming part of our experience was the Nachos were excellent and the main courses was good.
- Bad NightDougVIPDined on 11/8/2014I may have to test my belief in second chances. Not sure what was going that night. The staff really struggled, from the time we were seated until we paid our tab. The restaurant seemed overwhelmed. It seemed there were issue with almost all the tables. Guests not getting drinks, salads being forgotten, food coming out while soup and salads still being finished. Long wait to take care of the check. The potential is there, menu and food good, but the service needs a major upgrade.
- Not a great brunch place.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/8/2014The restaurant is beautiful, but we didn't realize that we couldn't order off the menu. Buffet was very limited and food had been out for some time.
- Good but not greatAuntieBeeVIPDined on 11/7/2014Alligator bits too tough to chew, eggplant Parmesan undercooked, fries cold and when asked for new order were greasy, hot and limp. It's a nice looking place with nice waitstaff and below par food.Special Features:
- Very Good food, service needs help!GO4ITDined on 10/25/2014May not know the menu, but he tried...lied a bit, but tried... The food was OVERALL very good, w/ a hint of extraordinary on some of the dishes I tasted.. Good job on the grits (not bad a northern restaurant).. GREAT pork tenderloin, but not so much for ribs..Good job on the Salmon, but a bit stingy... Good side dishes; and not a good choice on desert...!everyone says eat the donuts..Should back as my son is at IU and it's a great find for the area, out of the ordinary downtown hobnob... Try it; but confirm your dishes w/ the server as may forget.. Martin ClanSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with dear friends.JanetDined on 10/1/2014We wanted a quiet place to dine with "old" friends in Bloomington IN - a place where we could enjoy a good dinner and nice wine and a quiet atmosphere where we could chat and not have to yell over extra sounds. This was the perfect place, the service was attentive and knowledgable, the food quite good and we had a delightful evening.Special Features:
- Birthday Brunch Made BetterthechocolatepriestessDined on 9/27/2014I'd been reading about the Chapman's brunch on Saturday and Sundays all summer long in the local newspaper and finally got a chance to try it with a group of friends for our monthly gathering -- my birthday was just a couple of days before so they let me pick the place. I made reservations and we were seated in a little side room with only seating for eight (we had six). Basically has a private room that turned out to have controls for the sound system that was turned off, when someone asked if he should turn it on and we said "no" he kept it off. Our server was able to adjust to our craziness though he didn't tell us about the pancake option; I asked about it at the omelet station. We should have been informed. Website needs work, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Nice!ReviewsVIPDined on 8/31/2014We really enjoyed Sunday brunch at Chapman's. The food and selection was great, the restaurant was clean, and the staff very friendly. We will make this a regular for dining out.Special Features:
- Woah Nellie, What a Surprise!2New2HereDined on 8/23/2014We moved to Bloomington from the New York metropolitan area nine months ago and, of course, started asking about the restaurants. No one mentioned Chapman's, and when we asked, people were taciturn and noncommittal. That's why we can't understand why it's so good. Something must have changed. We've eaten dinner there about ten times, and every experience was really good. The menu is small enough so that the chef (new?) can give the dishes what seems to be his full interest. Two of the desserts, the (real) pound cake and the (fattening and fabulous) doughnuts, are exceptional. We've had the same waiter each time; he is energetic and thoughtful -- even remembers our idiosyncrasies.Special Features:
- Disappointing DinnerIteachDined on 8/8/2014I have always enjoyed Chapman's because of the ambience, the quiet, the good food, and the great drinks. This visit, however, left a lot to be desired. While the place was quiet - almost too quiet - and the service was good, the food was, at best, just mediocre and not what we should have gotten for the price we paid. My dark meat chicken entree was dry which is almost an impossible feat with dark meat, and my husband's mashed potatoes were so full of garlic that they were inedible. Our dinner companions fared a little better with the shrimp pasta special and a Reuben sandwich. Chapman's used to be a place for those of us who enjoy dining in a quiet atmosphere and don't mind paying for good food. Not any longer.Special Features:
- PresentationclassyentertainingDined on 8/3/2014The food was very good but was not very warm. My suggestion would be: the warmers needed to be turned up slightly. We all enjoyed the choices and having the chef present to interact with our family.Special Features:
- The following 186 reviews are from the Chapman's Restaurant reviews archive.
- An Elegant Place in BloomingtonsbpresserVIPDined on 7/25/2014I love staying at the Bloomington Century Suites, and Chapman's is an elegant family restaurant on the premises. It's got superb food, and a country-club sort of atmosphere. Splendid service, and now even room service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not quite greatPrinceBrandDined on 7/18/2014Had fried green tomatoes as appetizer. It was cut too thick to get the proper texture after frying. Not greasy but not quite there. We both had the cioppino for our entree (fish stew). The crab was served atop the bowl and it had never been in the broth. The fish was a little over as were the shrimp. The broth was flavorful and spicy. A B cioppino-. No napkins or bowl for shells offered for this messy dish. For dessert I had the chocolate mousse. The menu said it had by a raspberry couliis. Instead it had a strawberry on top. I'd gotten this dessert prior and when asked about it they said they were out of raspberry but now it seems they're just going for cheaper. The banana's foster was missing its menu listed whipped cream.Special Features:
- Nice outdoor dining optionsonof60sVIPDined on 6/25/2014The outdoor tables are small, but totally in the shade once the sun goes behind the restaurant. We enjoyed Wednesday Walleye, and ribs with chipotle sauce. Always love the attentive care that our waiter, Aaron provides.Special Features:
- Quiet Sunday BrunchHoosierGrandmaDined on 6/15/2014Chapman's is a favorite for Sunday brunch. It's quiet and there is usually no waiting. Food quality for the main entrees can be variable, but there is always a fresh salad bar, an omelet station (always excellent) and some outstanding desserts. The servers are friendly and helpful. It's a family-oriented restaurant that is worth a visit.Special Features:
- Go for the specialstheprofessorVIPDined on 6/11/2014Nice generally quiet place, superb bar, and a really nice place to stay for a romantic get-away.Special Features:
- Great Lunch ChoicesWinnerDined on 6/5/2014The menu is full of interesting and delicious choices for lunch. My colleagues enjoy meeting here for a fun or a working lunch. The environment reminds me of a colonial inn and there are some nook and crannies for more private parties.Special Features:
- Fresh station = GREATkjb4508Dined on 5/31/2014The fresh omelette station was outstanding. Unfortunately, the buffet was less than stellar and I hesitate to go back. Scrambled eggs were rubbery and tasteless - so I got a fresh omelette - thank goodness! Coffee had things floating in it....but I tried to overlook. I used to go to Chapman's a lot and am willing to try it again because it's a lovely atmosphere and could be so special, but this time I was a little disappointed.Special Features:
- Very pleased with the experienceHullyDined on 5/24/2014We've eaten at Chapman's many times over the years both Sunday brunch and dinner. I didn't check the "lunch" box above as I don't know if they serve lunch. The food was excellent on our most recent visit. We were there early, so it was indeed quiet and the service was excellent. We will certainly return.Special Features:
- Excellent Pike Dinnersonof60sVIPDined on 5/14/2014My husband enjoyed his all-you-care-to-eat fried Pike dinner, and showed great restraint by not having seconds! We enjoyed the mashed sweet potatoes, zucchini and, as always, the baked bread and roasted garlic cloves. Service by Aaron and Ian was attentive and professional.Special Features:
- Eat fastBTWBtonDined on 5/11/2014We felt rushed to eat as the staff broke down tables, vacuumed around us.
- A must try!NomnomnomDined on 5/11/2014I have been in the area numerous times. The food has always smelled delicious. It lived up to the smell. The prime rib was some of the best I've ever eaten. The brunch buffet offered great selection The atmosphere is nice for a date. I will definately be returning try other selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day brunch was a messLaurelTreeDined on 5/11/2014We've been to Chapman's several times for dinner and brunch and were always satisfied. But when we went for Mother's Day Brunch we were very disappointed. They simply weren't prepared for the large crowds and the service was absolutely terrible. Our reservation was for 9, but they only had 8 chairs. We had to pull one over from another table ourselves because they took so long bringing the extra. We had to ask several times to get water and drinks filled. They forgot our son's omelette, and we had to ask for it a second time. They took forever to bring the check and when we asked one of the other servers to tell our server to bring it, they didn't do it and we waited 15 minutes to get it. Waiter was nice and was trying, but overwhelmed.Special Features:
- Mixed ExperienceforthefoodDined on 5/10/2014Not the best first-time visit to Chapman's, but I would probably give it another try. The food was great and I did not doubt the quality of the preparation, but the service was truly lacking. Our server was scattered and unattentive. We were seated near the bar and were interrupted by vigorous ice chipping and a lot of staff commotion. A lot of the staff members seemed unorganized. I understand this was a busy occasion (graduation day for IU) so would definitely be open to visiting the restaurant again on a regular day. I will certainly have to convince my spouse to go again as they were not happy with the experience at all, but the food was enough to pique my interest!Special Features:
- AWFUL!!!!!runtheotherwayDined on 5/10/2014Tried to dine here for my son's graduation. Advertised as restaurant and bar, but really a banquet hall. Poor service and quality. From the moment we sat down, there were problems. Mixed up drinks, forgotten orders. Drinks were the size of a Dixie bathroom cup. More than half the party did not get their salad before food arrived. Salad that was served, was hot. 5 dinners served were raw, one dropped on floor , two never received. No sign of the waiter or manager. No apology, no excuses, just avoidance. It was a large stark room set with banquet tables. Did not see the fireplace, bar, french doors that appear on the website. AN ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE!! CAN'T EMPHASIZE ENOUGH HOW HORRIBLE IT WAS. IT RUINED OUR CELEBRATIION.
- Overpriced and not very goodEnjoyFoodDined on 5/10/2014Very overpriced for what you receive in the way of quality and quantity of food. I was very disappointed. This was a celebration meal for our daughter's graduation from Indiana University. The menu was a "special" graduation menu. Not quite sure what was so special about it. Very limited options and overpriced. The steak was fatty, the chicken was dry, and the serving sizes were for people on starvation diets. Maybe 5 very small spears of asparagus at most. Don't get the $7.00 cup of chocolate mousse. Tasted good, but are you kidding me - 5 bites for $7.00. The soup was good, but are you kidding me that you really can't serve more than that in a cup for the price you charge.
- graduation dinnerworldwidetravelerDined on 5/9/2014Nine of us had dinner at Chapman's the night before IU graduation. Five of us were late due to a plane delay. The accommodated us so nicely. Let us come at 9:45 pm even though they stop serving at 10. We had a delicious meal in a private room, and we lingered happily among cheerful staff. Very pleasant experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the moneyleesyDined on 5/9/2014Our server was awful: barely came to the table, and always much later than we wanted him there. He wasn't personable and barely even smiled. The other people who came around to clear dishes and fill water were quite pleasant though. We had the salmon spread as an appetizer; it was very good. My mom said her salmon entree was excellent, and my dad liked his eggplant. I had the pork chop. It was good, but not nearly worth $25. My grandpa had the Amish chicken and said it tasted "like a 10-year-old rooster" (i.e. bad). The atmosphere was very nice. It could be a really great restaurant, but for the money, I expected some really amazing dishes. If you're spending that much on a nice meal, go to Restaurant Tallent instead.Special Features:
- AN OPEN TABLE DISAPPOINTMENTOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/8/2014I have been using open table to locate restaurants throughout the United States. The reviews of Chapman's were pretty good. However, our dinner really was very disappointing. The menu was almost to eclectic. We ordered a duck dish on the menu and the duck just did not taste right. The rest of the food was very average.
- Great date spotdiscosteveDined on 5/2/2014I got the strip and she got the pork. Both were cooked wonderfully. Our waiter was very knowledgeable and attentive. Romantic atmosphere with live piano being a nice touch. Great for a 50-60 dollar date!Special Features:
- Well Worth Re-exploringOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/26/2014After a long time away, my wife and I tried Chapman's again with another couple, as the chef changed there several months back. Our meal was outstanding. From the presentation, taste, temperature, and portion, we found the meal to be first class and well worth a try. We will be back!Special Features:
- Celebrating good food.Redshirt421Dined on 4/24/2014I took my girlfriend out for her Birthday. She expected a nice fine dining experience and Chapman's delivered. The wait staff was friendly and well informed. The food was executed perfectly. We tried the famous tomato soup. It was delicious. I had the pork tenderloin and she had the Amish chicken. Both dishes were flavorful and the presentation was also very nice. I would recommend Chapman's to anyone looking for delicious food and fine wine. I can't wait to return and try something new.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant but could be improvedQuietFoodieDined on 4/23/2014Food was good but service perfunctory. We enjoyed the fireplace and view, but attention to minor details would make a big improvement: website menu is not up-to-date; coffee and soup should be served hot; waiters should ask whether diners have finished before removing salad plates; waiters should ask if diners would like dessert before presenting the bill. Furthermore, since I specified that this was a birthday celebration, it would have been a simple matter to have birthday cake/cupcake on the menu. A large group near us, also celebrating a birthday, appeared to be well-served. William Shakespeare and I would have liked to feel more welcome on our birthday.Special Features:
- Chapman's does everything right!DiningCriticDined on 4/20/2014Excellent food, service, atmosphere. Even small outdoor tables in nice weather. Fireplace in winter. Manages to be relaxed yet lovely. Prices very reasonable. Perfect for any special occasion. Brunches, banquets best in Bloomington. Fine dining without being snobby or stuffy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/20/2014I think overall I had a good experience, but not quite great. If you make sure to tell customers that the coffee is not included in the bruch fee, make sure the coffee is very hot, the food is warmer than it was, and let us know when you will stop serving pancakes, then I will give your restaurant a rating of great or outstanding. The waitress was very nice though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter BrunchIUTravellerDined on 4/20/2014We eat at Chapman's regularly for lunch and dinner but this was our first Sunday brunch experience, which attracted very large crowds on Easter. It was a bit chaotic but our (excellent) waitress created order soon and our table of nine was treated well. The choices are extraordinary, with pancake and omelet stations, many other egg, pasta, meat, fruit and vegetable selections, plus a wide range of drinks, including bloody marys and mimosas. All was quite good. My only complaint was that the price was increased from the regular brunch fee of $13 to $24 per person, plus drinks, presumably because it was Easter. I thought that price was too high and was disappointed. Otherwise, a fine brunch.
- easter brunchcatoDined on 4/20/2014Great buffet brunch on Easter - a little pricey but excellent variety and quality of food. Beautiful restaurant , nice quiet romantic ambiance with some live jazz piano on some evenings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Price misleadingLynneDined on 4/20/2014We reserved a table after hearing their radio ad advertising $14.95 Saturday and Sunday brunch every weekend. They failed to mention at any time that Easter brunch was $23.95/pp and not $14.95/pp. I just feel that that should have been on their ad.Special Features:
- Easter BrunchMehrabanDined on 4/20/2014The food selection was generous and good. The staff seemed efficient and friendly. My party of six was well-served and had a good time. Accessibility for people with disabilities is good. The one difficulty we encountered was that the omelet station seemed overwhelmed by orders and unprepared for the number of orders received. Two stations for a brunch of this size would be reasonable. Overall a good dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.