925 B Street
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://chaplos.com/
- Phone: 6197983888
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:30pm
Tuesday - Sunday: 4:00pm - close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Norma D. Martinez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Takeout, Wine
A word from Chaplos
Chaplos offers an array of choices with it's diverse American menu which varies from a casual lunch to a relaxed dinning atmosphere. With high ceilings and a bar reminiscent of the 1920's era Chaplos focuses on offering unique service along with an unforgettable experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Chaplos reviews from OpenTable diners
3 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (3)late-night find (1)good for groups (1)great for lunch (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Great pre symphony place to goStacydeDined on 5/9/2014We live downtown and this was our first chance to try Chaplos. We did not feel like walking to the Symphony so decided to try Chaplos as they had free valet parking for Symphony goers. I have to admit I was impressed. We had a flat bread and a few appetizers and everything was wonderful. The food came out quickly and was very fresh. Seemed like the night we were there they were a bit understaffed and the lady that was our server was generally a hostess. But she did an admirable job!! The drinks we ordered took the longest time to get to our table and it did not seem to be a server issue but a bartender issue. We stopped back after the symphony and hit the bar for one last cocktail. Service sitting at the bar was much quicker.Special Features:
- The following 70 reviews are from the Chaplos reviews archive.
- Great for before SymphonyPartymgntDined on 4/26/2014Chaplos is easy walking distance to Symphony Hall and is a very nice atmosphere for relaxing before the performance. Food was very good and the service was exceptionally friendly. We had different entrees among the four of us, and they were all good. Jidori chicken came with a spicy sauce and a very tasty polenta. This was our second trip to the restaurant and both experiences were very positive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!SdelaDined on 4/25/2014Ambiance made it all the more charming and the food was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Surprise DowntownAmbrosiaDined on 4/11/2014I'm reluctant to describe my dining experiences at Chaplos because I don't want to encourage "The Loud Crowd." But I want this restaurant to be wildly successful. The décor is a sophisticated and calming mix of mostly modern with touches of rustic. The feeling is spacious and uncrowded. The TVs play old movies with the sound muted -- NO LOUD SPORTS BAR. The background music was conducive to conversation. On my second visit, the music was louder & jarring. Guess what? It was changed upon my request. The menu is so varied & good it is difficult to choose. The lamb chops are sublime, and we ordered a second entrée of pasta to take home for the next day. Highlight: buttery shaved/stacked vegetables that melt in the mouth.Special Features:
- Great food and atmosphere!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/8/2014Chaplos is located in an office building and a little difficult to notice but once you go in the atmosphere is really cool. It's a prohibition themed bar and restaurant area. The food was great and reasonably priced and the service was excellent to go along with it. Definable a hidden gem!Special Features:
- SymphonyGarMarDined on 4/5/2014It is so convenient to park early and walk one block to Chaplos. The new menu is fantastic and the food id well prepared and reasonable in cost. It is a gem !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and good food.Waterbuffalo619Dined on 4/4/2014Our bartender, Matt, was amazing. He had paid special attention to our taste in cocktails andade our drinks to perfection. The food was great too! The flat breads could have been bigger in portion and kess cheeae but overall good. I liked the Kale salad but I'd rather bit have the cranberries. my burger was cooked to my liking and it was very filling. I will be cing back for their late happy hours.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnniversarykimbroganDined on 4/4/2014We had our anniversary dinner at the restaurant. Our waiter, Jose, was very helpful with the menu which was eclectic. We decided to have the short-rib flatbread as an appetizer. It was probably my favorite dish.For dinner my husband had the catch of the day and loved it. I had the shrimp fettuccine which was a little spicy, but that was good. My husband enjoyed his fish so it was a win-win. They brought us their salted caramel desert and it was delicious.The manager came to our table to insure that we were enjoying our food and service--a nice touch. The inside of the restaurant is modern and comfortable. You can valet park for $5 (a bargain downtown.) They ask if you're going to the symphony so that they can accommodate you (we weren't.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was my second lunch visitTabbyVIPDined on 4/4/2014This was my second lunch visit to this restaurant. First visit the service was REALLY slow. On the second visit the service was REALLY REALLY slow. I would hesitate to go to this restaurant again ......I would recommend this to a friend.
- ParkingLindaVIPDined on 4/2/2014Nice that they provide valet parking and you can get the car after the symphony.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What happened ?greatwhite352Dined on 3/21/2014We were at Chaplos several times between December and April 2013 and found it to be excellent. Each time we returned we brought friends to introduce them to the place. We returned in 2014 to find the menu had become.....what ? Buffalo Wild Wings? It was bar food. We will not be back.
- Impressed with the insidesenaylorDined on 2/28/2014From the outside I was unsure because it seemed like it was going to be an office building restaurant. But after entering the restaurant I was super impressed. Great service & good food.Special Features:
- Charming Place!HapyDined on 2/21/2014Chaplos has a great feel about it. Upon entering above you, beautiful tiffany lamps glisten. As you are taken to your table, you notice the large neighborhood bar beckoning you to sit. The employees are very friendly and attentive. The cobb salad, ravioli and salmon farafelle were delicious. It's definitely worth a visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentines Day. OkayOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2014Location 5/5 Service 3/5 (awesome waitress, terrible host) Food 2.5/5 (45$ a head, taste was good, but seemed really cheap) Decor 1/5 (we were sat at a table missing the V-day decorations!!!) Price 1/5 (way over priced for what you got, drinks were 10-15 for a couple sips) I would say on a normal night this place would prolly be worth the money, dont go here for a special occasion. OH AND THEY SERVED US LUKE WARM TAP WATER!!!
- Surprisingly good by Symphony Hall!MickyVIPDined on 2/14/2014We were attending an 8:00 p.m. music performance at Symphony Hall on Valentine's Day and realized our challenge getting a reservation that evening and within walking distance. Chaplos was a very pleasant surprise and a great find! Located only two blocks away its menu was diverse, well-prepared and delightful. We particularly enjoyed the short rib, and the tuna appetizer was creative and subtle in flavoring and uniquely presented on flat bread. There is a lovely antique bar where several couples gathered for drinks and appetizers while booths provided quiet and a nice ambiance for romance. Kudos to the chef and general manager (both of whom were on hand for the Valentine's rush) for an unexpected memorable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New FindLovetoeatDined on 1/29/2014First time customer. Went there for a business lunch. Nice setting and good food. Mahi-mahi sandwich was terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Close to SymphonyFachoyVIPDined on 1/25/2014Close the the Symphony Hall and Civic Center Plaza but, a slight distance from the vibrant Gas Lamp District night scene. Entrees were delicious, in particular the salmon and bone in rib eye steak. Cocktails were just OK but the wine selections were very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service. Over-cooked foodBreezeVIPDined on 1/18/2014What a beautiful restaurant and the wait staff could not have been friendlier or more helpful. But unfortunately, the food was not well prepared. We had the Mussels and Clams as an appetizer. Fabulous broth, but the shellfish was over cooked and tough. The short ribs and the lamb chops were also medium-well to well. We ordered a Beet salad that was supposed to have grilled peach, but no peach was found and I think the beets were canned. We ordered something chocolate for dessert, but got apple instead and needed to get to a play so we ate the apple anyway. The wine and bacon wrapped asparagus were excellent. Sorry Chaplos. You have all the makings of a great restaurant, except a good chef. And it wasn't even busy when we were there.
- Quiet on a Friday nightljcoveDined on 1/17/2014We were hoping for more of a place with a vibe given it was a Friday night but the place was virtually empty. The interior is amazing, the good was delicious and the service was great. Hopefully they find a way to get more people in because it has potential.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a Find!PattiDined on 1/14/2014Went to Chaplos because I received a gift certificate, but now I'll return because it was such a find! Our waiter Jose was attentive, knowledgable and fun besides. The food was amazing. The wedge salad drizzled with blue cheese, crispy onions and basalmic was creative and delicious. The short ribs were so tender I didn't need a knife... The drink menu was fun too with cocktails named for places. We had one named for Maui that took me back to that island paradise. Go to Chaplos and have a wonderful time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Pleasant EveningBOOMERDined on 1/4/2014We went here on a recommendation from someone else and was very pleased overall. Since it is located on the outskirts of the gas lamp, we were able to park on the street and, therefore, did not have to pay (after 6:00 pm) which started the evening right. Our waiter was very attentive and pleasant. My only negative comment was the portion size of my Raviioli. I am a petite woman who never (!!) finishes a meal; however, the portion of the Ravioli was just right for me which means it would not have been enough for my husband. On a positive note, it was very tasty!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceCarlsbadDined on 12/27/2013Our dinner was excellent, starting with the service, barely any wait for our food, great wine list! The food was excellent and it was also very nicely presented. We were there on a Friday night just when they start dinner so it was quiet. It looks like a great place for anything from drinks, brunch, lunch, etcSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SymphonyGarMarDined on 12/14/2013Very convenient for symphony nights. Good food. Music too loud and distracting to meal. Excellent service. Adequate wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/16/2013Our server was very nice and tried his best, but overall the restaurant was disappointing. It didn't seem as if they had enough people on staff to serve patrons in a timely manner. Our drinks took almost 30 minutes to be delivered and arrived after our meal was served. The food was okay, but nothing to write home about. The server raved about the beet salad, which my friend ordered, and it was very underwhelming. She thought they may have forgot the dressing on it. The decor is cool and the restaurant was full, but I likely won't be back anytime soon.
- Chaplos 26-Oct-2013DelMartianVIPDined on 10/26/2013This was our first visit to this restaurant and we felt right at home. Great atmosphere, service, food and drinks. It is two blocks from Copley Symphony Hall making it ideal for a pre or post event meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't figure why it's not busierOBjoeDined on 10/8/2013Granted I've only been there during the week for dinner and once for Sunday brunch. Three visits now and the staff has been great. I do think they need a host especially because the door is oddly around the corner from the main bar and service area. The food is great and not overpriced and the drinks are good with an adequate beer and wine selection. The happy hour from 5-7pm being half off all drinks is what all places should emulate. They even have a late night one from 9-11pm on Fri and Sat. The brunch ceviche bar and make to order crepes are awesome and I'd go back just for the dual chilaquiles. I gave the ambiance a 3 instead of 4 just for the music which is a bit too odd but the layout and decoration is cool.
- Bartender / Server Was Great!GogodancerDined on 9/25/2013He had great recommendations, was very accommodating and helpful with the drink and food selections. Very friendly and very conversational but not overly so to the point where it might have been annoying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeekjmoraDined on 9/19/2013I pass by Chaplos everyday after work and decided to check them out when i saw them on the Restaurant Week list. I made a reservation and at last moment had to reschedule and they were very flexible. The decor is awesome, even my 10 yr old daughter liked the huge spoon on the window. We were seated and our server was very nice. My husband wanted to try a drink he'd heard of but was no longer on their menu, ( The Flapper) but the server went ahead and made us a few rounds anyway, that was great of him. We braised short ribs which were one of the best i've had. My daughter had their pasta with salmon which i ate from too because it was so good We were very satisfied with our food and service and will recommend this place and return for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved It!CautolinoDined on 9/14/2013The food was amazing and the service was exceptional. We have told out friends about this hidden Gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was great. Our waiterOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/7/2013Service was great. Our waiter knew lots of information about the menu and made excellent suggestions. We were never rushed and had a pleasant and leisurely evening with a 4-course meal with Napa Chardonnay, Calamari, Asparagus caprese, Salmon and Ravioli, and cobbler. The food is fresh and brought to the table immediately--- hot when it needs to be and cool when it needs to be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was very tasty. GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/17/2013Food was very tasty. Great service from out waiter Matthew. Will come back again. Fries were delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- okay place to eatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/29/2013Food expensive and just okay. Nice music. No drink list offered.
- Ceviche kingJoeyfatfingersVIPDined on 7/28/2013Made to order ceviche and gourmet fish tacos made this place a brunch destinationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/28/2013Food was just OK, as was the service. I don't regret going, but I'm in no rush to go back.
- A downtown gemOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/23/2013I have eaten at Chaplos for both brunch and lunch. Both times I found the food to be very good, the staff to be exemplary, and the ambience to suit any age group. My husband and I most enjoyed the made to order ceviche at brunch, and the fish sandwich at lunch. I also enjoyed the interesting cocktails! We live downtown and will definitely return.Special Features:
- Great Overallbananasplit5Dined on 6/19/2013I really enjoyed the nice ambiance, friendly service, and tasty food. Good prices and great portions on their food. It was very interesting how the place was classy yet casual. The $5 valet was very nice. Overall, nothing was perfect, but for the food, ambiance, service, and price, it was well worth it! I will come back again... especially for the happy hour!Special Features:
- Delightful throwback, good foodLynnLuvs2eatDined on 6/13/2013I've had lunch here twice now. I love the retro atmosphere with "smoky" music playing and old movies on the TVs. Lunch menu is small and slightly on the high side but everything I've eaten was excellent, so I guess fairly priced for the quality. The tomato soup was outstanding, the mahi-mahi sandwich was excellent including a very good ciabatta bread, I really liked their shoestring fries seasoned just right with good pepper and not too much salt. Servers were very friendly and helpful. It's also a great place for take-out as they pack everything very well and are really helpful about getting the timing right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprising GemTheBeveDined on 6/7/2013Went here to use a coupon deal and was pleasantly surprised! The decor is great, the ambience lovely, and the food was heavenly. Service was sort of slow, but maybe we came at a busy time? Our food took a little while, but they offered us dessert as an apology, and it was the best tasting apology ever! My husband could not stop exclaiming while eating the steak & mashed potatoes dish, and my lamb was delicious as well. The caprese flatbread was incredible, and the berry crisp was out of this world! Would definitely recommend for the food experience!Special Features:
- Unexpectedly, didn't realizeilovefoodVIPDined on 6/2/2013Unexpectedly, didn't realize that they offered a Sunday brunch. Menu includes the traditional American fare, but we were more excited about the ceviche and chilaquiles bar. You had your choice of either a mole or red sauce on the chilaquiles. Both were delicious. Our favorite though was the ceviche bar. Chaplos was also a beautifully decorated restaurant with a great vibe and service. Can't wait to go back for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/28/2013This is about the 4th time we've eaten at Chaplos and they have all been great. It's kind of out of the way but has great food and service and a really cool atmosphere. Will be going back again soon!Special Features: