126 Clement St
San Francisco, CA 94118Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chapeausf.com/
- Phone: (415) 750-9787
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Philippe Gardelle
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact the restaurant directly for details.
- Private Party Contact: Ellen Gardelle (415)750-9787 x
- Special Events: Valentine's Day - Bastille Day
A word from Chapeau
Classic style reminiscent of a Parisian restaurant. The service and ambiance are what you would find at a more expensive white-tablecloth restaurant and the food is a bargain.Continued
Check out our early bird $36.95 between 5 PM & 6 PM
Check out our early bird $36.95 between 5 PM & 6 PM
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Chapeau - Best Restaurants in Richmond District ›
Chapeau reviews from OpenTable diners
200 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (141)neighborhood gem (122)special occasion (121)romantic (89)notable wine list (76)good for groups (19)hot spot (16)late-night find (8)vibrant bar scene (8)kid-friendly (4)great for lunch (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Horrible service, mediocre/overpriced French foodDelusionalDudeDined on 11/20/2014I had not been to chapeau in many years. I recall my previous experiences being decent. But time devours all. Despite making reservations well in advance, Seating was cramped, even after complaining twice and getting a minor adjustment in seating. The waiter was horribly inattentive--- we waited far too long for drinks; between courses; even waiting for the check took forever after asking for it three times. Then came the real shocker:$900 before tip for 7! Something approaching Garry Danko prices should at least taste good. Unfortunately, the sweetbreads were dry and flavorless, the scallops were over cooked and rubbery, and one of the $130 steaks was overcooked. One of the worst dining experiences in recent memory. I only wish we could get those excruciatingly long four hours (!) back.
- Wish I could be in FranceFussyDinerDined on 11/18/2014Food was disappointing. My cod did not smell fresh. I remember a much better meal on my last visit a year ago. Service not up to par for San Francisco standards. I think it best for me to eat French food only in France, where everything is really delicious.
- Great BistroDoBeeVIPDined on 11/16/2014This restaurant was recommended by a friend in SF and it didn't disappoint. We were greeted by the chef owner, so warm and lovely. While the atmosphere was lively, we could have a comfortable conversation. The food was delicious, nicely presented. I asked for something off the menu and was warmly accommodated. This is a gem in a restaurant city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely a neighborhood gemmstreesaDined on 11/15/2014I love that this place serves top notch food without carrying a stuffy ambiance requiring you to be fully dressed up--especially important given that I am over 7 months pregnant and have a limited wardrobe selection. I haven't been to Chapeau! in many years and wasn't sure what to expect so was very pleased with the excellent service and food. Everything that I put into my mouth was excellent. Service was definitely that of a 5-star (or at least 4-star) restaurant. I loved the nice, intimate setting, which is great if all parties dining were small. However, we had a huge party seated next to us during our dinner and they were not exactly considerate of the compacted space between tables. That was the only negative but is not the restaurant's fault.Special Features:
- Better and betterlutkeDined on 11/13/2014We've been dining at Chapeau for years and they just keep getting better and better. We had two "birthday boys" in our group (one 95, the other 83) and they put candles on the desserts without being asked. They also added an extra dessert gratis. The prices have gone up a bit but the food and service are worth it. Try to get an end table because it gets pretty noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Food and WaiterOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/12/2014I've had a mixed feeling about the restaurant. I was taking my mother and her friend for dinner. The best part of the restaurant is creative food and attentive waiter. However, there were way to many tables and some elderly people were having difficulty walking narrow space between tables. When we got there, the table was not ready with sufficient chairs and utensils, although we've made an advanced reservation. The table was so small for three people as well. The price was moderate for French Restaurant. I would say go for the food but not for ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant without being stuffyOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/11/2014This restaurant has excellent French food that is updated and delicious. The service is impeccable and the atmosphere is elegant but relaxed. I highly recommend it!Special Features:
- WonderfulDavidlillianVIPDined on 11/11/2014A wonderful restaurant in San Francisco. As visitors on holiday we were treated as old friends. The owner went out of his way to treat us very very well, the hostess could not have been more helpful and nice, and our service lady was just great. Food was superb. We had oysters and prawns to start, our mains were the pork tenderloin and skate. Dessert was crime brûlée and the lemon tart. All paired with a nice Chablis. After dinner as we were on the street leaving the owner came out to say goodbye and to make sure we knew exactly where to go to get a bus back to Union Square. Go if you haven't. It is very very good and we highly recommend itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely French Restaurant ExperienceLovinglifesfDined on 11/10/2014Our first time here for our anniversary. Seated and waited upon by the owner. Staff were friendly and attentive. Ambiance was perfectly French. And the food - and wine - was excellent! A true neighborhood gem, off the beaten track of downtown and hip locations. You will enjoy your dining experience here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OMG!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/1/2014We were celebrating an anniversary, and wanted a memorable dinner. Couldn't have asked for a better result. We were staying at the Inn at the Presedio and were hoping to find a dining spot close by, and happened upon Chapeau on the internet. Service, ambiance, food, and wine. As indicated, this location was OUTSTANDING. Reservations a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the best value/experiencePam90Dined on 10/27/2014We spent a long weekend in San Francisco for our Anniversary, and Chapeau was BY FAR the best value/experience of the whole visit. The welcome was the warmest we have had at any restaurant, the service was superb and the food ... amazing! We will be recommending to anyone who will listen!Special Features:
- it was okayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014The waiter took way too long to serve us. He took about 30 minutes to take our orders.Special Features:
- B-day dinnerBitterfishDined on 10/23/2014Very nice restaurant with creative dishes. Family atmosphere with style.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A French GemFood4thoughtVIPDined on 10/23/2014Excellent food, wine, and service. The sweetbreads were cooked perfectly, the cassoulet hot and delicious, and their take on baked Alaska, superb. The wine list is good with a lot of affordable bottles. The fact that the chef/owner comes out frequently to check on the dining room and chat with guests is nice, especially because it wasn't just a "hi, how you doing, enjoy your evening" chat. Would recommend this place for anyone looking to enjoy a good french meal with some tasty wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful way to spend an eveningNoletagirlDined on 10/21/2014All expectations were exceeded, especially the impeccable service. Bread was warm and fresh, water was replenished, correct wine glasses provided, and the waiters actually spoke French! The party dining next to us actually were French. Food was served piping hot in a timely manner. Looking forward to going back on next visit to SFSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chapeau lovely as everMabbyDined on 10/21/2014We enjoyed Chapeau. It is our favorite special occasion restaurant. It's consistently good with excellent service.Special Features:
- Great French restaurantTom1VIPDined on 10/12/2014Excellent and creative French food. Friendly staff and even a personal greeting from the chef, owner. The appetizers, entrees and desserts were all delicious and beautifully presented. A nice touch was a small cup of tasty soup to start. Wine list is also adequate and we enjoyed a very nice Chateau neuf.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great early bird prix fixeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/12/2014Such a great bargain for the early bird prix fixe menu. $36-39 for a 3 fantastic courses. Exceptional service.Special Features:
- Nice but loudElsieVIPDined on 10/5/2014Good food, nice service but the table next to you is right on top of you. Confusing menu choices which seemed to offer good value for early worms.Special Features:
- Parlez-vousCaymanmama43VIPDined on 10/5/2014A great French meal. Gracious host and attentive waiter. We were early but were seated right away, the only people there. By the time we left there was not a table there and everyone seemed to be happy.Special Features:
- Great but noisywinecook1Dined on 10/3/2014the food is outstanding. Party of six and all the dishes were top rate. The winner was either the filet or the lamb take your pick you can't go wrong. The appetizers were really good. and the desserts were to die for. Go late as the noise level diminished. It is not cheep but well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I can't hear what I am eating.NickNameDined on 10/3/2014Much too noisy. Much too nooooooooiiiiiiiiissssssssyyyyyyy.Special Features:
- You have to experience this place!chuckDined on 10/2/2014Best French Food! Best specials! Best service Best wine pairing! This is definitely one u will put on your go to list on a more frequent basis!! 😘Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hotchiliDined on 10/2/2014Great food, great service, fun get together with friends,not inexpensive but worth it. Special Occasions here will be remembered. Server was attentive but not overbearing, never felt rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful meal.disappointedDined on 10/2/2014Enjoyed the meal. Had the prix fixe. Would recommend it.Special Features:
- special placejsr1Dined on 10/1/2014Chapeau was a great choice for my wife and I to celebrate our anniversary. Mellow, comfortable ambience, great service, and we loved the food. We had the bouillabaisse and cassoulet, onion soup and heirloom tomato salad. Our server paired them with a couple of nice wines. Chapeau has the option to order by Menu 1, 2, or 3 (combine selections for some savngs) or ala carte. That's nice. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Still great food, service slippedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/1/2014I first visited Chapeau! Perhaps 10 years ago when it was in its previous, very small location. The current place is much larger and fairly comfortable, but I have to wonder whether the expansion has stretched the service capabilities too far. In my case, our group waited 25 minutes after receiving our menus until we saw any staff. I appreciate not being pressured for time, but the entire evening ended up lasting an hour longer than expected because there was a wait to order drinks, another wait to order food, and so on. The food continues to be creative, well presented and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing ExperiencedreinsdoDined on 9/29/2014Amazing service and food! Great menu selection and portion size from price fixed menu. I love high quality food, and I am typically disappointed with the small portion sizes and fine dining restaurants. Chapeau has it all. I look forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/27/2014Not a Fleur De Lis bnnbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbBbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
- Outstanding French dining!FoodyoneVIPDined on 9/27/2014I cannot praise Chapeau enough....everything we tasted was superb....from the trio of salmon appetizer, the onion soup, the scallop special, to the halibut and the cassoulet! Desserts were also amazing.....particularly the French toast! The service was equally brilliant.....friendly, knowledgeable and helpful....a true professional. Chapeau deserves its well earned reputation as one of the very best!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs new floor planMacroosterVIPDined on 9/23/2014Enjoyed a delightful meal at Chapeau! This was our first time here as it is quite difficult to get a reservation. I was so terribly disappointed when I walked in and saw the horrible layout with the banquette stretching along the wall and a row of two tops with one person with their back to the restaurant. In all honesty, it should be called the communal table. Next time I go, which I most certainly will, I will request a specific table. The second thing that was uncomfortable was the Early Bird crowd. The waiters were slammed getting the orders in and we just wanted to order an aperitif! BUT, after all that, the food was AMAZING and our waiter was charming after he was finished with the Early Bird rush. Looking forward to my next visit.Special Features:
- Superb classic French cuisineRobinVIPDined on 9/21/2014This was our first visit and we loved it. The chef owner met us at the door. The cocktails were perfectly created. The food was delicious. The service was very good with payment on an iPad with Square on the spot. Tables are close together, so no revealing intimate secrets!Special Features:
- A Great FindQueenVIPDined on 9/21/2014The food, the service was top notch. What a great French Restaurant. Now I know why you need to make reservation in advance!!! This is no secret and quite a few people knows this is a great French Restaurant. It was worth the wait to find an evening to have dinner here. Try Chapeau would will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/21/2014It is always a pleasure to dine at Chapeau. It is low key and intimate and an incredible value, especially their prix fixe menus. The food is sophisticated, and so is the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Food in SFKikaDined on 9/17/2014The food and atmosphere at this restaurant is incredible. We love coming here!Special Features:
- Will be back for more...OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/13/2014Terrific dining experience. We shared the escargot, day scallops, lamb, pork tenderloin, and finished up with chocolate cake. All of the dishes exceeded our expectations, each having a memorable sauce with rich flavors. We sat at a booth in the back corner and found the space to be intimate yet good for people watching. Tables at the front of the restaurant may require you to rub elbows with your neighbors, but you'll want to see what's coming out of the kitchen anyway. The wine & port were fine. Only negative was that the coffee was warm, not piping hot. The chef made a point of saying hello before, during, and after our dinner. He is a charming and friendly man, who is doing outstanding things in his kitchen.Special Features:
- Very good food and serviceJimmyBillDined on 9/13/2014Four of us had dinner last weekend. Owner/chef was very welcoming and service was very attentive. We were at a table with server traffic behind us, asked for a different table--no problem. One of us had read about a duck entree on their website. No longer on the menu--no problem. Two of us enjoyed duck breast (there apparently was another small duck dish on the original entree, but they obviously went out of their way to give us a duck entree at all). I had the heirloom tomatoes and a taste of my wife's salad with fried brie and her beef filet, all delicious. My duck breast was perfectly done with an excellent sauce, rich, but only very slightly sweet. Very good experience overall.Special Features:
- Chapeau a all around StarPinchasDined on 9/13/2014This is our second time eating at Chapeau this year. It is an all around 5 star restaurant. Excellent service, beautiful decor, and top quality food at a reasonable price. My only note for improvement is that when the restaurant is filled it is very noisy. If the tables were set slightly farther away from each other that might help a bit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PipiDined on 9/10/2014I love this place, food is good, service is good. Highly recommend !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/9/2014I have been to Chapeau multiple times. The food is consistently good and service excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.