126 Clement St
San Francisco, CA 94118Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chapeausf.com/
- Phone: 4157509787x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Philippe Gardelle
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact the restaurant directly for details.
- Private Party Contact: Ellen Gardelle (415)750-9787 x
- Special Events: Valentine's Day - Bastille Day
A word from Chapeau
Classic style reminiscent of a Parisian restaurant. The service and ambiance are what you would find at a more expensive white-tablecloth restaurant and the food is a bargain.Continued
Check out our early bird $36.95 between 5 PM & 6 PM
Check out our early bird $36.95 between 5 PM & 6 PM
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Chapeau - Best Restaurants in Richmond District ›
Chapeau reviews from OpenTable diners
198 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (135)special occasion (130)neighborhood gem (126)romantic (96)notable wine list (69)good for groups (14)hot spot (11)late-night find (8)vibrant bar scene (6)great for lunch (3)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Great French restaurantTom1VIPDined on 10/12/2014Excellent and creative French food. Friendly staff and even a personal greeting from the chef, owner. The appetizers, entrees and desserts were all delicious and beautifully presented. A nice touch was a small cup of tasty soup to start. Wine list is also adequate and we enjoyed a very nice Chateau neuf.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great early bird prix fixeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/12/2014Such a great bargain for the early bird prix fixe menu. $36-39 for a 3 fantastic courses. Exceptional service.Special Features:
- Nice but loudElsieVIPDined on 10/5/2014Good food, nice service but the table next to you is right on top of you. Confusing menu choices which seemed to offer good value for early worms.Special Features:
- Parlez-vousCaymanmama43VIPDined on 10/5/2014A great French meal. Gracious host and attentive waiter. We were early but were seated right away, the only people there. By the time we left there was not a table there and everyone seemed to be happy.Special Features:
- Great but noisywinecook1Dined on 10/3/2014the food is outstanding. Party of six and all the dishes were top rate. The winner was either the filet or the lamb take your pick you can't go wrong. The appetizers were really good. and the desserts were to die for. Go late as the noise level diminished. It is not cheep but well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I can't hear what I am eating.NickNameDined on 10/3/2014Much too noisy. Much too nooooooooiiiiiiiiissssssssyyyyyyy.Special Features:
- You have to experience this place!chuckDined on 10/2/2014Best French Food! Best specials! Best service Best wine pairing! This is definitely one u will put on your go to list on a more frequent basis!! 😘Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful meal.disappointedDined on 10/2/2014Enjoyed the meal. Had the prix fixe. Would recommend it.Special Features:
- special placejsr1Dined on 10/1/2014Chapeau was a great choice for my wife and I to celebrate our anniversary. Mellow, comfortable ambience, great service, and we loved the food. We had the bouillabaisse and cassoulet, onion soup and heirloom tomato salad. Our server paired them with a couple of nice wines. Chapeau has the option to order by Menu 1, 2, or 3 (combine selections for some savngs) or ala carte. That's nice. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Still great food, service slippedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/1/2014I first visited Chapeau! Perhaps 10 years ago when it was in its previous, very small location. The current place is much larger and fairly comfortable, but I have to wonder whether the expansion has stretched the service capabilities too far. In my case, our group waited 25 minutes after receiving our menus until we saw any staff. I appreciate not being pressured for time, but the entire evening ended up lasting an hour longer than expected because there was a wait to order drinks, another wait to order food, and so on. The food continues to be creative, well presented and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing ExperiencedreinsdoDined on 9/29/2014Amazing service and food! Great menu selection and portion size from price fixed menu. I love high quality food, and I am typically disappointed with the small portion sizes and fine dining restaurants. Chapeau has it all. I look forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/27/2014Not a Fleur De Lis bnnbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbBbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
- Outstanding French dining!FoodyoneVIPDined on 9/27/2014I cannot praise Chapeau enough....everything we tasted was superb....from the trio of salmon appetizer, the onion soup, the scallop special, to the halibut and the cassoulet! Desserts were also amazing.....particularly the French toast! The service was equally brilliant.....friendly, knowledgeable and helpful....a true professional. Chapeau deserves its well earned reputation as one of the very best!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs new floor planMacroosterVIPDined on 9/23/2014Enjoyed a delightful meal at Chapeau! This was our first time here as it is quite difficult to get a reservation. I was so terribly disappointed when I walked in and saw the horrible layout with the banquette stretching along the wall and a row of two tops with one person with their back to the restaurant. In all honesty, it should be called the communal table. Next time I go, which I most certainly will, I will request a specific table. The second thing that was uncomfortable was the Early Bird crowd. The waiters were slammed getting the orders in and we just wanted to order an aperitif! BUT, after all that, the food was AMAZING and our waiter was charming after he was finished with the Early Bird rush. Looking forward to my next visit.Special Features:
- Superb classic French cuisineRobinVIPDined on 9/21/2014This was our first visit and we loved it. The chef owner met us at the door. The cocktails were perfectly created. The food was delicious. The service was very good with payment on an iPad with Square on the spot. Tables are close together, so no revealing intimate secrets!Special Features:
- A Great FindQueenVIPDined on 9/21/2014The food, the service was top notch. What a great French Restaurant. Now I know why you need to make reservation in advance!!! This is no secret and quite a few people knows this is a great French Restaurant. It was worth the wait to find an evening to have dinner here. Try Chapeau would will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/21/2014It is always a pleasure to dine at Chapeau. It is low key and intimate and an incredible value, especially their prix fixe menus. The food is sophisticated, and so is the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Food in SFKikaDined on 9/17/2014The food and atmosphere at this restaurant is incredible. We love coming here!Special Features:
- Will be back for more...OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/13/2014Terrific dining experience. We shared the escargot, day scallops, lamb, pork tenderloin, and finished up with chocolate cake. All of the dishes exceeded our expectations, each having a memorable sauce with rich flavors. We sat at a booth in the back corner and found the space to be intimate yet good for people watching. Tables at the front of the restaurant may require you to rub elbows with your neighbors, but you'll want to see what's coming out of the kitchen anyway. The wine & port were fine. Only negative was that the coffee was warm, not piping hot. The chef made a point of saying hello before, during, and after our dinner. He is a charming and friendly man, who is doing outstanding things in his kitchen.Special Features:
- Very good food and serviceJimmyBillDined on 9/13/2014Four of us had dinner last weekend. Owner/chef was very welcoming and service was very attentive. We were at a table with server traffic behind us, asked for a different table--no problem. One of us had read about a duck entree on their website. No longer on the menu--no problem. Two of us enjoyed duck breast (there apparently was another small duck dish on the original entree, but they obviously went out of their way to give us a duck entree at all). I had the heirloom tomatoes and a taste of my wife's salad with fried brie and her beef filet, all delicious. My duck breast was perfectly done with an excellent sauce, rich, but only very slightly sweet. Very good experience overall.Special Features:
- Chapeau a all around StarPinchasDined on 9/13/2014This is our second time eating at Chapeau this year. It is an all around 5 star restaurant. Excellent service, beautiful decor, and top quality food at a reasonable price. My only note for improvement is that when the restaurant is filled it is very noisy. If the tables were set slightly farther away from each other that might help a bit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PipiDined on 9/10/2014I love this place, food is good, service is good. Highly recommend !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/9/2014I have been to Chapeau multiple times. The food is consistently good and service excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- San Francsco gem.TubbyTDined on 9/9/2014We have been to Chapeau multiple times, and it has always been most enjoyable. The service is always pleasant, and the food is always outstanding. I love taking out of town visitors to this San Francisco gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb customer serviceeatoutnowDined on 9/5/2014Twice I've been here and the service is still impeccable. The chef himself walks the floor and greets every guest at the door and at their table. He is courteous to patron's diet needs and will in-person explain the dish ingredients and how it is prepared, if asked. This attitude is extended through the rest of the staff. The menu allows for 3-or-4 course or standalone selections. However, twice being here, the entree flavors are bit too salty/rich for me. I do love the escargot appetizer and the cauliflower white truffle drink to cleanse your palette given at the beginning of the meal.Special Features:
- Another wonderful dinnerLKimDined on 9/4/2014We have been coming to Chapeau! for special occasions for many years. The service is always friendly and attentive. The food is fantastic. We have never had a dish we didn't enjoy. Chapeau! is definitely a great restaurant.Special Features:
- Scrumptious FoodglueDined on 9/3/2014My second time at Chapeau did not disappoint. Five of us got together to celebrate two birthdays and were nestled into a corner location which was perfect for conversation, gift giving and lots of laughs. Everyone was very pleased with their choice of entree which ranged from skate, to sea bass to pork tenderloin wrapped in bacon and surrounded by a parsnip puree. Profiteroles and a trio of sherbets completed the meal. Service was excellent. Look forward to my next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Night outsuaveDined on 9/2/2014We went here to celebrate a special occasion and I wanted it to be perfect. I had flowers delivered to the restaurant and when we got there, everyone was welcoming. But we had a table at a corner between two other tables so it was a bit cramped and when we were trying to figure out what wines to order, our server was never around and it took a good ten or so minutes to order. He wasn't really attentive to our table and that's not what I expect from a restaurant like this especially for what we were paying. We ordered a four course with food i don't remember, a bottle of wine and a side of escargots. Other than service, the food was good, the escargots really stood out to me and the wine that one of the staff recommended fit perfectly.Special Features:
- Isabel415VIPDined on 8/30/2014The noise level was beyond loud. We had to yell to speak to each other and we just decided to look at each other and smile. We could not hear. Awful. Will not go back. The first course (heirloom tomato composed salad) was not editable for me. The tomatoes seem like that had been sliced and keep in the refrig. My second course was good. All four of us will not go back.
- Best Restaurant in the RichmondDebduendeVIPDined on 8/26/2014Hands down just the best restaurant for French food in the Richmond District. Lovely decor, excellent food, and friendly and knowledgeable staff. Never have to worry about having a great meal and a wonderful time here.Special Features:
- ORACLEDined on 8/24/2014Chapeau! is one of our favorite French restaurants in San Francisco. Tonight the braised lamb shank was extraordinary We have never been disappointed hereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chapeau!HoneybeeDined on 8/23/2014Lovely food, absolutely delicious. Service started off strong...but as the night went on and it was nearing closing, the service tapered off and became poor, with various servers coming by in disorganized chaos. A surprise for a highly zagat rated restaurant. The ambiance could use updating; drab green carpet and peeling paint were also a surprise for such a recommended SF neighborhood gem. They did not play any music - which would add at least a bit more ambiance alongside the wonderful food. The bill is delivered in a hat. While this may seem a creative touch, it actually came across as tacky; it's just a receipt in a hat without anything else clever. With a few touch ups, this place could dazzle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little bit of FranceDivadadDined on 8/20/2014Wonderful food efficient unobtrusive service and a very good wine list. A really wonderful dinner. All at a good valueSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent French CuisineSteveSFVIPDined on 8/19/2014Chapeau is still a delight - extremely high-quality food, excellent wine list, attentive but not hovering service. Great for a date night!Special Features:
- Absolutely OutstandingclrhoVIPDined on 8/18/2014This was our first time here and we chose to do the Main 3 and Main 4 plus a bottle of the most delicious French wine. It was worth the bill at the end. You cannot go wrong here!Special Features:
- Love ChapeaushakefuVIPDined on 8/15/2014This is one of my favorite french restaurants in the city. Staff is super professional, polite and friendly. Food is exquisite. Zero complaints, and nothing but praise!Special Features:
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/12/2014The food was very good, I ate Halibut fish and profiteroles - loved it :-)Special Features:
- delicious food. recommendeddinegalDined on 8/12/2014Hopping busy on a Tuesday night speaks for the following of Oh Chapeau, its owner and solid french cuisine. Delicious Corn soup and sweetbreads filled my plates more than amply. Not one complaint about the food at our table. Very good. We sat in the cherished raised table in the front corner of the bar which is in my opinion quieter than the rest of the restaurant. I cannot speak for the noise level there. The bar is set for eating, so the noise level is not what one might expect. Service was only fair,waiter did not allow wine time to breathe despite our request; second bottle arrived arrived after the mains, although requested to arrive before. Pre-dinner drink, fine complany & Chapeau's solid food offset those complaints.Special Features:
- Wonderful special occasion dinnerAjalisDined on 8/12/2014We ate dinner here for a special occasion and thoroughly enjoyed our experience. We had the early bird menu, which was great value for money and left us both feeling very full- the salad in particular had to be the best salad I've had for a long time. When our waiter found out it was a special occasion for us, our dessert came out with candles which was a very nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great experienceSFFoodLoverVIPDined on 8/11/2014For the 13th year in a row, my daughter and I celebrated her birthday here. This was her 21st and Chapeau! made it special. The food was great, they brought an extra dessert for her, knowing that she loves crème brulee but didn't order it, and greeted her warmly and with a lot of attention.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.