126 Clement St
San Francisco, CA 94118Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chapeausf.com/
- Phone: 4157509787x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Philippe Gardelle
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact the restaurant directly for details.
- Private Party Contact: Ellen Gardelle (415)750-9787 x
- Special Events: Valentine's Day - Bastille Day
A word from Chapeau
Classic style reminiscent of a Parisian restaurant. The service and ambiance are what you would find at a more expensive white-tablecloth restaurant and the food is a bargain.Continued
Check out our early bird $36.95 between 5 PM & 6 PM
Check out our early bird $36.95 between 5 PM & 6 PM
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Chapeau - Best Restaurants in Richmond District ›
Chapeau reviews from OpenTable diners
212 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (144)special occasion (143)fit for foodies (140)romantic (118)notable wine list (69)good for groups (16)hot spot (15)late-night find (10)kid-friendly (5)great for lunch (5)great for brunch (4)vibrant bar scene (4)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Best Food in SFOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014The food and atmosphere at this restaurant is incredible. We love coming here!Special Features:
- Will be back for more...OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/13/2014Terrific dining experience. We shared the escargot, day scallops, lamb, pork tenderloin, and finished up with chocolate cake. All of the dishes exceeded our expectations, each having a memorable sauce with rich flavors. We sat at a booth in the back corner and found the space to be intimate yet good for people watching. Tables at the front of the restaurant may require you to rub elbows with your neighbors, but you'll want to see what's coming out of the kitchen anyway. The wine & port were fine. Only negative was that the coffee was warm, not piping hot. The chef made a point of saying hello before, during, and after our dinner. He is a charming and friendly man, who is doing outstanding things in his kitchen.Special Features:
- Very good food and serviceJimmyBillDined on 9/13/2014Four of us had dinner last weekend. Owner/chef was very welcoming and service was very attentive. We were at a table with server traffic behind us, asked for a different table--no problem. One of us had read about a duck entree on their website. No longer on the menu--no problem. Two of us enjoyed duck breast (there apparently was another small duck dish on the original entree, but they obviously went out of their way to give us a duck entree at all). I had the heirloom tomatoes and a taste of my wife's salad with fried brie and her beef filet, all delicious. My duck breast was perfectly done with an excellent sauce, rich, but only very slightly sweet. Very good experience overall.Special Features:
- Chapeau a all around StarPinchasDined on 9/13/2014This is our second time eating at Chapeau this year. It is an all around 5 star restaurant. Excellent service, beautiful decor, and top quality food at a reasonable price. My only note for improvement is that when the restaurant is filled it is very noisy. If the tables were set slightly farther away from each other that might help a bit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PipiDined on 9/10/2014I love this place, food is good, service is good. Highly recommend !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/9/2014I have been to Chapeau multiple times. The food is consistently good and service excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- San Francsco gem.TubbyTDined on 9/9/2014We have been to Chapeau multiple times, and it has always been most enjoyable. The service is always pleasant, and the food is always outstanding. I love taking out of town visitors to this San Francisco gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb customer serviceeatoutnowDined on 9/5/2014Twice I've been here and the service is still impeccable. The chef himself walks the floor and greets every guest at the door and at their table. He is courteous to patron's diet needs and will in-person explain the dish ingredients and how it is prepared, if asked. This attitude is extended through the rest of the staff. The menu allows for 3-or-4 course or standalone selections. However, twice being here, the entree flavors are bit too salty/rich for me. I do love the escargot appetizer and the cauliflower white truffle drink to cleanse your palette given at the beginning of the meal.Special Features:
- Another wonderful dinnerLKimDined on 9/4/2014We have been coming to Chapeau! for special occasions for many years. The service is always friendly and attentive. The food is fantastic. We have never had a dish we didn't enjoy. Chapeau! is definitely a great restaurant.Special Features:
- Scrumptious FoodglueDined on 9/3/2014My second time at Chapeau did not disappoint. Five of us got together to celebrate two birthdays and were nestled into a corner location which was perfect for conversation, gift giving and lots of laughs. Everyone was very pleased with their choice of entree which ranged from skate, to sea bass to pork tenderloin wrapped in bacon and surrounded by a parsnip puree. Profiteroles and a trio of sherbets completed the meal. Service was excellent. Look forward to my next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Isabel415VIPDined on 8/30/2014The noise level was beyond loud. We had to yell to speak to each other and we just decided to look at each other and smile. We could not hear. Awful. Will not go back. The first course (heirloom tomato composed salad) was not editable for me. The tomatoes seem like that had been sliced and keep in the refrig. My second course was good. All four of us will not go back.
- Best Restaurant in the RichmondDebduendeVIPDined on 8/26/2014Hands down just the best restaurant for French food in the Richmond District. Lovely decor, excellent food, and friendly and knowledgeable staff. Never have to worry about having a great meal and a wonderful time here.Special Features:
- ORACLEDined on 8/24/2014Chapeau! is one of our favorite French restaurants in San Francisco. Tonight the braised lamb shank was extraordinary We have never been disappointed hereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chapeau!HoneybeeDined on 8/23/2014Lovely food, absolutely delicious. Service started off strong...but as the night went on and it was nearing closing, the service tapered off and became poor, with various servers coming by in disorganized chaos. A surprise for a highly zagat rated restaurant. The ambiance could use updating; drab green carpet and peeling paint were also a surprise for such a recommended SF neighborhood gem. They did not play any music - which would add at least a bit more ambiance alongside the wonderful food. The bill is delivered in a hat. While this may seem a creative touch, it actually came across as tacky; it's just a receipt in a hat without anything else clever. With a few touch ups, this place could dazzle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little bit of FranceDivadadDined on 8/20/2014Wonderful food efficient unobtrusive service and a very good wine list. A really wonderful dinner. All at a good valueSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent French CuisineSteveSFVIPDined on 8/19/2014Chapeau is still a delight - extremely high-quality food, excellent wine list, attentive but not hovering service. Great for a date night!Special Features:
- Absolutely OutstandingclrhoVIPDined on 8/18/2014This was our first time here and we chose to do the Main 3 and Main 4 plus a bottle of the most delicious French wine. It was worth the bill at the end. You cannot go wrong here!Special Features:
- Love ChapeaushakefuVIPDined on 8/15/2014This is one of my favorite french restaurants in the city. Staff is super professional, polite and friendly. Food is exquisite. Zero complaints, and nothing but praise!Special Features:
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/12/2014The food was very good, I ate Halibut fish and profiteroles - loved it :-)Special Features:
- delicious food. recommendeddinegalDined on 8/12/2014Hopping busy on a Tuesday night speaks for the following of Oh Chapeau, its owner and solid french cuisine. Delicious Corn soup and sweetbreads filled my plates more than amply. Not one complaint about the food at our table. Very good. We sat in the cherished raised table in the front corner of the bar which is in my opinion quieter than the rest of the restaurant. I cannot speak for the noise level there. The bar is set for eating, so the noise level is not what one might expect. Service was only fair,waiter did not allow wine time to breathe despite our request; second bottle arrived arrived after the mains, although requested to arrive before. Pre-dinner drink, fine complany & Chapeau's solid food offset those complaints.Special Features:
- Wonderful special occasion dinnerAjalisDined on 8/12/2014We ate dinner here for a special occasion and thoroughly enjoyed our experience. We had the early bird menu, which was great value for money and left us both feeling very full- the salad in particular had to be the best salad I've had for a long time. When our waiter found out it was a special occasion for us, our dessert came out with candles which was a very nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great experienceSFFoodLoverVIPDined on 8/11/2014For the 13th year in a row, my daughter and I celebrated her birthday here. This was her 21st and Chapeau! made it special. The food was great, they brought an extra dessert for her, knowing that she loves crème brulee but didn't order it, and greeted her warmly and with a lot of attention.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful, as always!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/11/2014We come from Texas at least once a year and always go to Chapeau. The staff and good are always absolutely wonderful. A must for anyone in San Fransisco!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best in the RichmondAH24Dined on 8/10/2014Fantastic food, solid wine list, and Classic French hospitality from Philippe and the rest of the staff; always a pleasure to dine here.Special Features:
- Charming neighborhood French BistroJadeGal2Dined on 8/9/2014I have always enjoyed Chapeau's food, service, and ambiance since their prior location on Clement and 15th Ave., so I have been wanting to dine at their new location on clement and 2nd Ave. Chapeau did not disappoint. The place was bustling and reminds me of being in Paris again. We had the 3 course menu which started with a demitasse cup of tomato soup. The wine selection completed the menu quite well. Service was attentive not intrusive. The execution of the dishes was excellent and food flavorful as always remembered. A top quality and great neighborhood dining destination.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic bistro in the AvenuescnalscVIPDined on 8/8/2014Located in the dearly departed Alain Rondelli (formerly St. Tropez), Chapeau is a lively, crowed French bistro with classic French dishes. We arrived for a late Friday dinner (parking is a problem) but were immediately seated. Service staff is pushed and it took a while to get our champagne but once the food started coming, all was forgotten. The mesculen salad with grapes and fried cambembert; the skate with brown butter, the striped bass were all fabulous; the French toast and profiteroles for dessert were an excellent way to end the evening. Great wine list. It’s very cramped and noisy but a real gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good local spotMiguelpaDined on 8/6/2014Excellent😜 food, best after a long walking day, no tourist the best!! Pasta was perfect, my kids loved it, my daughter had an special veggie pasta made at the requestSpecial Features:
- A wonderful dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/6/2014Chapeau never fails to provide a wonderful dining experience. We were welcomed warmly by Ellen and treated wonderfully well. The food was outstanding. This is one of our very favorite SF restaurants.Special Features:
- Birthday celebrationSharkfinDined on 8/6/2014Entree choices were good for early bird price! Escargot and creme brulee were delicious! Service was unobtrusive while attentive. Appreciate the soft music--was able to have conversation without straining! All four of us will dine again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Excellent ChoiceBubbaDined on 8/5/2014The food at Chapeau is exquisite. On our recent visit, we had the salmon and the skate king. Both were delicious, as was the green salad. Service was very attentive. The price of the food is moderate, especially considering that it is gourmet-worthy. The only negative is that the restaurant was somewhat noisier than usual due to a couple of loud customers in the bar area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome ExperienceSornaDined on 8/5/2014Nice food in a good environment. Best place for a dinner date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and ambienceteeQDined on 8/4/2014i made reservation for 530pm so that i can take advantage of the early bird special. my friend and I were greeted by the chef phillipe. it gave us a very good impression of the place already. then we both had the 3 course prix fixe dinner. the escargot is superb. it came out hot, garlicky, and buttery. i had the duck breast. it was moist and tasty. great presentation. my friend had the smoked salmon. it was perfectly done with good smoky flavor. i usually don't like salmon b/c of its fishiness, but not this one. dessert were creme brulee and portiferoles. they are both fine. overall, i enjoy my dinner there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/2/2014My husband and I booked a last minute trip and were surprised we could even get a table. Our reservation was seated about 15 minutes late, but aftera casual drink at the bar, we were in food heaven! We had a 4 course meal, and it brought us back to our Honeymoon in France! Each plate was skillfully prepared, and the drinks were very well made. Recommend the Creme Brulee and the Trou Normand!Special Features:
- Fabulous DiningfrenchbyheartDined on 7/31/2014The food was fabulous. Definitely authentic French cuisine. The owner/chef came to our table several times to check to see if all was going well. He even called for a taxi when we were ready to leave. He kissed my daughter and I on each cheek, as the French do when we were leaving. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone who appreciates fine food and the French experience!Special Features:
- Superb!kbnormanDined on 7/29/2014Top shelf food and excellent service. My wife and I dined here on a Tuesday night during a vacation to San Francisco. Small dining room was nearly full even midweek. The food was very good from soup to dessert. We are neither Francophones nor French food experts so we had some questions about some of the offerings; our waiter was very helpful in guiding us through the options. If you are visiting San Francisco and staying in the more popular tourist and business areas, Chapeau is definitely worth the trip to the Inner Richmond neighborhood.Special Features:
- Really GoodLoureirofamilyDined on 7/25/2014Fantastic food, good service and friendly ambience. I really loveSpecial Features:
- btr2Dined on 7/24/2014The food and its presentation were marvelous. The service attentive, and the owner remembered us even though we had not been since they moved to this location! All 4 of us felt we had the most delicious meal in a long time. We will be back soon.Special Features:
- Excellent food and serviceTom1VIPDined on 7/20/2014A warm welcome as we entered was just the beginning of a lovely evening. The wait staff were incredibly friendly and helpful and most attentive. The food was all excellent and beautifully prepared and presented. We enjoyed the complimentary tomato/basil soup, cheese tart, and duck breast entree. Desert was the highly recommended "French Toast" which was delicious as well. Definitely will return.Special Features:
- Great!LouisekatzDined on 7/15/2014Delicious food, very French. Good service but a little slow. We will be back.Special Features:
- Amazing dining experience!aggieCADined on 7/12/2014I took my wife out to celebrate her birthday at Chapeau! I couldn't be more happier with my choice of the restaurant. The staff went out of their way to make this event really special. My wife ordered the chef's special menu while I went with the 3 course meal that included onion soup, Cassouluet de Toulhouse and French toast for dessert. I rate the food 5 stars while my wife gave it 4 stars which roughly averages to 5 stars. I'm looking forward to going back here and keeping an eye out for Chapeau! on Dine About Town!Special Features: