126 Clement St
San Francisco, CA 94118Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chapeausf.com/
- Phone: 4157509787x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Philippe Gardelle
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact the restaurant directly for details.
- Private Party Contact: Ellen Gardelle (415)750-9787 x
- Special Events: Valentine's Day - Bastille Day
A word from Chapeau
Classic style reminiscent of a Parisian restaurant. The service and ambiance are what you would find at a more expensive white-tablecloth restaurant and the food is a bargain.Continued
Check out our early bird $36.95 between 5 PM & 6 PM
Check out our early bird $36.95 between 5 PM & 6 PM
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Chapeau - Best Restaurants in Richmond District ›
Chapeau reviews from OpenTable diners
198 reviews since April 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (140)special occasion (134)fit for foodies (126)romantic (105)notable wine list (62)hot spot (14)late-night find (10)good for groups (9)kid-friendly (6)vibrant bar scene (5)great for brunch (4)great for lunch (3)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- Excellent French CuisineSteveSFVIPDined on 8/19/2014Chapeau is still a delight - extremely high-quality food, excellent wine list, attentive but not hovering service. Great for a date night!Special Features:
- Love ChapeaushakefuVIPDined on 8/15/2014This is one of my favorite french restaurants in the city. Staff is super professional, polite and friendly. Food is exquisite. Zero complaints, and nothing but praise!Special Features:
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/12/2014The food was very good, I ate Halibut fish and profiteroles - loved it :-)Special Features:
- delicious food. recommendeddinegalDined on 8/12/2014Hopping busy on a Tuesday night speaks for the following of Oh Chapeau, its owner and solid french cuisine. Delicious Corn soup and sweetbreads filled my plates more than amply. Not one complaint about the food at our table. Very good. We sat in the cherished raised table in the front corner of the bar which is in my opinion quieter than the rest of the restaurant. I cannot speak for the noise level there. The bar is set for eating, so the noise level is not what one might expect. Service was only fair,waiter did not allow wine time to breathe despite our request; second bottle arrived arrived after the mains, although requested to arrive before. Pre-dinner drink, fine complany & Chapeau's solid food offset those complaints.Special Features:
- Always a great experienceSFFoodLoverVIPDined on 8/11/2014For the 13th year in a row, my daughter and I celebrated her birthday here. This was her 21st and Chapeau! made it special. The food was great, they brought an extra dessert for her, knowing that she loves crème brulee but didn't order it, and greeted her warmly and with a lot of attention.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful, as always!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/11/2014We come from Texas at least once a year and always go to Chapeau. The staff and good are always absolutely wonderful. A must for anyone in San Fransisco!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best in the RichmondAH24Dined on 8/10/2014Fantastic food, solid wine list, and Classic French hospitality from Philippe and the rest of the staff; always a pleasure to dine here.Special Features:
- Charming neighborhood French BistroJadeGal2Dined on 8/9/2014I have always enjoyed Chapeau's food, service, and ambiance since their prior location on Clement and 15th Ave., so I have been wanting to dine at their new location on clement and 2nd Ave. Chapeau did not disappoint. The place was bustling and reminds me of being in Paris again. We had the 3 course menu which started with a demitasse cup of tomato soup. The wine selection completed the menu quite well. Service was attentive not intrusive. The execution of the dishes was excellent and food flavorful as always remembered. A top quality and great neighborhood dining destination.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic bistro in the AvenuescnalscVIPDined on 8/8/2014Located in the dearly departed Alain Rondelli (formerly St. Tropez), Chapeau is a lively, crowed French bistro with classic French dishes. We arrived for a late Friday dinner (parking is a problem) but were immediately seated. Service staff is pushed and it took a while to get our champagne but once the food started coming, all was forgotten. The mesculen salad with grapes and fried cambembert; the skate with brown butter, the striped bass were all fabulous; the French toast and profiteroles for dessert were an excellent way to end the evening. Great wine list. It’s very cramped and noisy but a real gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good local spotMiguelpaDined on 8/6/2014Excellent😜 food, best after a long walking day, no tourist the best!! Pasta was perfect, my kids loved it, my daughter had an special veggie pasta made at the requestSpecial Features:
- A wonderful dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/6/2014Chapeau never fails to provide a wonderful dining experience. We were welcomed warmly by Ellen and treated wonderfully well. The food was outstanding. This is one of our very favorite SF restaurants.Special Features:
- Birthday celebrationSharkfinDined on 8/6/2014Entree choices were good for early bird price! Escargot and creme brulee were delicious! Service was unobtrusive while attentive. Appreciate the soft music--was able to have conversation without straining! All four of us will dine again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Excellent ChoiceBubbaDined on 8/5/2014The food at Chapeau is exquisite. On our recent visit, we had the salmon and the skate king. Both were delicious, as was the green salad. Service was very attentive. The price of the food is moderate, especially considering that it is gourmet-worthy. The only negative is that the restaurant was somewhat noisier than usual due to a couple of loud customers in the bar area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome ExperienceSornaDined on 8/5/2014Nice food in a good environment. Best place for a dinner date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and ambienceteeQDined on 8/4/2014i made reservation for 530pm so that i can take advantage of the early bird special. my friend and I were greeted by the chef phillipe. it gave us a very good impression of the place already. then we both had the 3 course prix fixe dinner. the escargot is superb. it came out hot, garlicky, and buttery. i had the duck breast. it was moist and tasty. great presentation. my friend had the smoked salmon. it was perfectly done with good smoky flavor. i usually don't like salmon b/c of its fishiness, but not this one. dessert were creme brulee and portiferoles. they are both fine. overall, i enjoy my dinner there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous DiningfrenchbyheartDined on 7/31/2014The food was fabulous. Definitely authentic French cuisine. The owner/chef came to our table several times to check to see if all was going well. He even called for a taxi when we were ready to leave. He kissed my daughter and I on each cheek, as the French do when we were leaving. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone who appreciates fine food and the French experience!Special Features:
- Superb!kbnormanDined on 7/29/2014Top shelf food and excellent service. My wife and I dined here on a Tuesday night during a vacation to San Francisco. Small dining room was nearly full even midweek. The food was very good from soup to dessert. We are neither Francophones nor French food experts so we had some questions about some of the offerings; our waiter was very helpful in guiding us through the options. If you are visiting San Francisco and staying in the more popular tourist and business areas, Chapeau is definitely worth the trip to the Inner Richmond neighborhood.Special Features:
- Really GoodLoureirofamilyDined on 7/25/2014Fantastic food, good service and friendly ambience. I really loveSpecial Features:
- btr2Dined on 7/24/2014The food and its presentation were marvelous. The service attentive, and the owner remembered us even though we had not been since they moved to this location! All 4 of us felt we had the most delicious meal in a long time. We will be back soon.Special Features:
- Excellent food and serviceTom1VIPDined on 7/20/2014A warm welcome as we entered was just the beginning of a lovely evening. The wait staff were incredibly friendly and helpful and most attentive. The food was all excellent and beautifully prepared and presented. We enjoyed the complimentary tomato/basil soup, cheese tart, and duck breast entree. Desert was the highly recommended "French Toast" which was delicious as well. Definitely will return.Special Features:
- Great!LouisekatzDined on 7/15/2014Delicious food, very French. Good service but a little slow. We will be back.Special Features:
- Amazing dining experience!aggieCADined on 7/12/2014I took my wife out to celebrate her birthday at Chapeau! I couldn't be more happier with my choice of the restaurant. The staff went out of their way to make this event really special. My wife ordered the chef's special menu while I went with the 3 course meal that included onion soup, Cassouluet de Toulhouse and French toast for dessert. I rate the food 5 stars while my wife gave it 4 stars which roughly averages to 5 stars. I'm looking forward to going back here and keeping an eye out for Chapeau! on Dine About Town!Special Features:
- OIUTSTANDING!shellimpDined on 7/11/2014I keep going back to this restaurant, and keep bringing guests. It is so good! Everylthing about it is wonderfulSpecial Features:
- Five expression marksthomasVIPDined on 7/9/2014This restaurant always satisfies, and service is truly with a smile.Special Features:
- delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/9/2014We hadn't been to Chapeau in years after moving out of the neighborhood. We were pleased to find that it is still 100% amazing. The food was wonderful - do NOT miss the french toast dessert! My filet was cooked perfectly, everything was wonderful! Accommodating and attentive staff. We need to make more of an effort to get back over to the Richmond!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/30/2014Classic French food no over decorating of plates! Well prepared and plated. Excellent selection of choices.service was friendly and professional. A perfect dinning experience!Special Features:
- Great find for a romantic dateOlgaDined on 6/28/2014My husband and I were in the city for a night out and want to enjoy a desert with coffee we found this incredible spot. We ended up getting wine, onion soup (made to perfection), fish and seafood entre and desert with coffee :) everything tasted amazing and I could feel that the chief put a lot of love and effort into it :) Would definetely come again when we are visiting SF. The chief came to welcome us at the table and when we were leaving. You can definetely see his personality in food and atmospher.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JudyDined on 6/27/2014We love this restaurant and try to go whenever we are in the bay area. The food is always delicious and the service immaculate. There are certain standby items on the menu but also things that are seasonal and new. Reasonable wine prices and food prices for what you get.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- crabycatcrabycatDined on 6/27/2014The truly wonderful and extraordinary aspect of our dining experience at Chapeau was that ALL of the staff, from back servers too Philippe, made us feel as though we had been regulars for years when, in fact, this was our FIRST time through their doors. We had the four course menu with champagne and wine service. Every step was a delight. Our courses were examples of supurb execution and creativity. We will soon return to our new adopted family. You made our night quite wonderful. Thank you to all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food so-so, service insulting...OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/26/2014waiter (Carlos) unpleasant... when ordering asked me if I knew what I was ordering... have NEVER had this experience before.
- After a museum visit…..SuzanneDined on 6/26/2014This is our go-to restaurant for an early dinner after visiting the de Young or Legion art museums. The early bird menu is a great value. The food is excellent and the staff friendly and charming. The only downside is that it gets pretty noisy when the restaurant is full. It is a pretty small place and lots of hard surfaces plus the bar right adjacent to the tables. But, I guess that describes most restaurants these days.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- birthday dinnersffoodieDined on 6/25/2014This is one of my favorite restaurants in san Francisco. the food and service have always been top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but inconsistent.SkongDined on 6/22/2014Second time here. Overall a good experience but the first time was great. Not sure why the inconsistency so I would hesitate in recommending this place for a really special occasion. If one catching them on a good night, their French cuisine is very accessible and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantBirthdayBoyDined on 6/21/2014We celebrated my daughter's 21st birthday here. Her first time at a French restaurant and she loved it. Great fixed price menu! Escargot, sweetbreads were great. The duck entree(s) we're delicious and we have never seen such large portions of crime brûlée. Baked Alaska was perfect and the profiteroles had a chocolate topping on the pastry that was an added touch. Pork tenderloin was good too. We also got the additional scallop on risotto that was magnificent....which we could have tried even more items....there were four of us). Great excuse to come back. Seected this restaurant because of great Yelp! Reviews. Next time we will ask them to make a Grand Marinier soufflé for dessert as they said they can do with several days advance notice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful magnifiqueGallowglassDined on 6/21/2014Marvelous dinner, wonderful staff and great ambiance. It's a neighborhood gem without a doubt - a 5 o'clock reservation is great and you really get to enjoy the extended French style dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic service, serious FrenchSFFoodieDined on 6/18/2014Just a lovely little restaurant with great service. They are very serious about the food, and it's generally delicious. I found the salad dressing and the sauce which comes with the duck to be a bit sweet, but then again I'm very sensitive to that. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- DougDined on 6/17/2014Oysters were delicious. Trio of Salmon was delightful. Bouillabaisse was superb. Cassoulet was very good. We met one of the owners (Ellen) who was extremely friendly and helpful. A really good meal and a nice evening.Special Features:
- great food with friendly serviceFooddummieDined on 6/15/2014came here for DAT dinner. We ordered escargot and tart as appetizers. Both are decent. Bread was warm and soft inside but crunchy outside. Also had pork loin and duck breast as entrees. Pork loin was surprisingly tender and delicious. Duck breast has a bit of asian taste versus french style to me, but it is also very tasty, especially with the sauce. Cream puff ice-cream was nice but a little sweet for me at the end. Would love to go back and try other entrees.Special Features:
- Awesome French foodKimmyVIPDined on 6/15/2014We go here sometimes or occasionally. We love this place. Philipe the owner is very friendly, a great chef. My daughter who is 4 year old and she loves to eat escargot and French onion soup. My husband always orders filet mignon. I loved the sweetbread last time, it was so tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a good French resturantFoodLoverDined on 6/15/2014The food was prepared just right, tender and juicy with wonderful saurce (of cause, that is the hall mark for a gopd French resturant)Special Features: