50, Ave. Laurier O
Montreal, QC H2T2N4Neighborhood:
ThaiPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chao-phraya.com/
- Phone: (514) 272-5339
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday: 17h00 - 22h00
Wednesday: 17h00 - 22h00
Thursday 17h00 - 23h00
Friday: 17h00 - 23h00
Saturday: 17h00 - 23h00
Sunday: 17h00 - 22h00
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Thai
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wine
A word from Chao Phraya
Open since 1988, Chao Phraya was one of the first Thai Restaurants in Montreal to offer the special flavours of Thailand. In fact, Thai food is internationally famous by it distinctive taste and healthy foods. The major ingredients consist of fresh herbs, curry, dried chillis, garlics, coriander roots, lemon grass, shallots, kaffiir lime peel and galanga.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Chao Phraya reviews from OpenTable diners
19 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (10)fit for foodies (7)neighborhood gem (7)special occasion (5)hot spot (5)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (3)romantic (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Great food, not so great serviceMbernier1974Dined on 11/8/2014Food was excellent, not that expensive for the great quality. Service howrver was a bit slow. Took a while before they took our order, took even longer to get the bill. Finished our wine bottle early and were never offered another.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nevers disappointedPhilsarDined on 11/8/2014WE have been going to this restaurant for many years. Yet, even if there's ben a change in ownership, both the food and service are still very good. We will be back!!!
- Great Find!TeatimedVIPDined on 11/1/2014We were a group of 7. We each ordered a dish and had them place it in the centre of the table so that we were able to share all the food. It was amazing. Loved every dish. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Food!FlaneurBNDined on 10/12/2014Service was super friendly and attentive - but it's the food that really shines. Their seafood dishes are the best.Special Features:
- ServiceTishoDined on 8/23/2014Service wasnt good. Once we sat rather than asking what type of water we wanted they quickly brought tap water- this is fine. When they served the drink, they had spilled the drink on the tray, rather than bringing it back to wipe the alcohol off, the waitress was like sorry about that, careful i spilled ur drink, we had to ask for tissues to wipe it off. So that's not good service for me. Food was really good. But the waiters seems to be bored, u can see them chilling on the side ... Not sure what type of image it gives. Probably the manager was not there?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 39 reviews are from the Chao Phraya reviews archive.
- Chao Phraya is Sooo good!!Luv2eatoutVIPDined on 7/26/2014It's my sevond visit to Chao Phraya in the past 2 months, and both times were great experiences. Starting by being greeted with a sweet hostess with a great smile and knowledgeable staff. When I asked both times to the waiters as what to try in each category, both times I was guided to delicious suggestions. Also, when I was going overboard with my order, I was kindly told that there was enough food to satisfy everyone and if I wanted more, I can always add as the evening goes by and sure enough the amount ordered was just perfect!! Their honesty was appreciated. If you love Thai food or would like to try it once, then Chao Phraya is the place. I definitely recommend it!! Hope you will enjoy it as much as we did. Cheers!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodMTL4FoodDined on 7/24/2014I thoroughly enjoyed both the ravioli in peanut sauce as well the seafood pad thaiSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Thai food period.GeomacDined on 7/24/2014From soup onwards this is my favourite Thai food in the world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sharing spotsthenrifoodieDined on 7/9/2014Fantastic for sharing because of outstanding menu options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great ThaiRamsisnutellaVIPDined on 7/8/2014very good thai food, especially when you like spicy food. The peanut chicken with crispy spinach is a classic! try anything cooked in coco milk!Special Features:
- GregOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/23/2014Great Thai food, good atmosphere with friendly service. Getting on the expensive side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Thai in TownTaste4ThaiDined on 5/18/2014We were a party of 6 celebrating a golden wedding anniversary and enjoyed being able to dine at our own pace with flexible menu adjustments and superb food. Choices were wide enough to suit all our tastes both for appetizers and mains, and the spicing was subtly present without being overpowering . Service was attentive and friendly and helpful suggestions were provided when asked for. The noise level was a little high at times, but the restaurant was full. It was a very enjoyable evening for our party of diners from age 12 to 83. The best Thai food that I have found in Montreal, and the most authentic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Next Best Thing to Being There!BeachnutDined on 5/17/2014A fantastic find for Thai cuisine! Authentically prepared dishes, beautifully displayed, good hospitality and a warm ambience. Parking a bit of a problem- leave time. Felt like I was back in Thailand!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LuvtapasDined on 5/11/2014La nourriture est délicieuse, on a commande des plats de fruits de mer saute avec sauce piquante #52 c'est délicieux, frais. Le pad Thai est bon , l'acceuil avec le propriétaire a la porte est apprécie.Special Features:
- ThaiFooderDined on 5/2/2014The food and service were very good, but i found the wine list expensive for what it is. $42 for an saq wine at 16 is a bit excessive i think.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never Disappoints!MarkDined on 4/6/2014Chao Praya is consistently one of, if not 'the' best Thai restauants in the city. We make the treck in from the West island whenever we want authentic, no holds barred, top quality Thai.Special Features:
- This restaurant has been myCacoDined on 4/5/2014This restaurant has been my personal favorite since it opened its doors! I almost never fail to have my birthday dinner there every year. Absolutely love the food (although the decor and noise level could be improve).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Thai Food in MontréalOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/21/2014Definitely the best Thai restaurant in Montréal, and some of the best Thai food I've ever had. Very friendly staff and well kept dining area. Portions are just the right size, not too large and not too small.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A class above most other ThaiOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/6/2014A class above most other Thai restaurants. Very fresh ingredients and subtle flavours. The crab starter was outstanding. Very good spring rolls. Pad Thai was very good and non greasy. Excellent stir fries and curries. A good fix if you have Asian cravings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous ThaiBondgirlVIPDined on 2/15/2014This is one of the very best Thai restaurants I have been to anywhere. Highy recommended. Great value. Be sure to try the lobster and mango salad which is spectacular. Duck curry is also very special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/8/2014We go there on a regular basis and it`s always very good. The menu in very extensive and the food always flavorfull and well cooked. Prices are very good, you cannot go wrong in this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cuisine thaï deluxeGennypopDined on 1/31/2014J'aime ce restaurant pour le très grand choix de plats toujours aussi savoureux les uns que les autres. Je recommande de prendre sieurs plats à partager. Service impeccable à chaque fois.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, but confused staffPragniDined on 1/10/2014Our experience with Chao Phraya, food wise, was spectacular. But overall, we were a little befuddled with their service. We waited for the main course for 45 minutes. When asked why, they thought we wanted to wait!! All that time, they kept filling our warm water glasses (we both had nasty colds) with ice. They replaced it 11 times. Everytime, they would just repeat the error again. Then we waited to wait to place the desert order for 15 full minutes, till I had to go up to them and ask them if they would like to take our order for it. All in all, great great food, but service? Meh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love Chao Phraya and haveOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/31/2013I love Chao Phraya and have eaten there regularly over the years but they were not up to par on New Year's Eve - perhaps the crowd was too large for them to handle - or perhaps the regular chef was off duty. I had taken two people who had never eaten there before and kept telling them that it's usually much better. It is still one of my favorite restaurants but not for New Year's Eve.Special Features:
- BonEpicureVIPDined on 12/29/2013Bon resto thaï bien situé. Malheureusement, le poulet phara ram n'était pas aussi bon qu'à l'habitude, mais c'était correcte.
- Really great placeCarolynDined on 12/28/2013Really tasty, good food. Nice staff. Great atmosphere. Really enjoyed it. Overall good thai food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh and tastyLovesgoodfoodVIPDined on 12/28/2013Waiter was very helpful as we were looking for a variety of dishes that weren't too spicy or saucy. Everything he suggested was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best for Thai Food!SylvieDined on 11/1/2013The food was fresh and delicious. We love their cari with coconut and fresh basil. Service was very good. The wine list is impressive for an oriental restaurant. We definitely recommend it for everyone in Montréal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You can always count on itCasualdinnerDined on 9/27/2013I had not been to this restaurant for over 3 years and when I returned, I was pleasntly surprised to find that the quality of the food and service are stil great. One of the best Thai restaurants in Montreal, more of neighbourhood type, good for families and casual get together with friends at an affordable price. The food was great and the service was good. Would definitely go back again sooner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ThaiMarkDined on 9/1/2013Chao Praya deserves its reputation as one of the, if not the, best, Thai restaurants in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A classic for many yearsStefDined on 8/11/2013I've been there many times over the course of 15 years. Quiet place, friendly and polite service, never disappointed. Pad thai is among the best and you can have it with duck too! Tom Yum a bit oily for my taste and a tiny bit sweeter would be good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always pleasantly surprisedCharlieZVIPDined on 8/4/2013We have been going to Chao Phraya several times over the past couple of years. The food is consistently delicious, the service is attentive, the seating is pleasant and there is a nice crowd . Lots of regular customers one can tell.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Thai on the Plateau!LinaDined on 8/3/2013Whenever we are in Montreal, we make a trip to Chao Phraya at least once. It's one of the highlights of the trip. Fantastic food! We've eaten at several of the Thai restaurants in Montreal - and in our humble opinion, Chao Phraya is one of the best. The service is outstanding, the ambience is great - a little gem nestled in a great neighbourhood. Menu has a large selection, food is always excellent. Our favourites - the mango salad, Koung Sam Rod (shrimp in three flavours spicy sauce - ask for the jumbo shrimp, well worth it), Tom Kah Gai, Gai Pad Plik Khing, Pad Thai (a must), Neua Peloth, and for dessert - the green tea ice cream is awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is always greatCyninthecityVIPDined on 8/1/2013The peanut dumplings are to die for. Love the garlic beef as well. The restaurant is an open concept, clean, service is prompt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- we have been going for 20eatinginCarmelVIPDined on 7/6/2013we have been going for 20 years and it is sitll wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chao Phraya serves the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/21/2013Chao Phraya serves the best Thai food in Montreal. It is always delicious and the staff is very warm and friendly. The service is fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful flavours!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/8/2013Recently visited Montreal and heard good reviews of this restaurant. We're a fan of the flavours of Thai food and Chao Phraya did not disappoint--wonderful curries and sauces. When we return to Montreal we will definitely come back!Special Features:
- A short visit to ThailandTrustFundFoodieVIPDined on 5/18/2013We had not visited Chao Phraya in quite some time. Forgot how great the food is. We invited friends who had never been. They are vegetarians and were quite happy with the variety of dishes and flavors.. Every dish was delicious, ranging from a tofu peanut dish to a green curry chicken from sweet to off the charts spicy. Definitely, we'll be back soon.Special Features:
- True Thai foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/10/2013As consistent as ever, great food and service and they don't gouge you on the wine, that's why they have been there for so long.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Some of the best thai foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/26/2013Some of the best thai food Ive ever had, super friendly staffSpecial Features: