Chandler's a Restaurant
215 1/2 Howard Street
Petoskey, MI 49770Neighborhood:
Global, InternationalPrice: $31 to $50
Chandler's a Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.symonsgeneralstore.com/
- Phone: (231) 347-2981
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily 11:00AM-4:00PM
Dinner: Daily Starting at 4:00PM
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday only 8:00AM-4:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Global, International
- Executive Chef: Chef Tommy Kaszubowski
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Typically we offer a four course tasting menu in the wine cellar. The cellar seats up to 48 people. Stand up cocktail receptions accepted. We customize to suit you. Call or email for specifics as availability changes with the seasons.
- Private Party Contact: Chandler Symons 2318817606x
- Entertainment: We feature live entertainment Friday and Saturday evenings starting at 8:00PM year-round and everyday of the week in the summertime.
Weather permitting, the musicians will perform outdoors on the patio.
A word from Chandler's a Restaurant
Chandler’s opened it’s doors in December of 1999 behind the historical Symons General Store building. It’s a cozy place with only 50 seats in the main dining room & 10 seats at the bar. When real estate is too tough to find - it’s standing room only! For a change of scenery, guests can enjoy dining in the wine cellar where they are surrounded by the 4,000 bottle collection that serves both the restaurant and Symons General Store. In the warmer months, guests can choose to dine outside, on Chandler’s brick courtyard.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Chandler's a Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Petoskey ›
Chandler's a Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
61 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
notable wine list (44)fit for foodies (44)special occasion (34)neighborhood gem (27)romantic (25)hot spot (15)great for outdoor dining (13)good for groups (7)vibrant bar scene (7)great for lunch (5)late-night find (4)great for brunch (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- Quality, Service and Experience, Chandlers is #1!Quality1Service1mustbe1Dined on 11/8/2014Chef Tommie is Famous! He is consistent in finding and preparing the freshest ingredients. When he puts them all together, Ahh-Delight!! We often order the fish, as there is almost always a unique type/preparation. My husband is a persnickety eater;) and we both enjoy high quality dining. For this reason, Chandlers is our number one pick! Rich and Christian- You guys should have your own show on Service:)- Always the finest! We love coming here. Somehow, it's like we are "on vacation" during our experiences here. We never want to leave.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!!AMC2Dined on 11/8/2014One of the best restaurants in Michigan--highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High end restaurant with charmLovetoTravelDined on 11/5/2014I was there with a large group and had a great time. They gave us the wine cellar all to ourselves, which made for a great atmosphere. Would highly recommend Chandler's.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/31/2014Amazing atmosphere and friendly staff. We visited this place a year ago and couldn't wait to come back. The place is so fun and you couldn't ask for a better atmosphere and menu. The food is super fresh and plated gorgeously.Special Features:
- Great food, cozy atmosphere.memorablemealsDined on 10/18/2014The restaurant is small and cozy and unassuming. But the food and the service is excellent! Everything from appetizers to dessert were delicious. Extensive wine list. The night we went, we were also treated to some great live music, which added to the ambience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014The food was wonderful and our waitress, Andrea was top notch! Very attentive and friendly. Thank you for helping us celebrate 25 years!Special Features:
- Hidden gemDineoutDined on 10/13/2014Love the small, intimate setting. Very small selection every night, but excellent! Tables are a little tight but part of the charm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Limited SelectionLTO1996Dined on 10/6/2014We went on a Monday for our anniversary hoping to get Salmon or Halibut based on other reviews. We were told that they don't get their fish supply until Tuesday. They Grouper as a special and Yellow Fin Tuna as an appetizer. My wife ordered the Grouper I had the Tuna turned into a meal size portion. The food was good so the night was saved. The price was too high for the fish and $6 bottled water was a shock. I will check out other places next time. I wasn't feeling the value!Special Features:
- Beautiful SpotFeedMeWineDined on 10/3/2014My wife and I loved this place--we had dinner late on a friday night and the wine cellar section of the restaurant (though packed) was still quiet and calm. Wine list was phenomenal, and the food was delicious. Get the braised pork--best I've had out in a long time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Warm Up at Chandler'sDrbtanshaDined on 10/2/2014Chandler's help warm up an otherwise wet and cold weekend Up North. We celebrated our anniversary at Chandler's again this year. We love it. Great service. Unbelievable food and wine. Small place so the ambiance is great.Special Features:
- Dinner in the Wine Cellarstj123Dined on 9/16/2014I made a reservation in the wine cellar. We had a nice lunch on the previous day and were told the wine cellar was closed. We arrived for our reservation the next day and were greeted by an older dark haired very rude waitress and she said they were setting the table for us in the wine cellar as we requested and it was a special seating for us alone. She also said that she was completely full for the night in the dining area. The wine cellar was a completely unacceptable and we were sorry we didn't walk out and go elsewhere. At the end of our meal the dark haired waitress lied to us and said (when I told her how unacceptable it was), that she wasn't full in the main dining area and could have seated us there. That is the end of the story.Special Features:
- Excellent Experience All AroundStellabeeVIPDined on 9/13/2014My husband and I were celebrating a wedding anniversary in Northern Michigan and planned a dinner at Chandlers. We were delighted to find the atmosphere still vibrant even for our late reservation- the place was still busy and the live music was great. The service was outstanding as was the food. We ordered an ahi tuna appetizer from the daily specials menu with roasted pineapple, cucumber and lotus- a perfect combination of flavors. For dinner we ordered the steak filet and the duck breast; both were delicious and cooked perfectly. The extensive wine list made my husband happy and I enjoyed a mojito. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Anniversary DinnerExcellent1yrAnnivDinnerDined on 9/13/2014My wife and I had a great 1 year anniversary experience at Chandler's. The food and wine were excellent and the atmosphere romantic. I definitely recommend this restaurant when in the Petoskey area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodReinerVIPDined on 9/12/2014We ate in the wine cellar area and the food and service were excellent. Two negatives where the constant banging of the door leading from the outside was very annoying (need to install a soft closing door closer) and each time the door opened a cold draft of air entered the room...(need to add additional heaters to combat this and make an air curtain). In the meanwhile if you dine in the cellar make sure you are as far from the outside door as possibleSpecial Features:
- Outstanding!PetoskeyFanDined on 9/5/2014Every year I go to Chandler's for my birthday and I am never disappointed. The filet is cooked perfectly and has a unique sauce that makes it even more flavorful. The service is great and they have one of the best wine lists in the area.Special Features:
- Disappointed in PetoskeybayagentDined on 9/4/2014We chose Chandlers because of so many people saying it is the bet in Petoskey. We're on vacation in northern Michigan. Chandler's is noisy the prices high for the portions received The wine and service was great. Whitecaps is much better in all respects.Special Features:
- Another memorable eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/30/2014Although our request to be seated in the wine cellar (where we always dine here) could not be granted due to a special party in that space, and we were initially very disappointed to be seated in the much noisier, more crowded and TV-decorated main dining room, our server, Diane, saved the day for us. She was excellent -- cheerful, witty, efficient. And the manager did all he could to mitigate our disappointment. As always, the food was outstanding -- fresh ingredients expertly prepared and plated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was fabulous50inspiredDined on 8/28/2014Great food and fantastic wine list. Server was attentive but allowed us to socialize with minimum interruption. Our table was right near the door, which wasn't fabulous but everything else made up for it by the end of the evening. I would highly recommend. We sat inside but they have a lovely courtyard with live local entertainment. Seemed to have a very good late night crowd. Pricey but worth it.Special Features:
- A great experienceWandererVIPDined on 8/26/2014Revisited Chandler's ... hoping for the same experience as our first visit, we were not disappointed. Everything, from the greeting at the front desk to the time we departed, was perfect. A great wine list, the staff seem to know their wines and had a good recommendation. The food was outstanding ... we had whitefish and duck, both perfectly prepared. While initially very busy, the staff were attentive and engaging. On our first visit, the small dining area and the proximity of the cooking area made for a haze from the food being prepared on the grill ... much less an issue this time, almost not noticeable. A great out of the way, cosy establishment ... we'll be back. Thanks!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/23/2014The food and dining experience here never fail to impress us. Specials each night are typically the best choice and offer interesting variety with fresh and mostly local ingredients, which are especially tantalizing in August when the area produces outstanding fruits and vegetables. The wine cellar is our preferred seating location although it has one drawback: one, unisex bathroom, which often has a line or at least a wait. And the door to it is virtually in the dining area, so not particularly appealing. Otherwise, this is our favorite restaurant in the area and one to which we return again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Diner65Dined on 8/21/2014Cool ambiance - but too loud for comfortable conversation - request wine room or outdoors and I imagine it would be MUCH quieter. Disappointed that we had an 8pm seating and they were already out of 1 of the 2 fish specials. Interesting salad options, however, a Very small menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy atmosphere- pricey7292Dined on 8/17/2014Was a relaxing and cozy atmosphere. Not enough entrees to pick from and very pricey- there needs to be a wider range of food available with $$$ to match. Will only come back for lunch or a special occasion.Special Features:
- Amazing foodAOKAnnieVIPDined on 8/16/2014The menu changes but we always find something creative, special and delicious. This time it was the cowboy steak, cooked perfectly.Special Features:
- Never disappointsBhawks13VIPDined on 8/14/2014My wife and I had dinner during one of our frequent vacations in Petoskey and Chandler's didn't disappoint. Paul did his usual great job of recommending a terrific wine to complement our two meals: halibut for my wife and I killed a 24 oz Cowboy (it was like butter). We'll be back in October!Special Features:
- Perenial FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/9/2014Chandler's is by far the best restaurant in the area and never fails to please. We brought a friend who lives in Chicago who was equally pleased. Our server was a joy and extremely efficient. All in all, as always, a memorable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentDineoutDined on 8/7/2014Chandlers is a very small, quaint restaurant. Food is excellent as well as the wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing SpecialFoodieFamDined on 8/7/2014We dined at Chandlers for our 10th anniversary. After ordering four different bottles of wine, all of which were out, we finally settled for a bottle they had and ordered our meal. My husband ordered the daily special: perch. After ten minutes, we were informed that the perch still hadn't arrived from Charlevoix. We were given the option to wait or order something else. Since Charlevoix is relatively close, we decided to wait. An HOUR later we were told that the fish still hadn't arrived and the truck was "missing". During that time, no one offered any kind of complimentary appetizer or additional bread. My husband ordered the chicken, and neither meal (I had filet) was anything special, especially for the price. Very disappointing.Special Features:
- Great VibeSaraDined on 8/5/2014This small gem was an amazing experience. A definite must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReviewTunaDined on 8/2/2014For the first time I was disappointed in this restaurant. It was just average, you get only your meal and bread for a expensive price, the table was extremely small shoved up against the wall, the kitchen staff was VERY loud cooking and throwing pans and pots around and the waiter actually forget to charge us for the bottle of wine(we did tell him!) I won't be going back anytime soon. Too bad.Special Features:
- A surpriselikefoodDined on 7/29/2014Because the drinks and the food were so incredible, we had a fantastic evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small quibbleDedalusVIPDined on 7/22/2014Have eaten at Chandler's since they opened. Food always excellent, but primary dining area very noisy when full. Two nights ago they ran out of both fish entrees by 9:00 PM which required us to eat an excellent beef filet. Problem was that we had ordered, opened and begun to drink wine chosen in anticipation of fish entrees. During this busy summer season with a nearby outstanding fish market, (John Cross in Charlevoix), Chandler's should be prepared and suffer the occasional unsold fish to be used for something else the following day.Special Features:
- The following 169 reviews are from the Chandler's a Restaurant reviews archive.
- ExcellentSunnyVIPDined on 7/22/2014Our favorite restaurant in northern Michigan. Intimate ambience. Friendly service. Menu changes with the fresh food available. Excellent chefs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MsmcVIPDined on 7/19/2014Once again, a glorious dinner at Chandlers for my birthday! Started with the Foie Gras app, Caesar Salad, and the Red Fish special. Everything that comes out of the kitchen is creative and memorable. The staff always go out of their way to make sure that we have a relaxing evening - they are personable, attentive, and always professional. Chandlers is my favorite place for a special occasion in Northern Michigan, without peer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a memorableLNSdiner1Dined on 7/18/2014During our recent week in Petoskey we dined twice at Chandlers, first night to kick off our vacation and last night to end on very high note. We love their fish, the halibut is the best I've had anywhere, and it seems to always be a menu item!! The wine selection is very good and in a comfortable mid price range. The place is always full and the atmosphere festive. Can't wait to return.Special Features:
- We love Chandlers!Fools4foodVIPDined on 7/16/2014We've been going to Chandlers for a number of years when we get to the area and it never disappoints! One of our favorite restaurants ever! Paul is our fav server. Just a great spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnneDined on 7/12/2014We make a trip to Petosky every year and one of our favorite restaurants is Chandler's. We love to sit outside and listen to the live music, sip on wine and eat fantastic food. It's quaint and romantic and the staff goes above and beyond to take care of you. This is a must if you are in town and want up scale dining.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/11/2014Excellent food, incredibly fresh and perfect portions! Our new favorite dining spot in the area!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never AgainjanjaVIPDined on 7/5/2014After going to Chandlers for years, we will never go back. Almost every time we go and have reservations, we still get seated 30-60 minutes after our reserved time. The food is good (not great) for the price. We had dinner at two other restaurants in Petoskey, which were more reasonable and had equal, if not better, food.Special Features:
- Expected betterOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/5/2014We were stuffed in the back of the basement between two stacks of wine bottles. Service was Ok. Expected better seating and more fresh seafood on the menu.
- Our Favorite PlaceBoatiniDined on 7/5/2014My husband and I eat here for almost every meal when we are in Petoskey for our annual weekend visit. The wine list is outstanding, the wait staff is knowledgeable and well trained, and the ever changing menu from farm to table keeps us coming back. The flavors are interesting, never overpowering, and a foodie must! The great part about Chandlers is that you can have a casual lunch, hang out at the small bar, or have a special dinner. It suits all occasions. Keep in mind this place is very small and dinner reservations are a must during the summer season.Special Features: