850 West Michigan Street
Indianapolis, IN 46202Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.universityplace.iupui.edu/chancellors
- Phone: 3172315257
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Sunday - Saturday: 6:00am - 10:00am, extended hours may apply, Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef Dan Noble
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Jane Whisman 3172315257
A word from Chancellor's
We invite you to experience our American bistro-styled menu that uses fresh, seasonal ingredients highlighting Indiana and Midwest communities. Each selection provides a unique and memorable twist to regional favorites. Located in the AAA Four Diamond environment of University Place Conference Center & Hotel on the IUPUI campus, our contemporary setting provides an atmosphere for both the casual and business culinary experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Chancellor's reviews from OpenTable diners
- This is not a knock on Chancellors,Missy57Dined on 8/18/2012This is not a knock on Chancellors, which is a great place,but on Open Table, which allowed me to make a reservation for a time when the restaurant was not open for business. Ifortunateky, Our Den was open right next door so my friend and I ate there instead and had a nice meal though it was noisier than Chancellors would have been Please fix your site so that it reflects an eatery's actual operating and public hours. Thank you.Special Features:
- has potential, but far from thereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/26/2012While the menu was "new", the food was cool (as in temperature). The service was slow because only one person was in the role of hostess, waitress, and delivery of food.
- I had the sea scallops andOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/29/2012I had the sea scallops and they were terrific. It was an excellent meal.Special Features:
- Food and service were veryOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/17/2012Food and service were very good. Parking in the garage was the only negative ($11 to park).Special Features:
- Hotel dining at it's best!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2012Stayed at the hotel on Tuesday for a doctor's appointment on Wednesday. Tuesday was Valentines Day. Chancellor's had a wonderful special. The food was some of the best we have ever had including all the years we lived in Chicago.Special Features:
- We had a great dinner at ChancellorOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2012We had a great dinner at Chancellors. The lamb and scallops were very good. The waiter was very friendly.Special Features:
- Great new find!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/10/2012The courtyard view added to the romantic lighting to make this a great early Valentine's Day celebration. The wine list was nice and the menu made it very difficult to make a selection! Thankfully, the waiter was able to help with his knowledge of the menu and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. What a great new find! We will be back.Special Features:
- I really liked the appetizersChefkenVIPDined on 2/8/2012I really liked the appetizers and entrees, but the dessert and the ambiance fell a bit short. I started with the Crab Cake with corn relish and mango red pepper salsa. Very tasty and a good balance. My wife really liked the Indiana Corn Chowder with andouille sausage and rock shrimp. One of the best chowders she has tried. She also enjoyed the Angus Ribeye with parmesan pomme frits, roasted tomatoes, haricot verts, and a red wine demi glace. I ordered the seas callops with a fantastic butternut squash risotto and roasted asparagus. But the dessert (Peach and Cherry Cobbler with vanilla bean ice cream fell short. The peaches were unripe and sliced to large to extract easily. (Hard to cut through) And the atmosphere seemed sterile.Special Features:
- Meals were very good. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 1/26/2012Meals were very good. The desserts were not good. Molten cake was still cold and did not melt. Strawberry shortcake was good strawberries, bad shortcake.
- Everything we ordered wasDebbieVIPDined on 1/26/2012Everything we ordered was so delicious. I ordered the chicken salad croissant and carrot cake to go. OMG, I have going to have to order that more often.
- Good but have had betterOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/25/2012When my wife and I arrived we had to wait a bit since they didn't have anyone at the front to seat you. But I was impressed by the fact that our table already had water and bread on it since we had made a reservation. which I thought was great considering it's basically a hotel restaurant. I had the salmon and my wife had the sea scallops. Both dishs were good and nothing was wrong with them at all but ive had better. All in all it was a nice very quiet dinner considering that only 3 other tables had people at them. I probably wont go back but I had wanted to eat here since I was in college and would see it all the time when I would go to the bar next door called "The Den" which is a really nice little place it's self.
- I don't get a chance to eatMissy57Dined on 1/10/2012I don't get a chance to eat here very often, but when I want to have lunch with a colleague to discuss business or the latest campus events and initiatives, this is the best place I know to get it done. The menu has enough variety that anyone can find something to eat without having to spend too much time deciding. (I highly recommend the chicken salad croissant, however) Our server was wonderful, attentive without hovering, and so gracious as well.Special Features:
- The presentation of the soupOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/21/2011The presentation of the soup was spectacular with the garlic croutons. The salads at Chancellors are always a perfect selection as well as anything with salmon as the Chef understands the correct presentation and preparation of salmon to excite the palate.Special Features:
- The service was good whenOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/31/2011The service was good when it happened, but was very slow!
- try itJandEDined on 10/13/2011Nice place for a celebration lunch. Quiet so you can hear others at your table without straining. The food was delicious, they use local vendors when possible. Service was friendly and nicely paced.Special Features:
- 45 minutes for cold soup!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/21/201145 minutes for cold soup! 60 minutes for the main meal! And the restaurant was only half full. Never again!
- We may need a better campus option!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/8/2011The staff is very cordial and polite, but they need to work on their attentiveness. We did not receive any of the cracker bread and cream cheese spread. We ordered salads and it took more than 45 minutes for the salads to arrive. When they did arrive, one of the salads was wrong. The restaurant has a horrible track record with making salads. This is at least the 5th of 6th time that our salads were wrong (asked for no cheese and there was lots of cheese on the salad). Chancellors is convenient for those of us who entertain a lot on campus, but I am going to reconsider using the restaurant until quality control and service staff issues can be resolved. I am tired of apologizing for their constant mistakes.
- This is an adequate restaurantRobertDined on 8/30/2011This is an adequate restaurant option for those on campus.
- The food was delicious. ItOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/16/2011The food was delicious. It was a little on the pricy side, but the overall atmosphere and taste of the food made the price understandable. It is a very small and cute restaraunt with a quiet, romantic atmosphere.Special Features:
- WORST dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/27/2011Service was HORRIBLE, menu didn't match what was listed online (real menu was less appetizing and more expensive), "free" parking cost us $33. From spilling water on us when filling water glasses, to lecturing us when we said an appetizer was prepared incorrectly, to forgetting to bus the salad plates and trying to put the entrees on top of them, to hitting us in the head with the salad plate when she tried to remove it while still holding the entree, to bringing the wrong entree, Hannah never apologized for anything and consistently refused to make anything right. (I had to steal napkins from other tables to mop up the spilled water.) The ONLY thing she got right was charging the mandatory gratuity for a large party.
- On-line menu, accessed viaOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/5/2011On-line menu, accessed via Open Table, was out-of-date; Spring menu now in vogue and less appealing than on-line version. Hardly vibrant; 1 of 4 couples dining. Although a Thursday evening, we thought it surprising since restaurant is located in a hotel physically connected to Indiana U./Purdue U. Hospital and hotel hosting several seminars. On the up-side, the wait staff was very attentive and quite pleasant.
- The service staff needs toOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/4/2011The service staff needs to be more attentive to the table's needs. More often than not, we are asking for drink refills, bread, etc.Special Features:
- Good food, nothing special.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/13/2011Good food, nothing special. As the only option at the hotel for nice dining, was hoping for a larger menu selection.Special Features:
- Dependably interestingindyannaVIPDined on 3/24/2011Since I often teach courses in the University Center, I eat at Chancellor's often. I enjoy the food and the ambiance. I am never hesitant to take guests there.Special Features:
- Not quite what we expectedOTMemVIPDined on 3/4/2011Not quite what we expected when we made reservations; although, it is a nice place run by friendly people. The menu available on Open Table is much different that the menu the restaurant currently uses.
- Kudos to Chancellor'sOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/22/2011We held a very important dinner meeting at the restaurant. The manager and staff were excellent. We opted to order sandwiches and salads off the lunch menu and there were no hesitations to allow us to do so. I was so impressed with all, that we held a different meeting at the restaurant the next morning.Special Features:
- The service was great, despiteOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2011The service was great, despite there only being one server (that I was able to see). She did a wonderful job! The food was also fantastic. It was Valentine's Day, so they had a special menu, but I look forward to coming back to try their everyday menu items.Special Features:
- Excellent But Parking $$$ a problemDavidDined on 1/26/2011Excellent place buried in a University Conf. Center. They quickly and apologetically corrected an order error. A near deal-killer is the parking cost in the underground parking garage. $11 for 90-minutes...I'm not buying the car. Cheaper deal would be to park at university hospital across the street.Special Features:
- Awesome SaladOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/25/2011The hours of operations are not really single or dating friendly, perfect for date night for parents or business meetings. The decor-beautiful, the salad-splendid and huge.Special Features:
- All I can say, is, my bossOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/24/2011All I can say, is, my boss LOVES, LOVES, LOVES the place. She thinks you have the best food around and is very please. You will be seeing her a lot! Thank you. Plus I love the convenience of making reservations on line.Special Features:
- My fiancé and I ate here andOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/16/2010My fiancé and I ate here and we were the only people in the restaurant at 8:30pm on a Thursday. The server was very friendly and we loved the way the dining room was decorated. Only thing we would change (not a big deal since we were only people there), my fiancé clearly ordered the salmon and was brought chicken. The mistake was corrected in a timely matter and waitress was genuine. Overall it was a wonderful restaurant and food was delicious. Salmon was slightly under seasoned.Special Features:
- We were a group of 6 and ourOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/19/2010We were a group of 6 and our reservation was for 7:00. When we arrived, there was no one else seated in the restaurant. Our service was fantastic, the food very good, but I am concerned that they have no business. Before we left, about 8:30, there were 3 other groups. There was still only 1 server, but she did a fantastic job!Special Features:
- Excellent service. Mine wasOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/19/2010Excellent service. Mine was a luncheon meeting and all was accomplished with no unnecessary interruptions and we did not feel rushed. Food was excellent.Special Features:
- This restaurant has a greatKarenDined on 9/16/2010This restaurant has a great atmosphere. Beautifully decorated, quiet, attentive service that doesn't hover. It's a great place to catch up with a friend, enjoy very good food in a calm, quiet surround. I've never been disappointed.Special Features:
- We were celebrating a retirmentOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/23/2010We were celebrating a retirment of our secretary. She had a great time. The food was delicious and the overall experience was terific.Special Features:
- I had been here once beforeKarenDined on 5/7/2010I had been here once before and found it outstanding. This time the quality of the food wasn't quite as high. It was still quite good, but not quite what I had experienced before. Atmosphere is gorgeous, staff and service excellent, wine selections are very good. They used to have macaroni & cheese with lobster and have substituted mashed potatoes with lobster and it doesn't compare to the mac & cheese. I still recommend it, maybe I was having an off night, but I know I will hesitate to return based on feeling a bit disappointed with this visit.Special Features:
- The food was good. It wasOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/19/2010The food was good. It was quiet so our group could interact without effort. The service was very prompt.Special Features:
- Had a great meal at Chancellor's.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/26/2010Had a great meal at Chancellor's. Loved the Duck, Duck, Goose. Very attentive waitstaff. Will be back when in Indy.
- Very tasty vegetarian burger.Missy57Dined on 3/11/2010Very tasty vegetarian burger. The server brought out flatbread along with three spreads along with our water and our menus--I liked that it wasn't the usual mini-loaf that you have to cut and make a mess with! The service was excellent--they kept our water glasses filled--but unobtrusive. This is a great place to have lunch with a colleague--it's quiet enough that you can have conversations without shouting.Special Features:
- Their menu was nothing outstanding.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/19/2010Their menu was nothing outstanding. They used to have better entries in their menu. I really miss the mediterranean pita salad and the salmon entrees they used to have. It seems they are regressing to the least common denominator somehow. But for business lunches it is close by and convenient.Special Features: