Chaminade - Linwood's Bar and Grill
One Chaminade Lane
Santa Cruz, CA 95065Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Chaminade - Linwood's Bar and Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.chaminade.com/Dining/Dining.asp
- Phone: 8314755600x
- Hours of Operation:
The Sunset Restaurant
Breakfast Buffet Daily: 7:00am - 9:30am
Breakfast a la Carte Daily: 9:30am - 11:00am
Linwood's Bar & Grill
Lunch Daily: 11:00am - 5:00pm
Dinner Daily: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kirsten Ponza
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Chaminade - Linwood's Bar and Grill
Set high on a hilltop with breathtaking panoramic views of the Monterey Bay, Chaminade Resort & Spa offers a unique dining experience. Indoor and outdoor seating allows guests to enjoy the naturally beautiful scenery which compliments the contemporary California Cuisine. Whether it’s sustainable seafood or locally grown produce, Chaminade Resort & Spa emphasizes natural ingredients while providing four diamond service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Chaminade - Linwood's Bar and Grill - Best Restaurants in Santa Cruz ›
Chaminade - Linwood's Bar and Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
16 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (13)scenic view (12)romantic (8)great for lunch (6)special occasion (6)great for brunch (4)good for groups (4)kid-friendly (2)notable wine list (2)neighborhood gem (2)fit for foodies (1)Show More
- Great BrunchMrWizard10Dined on 10/5/2014This is a great place to go for a Sunday Champagne Brunch. Outdoor and indoor seating with a view of the ocean. Friendly staff who make sure that your Champagne glass gets refilled when you want to take your next sip. Definitely will go back again for special occasions and when guests are in town.Special Features:
- Nice for a get-away lunch.capsanjoseDined on 10/4/2014Outside the Bar and Grill is outstanding with the beautiful view. The food was okay, not particularly inspired, i.e, he fish tacos were just okay, felt like healthy was the goal with this dish. Go for the ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great View; disappointed with foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/1/2014Visited last week for a birthday dinner with our daughter. The ambiance is great; bar tender greeted and seated us. It was not busy and we were able to be seated outside at the "fire pit" tables that have a gas flame in the center. Beautiful clear night but if you want to enjoy the view; come early. We enjoyed the starry night. Waitperson was friendly and knowledgable. I asked about the gnocchi dish and he said it was very popular and gnocchi were "melt in your mouth." They were not; they were chewy, and tasted very pre-fab. The entire dish was a disappointment. Other two diners shared a salad and a pizzetta. They said they were OK; not remarkable. Linwood's can be so much better than our meal reflected.Special Features:
- ChaminadeLagodiComo123Dined on 9/25/2014Service was great, specials were very yummy and the go to menu is also good, view can hardly be beatSpecial Features:
- Wedding anniversary lunchLividdavidVIPDined on 9/6/2014We came here for our wedding anniversary lunch. Just a private celebration. A very nice menu and excellent champagne, too. The Reuben panini and the chopped salad were excellent. Other menu items sounded great, too. For dessert we had the lemon tart and the molten chocolate cake. The former was not very good (too sweet, not lemony); the latter was excellent. Service was wonderful at all points. This place is a keeper.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding View Wonderful BrunchCampbellgalDined on 8/24/2014Linwood provided an beautiful spot for a large family gathering for brunch to celebrate a family birthday. Food was excellent. They accommodated toddlers well. The view is beautiful. Highly recommend, especially for a special occasion.Special Features:
- One redeeming factorLv2eatDined on 8/10/2014The one redeeming factor in the meal for 4 people with 4 different food choices was the tempura green beans - although not enough of a portion to share amongst 4 people.Special Features:
- Great PatioSusanDined on 8/3/2014I always like taking my out of town guests to Linwoods Grill for lunch. I like the patio so you have the beautiful view of the Monterey Bay and a nice lunch with good food.Special Features:
- Charming experience!Luv2DinewithmydogDined on 8/2/2014Wonderful patio area where I can meet with friends and take my dog. They even have a dog menu! The menu was good and the service was wonderful. The view was refreshing. I will definitely go back to this charming restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DissapointingFBOracleDined on 7/19/2014Was there years ago and had very high end meals. Is now much more casual place and very limited menu. View very reduced by trees if sitting insideSpecial Features:
- Sunday BrunchdiningmagnetDined on 7/6/2014Outdoors on a beautiful day with great patio views to the ocean and beyond. Food was quite reasonable for the price and service was great. The champaigne glasses were filled with due diligence consistently. One negative was a group of women that were inappropriately loud and boisterous (much to drink and did not care of others around them). We were there celebrating our wedding anniversary and the gals made an otherwise perfectly romantic and pleasantly enjoyable Sunday brunch into a situation in which we wanted ear muffs to cushion the screaching and loud giggles. Once they left (which was at the very end) the environment was quite peacefull and lovely. I write this off to our bad luck with the clientele that day. We would go back.Special Features:
- terrible servicevalleyscum1Dined on 7/6/2014It took 20 minutes to get a glass of ice water after asking. Had to ask twice, then got it 5 minutes later. Never refilled. It took the same to get the check, just not attentive. I guess it's s laid back Santa Cruz thing. ... overheard the manager talking and the word "gnarly" was used 3 times is a brief conversation ! Lol ! I guess I'm just a valley, and expect better service? Oh, and we had a party of 6, so 18 and a half gratuity (guess that's why the service is crap, money in the bag. Why do anything at all? ) total tip was $38 ! Maybe 4 visits to table by wait staff ! Joke !
- The following 54 reviews are from the Chaminade - Linwood's Bar and Grill reviews archive.
- Unforgetable dining experience!BlissDined on 6/23/2014From the view of the trees from the patio, to the delicious food and friendly service, we thoroughly enjoyed our dining experiences here. The friendly staff made us feel very welcome, especially our server, Sarah. They were very accomodating to my needs for vegetarian modifications, no questions asked. We had two excellent dinners there and were delighed by the grilled brussel sprouts, the battered green beans, and the fried artichoke hearts. WOW! We would go back if we lived closer.Special Features:
- Enchanting view, delectable food!BlissDined on 6/22/2014We ate there two nights in a row and enjoyed our meals both nights. Our waitress, Sarah, made us feel right at home. They accomodated all my requests as a vegetarian, such as making the tacos without the fish and the pasta with red sauce. The prices were very fair, the servings just right, and we had two dishes we never had before: batter fried green beans (OMG!) and fried artichoke hearts. We had a table looking over a canyon full of trees and it was refreshing for our souls. It is a place that takes your breath away!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ambiance was only good thingFlotrop05Dined on 6/21/2014I went here with my wife because I wanted a romantic restaurant near santa cruz with a beautiful view. The view was gorgeous and we sat outside at sunset which made the ambiance even better. The food and service were dreadful however. My wife and I both ordered a ribeye and it was so overcooked it was barely eatable. The rest of the food was either okay or substandard. The service was terrible. They initially told us they had no tables available outside but we decided to wait until one opened up. While we were waiting, I decided to go outside to check out the view. Not only were there tables open... the majority of the tables were open. The wait staff was slow and unhelpful. Go for a drink and the view. Nothing else.Special Features:
- BrunchLoMoraDined on 6/15/2014We had a wonderful time. My daughter and I treated our husbands for Father's Day brunch and the food was fresh and delicious! My husband and I have eaten there several times before and we always leave content. We have not had a bad experience with service or the food. It was a first for our daughter and son-in-law and they really enjoyed the ambiance, staff and food. They left Chaminade thinking it would be a great place to get married all over again. Who knows, they may renew their vows on their 10th anniversary!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchGreatfoodsDined on 6/15/2014This was great to take my freiend out for Fathers day . We loved the brunch.Special Features:
- DisappointingFarmersMarketJunkieDined on 6/1/2014What an amazing gem Chaminade is in terms of location - historical, ocean view outdoor dining, wooded country setting. Sadly, the quality of the food served to us for dinner was very low yet the prices as high as some of our areas most renowned restaurants who use locally raised produce, meats and seafood, transformed into unforgettable meals. Despite friendly service, I could never recommend this restaurant to anyone because of the poor preparation of our food (old salad greens, plastic bag pieces cooked into the calamari batter, bland tasting braised meat, undercooked brussel sprouts), unimaginative offerings, and unjustified prices.Special Features:
- LionessDined on 6/1/2014My sister&I had Sunday brunch buffet(delicious/lots to choose from)sat outside(beautiful flowers/warm day)and very attentive wait people(all young ladies/pleasant manners)-we will be back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/23/2014Linen table cloth prices, hard uncomfortable chairs/table seating.
- Sunday Brunch At The ChaminadeGreeneyedlady1Dined on 5/18/2014The champagne Sunday brunch is very good. This is the second time that we've gone to the Chaminade for their brunch, we have not tried any other dining experience as of yet. It is very reasonable, excellent display of various food and the food is very good along with a gorgeous views of the Monterey Bay, Santa Cruz and Monterey area. I would recommend the Sunday Brunch at the Chaminade for special occassions or just wanting a nice brunch with beautiful views. Sunday brunch buffets are few and far between and it is refreshing that the Chaminade has the Sunday buffet brunch. Thank you, Chaminade!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SusanDined on 5/16/2014The view is remarkable. That is why I like to go. The wait staff seems a bit inexperienced and a little slow. The bread took forever to warm (really?) Doesn't a huge hotel always have bread? Otherwise everything was great.Special Features:
- Service terrible for price we paid.spoinkDined on 5/11/2014We went to their Easter and Mother's day brunches. Our experience was the same both times. The buffet is fantastic and the ambiance is wonderful. However, when we sit down, the staff takes a long time to notice us. When they notice us, they only talk to us once. If we need something while we're enjoying our meal, such as water, silverware, or the check, it was a challenge to find someone to help us. I was willing to forgive that once during Easter, but it happened again during the mother's day brunch. These are pricey buffets. We expect someone to ask how we're doing!Special Features:
- Expensive disappointmentStitchVIPDined on 5/11/2014We were really looking forward to spending Mother's Day here. First, we were not told that it would be a buffet, but OK, busy day it's understandable. The food was average to poor, though there was a lot of it. The prime rib was dry and tasteless. The service was deplorable. We were never told it would be $50 each for lousy food and service. Overall a disappointment and sad way to spend Mother's Day.
- Great location with a view!SFinSFVIPDined on 5/10/2014My girlfriend and I went here on a Saturday evening, and while the view was spectacular, the food was just "ok." It was fine for us, because we were there to relax and take in the sights. However, if you're a "foodie" or looking for a classic cocktail in a classy setting, you're setting your expectations too high. Consider reserving early so you can get a seat outside, but make sure you're near a heater because the weather can get chilly and windy quickly -- especially after sunset.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful viewdinnerfortwoDined on 5/3/2014We had appetizers on the patio in the early afternoon. Had tempura green beans and pear and cheese flat bread which were both delicious. Great view over Monterey Bay. In the evening we had dinner inside the restaurant and were not quite as satisfied. Had pork loin which was served too pink. When they tried to correct that, the pork was way too dry. The atmosphere inside was not very impressive. If we go back, we would have lunch on the very nice patio, but we would not go back for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch onlyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/3/2014The dinner service was poor. Long wait so so food and poor attendance to needs by waiter. Portions are small.Special Features:
- Relaxed, nice but not tooElliotDined on 3/27/2014Relaxed, nice but not too formal, great view, good food , very pleasant waitress. Nothing bowled me over but it felt comfortable and would rise to the level of service I desired.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service and food wereOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/15/2014The service and food were very good. Very beautiful view during sunset.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining with a view....WinmatDined on 2/17/2014As you walk into Linwood Bar and Grill you are greeted with a smile by the friendly hostess. Seated right away to a table outside for some cozy late night dining. If we had only been out here in the daytime, the view would be even more spectacular. We saw the gleaming lights of Santa Cruz dancing in the distance while the smell of the ocean salted it's way up the hill. The cozy firetables served as a heater as we drank wine from the extensive wine list. We opted for some quick bites and the small bites menu served up just what we were looking for....Pizzettas, wth goat cheese and pear and then a round of tempura battered green beans....so good! Overall experience: so good, ambience even better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valetine's day was a disappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2014Valetine's day was a disappointment. We made reservations and were seated at 7:45pm and we were not served dinner until 9:30. The hostess staff was absent when we arrived and when they finally showed up, they were disorganized and had a poor attitude. The fixed menu seating area was only half full with about 20 tables. We were served one small roll of bread everytime we asked for more in addition the bread was not fresh. We even over heard the next table complaining that the service was below acceptable for the Chaminade. The food was good when it arrived and the meat was cooked properly. However I would think twice before coming back for any special occasion.Special Features:
- Valentine's DinnerChaminadeVIPDined on 2/14/2014Excellent food, service on a very special evening, we loved it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Linwood's disappoints on V-DaysnewwithyouVIPDined on 2/14/2014We arrived on time for our 7 PM Valentine's Day reservation and were seated near the kitchen door and heavy wait-staff and other patron traffic routes to the kitchen and other tables. From the time we were served the very uninspiring, bland, and pitiful portions of our appetizer--roasted root vegetables on red endive, to receiving our entrées, over an hour and a half ticked away. The salads were served closer to the appetizer than to our entrées, but weren't memorable for their taste any more than the appetizer was. My duck confit was fine. The quinoa side was as boring as the appetizer. My husband ordered his filet mignon medium-rare and got rare instead. He was afraid to send it back for more cooking, as he might wait again. Desserts=bleh
- Not Ready for Valentines DayDougDined on 2/14/201445 minutes after sitting down - nothing but a glass of water was brought. We finally just left...
- Great Date NightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/24/2014My fiancée and I had a Friday night dinner up in Lindwood's resturant. The view was great and we managed to get a table with a fire built into it. Booya! Had the salad special, which I think should be on the menu all the time. All in all, a perfect meal. I love being up here. I’m a local, and, feels like you are not in Santa Cruz up there, but on a getaway. Chaminade will now be in our date night rotation. Maybe we will even stay the night next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and View. Cool PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/15/2014My wife and I had a great time Friendly staff Great food and view Try the Fish Tacos!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outdoor v. Indoor DiningItsgloDined on 12/23/2013For alfresco dining I give it a thumbs up. Not so indoors. Very unimpressive/dismal. Poor service. Limited menu but well presented. Food quite good but not outstanding. Great for eating/drinking and watching the magnificent sunsets. The rest of the resort is superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Made a reservation for 7:45OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/19/2010Made a reservation for 7:45 (late for us but went ahead and made it) and was not seated until 8:30. Waitress was working too many tables and seem to run around ours before she would ask what we wanted and then left immediately. Consider her attitude was a little blunt. We had very good food eventually but paid a lot for it--$300+ for 5 people. Don't know if I would recommend this fancy restaurant if the service and seating don't improve. We ate here a few years ago and the same situation occurred then. Not impressed. With the economy tanking don't think the restaurant should treat customers like they were not paying the bill. We are. I would probably go else where and get better service. Sorry.
- The only negative was waitingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/5/2010The only negative was waiting 25 minutes for our meal.Special Features:
- This was our first time atOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/4/2010This was our first time at Linwood's Bar and Grill. We decided to drive over the hill and come for dinner. The menu looked appetizing...and we decided to get the artichoke appetizer. It looked very nice...but it was way undercooked...if anything with artichoke I suggest over cooking it..the aioli sauce was very nice. The bread that came with dinner was a disappointment.... Next was the special of the day tomato salad..with red and yellow tomatoes with a special motzarella-like (sp?) cheese. I liked this salad...it was very tasty with greens, the tomatoes and the cheese. Next came the entrees..the Filet mignon was over cooked..more medium well than the medium rare I ordered. My companion had the salmon which was ok..just not special.Special Features: