905 West Main Street - Suite 115
Durham, NC 27701Neighborhood:
Brazilian SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chamas.us/
- Phone: 9196821309x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Wednesday - Friday 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Brazilian Steakhouse, Tapas / Small Plates, Brazilian
- Executive Chef: Meat Master - Marcelo Cremonese
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private and semi-private dining areas for parties of 15 or more can be configured to meet your group and event needs.
- Private Party Contact: Rosana Silva 9196821309x
A word from Chamas Churrascaria
Chamas which means ‘flames’ in Portuguese, is an upscale and authentic Brazilian Churrascaria (shoo.rhas’karia). Treat yourself to our sumptuous forty item salad area including appetizers, soups, salads and side items. Enjoy the house baked Cheenies™, Brazilian cheese bread, and one of our signature drinks, the Caipirinha. Let one of our in-house wine specialists select the perfect wine from our extensive and award-winner wine list. Signal the Gauchos and they will start serving various cuts of beef, lamb, pork, poultry, and Brazilian sausage. These delicious cuts are slowly roasted to preserve all their natural juices and flavors and accompanied by mashed potatoes and sweet fried bananas. You may enjoy as much as you like. After dinner, enjoy our in-house made dessert selection, then relax with an after dinner drink at Amélia Café. With extraordinary service and hospitality, authentic food, and great ambience, it is more than the tradition of a Brazilian Steakhouse… it is Chamas!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Chamas Churrascaria - Best Restaurants in Durham ›
Chamas Churrascaria reviews from OpenTable diners
21 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (17)romantic (9)good for groups (8)fit for foodies (7)neighborhood gem (4)hot spot (3)notable wine list (3)scenic view (3)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Good restaurantCarioca23Dined on 10/17/2014Nice environment to experience a Brazilian style steakhouse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and great servicegabeDined on 10/3/2014Came here for an anniversary. The food was excellent and so was the service. The atmosphere was really nice as well. The appetizer and salad bar had great choices and a very good variety. I would definitely come here again. In fact I am taking my parents here next week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining ExperienceRubi1Dined on 9/20/2014I had a wonderful dinner at Chama's with my family- the food was great, the service was wonderful, and we all felt highly welcomed there. I appreciated how much attention the waiters and other employees paid to us and were always smiling and approachable.Special Features:
- Eat For MeatLuv2EatDined on 9/20/2014Outstanding, I have eaten at two other higher priced Brazilian Steak Houses and I can honestly say this one was as good or better. The food was beyond exceptional, service was outstanding, the entire atmosphere was bordering on divine. I would recommend this restaurant without any reserve!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was okayjustDined on 9/19/2014I expected a better kind of meat, but i was mostly offered chicken and hotdogs. I had great experiences in a Brazilian restaurants in Atlanta and DC. For the price needs more quality and service. it was just enough. Thanks.
- Smaller room-- same great foodblackru55Dined on 9/18/2014Actually, I liked the new venue that Chamas Churrascaria moved to. It is smaller, but cozier and less formal. The same people served the same great meat cuts, wine and the salad bar is still one of the best. So, I see the move to a new place as a positive. Will be back again for another special occasion.Special Features:
- Great for a groupOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014We went here to celebrate a birthday and the staff was great! The food was wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must-do in Durham!stewnsDined on 9/5/2014Whether you live in Durham or are just visiting, you must experience Chamas. The restaurant is upscale ($40/person before tip), but for special occasions, it is fantastic, and the amount and quality of food you get makes it well worth the cost. The meats are cooked to perfection and the salad bar is filled with exquisite selections. If you are deciding on a fine dining experience in the Triangle, I 100% recommend Chamas above all others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great choice for meat loversRoeKDined on 8/27/2014The men loved the meat along with salads...The Ladies including me, loved the salad bar only selection which included smoked salmon, shrimp, calamari salad, artichokes, cheese board, salads galore and the best ever spinach raviolis in a delicious alfredo sauce. The manager and wait staff where very attentive. It was a wonderful evening.Special Features:
- A favorite Birthday GiftUncleDadDined on 8/8/2014My son enjoys Chamas Churrascaria as a birthday gift. Who needs a birthday cake when one can eat such high quality meats? Always a great experience.Special Features:
- Overpriced but meat is greatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014The meat, which is what you go here for, was tremendous. If someone is looking for a Brazilian steakhouse, I would recommend Chamas. However, the salad bar contained canned items and their salad dressings were bottled. This was very disappointing to my wife. My two sons and I enjoyed the meat, though. All in all, the price was too high for what we got.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placepianistfrankDined on 8/6/2014If you are in the Brightleaf area of Durham then you must dine here!!Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014Fresh salad bar with cheese selection was unique and very tasty. Meat selection that was brought to the table was fantastic, perfectly done and very flavorful.Special Features:
- ClosedOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/12/2014Went online and made reservations. I was very surprised when I got there to see they were out of business.
- The following 376 reviews are from the Chamas Churrascaria reviews archive.
- Great waiters, so much meat!FoodloverDined on 6/6/2014Great waiters, so much meat! My boyfriend and I went for restaurant week. They had 10 different meat options, all very delicious. The filet wrapped in bacon and ribs were our favorites. We left Chamas very full and very happy. The servers took care of us and made sure we tried everything. It was a great dining experience and I recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DecentOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/6/2014We have dined four times over the years at Chamas since they opened. The food is ok, and the service, once you make it known that you want service, is very good. They are moving to a smaller space, and my hope is that the food and service will reach a higher level because of the smaller setting.Special Features:
- Very tastyShaunaIAmDined on 6/6/2014Buffet itsself is pretty good and filling so don't be afraid of just getting that option! We chose to do the full rodizio and it was delicious! The waiters coming around with the meat were always available if needed and we had no concerns during our visit.Special Features:
- Something different ....DJS2Dined on 6/6/2014Service was good ... food was good ... would have liked for the items on the buffet to have all been labeled as this was our first time at a Brazilian steak house ... the atmosphere was neat (but they're moving soon so I'm not sure what the new place would be like .... overall it was good ... I'd go back, not so sure about my mom and my daughter (who aren't quite as adventurous).Special Features:
- Great optionsjanrebeccaDined on 6/5/2014You can either get the buffet which has salads, seafood, soups and is a complete meal on its own, or you can add the experience of endless meats including sausage, different types of steak, chicken (my favorite), pork, etc. Their signature cocktail is amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lots of meatsilvrshdwDined on 6/4/2014The meats are largely very tasty. The pork and sirloin tasted a bit off, and the sausage didn't have much flavor. But the lamb, garlic steak, and flank steak were amazing. (We didn't bother with chicken at that price.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehDineOnDined on 6/3/2014I'm definitely glad I tried this place, and glad it was during restaurant week so the price was reduced, but I would not go back. Our waitress couldn't tell us what meats there were and gave us a wine list book with no pages. There was only one other table of 2 people, which I always feel is a red flag/detracts from the experience. The food was yummy, but it's just too much food. And my biggest issue - gratuity automatically added to our check of only 2 people.Special Features:
- Bad Brazilian SteakhouseFoodieDined on 6/2/2014My friends and I went here during the Triangle Restaurant week and I had hoped it would be good. Unfortunately it was not, there was hardly anyone there, which should've been the first sign. The salad bar was pitiful, 4 hot sides, some cheese, salad and toppings, and some meats. The mash potatoes and fried bananas were good, not hard to do, but the meat was just bad. The majority of the meat was overcooked to the point where I couldn't actually chew it. The chicken and filet mignon were my favorite, but the bacon wrapped around it was way too salty. When you pay a good amount of money for a place like this you expect some high quality stuff, which was not the case. I've been to other Brazilian Steakhouses and this was just pathetic. Skip it
- service needs improvementgreyDined on 5/31/2014When we went we were seated inside near the walls there were a few other parties around us who were seated and it took almost 10 mins before anyone came to help them. Our party had a very attentive waitress but I cant say that was the case for all the tables. If you pay this much for a dining experience servers should be very attentive to people in their sections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great First Experiencelawlivero52Dined on 5/11/2014I've never been to a Brazilian Steakhouse before, and Chamas was a great introduction to it. The salad bar was delicious, and I stuffed my face with the most meat I've ever eaten in my life. The service was great, friendly, and accommodating. I'd definitely recommend this place to a friend, though it is a bit different than any restaurant I've ever been to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for low-carb eaters!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/10/2014We are on a low-carb diet. This was fantastic. Great salad to start and the meat was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/9/2014It's great for date night. Not your typical dining experience. All the staff was so eager to please. All the food was delicious. Plus, it was my birthday and treated me to desert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique but mediocreJamesVIPDined on 4/26/2014This isn't a bad choice if you're looking for an alternative to the typical reataurant. However, you will be disappointed if you compare Chamas to real Brazilian steakhouses or even an American steakhouses. The quality of meat is much closer to Longhorn than Wolfgang's. I think the prices are fair at $40 for the full service dinner excluding drinks and dessert.
- Maybe it was an off nightWhiteEagleDined on 4/25/2014We really wanted something off the "A La Carte" menu that was posted on the website but the waiter didn't seem to be aware of it. To make things easier all around we opted for the full blown dinner and we weren't disappointed by the quality of the meats. However, after deciding to go with the full meal and receiving our drinks, we never saw our waiter again for the entire meal. At some point we did get a waitress but I don't think she was actually assigned to us because she thought someone else was bringing us our check. Bottom line, the food was very good but the service was at best fair. We were also disappointed that the "A La Carte" menu from the website was not available.Special Features:
- CookieCookieDined on 4/7/2014I have been to quite a few of the Brasilian steakhouses and I'm afraid this one did not live up to comparable ones-the salad bar was limited and catered more to an American palate. The service was excellent. The sides they brought limited to mashed potatoes and fried bananas. We also were brought only three small pieces of cheese bread and kept asking for more but they keep saying they were in the oven all night so we never got any. The place felt large and empty. I feel for the limited food and expensive price tag it was not worth the price. I would not go again.Special Features:
- Great taste, limited selectionNuminescentDined on 4/4/2014I am used to churrascaria restaurants in large cities, where one can run laps around the salad bar, and you get stuffed before they run out of choices to try. By comparison, Chamas Churrascaria is fairly modest. The salad bar was very fresh and had some delectable choices, including smoked salmon and heart-of-palm, but otherwise the selection did not range beyond standard salad bar fare. The meats were delectable, and to the right level of doneness (a gaucho asked me whether I preferred my meat on a rare or more well done side). But while I was still getting going, the choices started repeating. Of course I did not mind getting second and third helpings of garlic steak and chicken legs, but overall I would have liked greater variety.Special Features:
- Nice evening!YuyoDined on 4/3/2014We went to have dinner with my wife and my mother in law. The food was excellent! The personal friendly! Do not miss it!Special Features:
- very good food and seriveMRNSDined on 3/26/2014We enjoyed the food, both the variety and the quality of meat as well as the salad bar. Actually, the salad bar, with the variety of seafood and cheeses is a great meal for itself. Nice selection of desserts.Special Features:
- Anniversary dinnerQuesDined on 3/14/2014Servers was attentive, friendly. Food was fresh and of the highest quality. Meat was tender and flavorful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth it!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/25/2014We were traveling through and gave this restauant a try for something different. My husband said the meat was good however the salad bar and seafood options were not impressive. Hot food was dried out and cold choices were blah! The side of potatoes were very salty and a bit watery in texture. We are foodies so if you are ok with simple blah Buffett food and ok with spending the money for just meat then you will be ok. The building is very cool and atmosphere is nice.
- Great Place!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/17/2014I will definitely recommend this restaurant to my friends and family. Everything was just right from the amazing food to the romantic ambiance. The only thing I wish was different was if they had offered tapas. My husband and I went for tapas which were not being offered at that time. Had I known that in advance we would have gone elsewhere. I have learned that if you are planning on eating at a Brazilian steakhouse, you should come hungry. Unfortunately I was not hungry enough for the full buffet and meat options, but seeing as I only had two choices, I went all out and got the whole shebang. Either way I give this place 5 stars and can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Pretty good food, but very priceyDanielDined on 2/15/2014So my girlfriend and I decided to try something new this Valentine's day. The meat was definitely tender, but not really seasoned all that much and there is not a salt or pepper shaker in sight! The buffet bar was tasty and had a pretty good selection. I had a good experience, i just feel like we definitely did not get our moneys' worth.Special Features:
- Very AuthenticNext40yrsDined on 2/15/2014Food was great service was great especially with the volume of business they do. Felt very authentic and enjoyed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverRATED!Nikka37Dined on 2/14/2014Was told by waiter that there were 14 types of meat to offer. Only had 5 and which were steak, pork loin, sausage, chicken, and bacon wrapped chicken. It was busy so we had to beg for more refills. We were in the corner and had to flag the guys for service.Special Features:
- We dined on Valentines daygreatfoodgreatlifeDined on 2/14/2014We dined on Valentines day and the service was lacking. The food was fantastic and the carvers were abundant but the wait staff seemed to be having difficulty. That should have been expected and preparations made. For the price, there is no excuse for not having drinks and getting mashed potatoes toward the end of the meal. Nor did the waiter ask if we were familiar with the concept. We waited on plates for everything and drinks that were not from the bar. Those came quickly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful againChinsmomDined on 2/7/2014Always a treat for us to come here. We celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary here and the service and attention to detail couldn't of been better. The food was excellent with well prepared meats and side dishes. Enjoyed our experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.