4343 N Lincoln
Chicago, IL 60618Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.chalkboardrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7734777144
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Tuesday: Closed, Wednesday - Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary European, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Gilbert Langlois
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, High Tea, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Cross Street: Montrose & Lincoln
- Public Transit: Lincoln bus 11 (Montrose/Lincoln stop), Montrose bus 78 (Montrose/Lincoln stop), Western bus 49 (Montrose/Western stop - 5 minute walk), Montrose Brown Line (10-15 minute walk), Western Brown Line (10-15 minute walk)
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Limited metered and free street parking.
A word from Chalkboard
Chef Gilbert Langlois, Elizabeth Laidlaw and their young son Owen would like to welcome you to their restaurant in Lincoln Square. Chalkboard features an ever-changing menu of carefully prepared dishes in an elegant, airy space. The daily offerings and thoughtfully chosen wines are handwritten on, what else? A chalkboard. Come experience for yourself one of the most loved restaurants in Chicago. We look forward to dining with you!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Chalkboard reviews from OpenTable diners
- A real charmerLBJackDined on 7/13/2013The setting has such a perfect quirky feel, nice table cloths, place settings and silver, space between tables and very attentive service. The food straight forward and perfectly executed. Menu covers a very good verity. Right out of the garden greens, scallops that are heavenly. The "Mac N Cheese" is rich, creamy and just a serving of home grown love. The bar is just as great, house made syrups, fresh juices and top shelf liqueur. The setting the nicest and most down to earth service you can imagine. When "a server" took a seat at our table that even after he introduced himself as the chef I needed till the next day to decide I loved his touch with guests! The bill ,I don't know how they can make any profit with such reasonable prices!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out with a whimperLeverettVIPDined on 7/13/2013The Chalkboard is closing soon and reopening as a brunch place so we thought we we would visit one last time to support this neighborhood restaurant. The place smelled like greasy fry oil as if the kitchen ventilation failed. Was not nice. Salad and scallop appetizer were good. My wife's shortribs were pretty good. My halibut and beans were bad. The fish wasn't cooked well and was Luke warm and the beans underneath were Luke warm or cold. We ate what we could and left.Special Features:
- Superb!Let11DownDined on 7/10/2013The service alone knocked us off our feet ... our server was personable, funny, so knowledgeable and offered good suggestions. Loved him! Shared the watermelon salad, scallops and mac 'n cheese --- sooooooooooo great! Had the pork belly entree -- no words can adequately describe how remarkable it was. Dining companion had the halibut and said it was really great. Wine choices dead on. We were full but our server talked us into the signature dessert at the end -- glad he did. I have never tasted anything like the "egg roll" with chocolate ice cream and sauce -- amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like having dinner with friendsRejectDined on 6/29/2013It was our first visit and we were treated like long time friends. Very attentive and welcoming chef and staff. We celebrated our anniversary and were treated to a special tour of the backyard garden where many of the herbs are grown. Coming from Texas, I was a bit relunctant about ordering the fried chicken, it did not dissapoint. The chicken was tender, juicy and the crust extra crispy, served over a bed of incredible mashed potatoes and perfect greens. We were surprised with two delicious desserts. It was a wonderful experience and we will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyableChicagoDined on 6/29/2013Nice atmosphere and service along with great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service superbOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/3/2013We had a wonderful, quiet Monday evening dinner. Our food was delicious, though I would cut back a bit on the vinegar in the house salad dressing. The fried chicken was great as always, and the greens were nicely firm, even sandwiched between the chicken and the mashed potatoes. Our server was really great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!!!!foodielisa13Dined on 6/3/2013Came here for my birthday and was blown away! I must say I call myself a foodie and was beyond impressed. There were three of us and to start we had the scallops, crab salad, and oxtail... couldn't pick a favorite if i tried! The cheddar biscuits we got with dinner were so good i wanted to ask for more! We all had the fried chicken and it lives up to the hype. Crispy and juicy with a little kick... perfect. You can not leave without trying the mac n' cheese because it is outstanding! If you thought the raving was over it isn't. The fried cookie dough wanton is a reason for living! Needless to say, I will be back very, very, very SOON!Special Features:
- Weird experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/2/2013Went for brunch, and there were only 3 parties there at any one time. Service was still erratic - coffee not refilled and water slow in coming. Was given a menu, then had it taken away and said that only the starred items on the chalkboard were available, and there were 6 of them. I said, ", so the pancakes aren't available?" The waitress said "well we could make you those." So are the menu items available or not? Never got a drink menu, we ordered mimosas, but who knows what else there was. Need to have more brunch options; not sure why they are even open. I felt like I was at someone's house and making them feed me. There was a couple who got their food, and apparently gave up waiting for a server because they up and left without eating.
- ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/25/2013Restaurant overall was good but would have preferred a bit more energetic crowd.Special Features:
- The menu was very limitingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/25/2013The menu was very limiting and the steak was very tough. We probably would not return because there are so few things to order. The scallops were outstanding!Special Features:
- bland foodadamDined on 5/24/2013Skate and salmon were a little funky and bland. Service was good but food definitely not worth the price
- Highly RecommendKimRevDined on 5/23/2013Loved it! Have been wanting to check out Chalkboard for a long time and decided to have my birthday dinner there. What a great dining experience. Our servers were wonderful and the food was outstanding. Check out the website and you'll get a good idea of what to expect. I will definitely come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chalkboard rocks!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/12/2013I have already referred Chalkboard to a million friends - and it is my Go To spot for good food on a night out, with people I really want to make happy. Special occasions, anniversaries, birthdays and my Go To spot for getting together with friend's that I want to really have be a special night. Also - my husband and I just about lived there in the Winter - it was our Cheer Ourselves Up spot. Cannot recommend it highly enough!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeJohnHDined on 5/10/2013Reminds me of neighborhood restaurants in Europe. Feels like you are walking into the chef's living room, so you immediately get a sense of the mood of the place. Great food and fried chicken that is some of the best I've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good, not great.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/27/2013Food was good, not great. Loved the decor. Rather loud. So with upscale prices, I would say overall I would not recommend.
- We were the only ones in theMelissaVIPDined on 4/25/2013We were the only ones in the restaurant and our waiter was totally attentive and didn't make us feel like we were an annoyance or anything. The food was great and the wine was tasty. It's a cool little place and I hope more people check it out.Special Features:
- Good food and good service,OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/20/2013Good food and good service, but there are better places in the neighborhood.
- The fried chicken and macOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/19/2013The fried chicken and mac & cheese were out of this world! The salad was over salted to the point that you really couldn't eat it. The desert was fabulous. One of the best carrot cakes I have tasted. Thank you for a nice pre-theatre meal.Special Features:
- I like the place, but theGinaDined on 4/17/2013I like the place, but the food didn't live up to my expectations...I would, however go back and try it again.Special Features:
- We had a fantastic meal, andOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 4/14/2013We had a fantastic meal, and the price was great for the high quality of the food. We will be back, soon.Special Features:
- Well prepared variety of dishesOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 4/6/2013Well prepared variety of dishes with great presentation.- From seafood to hanger steak. Romantic cozy bistro with just the right ambiance for a first date or anniversary or dinner with the girls. Great wine and beer selections. Its one of my favorite places to eat and relax.Special Features:
- Good found, a great atmosphere,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/25/2013Good found, a great atmosphere, but very high prices. $25 for fried chicken and mash potatoes? A return trip cannot be justified.
- Great Tea Service!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/24/2013My two girlfriends and I visited the Chalkboard for afternoon tea and it was delicious. They had a table waiting for us upon arrival right in the window which was nice. I had the strawberry cream herbal tea and it was wonderful. Our waitress was even sweet enough to write it down for me if I wanted to purchase it. My friends tea was tasty as well. They also brought out small sandwiches, scones and pastries for us to split. The desserts were hands down AMAZING. There was a fudge, small fruit tart and and a crispy dessert wonton filled with soft cookie filling. Perfect sizes as well because of how rich the desserts were. I would love to try brunch here sometime, after getting a taste of what they have to offer!Special Features:
- I have been dining at ChalkboardOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/10/2013I have been dining at Chalkboard for years and it is always a wonderful experience. The food is outstanding. The waitstaff is so lovely. And the ambiance is beautiful. Each time I dine there, I bring a new friend(s) and they are always so impressed. This past Sunday, I was celebrating my birthday and it was the perfect place to go for a champagne brunch. Next, I want to try their Saturday afternoon tea service. I am sure it will be lovely.Special Features:
- excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/6/2013My husband and I went for our anniversary and had a great time. The chalkboard menu was fun.Special Features:
- Went for brunch. The menuOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/3/2013Went for brunch. The menu is extremely limited -- not a vegetable or fruit in sight. The atmosphere is very old fashioned, which can be nice but this restaurant needs a major facelift. The service was indifferent. All in all, a disappointing experience .
- Second visit to Chalkboard,OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/3/2013Second visit to Chalkboard, first brunch. Food was again very nice as was the service. We will return for dinners and brunch in the future. Love their cassoulet!Special Features:
- Great spot for a date. RisottoOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/15/2013Great spot for a date. Risotto was great, Lobster and Scallop appetizers were real good. The Price Fix Three course meal is a great deal. Only problem was the trout lacked seasoning, lentils were under cooked and the entire dish was a major let down. I dont recommend choosing the Trout Dish that they have to offer currently. Although, considering they have a chalk board for a menu, it will probably change by the time this gets published! HA!Special Features:
- The food was terrific, andOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/15/2013The food was terrific, and our wait staff was excellent! Took very good care of us! Would go back again anytime.Special Features:
- Scallops were excellent, andFirstTimeDined on 2/14/2013Scallops were excellent, and the brie grilled cheese is to die for! The fried chicken is good, and it's a little spicy, but I thought it was a touch bland. My wife had the steak and it was also very good. I think they could improve their red wine list, and that's the only drawback in my opinion. Service was great and the scene was excellent.Special Features:
- The place is very quaint andOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/13/2013The place is very quaint and romantic. The menu is written on the chalkboard which is charming, however, it gives no descriptions, which I found a little annoying because I wanted to know how everything was prepared and what went with it. After asking the waiter to describe several dishes, I gave up asking and it was hard for me to remember what he did say. The food was good but had some flaws; the cheese plate had a nice selection, but the crackers were stale, our Gnocchi was a little tough and most likely not house made; however the sauce was very flavorful. The steak in the mushroom sauce was delicious, but could have used less truffel oil and the brussel sprouts were a little undercooked and lacked flavor.Special Features:
- I was looking for a new placeOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/2/2013I was looking for a new place to take friends that wasn't in the River North/Near North/Lincoln Park area that we typically frequent. I selected Chalkboard solely on the basis of the Open Table neighborhood and price criteria and then a review of the ratings. It was a great choice - great food and wine list, all at reasonable prices for the quality. We went with the prix fixe menu and loved all three courses. The duck cassoulet was excellent.
- Love, love, love this spotpikapptcuVIPDined on 1/25/2013Love, love, love this spot in Lincoln Square. Menu is constantly changing, but there is one dish that is always available. Must try the fried chicken. Oh so good!Special Features:
- For the price, I really feelOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/19/2013For the price, I really feel there are much better options in Lincoln Square. Service was pretty poor, not the greatest bar tenders. Great concept, poor execution.
- Almost everything about ChalkboardhlblackmonDined on 1/19/2013Almost everything about Chalkboard was fantastic-the decor, the atmosphere, and the food all outstanding. However, we felt incredibly rushed by our server. We were out with friends for a birthday dinner, and we already had an early reservation. We felt like we were being pushed out to make room for the later diners.Special Features:
- N. GonzalesNG1981Dined on 1/18/2013Great dining experience. The food was excellent. The service was great. This past weekend we dined at Chalkboard and a Michelin starred restaurant and Chalkboard was definitely the better restaurant.Special Features:
- High marks for ChalkboardEatOutNowVIPDined on 1/18/2013First time dining at Chalkboard, we were very happy we gave it a try. The quaint setting is a nice change from all of the glossy/slick interiors we have been in recently. The limited, but interesting menu offers something for everyone. We were fortunate to have a wonderful server who immediately set the tone for a relaxed and delicious evening. Do not pass up the fried chicken and buttermilk mashed potatoes. Easy street parking was the icing on the cake! We will definitely return.Special Features:
- Always love eating here...it'sChitownVIPDined on 1/10/2013Always love eating here...it's a great experience!
- The food was delicious! WeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/5/2013The food was delicious! We did the prefixed menu and it was very generous in portion. Also they permit you to bring in your own bottle of wine for $25 corking fee which is nice perk. The only downside of the menu is that its on a chalkboard and doesn't offer all the details. Generally I never look at the menu on the website before I dine, but in this case, it's a must.Special Features:
- Just Went for Birthday; Will ReturnOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/5/2013The Chalkboard is a restaurant that accomplishes the difficult task of making themselves stand out in a city full of restaurants. Their ambiance and very friendly waitstaff sets the tone and mood perfectly to allow you to enjoy their unique but not uppity menu. Other places along their same criteria just try too hard, and come off as pretentious, however the Chalkboard does not. They are a fun, hip group with a great menu (expect it to be limited, that's the point) and a delicious wine menu. Definitely check it out.Special Features: