29 North Street
Healdsburg, CA 95448Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chalkboardhealdsburg.com/
- Phone: 7074738030
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily 5:00pm-Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Shane McAnelly
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Wine Bar
A word from Chalkboard
Chalkboard restaurant, open May 2013 under Executive Chef Shane McAnelly, offers a modern small plates menu emphasizing seasonal and technique-driven fare. McAnelly sources much of his menu from local purveyors and farms, with many ingredients coming from the restaurant’s own dedicated 3-acre vegetable and herb garden located at nearby Chalk Hill Estate Vineyards. Highlights on the daily changing menu include crudos and tartare, house-made pastas, just picked salads, roasted and grilled meats and seafood. The dining room has been completely remodeled into a contemporary and welcoming space with an open kitchen, new banquettes, hardwood floors, hand-forged iron finishes. The bar has also been renovated to create a lively environment with new finishes such as a Carrera marble bar-top. Offerings of local wine flights and an extensive list of wine-by-the-glass are a major focus at Chalkboard, as well the cocktail menu inspired by fresh ingredients from the Chalk Hill garden.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerTapas / Small Plates
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Chalkboard - Best Restaurants in Healdsburg ›
Chalkboard reviews from OpenTable diners
243 reviews since April 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (187)special occasion (99)great for outdoor dining (94)neighborhood gem (87)notable wine list (83)good for groups (62)romantic (61)great for lunch (45)hot spot (40)vibrant bar scene (26)great for brunch (15)kid-friendly (8)late-night find (6)scenic view (2)Show More
- A home run!OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/17/2014Enjoyed an absolutely superb meal here - my son and I shared 7 small plates (we had trouble choosing as so many sounded wonderful), and each one was outstanding. From the whimsical pretzel with three dipping sauces, to a summer salad and delicious beets, to tender yellowfin tuna. We also enjoyed two Italian dishes - spaghetti along with a meatball dish - excellent texture, scrumptious sauces and flavor. The wine options we're outstanding as well. Our server could not have been lovelier. Highly recommend Chalkboard.Special Features:
- The Best!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/17/2014In a town known for great food, Chalkboard is by far the best! The pork belly biscuits is the most perfect dish ever! Every dish is inventive and works. The menu changes frequently but the favorites stay. A fabulous restaurant and has quickly become my favorite! And Becca is wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beyond fabulous meal and wineOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/16/2014This restaurant was excellent. Great service. excellent wine list, amazing food. If you eat outside in the evening, you might want to bring a wrap or sweater. There are heaters, but not all tables are get the heat. Inside was pretty noisy. I was glad we had an outside table...much quieter.Special Features:
- Always great.GoGiantsVIPDined on 8/15/2014Chalkboard continues to be our favorite place for any special (or even not so special) evenings. The "old stand-bys" like the pork biscuits remain superb. The newer dishes, like the peppers, are amazing. Love them donuts for dessert. Go to Chalkboard, you will walk away happy (and at very reasonable prices on top of it all).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New favorite!HldsbrgDined on 8/15/2014We had an amazing time at Chalkboard! Definitely my new favorite place!! Everything was delicious...can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always interesting!rakshiDined on 8/12/2014As usual, we had a delightful meal at Chalkboard. The often-changing menu is consistently flavorful and fresh, with memorable highlights. Pasta dishes are especially subtle and delicious. The ambiance is casual and quiet enough for group conversation, the service is always spot-on, and prices are within the grasp of mere mortals. It's clearly the standout among the small-plates options in Healdsburg.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great Healdsburg findwhiteweinVIPDined on 8/10/2014Chalkboard has just become a new favorite haunt for our Wine Country visits. The food was extraordinary and the server was splendid with great knowledge of the dishes and the wine list. We had mostly small plates and each was better than the last. Many wonderful options even for vegetarians. We will be back whenever we are in Healdsburg.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MissionmomDined on 8/9/2014We thought that the salads our group had were very good. The entree dishes were okay.
- GC140FBCVIPDined on 8/9/2014I had read about this restaurant before it even opened, and I could tell that this was my kind of place! The big small plates were so delicious, and presentation was lovely. It was impossible for my husband and I to order and eat everything that appealed to us. So, we will definitely be back and sample what we missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!JimmyDined on 8/8/2014One of the best meals in recent memory. Everything was outstanding. Definitely stop by!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crab Tater TotsScrollsguyDined on 8/7/2014Crab filled tater tots topped with crab and creme fraiche. Need I say any more?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting concoctionsBingbingDined on 8/6/2014Lovely patio and good wait staff...what one expects in a Relais & Chateaux hotel-connected restaurant. The menu is interesting and fairly diverse, although not very extensive. The novelty (good) of some of the dishes left me wanting a larger selection from which to choose. The dungeness crab tatertots were a treat, even if 'tatertot' base was a bit overcooked, and grandma's biscuit recipe was put to shame by the pork belly biscuits. Lovely garden fresh green salad with peach and pistachios followed by the lightest meatballs on earth (almost as light as the biscuits). Almond pound cake nice, not too sweet ending. Only regret: wish menu were longer to warrant multiple visits with no repetitions.Special Features:
- Delicious mealDianeMDined on 8/6/2014This was our second meal here, just vacationing in the area and liked it so much last year we came back again. We weren't disappointed as we had another lovely dinner. The small plates are plenty generous, and the offerings were creative, very fresh and tasty. And the setting is lovely too.Special Features:
- Excellent meal & serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/2/2014We got off to a rocky start when the unprofessional/unpracticed hostess didn't acknowledge us when we 1st entered as she chit-chatted with her coworker and then proceeded to give us the 2-top hanging out at the end of the entrance hallway (what what?!). The manager noticed us looking around to see if there might be a better table to move to, and he took the initiative to ask us if we'd prefer to sit somewhere else, which we did. We were reseated in the outdoor patio, which had other 2-tops available. He told us more people ask to move from that table than anywhere else. After that, we enjoyed the food and our friendly server. The bruschetta 3 ways, fresh grilled corn, the pastas ... delicious, fresh and seasonal with inventive combinations.Special Features:
- Great anniversary dinner!PatriciaDined on 8/2/2014This place was recommended by a friend. The staff was very accommodating about where we wanted to sit. The food is excellent and the waiter was every helpful with awesome recommendations. They are small plates to share and each one was delicious from the calamari a la plancha to the grilled Brentwood corn with queso fresco/grilled lime/cilantro/chipotle crema(who knew corn could be so gourmet?!) and more. We were bold and even tried the squid ink gigli (pasta)-yummmm. The wine menu was excellent. We passed on the dessert but hear that the "candy bar" is heaven.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic SpotNanshamzDined on 8/2/2014We absolutely loved Chalkboard. The food is inventive and interesting and absolutely delicious. The drinks are fantastic too--especially the drink specials. Our group of 6 had so much fun sharing all the dishes we ordered. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:
- Deceptively cool.stevexDined on 8/1/2014Chalkboard doesn't look like much from the outside, pretty small and all, but it opens up into a delightful place. The food is presented as small plates, served family-style, and they are delicious! Some of our favorites were the jalapeno pasta, the crab 'tater tots', the calamari, and the sliders, which had some of the juiciest, most flavorful meat I've had in a long time. The service was impeccable. We would definitely come back here.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 7/31/2014The small pates are large enough for two to split. You can enjoy a variety of items which are very good.Special Features:
- wonderful experienceguestDined on 7/30/2014The service was perfect, the food was delicious, and the wine list was great. All around great time.Special Features:
- So Good I went back the next nightturutoni24Dined on 7/30/2014I took my son and his family for birthday dinner. He picked Chalk Board for his 51st birthday dinner. Great waiter, atmosphere and the food was exquisite. The waiter was superb at explaining every item. My 16 year old grand son was with us and I didn't know how he was going to handle dinner. Well he shocked us all loved it only 2 items he would not go for ,but he gobbled up the calamari which was sautéed and not fried. So good I took a friend there the next night for dessert and . Thanks Chalk Board.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- exceptional, relaxed and attentivecafeireneDined on 7/29/2014We had a terrific and relaxed evening with excellent service and guidance from our warm welcome when we arrived until after lingering over several courses of small plates then dessert, we left. No missed notes - and very reasonable pricing even thru the wine list and special drinks. We look forward to many more meals here. So many great flavours, but the coconut cream pie has completely won us over.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very satisfying lunchJudyVIPDined on 7/29/2014This was the second time in a week that my daughter and I have enjoyed lunch at Chalkboard. The eggplant appetizer is worth ordering. Rich and tasty served with chips for scooping. Another pasta dish, fairly new to the menu, is the pico de gallo. Along with the tagliatelle, both dishes are satisfying. I'm sold on the Makers' Mark ice cream while my daughter is faithful to the Donut Duo. If you've never tried a King's Ransom cocktail, it's a show stopper!Special Features:
- Dining at ChalkboardDRRRVIPDined on 7/28/2014I went with a group of friends that really enjoyed their small plate entrees. Based on the description of the restaurant, I had assumed they'd accommodate a gluten-free diet. Unfortunately, I was mistaken. Our waiter wasn't informed about how to help, not did he really seem to care. I was requested to give a credit card to hold our reservation, just in case we cancelled. I was reminded with 2 phone calls and an email... a little excessive. When we arrived at the restaurant, there was almost no other tables that were full. Strange, since they were such sticklers on holding the reservation.
- Dining with out of state friendsMorcellaDined on 7/26/2014We always enjoy sharing amazing places with our friends. This was a hit! Our second time there and again every dish was interesting and delish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/25/2014Fresh ingredients, well prepared food. Concise and solid wine list, and recently added outdoor seating. Our service was great, kept the dinner flowing nicely and made great recommendations as we moved from course to course. Overall a great experience and highly recommended!Special Features:
- Out of orderJudyVIPDined on 7/25/2014Love this spot for late lunch on weekends. While the food was all so good, it was presented "out of order." I had ordered the corn as an appetizer, but my entree was served first. Oh well, all the dishes were well prepared and our waiter most gracious. They were out of sliders when we ordered so my daughter chose something else. Five minutes later we could hear orders going in for sliders... we would have waited those five minutes for her to have her first choice of meal. The Donut Duo is deadly! Yum!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/24/2014We were there for a occasion, for dessert. Was great. Waiter very helpful with choices, and amounts. loved everything. We all plan to returnSpecial Features:
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/23/2014WOW. Ate here for a special occasion and everything was perfect. Our server, Stefan, was extremely knowledgable, friendly, and attentive. The food came out in a timely manner. We ordered 7 plates and we never felt like we waited too long for any of them...after we finished one dish, we had another one on the table to work on. For dessert we asked to sit outside near the fire pit, and our server didn't mind brining our dessert out to us. The ambience was amazing...the music fit the mood and the chairs were extremely comfortable. It felt like paradise. Do NOT miss the Pork Belly Biscuits or the Donuts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT RESTAURANT I LOVE COMING HEREWindsorWineGalDined on 7/23/2014I love coming to this restaurant for its casual elegant atmosphere, the food is always good, I like the small plates concept and I love the pork belly sliders! As much as possible comes from Chalk Hill estate culinary garden, the desserts are to die for - especially when you can get donuts! The wine list is fantastic and represents this area and Napa and Santa Barbara too. I enjoy being able to buy 3 different size pours for many wines, so you can have a taste of one or several and not feel guilty about it. This is a great place to be! The service is impeccable as well as they make everyone feel special. I highly recommend this restaurant to anyone for a great night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very enjoyablemaggieDined on 7/22/2014We had a very good dinner at Chalkboard, found the food extremely good, albeit one dish a bit salty, but it did say that on the menu. The portions were just right, the service very good and polite, friendly but not over friendly, i.e.. not too gushing which we do not like . All in all a very good evening and as we live locally and have just moved to this area, we will be returning often. Great that they served Pimms too.Special Features:
- DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/21/2014WE had a light dinner at the Chalkboard and had a great experience. The Chalkboard was recommended to us by the staff at Madrona Manor when we dinned at Madrona on Sunday nite July 20 . great find for a light meal and good wine list.Special Features:
- Superb!JohnnycanuckDined on 7/21/2014This was an excellent experience all-round and I recommend highly. Superb service, superb food and atmosphere. Very well-informed and personable staff. The roasted corn was to die for and the cocktails were interesting and tasty. There are a lot of choices of places to eat in Healdsburg, but do not pass this up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SRFoodieDined on 7/19/2014We had a wonderful dinner at Chalkboard last weekend. The food was outstanding - fresh ingredients, creative dishes - we loved every plate we ordered. Service was satisfactory. They were very busy and we had a bit of a wait between courses. Our only real complaint was the noise - it was terribly loud and we had to practically shout across the table to be heard. Will definitely return again for the food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!RobGDined on 7/17/2014The food absolutely blew me away. The taste, texture, aroma, presentation... It had all of it, and it was perfect. I normally don't take the time to write reviews, but this was exceptional!!! I highly recommend it if you are in the area, and if you not, get in your car and drive there, you'll be glad you did!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Meal but waiter was offTBMDVIPDined on 7/17/2014We had a great meal at Chalkboard food was memorable in a good way and waiter was memorable in a not so good way. He never introduced himself by name and when I asked him to explain a few dishes on the menu more fully he told me "the menu is self explanatory". He was a bit arrogant an aloof and not a people person at all. The calamari was delicious and desserts were fabulous - make sure to get the donuts of the day and candy bar dessert - my husband says best dessert he has every had at a restaurant!Special Features:
- Best Restaurant EverTheSportsVirusVIPDined on 7/17/2014We think this restaurant has the best food we have ever eaten. And this comes from 2 people who travel all over the country for work.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/16/2014Terrific place to eat in downtown Healdsburg. Great food and a fun place to try many different dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointedliveforfoodandwine1202Dined on 7/16/2014disappointed with the salmon preparation- steamed in a way that left the texture mushy. A last minute order of shrimp pot stickers (our attempt to redeem the meal) were even more disappointing -hard to identify the shrimp as it was more like a mealy flavorless sausage stuffed inside a wrap with no sauce-dry and flavorless. The sweet corn con queso with chipotle sauce was admittedly delicious. Our overall take a way was that you don't have to try that hard to make good food taste good. With all the fresh "farm to table" accessibility in the area the food just dosent need to be worked that hard and..... Wheres the beef? Sliders alone do not make a restaurant
- Wonderful !!PearlieDined on 7/15/2014Popped in after looking at the menu and what a fabulous meal !!! Great food, service, wine list, etc. A must visit while in H'burg !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceDebbieDined on 7/13/2014Our waitress was very attentive and gave good suggestions regarding the small plate selections. The only disappointment was the octopus dish. Everything else was really good and we had fun sharing the dishes. I would highly recommend.Special Features: