29 North Street
Healdsburg, CA 95448Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chalkboardhealdsburg.com/
- Phone: 7074738030
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily 5:00pm-Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Shane McAnelly
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Wine Bar
A word from Chalkboard
Chalkboard restaurant, open May 2013 under Executive Chef Shane McAnelly, offers a modern small plates menu emphasizing seasonal and technique-driven fare. McAnelly sources much of his menu from local purveyors and farms, with many ingredients coming from the restaurant’s own dedicated 3-acre vegetable and herb garden located at nearby Chalk Hill Estate Vineyards. Highlights on the daily changing menu include crudos and tartare, house-made pastas, just picked salads, roasted and grilled meats and seafood. The dining room has been completely remodeled into a contemporary and welcoming space with an open kitchen, new banquettes, hardwood floors, hand-forged iron finishes. The bar has also been renovated to create a lively environment with new finishes such as a Carrera marble bar-top. Offerings of local wine flights and an extensive list of wine-by-the-glass are a major focus at Chalkboard, as well the cocktail menu inspired by fresh ingredients from the Chalk Hill garden.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerTapas / Small Plates
Chalkboard - Best Restaurants in Healdsburg ›
Chalkboard reviews from OpenTable diners
233 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (186)great for outdoor dining (135)special occasion (95)notable wine list (83)good for groups (77)neighborhood gem (76)romantic (65)hot spot (38)great for lunch (33)vibrant bar scene (25)great for brunch (10)kid-friendly (7)late-night find (4)scenic view (2)Show More
- a dining event!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/19/2014Small plates- all delicious and inventive. Fun to shareSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NorthbayDined on 9/15/2014Good food and drink, service started slowing down when it got busy, could have used more servers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/13/2014Great food with beautiful presentation. The menu is unique and eclectic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lloydmanjohnDined on 9/12/2014We sat outside and although it was 88 degrees there was enough shade and comfortable. The menu and style was somewhat confusing as our party was not family and the setup was definitely for sharing. The dishes alone were superb but didn't lend themselves to creating a palate pleasing meal so it felt like raiding the fridge at midnight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/11/2014Delicious food, nice cozy atmosphere. We liked this place a lot and we will be happy to come back.Special Features:
- Great DinnernightcherylDined on 9/10/2014We sat outside on the patio, and this was a great setting. Service was topnotch! Our waiter helped us a bit in making selections that we shared between the 4 of us - almost tapas style. Everything was a delight and interesting tastes. Seared day boat scallops, warm roasted beets, eggplant - all yummy. While I don't normally order mixed drinks I did on this occasion and it was great - a little change from all the wine we drank that day!Special Features:
- Second order, please!supt493massDined on 9/9/2014First time to Healdsburg and was truly amazed at the food choices. Very glad we were recommended to try Chalkboard. The taglietelle with fresh summer vegetables and cream was so delicious, we ordered a second dish! Service was friendly and guided us through the menu choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pork Belly Biscuits!LadyDiDined on 9/8/2014A trip to Chalkboard is never complete without an order of the Pork Belly Biscuits - they are to die for! I love this restaurant - they have a fun selection of wines and an outstanding menu of small plates for sharing. This visit was my first to actually get a dessert - and we opted for the Ginger Scone with mascarpone and berries which was oh, so tasty. However, word to the wise - the desserts are NOT small plates!Special Features:
- Wish they offered a real restaurantLarryTVIPDined on 9/8/2014Not really a restaurant per se, St Francis Winery only offers a food and wine pairing to the general public, but trust me it's an exceptional one. While the wines were good they were nothing special in my opinion, but the food is beyond reproach. The tasting is well worth the price, as they honestly serve a meal. Every bite was stellar and the presentation of the plates spectacular. I would go again in a heartbeat for the food.Special Features:
- Terrific TerraceTheDonaldDined on 9/8/2014An all small plates restaurant with at least half being vegetable selections. Since it was late summer the terrace was terrific. Bordered by 4 huge Italian Cypresses and planted edges. In the center, two large sofas with flaming coffee tables in front. Waiter very professional. We shared six small plates (mandatory to share) with the most interesting being pasta with smokey paprika baked inside it. Spicy of course, but very good. Finished with coffee and a late harvest Viognier on the sofa. Ahhh life is good.Special Features:
- Great food & serviceLisaBVIPDined on 9/5/2014Just what Healdsburg needed in the old Cyrus space. Chalkboard has great food and wine and awesome service (our server Vito was the best), but isn't the least bit stuffy or pretentious. It's all small plates and great wine flights. Outdoor space is beautiful - fountain and great firepit tables. Inside has the bustling kitchen view. The menu is a bit all over the place - crudo, some vegetables, pastas, meats, but just go with it.Special Features:
- All goodmediadlsVIPDined on 9/5/2014Our 2nd time here and it did not disappoint. Scene is vary creative small plates. Nice wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ronroVIPDined on 9/5/2014Ambiance would be improved if they had tablecloths and chairs with cushions availableI would recommend this to a friend.
- 3rd Time and Still CharmingGaryandPaulaDined on 9/3/2014This was our 3rd time to Chalkboard over the last year. All three times great food and great service. The crab tator tots were a tad salty but otherwise yummy! French fries with black garlic BBQ sauce was amazing. We also had the arugula salad, calamari, and grilled corn. All yummy. To finish off the night we had the pasta seasoned with paprika with pork shoulder - great smokey combination that went with my the Witches Hand Pinot I was drinking. This all to celebrate my 600 month birthday. We will definitely be back in the near future.Special Features:
- Limited SelectionGBGGDined on 9/1/2014We had been to Chalkboard last year, but this year we were very disappointed. We were taking guests from out of town. The food selection was not good. There was not really a fish alternative except in a pasta. The meats were either red or fried, no healthy alternative.
- Memorable Meal in HealdsburgOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/1/2014Very enjoyable to experience many flavors tapas style in an inviting setting. All the vegetable dishes were superb. The bucatini had a nice bite, loved the sauce. The sliders were delicious; the blue cheese and rib jam made them stand out. We only tried the coconut creme pie and it was light, tasty, and tropical. They have a great drink menu and the flight of wine allows for a nice way to pair with food. Last but not least, service was friendly and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Off night?MangebienVIPDined on 8/31/2014We had a very mixed experience. We had planned a week-end up in Sonoma based on this restaurant being selected one of the 10 best new restaurants by Michael Bauer of the SF Chronicle. A good beginning almost fizzled. The gazpacho shots were excellent. The squid ink pasta was remarkable! But the tater tots had very little flavor. All the taste was in the topping but there was so little of it. Also the tuna with harissa was bland, as was the filtered coffee. We had a very competent and concerned waitress, but the bus service was very inadequate. Our water glasses were empty most of the meal and when I ordered an extra glass of wine from a bus person, it took 15-20 minutes to arrive. Too late! Meal was redeemed by coconut cream pie!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- well worth a visitTonesterDined on 8/30/2014The portions are larger than you'd expect for a high end tapas place and the meatballs were fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excelllent as usualBertDined on 8/30/2014Chef Shane continues to create wonderful combinations to try as small plates. Each dish was excellent and our group of four shared at least 10. As always, our favoriite dish was the Pork Belly Biscuits which melt in your mouth. We have dined at Chalkboard many times over the past year or so. We always look forward to returning for another fun meal.Special Features:
- small platesfarpointdiveVIPDined on 8/30/2014If you like to share and multiple, somewhat unusual flavors, you will like Chalkboard. it's a fun restaurant ...don't be in a hurry...just enjoy.Special Features:
- Great Food, Great NightanneincaDined on 8/29/2014This was my second visit to Chalkboard. The food is wonderful and the selections are well thought out. We had at least one item from each section of the menu. But be sure to save room for dessert!!! The "donuts of the day" are absolutely the best! They give a whole new meaning to the definition of "donut".Special Features:
- Enjoyable dinner with friendsBrunchLoverVIPDined on 8/29/2014We enjoyed splitting plates at this restaurant. The beets were delish. Wasn't in love with uni dishes. The scallops were very fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative menuSablePVDined on 8/29/2014We sat outdoor with our dog in the patio area. The service was friendly and attentive. The food was fun and creative. Our favorites were the pork belly biscuits, hamachi crudo and the duo donut dessert. It's a must do and a return place for us.Special Features:
- Fantastic FoodgreatfoodfinderDined on 8/28/2014The food and wine list are terrific! They also have two great bars, one inside and one on the beautiful patio. You cannot leave there without having the Pork Belly Biscuit.Special Features:
- really special!ChrissyDined on 8/27/2014this place knows what they are doing - and they are great at it! we had a very hard time choosing what to try - we ended up trying too many! (so full) the wine list is top notch. ask for the captain's list...you won't be sorry. service is on point - thank you andre and crew!Special Features:
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/23/2014We loved our dinner at chalkboard. The food was interesting and tasty, small plates for sharing, so we sampled lots of different dishes. Service was attentive and knowledgeable. We especially appreciated how gracious they were about reseating us in the outdoor section after we found the inside part too noisy. To clarify about the noise, parts of the inside were very noisy, but the outdoor area was fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food abd service too saltyfoodieviewDined on 8/23/2014Chalkboard had a nice outdoor atmosphere and bar but the food and service left little to be desired. With so many options in healdsburg they better step up their game. We complained about he food being too salty across the board to the manager and he had no comment. We had a party of 8 and everyone agrees the food was overly saltly . We we're also surprised at the lack of service provided by the manager in regards to our complaints.Special Features:
- GO!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/23/2014I never made it to Cyrus (the 2 star Michelin that preceded Chalkboard in that location). I've never had much of a desire to visit the French Laundry either. I can afford it (maybe once a year), but "overly" fine dining is just not my cup of tea. This place, on the other hand, is right up my alley. Artfully prepared food with incredible care shown to the balance of flavors, all done in an unpretentious and comfortable atmosphere. Everything was terrific, but the Calamari a la plancha is one of the best things I've had this year. Go.Special Features:
- fantastic experienceindikanegrilDined on 8/22/2014We loved it so much we went back for more! With all the great places in Healdsburg it was a tough call, but no one was hungry enough to consider going somewhere and being stuck with a big entree and just one type of dish! the tapas style small portions are so perfect for sharing and we pretty much tried almost everything on the menu with seven of us and there wasnt one unlikable dish in two nights. Dont leave out desert as it also outstanding !Special Features:
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/22/2014We've been here a few times -- always fabulous food! Can't stay away from the sliders. Great wine list, and fabulous cocktails.Special Features:
- On top of the TapasOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014We went to this restaurant because we know someone who grows vegetables for them. The food is very good and fresh. Interesting preparations and even though they are small plates there was plenty of food for all of us. Desserts were also innovative and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A home run!foodtravels06VIPDined on 8/17/2014Enjoyed an absolutely superb meal here - my son and I shared 7 small plates (we had trouble choosing as so many sounded wonderful), and each one was outstanding. From the whimsical pretzel with three dipping sauces, to a summer salad and delicious beets, to tender yellowfin tuna. We also enjoyed two Italian dishes - spaghetti along with a meatball dish - excellent texture, scrumptious sauces and flavor. The wine options we're outstanding as well. Our server could not have been lovelier. Highly recommend Chalkboard.Special Features:
- The Best!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/17/2014In a town known for great food, Chalkboard is by far the best! The pork belly biscuits is the most perfect dish ever! Every dish is inventive and works. The menu changes frequently but the favorites stay. A fabulous restaurant and has quickly become my favorite! And Becca is wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beyond fabulous meal and wineOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/16/2014This restaurant was excellent. Great service. excellent wine list, amazing food. If you eat outside in the evening, you might want to bring a wrap or sweater. There are heaters, but not all tables are get the heat. Inside was pretty noisy. I was glad we had an outside table...much quieter.Special Features:
- Always great.GoGiantsVIPDined on 8/15/2014Chalkboard continues to be our favorite place for any special (or even not so special) evenings. The "old stand-bys" like the pork biscuits remain superb. The newer dishes, like the peppers, are amazing. Love them donuts for dessert. Go to Chalkboard, you will walk away happy (and at very reasonable prices on top of it all).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New favorite!HldsbrgDined on 8/15/2014We had an amazing time at Chalkboard! Definitely my new favorite place!! Everything was delicious...can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always interesting!rakshiDined on 8/12/2014As usual, we had a delightful meal at Chalkboard. The often-changing menu is consistently flavorful and fresh, with memorable highlights. Pasta dishes are especially subtle and delicious. The ambiance is casual and quiet enough for group conversation, the service is always spot-on, and prices are within the grasp of mere mortals. It's clearly the standout among the small-plates options in Healdsburg.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great Healdsburg findwhiteweinVIPDined on 8/10/2014Chalkboard has just become a new favorite haunt for our Wine Country visits. The food was extraordinary and the server was splendid with great knowledge of the dishes and the wine list. We had mostly small plates and each was better than the last. Many wonderful options even for vegetarians. We will be back whenever we are in Healdsburg.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MissionmomDined on 8/9/2014We thought that the salads our group had were very good. The entree dishes were okay.
- GC140FBCVIPDined on 8/9/2014I had read about this restaurant before it even opened, and I could tell that this was my kind of place! The big small plates were so delicious, and presentation was lovely. It was impossible for my husband and I to order and eat everything that appealed to us. So, we will definitely be back and sample what we missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.