405 N San Pedro Rd
San Rafael, CA 94903Neighborhood:
BasquePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://chaletbasquemarin.com/
- Phone: (415) 479-1070
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Friday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Basque, French
- Executive Chef: Roger Minhondo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Chalet Basque
Welcome to the Chalet Basque restaurant, a family style restaurant serving dishes inspired by the Basque regions of France and Spain. Located in San Rafael, California, the owner and proud staff would like to invite you to come join us for our delicious cuisine, full bar, and outdoor patio. Our restaurant is also available for Banquets and parties upon reservation.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Chalet Basque - Best Restaurants in San Rafael ›
Chalet Basque reviews from OpenTable diners
68 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (50)great for outdoor dining (42)good for groups (27)fit for foodies (26)special occasion (19)great for lunch (17)romantic (14)kid-friendly (9)vibrant bar scene (8)great for brunch (4)notable wine list (3)Show More
- Very good mealnmhteacherVIPDined on 11/22/2014Especially like the menu, with things you seldom see (e.g., frog legs), though we had more usual items. Service was very efficient. Entree selections include soup and salad, making it a good value.
- A Bit of France in Marin CountysunflowerVIPDined on 11/13/2014Wonderful french food and service at this delightful restaurant. The menu is varied from sandwiches, burgers, salads to frog legs, rack of lamb and coq et vin. Every time I dine there is a delight (and I dine there frequently). This restaurant is out of the way, so it feels like a secret to be cherished.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yes!DebbieDined on 11/7/2014Good food, charming ambiance and friendly staff. The lamb shank and caesar salad were delicious. Don't go here if you want chain restaurant food! Wine selection was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well Worth a DrivekbloodVIPDined on 11/7/2014This place has been open since the early 1960s and the bar looks as if it has never been renovated. The dining room looks like it might have been re-done in the 80s -- so don't expect to be blown away by the decor! The food is simple and old-fashioned/home-style. Make sure you ask what is being served that night that is NOT on the menu -- it appears that locals are offered additional (delicious looking) options. The price for two at dinner (with a bottle of house wine) was incredibly reasonable. Looking forward to going back!Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/5/2014We had a wonderful anniversary dinner. Food was delicious and service was at just the right level of attentiveness.Special Features:
- Old time restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/25/2014A varied menu, with many items not found easily elsewhere, such as sweetbreads, tongue and tripe. Soup and salad are included in all dinners. Very reasonable prices.Special Features:
- Chalet BasquejweedDined on 10/18/2014food was excellent. better than I thought it would be. highlights were the rabbit, braised lamb, and beef bourguignon. service was a little slow but the place was packed. lowlights was the salad. I will eat here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Par ExcellenceMarmadukeDined on 10/10/2014As written before I keep[ going because it is my favorite Marin Restaurant.Special Features:
- Always GoodMarmadukeDined on 10/3/2014My most favorite restaurant in Marin County, repeat my most favorite,Special Features:
- Love this place!FrannyWhitDined on 9/19/2014You'll feel like you're transported back to another time and place. Loved our server's accent. Food is always fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marin GemCityWomanDined on 9/18/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our recent lunch at Chalet Basque. We dined on their lovely garden patio. The food was delicious (I had steamed mussels... so good!). After the main meal, we had sorbet and coffee... partly because the environment was so relaxing we just didn't want to leave!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- family style specialMarikaDined on 9/14/2014I love Chalet Basque! I have had dinner here several times over the past 17 years. I brought my family from out of town, and they loved the Sunday Special meal. The pate was a bit chunky but everything else divine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bella Bella !!DobeeDined on 9/13/2014We could have been sitting in Italy!! We had the best table, food, waiter, warm night. It was a special evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great diningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/12/2014I have eaten at Chalet Basque many times over the years - both for lunch & dinner. I keep coming back!Special Features:
- Special occasionAidaDined on 9/7/2014I love Chalet Basque- has been around many years! My father was French-Basque so i love walking in being well-greeted by friendly staff, hearing Basque music playing, Basque decor & especially the homemade delicious food. House wines are very authentic too. I feel right at home.Special Features:
- neighborhood gemdebbieVIPDined on 9/6/2014Happy to have found this very tasty restaurant. Located in an unlikely spot - suburban - it has casual but wonderful food. Service was great Prices were reasonable- Will be making this a regular stop.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occaision celebratedfunwfoodDined on 9/2/2014It was 2 birthdays and a wedding anniversary that brought us here. Our waitress was incredible! Very skilled, with a great sense of humor. We all had something different, and everything was delicious. This has become our place to celebrate, enjoy a beautiful table on the patio and enjoy wonderful service and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Service!JAG8386Dined on 8/23/2014Let's start by saying a server can make or break an evening. Our server Linda was fantastic. Loved her sense of humor. The menu is amazing. Loved all of the different choices. It was hard to decide with so many. We were a party of 6 and everyone loved their meal. We loved sitting outside on a warm summer evening. We will go back. Great find in a cozy corner of a quiet neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great dinner partylocalladyDined on 8/23/2014We had 10 people for a 90th Birthday dinner on a Saturday night. We were seated immediately and served drinks & appetizers. Our waitress (whose name escapes me) has served us previously & we just lover her, she is friendly & helpful as is her assistant, she & the food keep us coming back. The only negative comment I could make is that the soup is a little salty, but I have never ordered anything that I haven't liked and I will continue to go back for both lunch & dinner. We brought a cake for dessert & unlike many restaurants we were not charged a fee for them to cut & serve the cake. Maybe a small thing, but I appreciated it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not quite what I was expectingJoeFremontDined on 8/16/2014We were staying in the area and found the listing, not being familiar with basque food we thought it would be nice to try. Its in a neighborhood away from the center of town, They sat us at a nice outside table. the service was very good, only disappointment that the style of food was mostly french, and I would say for a high end french restaurant the food was average, still tasty and better than any corporate chain and we very much enjoyed our dinner,Special Features:
- Fresh, tasty and value!familyDined on 8/9/2014Old time charm with fresh and well prepared food items. from soup to chocolate dessert --- we enjoyed the meal with family. No fancy garnish and towering of food. Wholesome and balance --- it's a must do again.Special Features:
- DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/7/2014My husband and I have been coming to Chalet Basque for over 20 yrs on special occasions. It is one of our favorite restaurants and is almost always wonderful. This last visit was very disappointing however, as a dog was allowed to be in the dining room at the table of a very loud guest. This was NOT a service animal, which we would have understood. There were plenty of tables available on the patio. We will rethink coming again if that is going to be acceptable in this restaurant.Special Features:
- Long-time neighborhood favoriteLoriDined on 8/1/2014We've been coming here regularly for over 20 years, and last night's dinner was one of the best ever. Thank you, Roger, for continuing to give us wonderful, personal service in our quiet little neighborhood!Special Features:
- Good foodParty4Dined on 7/31/2014Party of 4. Everyone enjoyed their meal. Excellent Caesar salad!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor ExperienceShastagirlDined on 7/31/2014This was definitely an off night. The food took forever coming and was obviously left under the heat lamp because my rice was hard on top and my sole's breading was soggy. The waiter was impatient and sloppy, and did not satisfy our needs. The bees attacked my brother's paella. We were there celebrating his birthday. The food was very expensive considering the quality, preparation and wait time. It was my third visit. The first was okay. The second was quite good, and this was pretty bad.Special Features:
- DinnerGuteelternVIPDined on 7/29/2014returned to the Restaurant after 40years. Still wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 270 reviews are from the Chalet Basque reviews archive.
- A Little bit of the Basque in SROpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/23/2014We drove over 300 miles to eat here and it was worth it! This is a family run establishment and it is clear they care a great deal about how the place is run and how good the food is. Everything was perfect, the service was excellent, the place was very clean and the food was wonderful. It is a little out of the way but this gem won't disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pre/post theater diningpickleVIPDined on 7/16/2014This is a great restaurant to go to before or after a show at the Marin Center For the Performing Arts. Being a basque-style restaurant, the food is solid and plentiful, with wonderful warm garlic bread to start the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gary KirschnerGaryDined on 7/8/2014At one time it used to be our favorite restaurant. This time the service was awful,we were not happy the way our waiter treated us and the food was not like it used to be. I even had to go back to the kitchen to ask for a refill for my coffee because the waiter never showed up, and it was not in that crowded. We will wait a while before we come back, maybe things will improve.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/11/2014Server of thirty-three years was warm, friendly, attentive. She's a keeper!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Request Not HonoredCandybearDined on 5/28/2014Special birthday dinner for two, requested "nice" table, arrived a little early, but table given away -- sat in the bar which was quite noisy.Special Features:
- Hard to find dishesAlleycatDined on 5/28/2014Unique Tastes from the past - sweetbread, frogs legs as well as traditional favorites: shrimp scampi, veal piccata - perfect for before a civic center event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/25/2014Glass of red wine, veal (chalet basque) dinner and flan, my fiance had our usual filet with peppercorn sauce dinner. I decided to finally try something diffferent after several filets! Everything (potato soup and light salad) was good. I especially like their flan not too sweet an ending.Special Features:
- TroutmanSpecialDined on 5/25/2014Great food prepared to your personal specifications. Can't wait to go there again!Special Features:
- Very enjoyableNewAlbionOmnivoreDined on 5/24/2014We arrived for an early Saturday dinner. There was a high school graduation party in an adjacent room but it did not interfere with our enjoyment of Le Chalet Basque nor adversely affect the service. Most of the diners in our room appeared to be regulars. There is a nice outdoor patio. The food was French-Spanish inspired and quite good, but we did not find it particularly Basque. The first course was an excellent pate. That was followed by a watercress soup and very tasty salad. For our main courses we had a lamb shank and a veal chop with mushroom sauce, both of which were very flavorful and well-prepared. The wine list had a number of well-chosen and reasonably priced wines from both the old world and the new. Very enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- J. Paulsen-AuburnOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014Exceptionally busy night. We were seated within 10 minutes after our arrival (after making a last minute reservation) Notwithstanding the fact that it was packed, the service was excellent, neither late nor rushed. We would eat there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great San Rafael institution!zministerDined on 5/11/2014When we first moved to Marin our hairdresser recommended Chalet Basque and we've been going there for the last 15 years. Great Basque food and friendly service have been its trademark and it hasn't changed over time. Truly worth a visit if you live in Marin.Special Features:
- Wonderful Mother's DayAnita2020Dined on 5/11/2014My husband, brother in law and sister in law celebrated Mother's Day this past Sunday at Chalet Basque. My mother-in-law passed two years ago and was from the French Basque region. We were fortunate to celebrate a birthday with her a few years ago and she said the food was very authentic. Watercress soup and pate maison could not be better. We sat on the beautiful patio with the Spanish/French music and was transported to Europe without the jet lag. The chef even came out to say Hello and Thank You for coming. Such a nice touch. Merci Beaucoup to Chalet Basque for another great experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/7/2014Been going here for years.food is always excellent and the staff is very experienced and friendlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- authentic Basque foodNancyLuDined on 5/2/2014Hadn't been in a few years but the food is better than ever. A lovely salad with crumbled blue cheese and our meals were all fresh, and full of flavor. Special of the day Beef Bourginon was a delight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.