405 N San Pedro Rd
San Rafael, CA 94903Neighborhood:
BasquePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://chaletbasquemarin.com/
- Phone: 4154791070
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Friday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Basque, French
- Executive Chef: Roger Minhondo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Chalet Basque
Welcome to the Chalet Basque restaurant, a family style restaurant serving dishes inspired by the Basque regions of France and Spain. Located in San Rafael, California, the owner and proud staff would like to invite you to come join us for our delicious cuisine, full bar, and outdoor patio. Our restaurant is also available for Banquets and parties upon reservation.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
Chalet Basque - Best Restaurants in San Rafael ›
Chalet Basque reviews from OpenTable diners
61 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (45)great for outdoor dining (44)great for lunch (19)special occasion (17)fit for foodies (15)good for groups (15)romantic (14)kid-friendly (11)great for brunch (8)vibrant bar scene (5)notable wine list (5)scenic view (2)Show More
- A great dinner partylocalladyDined on 8/23/2014We had 10 people for a 90th Birthday dinner on a Saturday night. We were seated immediately and served drinks & appetizers. Our waitress (whose name escapes me) has served us previously & we just lover her, she is friendly & helpful as is her assistant, she & the food keep us coming back. The only negative comment I could make is that the soup is a little salty, but I have never ordered anything that I haven't liked and I will continue to go back for both lunch & dinner. We brought a cake for dessert & unlike many restaurants we were not charged a fee for them to cut & serve the cake. Maybe a small thing, but I appreciated it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not quite what I was expectingJoeFremontDined on 8/16/2014We were staying in the area and found the listing, not being familiar with basque food we thought it would be nice to try. Its in a neighborhood away from the center of town, They sat us at a nice outside table. the service was very good, only disappointment that the style of food was mostly french, and I would say for a high end french restaurant the food was average, still tasty and better than any corporate chain and we very much enjoyed our dinner,Special Features:
- Fresh, tasty and value!familyDined on 8/9/2014Old time charm with fresh and well prepared food items. from soup to chocolate dessert --- we enjoyed the meal with family. No fancy garnish and towering of food. Wholesome and balance --- it's a must do again.Special Features:
- DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/7/2014My husband and I have been coming to Chalet Basque for over 20 yrs on special occasions. It is one of our favorite restaurants and is almost always wonderful. This last visit was very disappointing however, as a dog was allowed to be in the dining room at the table of a very loud guest. This was NOT a service animal, which we would have understood. There were plenty of tables available on the patio. We will rethink coming again if that is going to be acceptable in this restaurant.Special Features:
- Long-time neighborhood favoriteLoriDined on 8/1/2014We've been coming here regularly for over 20 years, and last night's dinner was one of the best ever. Thank you, Roger, for continuing to give us wonderful, personal service in our quiet little neighborhood!Special Features:
- Good foodParty4Dined on 7/31/2014Party of 4. Everyone enjoyed their meal. Excellent Caesar salad!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor ExperienceShastagirlDined on 7/31/2014This was definitely an off night. The food took forever coming and was obviously left under the heat lamp because my rice was hard on top and my sole's breading was soggy. The waiter was impatient and sloppy, and did not satisfy our needs. The bees attacked my brother's paella. We were there celebrating his birthday. The food was very expensive considering the quality, preparation and wait time. It was my third visit. The first was okay. The second was quite good, and this was pretty bad.Special Features:
- DinnerGuteelternDined on 7/29/2014returned to the Restaurant after 40years. Still wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Little bit of the Basque in SROpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/23/2014We drove over 300 miles to eat here and it was worth it! This is a family run establishment and it is clear they care a great deal about how the place is run and how good the food is. Everything was perfect, the service was excellent, the place was very clean and the food was wonderful. It is a little out of the way but this gem won't disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pre/post theater diningpickleVIPDined on 7/16/2014This is a great restaurant to go to before or after a show at the Marin Center For the Performing Arts. Being a basque-style restaurant, the food is solid and plentiful, with wonderful warm garlic bread to start the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gary KirschnerGaryDined on 7/8/2014At one time it used to be our favorite restaurant. This time the service was awful,we were not happy the way our waiter treated us and the food was not like it used to be. I even had to go back to the kitchen to ask for a refill for my coffee because the waiter never showed up, and it was not in that crowded. We will wait a while before we come back, maybe things will improve.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/11/2014Server of thirty-three years was warm, friendly, attentive. She's a keeper!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Request Not HonoredCandybearDined on 5/28/2014Special birthday dinner for two, requested "nice" table, arrived a little early, but table given away -- sat in the bar which was quite noisy.Special Features:
- Hard to find dishesAlleycatDined on 5/28/2014Unique Tastes from the past - sweetbread, frogs legs as well as traditional favorites: shrimp scampi, veal piccata - perfect for before a civic center event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/25/2014Glass of red wine, veal (chalet basque) dinner and flan, my fiance had our usual filet with peppercorn sauce dinner. I decided to finally try something diffferent after several filets! Everything (potato soup and light salad) was good. I especially like their flan not too sweet an ending.Special Features:
- TroutmanSpecialDined on 5/25/2014Great food prepared to your personal specifications. Can't wait to go there again!Special Features:
- Very enjoyableNewAlbionOmnivoreDined on 5/24/2014We arrived for an early Saturday dinner. There was a high school graduation party in an adjacent room but it did not interfere with our enjoyment of Le Chalet Basque nor adversely affect the service. Most of the diners in our room appeared to be regulars. There is a nice outdoor patio. The food was French-Spanish inspired and quite good, but we did not find it particularly Basque. The first course was an excellent pate. That was followed by a watercress soup and very tasty salad. For our main courses we had a lamb shank and a veal chop with mushroom sauce, both of which were very flavorful and well-prepared. The wine list had a number of well-chosen and reasonably priced wines from both the old world and the new. Very enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- J. Paulsen-AuburnOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014Exceptionally busy night. We were seated within 10 minutes after our arrival (after making a last minute reservation) Notwithstanding the fact that it was packed, the service was excellent, neither late nor rushed. We would eat there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great San Rafael institution!zministerDined on 5/11/2014When we first moved to Marin our hairdresser recommended Chalet Basque and we've been going there for the last 15 years. Great Basque food and friendly service have been its trademark and it hasn't changed over time. Truly worth a visit if you live in Marin.Special Features:
- Wonderful Mother's DayAnita2020Dined on 5/11/2014My husband, brother in law and sister in law celebrated Mother's Day this past Sunday at Chalet Basque. My mother-in-law passed two years ago and was from the French Basque region. We were fortunate to celebrate a birthday with her a few years ago and she said the food was very authentic. Watercress soup and pate maison could not be better. We sat on the beautiful patio with the Spanish/French music and was transported to Europe without the jet lag. The chef even came out to say Hello and Thank You for coming. Such a nice touch. Merci Beaucoup to Chalet Basque for another great experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/7/2014Been going here for years.food is always excellent and the staff is very experienced and friendlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- authentic Basque foodNancyLuDined on 5/2/2014Hadn't been in a few years but the food is better than ever. A lovely salad with crumbled blue cheese and our meals were all fresh, and full of flavor. Special of the day Beef Bourginon was a delight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeNaimaDined on 5/2/2014Had gone there for years with my father - just took a friend for outdoor lunch. Delightful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 255 reviews are from the Chalet Basque reviews archive.
- Always consistentOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/20/2014I've been coming here since I was a kid... so about 30 years now... A lot of folks don't realize this place is here... kinda out of the way, but once you find it, you keep coming back. Not flashy just good solid Basque style food.. country French. Not heavy handed with the sauces... know how to cook meat.. Just really good food.Special Features:
- Never a disappointmentFineDineDined on 4/18/2014The food, service & atmosphere are always great. I always feel welcomed and whom ever is dining it becomes community at some point as people are enjoying themselves so much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Positive FeedbackBugsyDined on 4/17/2014Food and service was excellent. Love eating outside. We are never rushed. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the fact that I couldfoodieDined on 4/6/2014Loved the fact that I could get sweet breads though prefer it as a starter since the dish is so rich, The salad was very refreshing and was perfectly dressed. The duck was tasty and tender. The potato leek soup was also quite light which was a surprise. Am going to be a regular.Special Features:
- Very nice for an outdoor dinnerDerekwhDined on 4/6/2014My wife and I enjoyed a wonderful dinner on the patio. The dinner and service were excellent.Special Features:
- Beaucoup de Basque bienKokoDined on 4/4/2014My first visit here, but surely not the last. The menu is varied and quality of food was excellent. Service staff has been there for a long time, and their desire to make dining pleasant is very evident - but not overdone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerChuckDined on 3/29/2014We were greeted by the owner enthusiastically, the table was great, the waitress was friendly and professional. Escargot were hot and delicious. My wife had the petrale which she loved. I had the lamb shanks which were cooked perfectly, but the sauce, to my taste was a little bland. The salads were fine, a little too much dressing, but that is a taste issue. The soup was perfect. Enjoyable dinner, we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I've eaten here many timesNorthstarVIPDined on 3/28/2014I've eaten here many times before, and it is always a satisfying experience.Special Features:
- Delicious and comfortableKiscoQVIPDined on 3/21/2014Lovely little place on the edge of San Rafael. Our server, Linda, was most accommodating and amusing. The specials we had (sole and duck) were outstanding! Chocolate mousse lightest and tastiest I've had in a long time. Nicely stocked bar. All in all, everything you want from a nice night out to dinner and not TOO pricey.Special Features:
- A long traditionOggieVIPDined on 3/19/2014Chalet Basque has been in San Rafael for a long while. The food and service has always been great. We had moved out of the area nine years ago. This was one of the few times that we have been able to visit during that time. In fact, our server was the same one that served us in the long past. I had lamb shank which was very good. My wife also enjoyed her salmon. If you are looking for a dependable restaurant in Marin County, this is it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistant QualityCanefireDined on 3/1/2014This place is like having dinner at a good friend's house. The service is great and everyone is friendly. The filet mignon my wife ordered was outstanding. My NY steak was great too. The house made pate was some of the best I have ever had. The wines are reasonable and there is a good selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We have been going there forMarmadukeDined on 2/21/2014We have been going there for years. That speaks for itself. We keep going back. Wait staff are all super friendly as is Roger himself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was a bit expensive forOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/20/2014Food was a bit expensive for the quality. Salad needs more than greens an a slice of tomato - wouldn't tak too much to take it up a notch. Rice or potatoes bland . Vegies over cooked. I'd suggest they Cut back on the number of choices and up the quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little Piece of Basque CountryChrisDined on 2/19/2014Food was excellent, service a little slow at the end, warm welcome from the owner. We will go back, and in warmer weather look forward to dining outdoors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Warm & cozyCurliDined on 2/15/2014Food is always excellent. I believe it has changed hands but they still have the same menu and it's always good. A lot of French items too.Special Features:
- Great food and great price!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2014The food was superb and was the service! The cost is very reasonable too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Long time favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2014It is a Basque treat: Great food, wonderful wait staff and a multi tiered wine list with something for everyone. Began with the artichoke hearts with hollandaise sauce...a must have, by the way...and then enjoyed the leek soup family style, the chilled salad for all, some with cheese and some without, followed by our favorite main courses: Sweetbreads and Veal Piccata. Our Valentine's Day guests both had the Chicken C... Bleu. They loved it. I had a perfect Manhattan from the bar to begin and we shared a lovely bottle of red wine at a reasonable price All four of us agreed that we will be back sooner than we usually return because this is one of our favorite spots in all of North-Central Marin.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.