124 Lexington Ave
New York, NY 10016Neighborhood:
ThaiPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.chalchilli.com/
- Phone: 2125320273x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Wednesday: 11:30AM - 3:30PM -5:00PM - 11:00PM
Thursday - Saturday: 11:30 AM - 3:30PM - 5:00PM - 12:00AM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Asian, Fusion / Eclectic, Thai
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, BYO Liquor, Delivery, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Takeout
- Catering: Chal Chilli does a lot of corporate and non-profits catering. For your customized catering options, please call us at: 212-532-0273
- Special Events: We love to host our customers' special events!
A word from Chal Chilli
Chal Chilli is a new contemporary restaurant in the heart of Curry Hill, delivering impeccable Thai Fusion with a blend of South Asian spices. It is located at 124 Lexington Avenue. In recent years, South Asian and Thai restaurants have staked out an independent space in the pantheon of New York cuisine. Chal Chilli represents not only that hard-earned combination, but also the boldness of innovation. Fusion Thai dishes with a mélange of South Asian spice.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Chal Chilli reviews from OpenTable diners
10 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (3)good for groups (3)kid-friendly (3)great for lunch (2)neighborhood gem (2)special occasion (2)romantic (1)Show More
- Went with two kids.raz33Dined on 8/4/2014Absolutely had a great experience at this tiny restaurant. They accommodated us very well along with our two kids. The food is a fusion of Indian and Thai so expect your taste buds to get a kick. Highly recommend their steak and mango chicken. Will definitely go back in few weeks.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/17/2014Myself and my husband were in the mood for a fusion thai meal. We looked up yelp and found "Chal Chilli". The food was amazing at Chal Chilli particularly the thai basil steak. The sauce had a spicy kick to it, which is highly recommended!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/15/2014I came here with 2 friends from Slovakia. We ordered Chicken Satay, Tom Ka and Tom Yum for apps, and 2 Green Curry and a Panang Curry. They Chicken satay was a little dry. There was plenty of sauce for it, but the meat itself was rather bland. The soups and curries were all quite good. Service was ok but we had to ask for things since they didn't come check on us very often. The ambiance is very boring. The decor is plain with no visual interest anywhere. It's BYOB which can be nice. Overall, the food was pretty good, but with so many other interesting places around, I probably would not come back.
- delicious!LHG1990VIPDined on 5/10/2014food was excellent! really inexpensive. the main hostess/owner of the restaurant was very friendly and knowledgeable about the menu and different dishes and made some good recommendations. Also I loved that it was BYOB with no corking fee! The classic shrimp red curry dish was my favorite. Would definitely go back here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome BYOB placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/19/2014Great place if you want to bring your own wine or drinks. Very casual and no cork fee! The owner is super nice and was very accommodating!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 25 reviews are from the Chal Chilli reviews archive.
- Hot Soup!FoodiegirlVIPDined on 4/17/2014The menu is interesting, and the food good. But, even though the menu has a symbol for "spicy hot" on the entrees, there is nothing noted on the soups. I ordered a chicken dumpling soup that tasted good, but was so spicy hot that my mouth was entirely on fire, so much so that I was unable to finish it. It would be wise for them to note "spicy hot" on everything that is!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience!AleeesDined on 4/15/2014Firstly, I'd like to add that if you're looking for an authentic Thai - this place is not for you! Even the restaurant staff and marketing makes it very clear. They're fusion Thai and pretty darn good at it! I have been going for past six months and every time its a great experience. This time around, we went for a friends' birthday party. Delicious food and very friendly service. Its also BYOB with no corkage. Our personal favorites were Basil Steak, Shrimp Pad Thai (they add tamarind sauce to it! yumm!) and Lemongrass Chicken. I have also tried their lunch special and that is only for $6.95 all course inclusive. Now I am excited to try their brunch!Special Features:
- Best described as horrifying!KiKiKatDined on 4/8/2014I'm pretty tolerant, but the food here was terrible and bore no resemblance to Thai cuisine. The tofu pad thai was swimming in grease and pretty much inedible. My sister's chicken pad thai was sweet - and the chicken was dry. There were no peanuts to be had on either dish. Another diner had cashew chicken and it was in a bizarre thick, congealed sauce also with dry chicken. The owner hovered over us while we ate, which made the whole experience even more uncomfortable. We went in and walked out initially, thinking that we had the wrong place. We should have followed our instincts and kept on walking.
- Not for romantic or birthdayEstebanD2Dined on 4/6/2014The place is too small and have no ambience. They do not sell any alcohol or wine!
- Thai in Curry Hill? Don't do it.OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/5/2014We chose this restaurant based on the open table reviews - but those were misleading. No one from Thailand worked at the restaurant. We waited an hour plus for our meals (while witnessing confusion by the staff matching orders with tables). The beef pad see ew was inedible. The beef had no flavor and was very tough. The short ribs were tasty but burnt. The roti cani was deep fried with visible grease seeped in. The mango lassi and thai ice tea were good. In the end we returned the pad see ew and had to eat at a different restaurant. This restaurant canceled our reservation on open table after we left. I believe this was to prevent us from writing this review. Of note, we ran into other diners after the meal who also had a poor experience.
- Good food and byob, great combo!ooookVIPDined on 3/22/2014We had dinner at Chal Chilli with a larger group, and it was perfect for what we wanted- the food was good and you could bring your own wine with no cork fee, which makes for a very reasonably priced evening. It's a small place and there is always at least 1 big group (such as ours!) so wouldn't reccomendation if you are looking for something romantic or quiet. The food choices are fairly traditional Thai and everyone was satisfied with their food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding servicemximedcDined on 2/28/2014The food was good, but the service made it a very nice experience. We were celebrating a birthday and it was more than we have wanted. Very recommended.Special Features:
- LovedFoodie320Dined on 2/14/2014Food was amazing! Byob! Definitely coming back!! Woman who appeared to be the owner is extremely nice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant! Excellent ServicebananasplitVIPDined on 2/8/2014I loved Chal Chilli. The staff was very friendly and you could tell they really cared about their restaurant, customers and food. The food is delicious and reasonably priced. It is also BYOB with no corkage fee. The restaurant is small and not much to look at from the outside but it is very cozy inside and everyone who works there is very friendly. I definitely recommend going!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious ThaiCandicane86Dined on 2/1/2014We greatly enjoyed our meal at Chal Chilli. We ate family style, so I was able to try a lot of the different dishes and I loved them all. I would definitely recommend trying out this restaurant. I did not feel that there was a lot of Indian influences in the dishes. I just tasted like delicious Thai food to me. And the BYOB aspect as a very nice bonus and made for a more affordable night. Group dinners can get quite expensive and I often feel that I paid for someone else's meal, but not this time around.Special Features:
- Sunday Evening DinnerwineandineDined on 1/19/2014A friend and I had dinner on Sunday, January 19th. The food was tasty and the service was great. They have a BYOB with no cork service fee. We stayed their for approximately 2 hours and had a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemSachDined on 1/11/2014Had a great dinner here with 11 people and was definitely the right choice. This place is a hidden gem for a few reasons: 1) Food is really good - Especially the Skirt Thai Basil Steak (served with an incredible sauce) 2) Great service - The owner, Aisha, was really sweet and let our party stay as long after we should have to finish our giant bottle of vodka (see below) 3) BYOB + liquor store across the street = Huge savings (I recommend vodka with their coconut water)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/4/2013First time was for lunch buffet and second for dinner! Amazing food and service. Their lunch buffet is very good. Freshly prepared and very tasty. Dinner menu is full of variety it's all halal. An excellent option for us Muslims.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!SRJ2Dined on 11/18/2013First time I came here was for a friend's birthday party and absolutely loved this tiny gem. Amazing food! But their BYOB policy keeps taking me back. Their delicious food and your own wine. Brilliant!Special Features:
- HorribleHH66Dined on 11/12/2013This place ruined what was supposed to be a special occasion. The service was horrible, the food was horrible, the orders were all screwed up, the ambience was depressing. Avoid.
- A byob with terrific food!CdagsDined on 10/24/2013As one can imagine, a byob in manhattan is rare. A byob with top notch food is a keeper! We have been backup tipple times and love the food, staff and owner. We will be back again (and again and again).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not really authentic thai foodsMaryDined on 10/17/2013I am not sure it is because of its location where Indian foods dominated, but the taste is not like Other thai foods from authentic ones. The place is small but cozy and the peoples are nice and kind. Desert was better than the foods for us.
- Out with the girlsNattyDined on 9/29/2013After searching for a thai fusion place to try out, I am so happy that my friends and I (a group of five) picked Chal Chilli. We were pleasantly surprised with the unique way in which the chef combined both Thai and Indian flavors. We were also able to chose the level of heat in the dishes we ordered. Since this was our first time trying thai fusion, we stuck with a moderate spice level. I highly recommend the chicken chili peppers (our favorite), the mango chicken and the crispy tamarind chicken. The chicken was succulent and both the mango and the tamarind paired really well with it. We ordered green tea ice cream for dessert, which complimented the entrees well. The restaurant is clean and the service is nice. Definitely going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Came for byob and loved the foodCdagsDined on 9/11/2013our group was looking for a byob restaurant in the area. We were more than pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food. Everything we had was cooked perfectly and had wonderful flavors. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a great new additionajriccardi78Dined on 9/4/2013After walking by a few times, a girlfriend and I decided to try Chal Chilli for a late mid-week dinner. After grabbing a bottle of wine from the liquor store across the street, we came in and were seated right away. Our server suggested the spring rolls, so we had that and the chicken wings to start. Both came in very generous portions. For entrees, we shared the steak and the baked fish. The steak comes in a basil sauce that we couldn't get enough of, and the fish was extremely delicate and flavorful. We opted out of ordering dessert, but was sent ice cream from the house to finish our meal. Although there were 3 other tables, the restaurant wasn't noisy and service was prompt. We will absolutely be back soon!Special Features:
- Fusion is what it isOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/17/2013Some dishes were pretty good without being outstanding, others were a bit bland. That's the risk you take with fusion - sometimes it comes off as a less assertive version of true ethnic food. The noodles, which read well on the menu, were the weakest part of the meal. A couple of other dishes suffered from uneven distribution of the spices. Once bite was interesting, the next bland. I came away thinking that I’d be proud to be able to serve these dishes to people at a dinner party but when I’m out on a Saturday night I want something a bit more robust. That sounds mean and I don’t mean it that way. Lots of people would like this style of cooking. On a given night, I like it too. I just wish it was a bit more complex.Special Features:
- Amazing FoodMarcDined on 8/14/2013I had a great evening at Chal Chilli. It's intimate, chic and very friendly staff. Their food is divine though. They have a perfect blend of Indian and Thai going on. Best of all, its affordable. Give the place a shot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome experienceAnnieDined on 7/19/2013it has been a while since I have encountered such amazing food and service. I saw some great reviews on this restaurant online and decided to try it out with a few friends and i am glad I did. The host was super friendly and checked up on us often. Even the owner of the restaurant came by to see if everything was ok which I do not see in a lot of restaurants now a days. Great menu selection and the appetizers were definitely the talk of the night! If you are around the area, definitely drop by! It is totally worth it!Special Features:
- Good neiborhood restaurantkategrotonDined on 7/8/2013We enjoyed our meal at this small restaurant. Service was good and the owner very friendly. Food was nicely prepared and tasty. Good value for the money.