Cha Taqueria & Bar
305 NW 21st Ave
Portland, OR 97209Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Cha Taqueria & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://chapdx.com/
- Phone: 5032954077x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Mexican, Contemporary Mexican
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Bring the flavors of CHA! to your venue. We cater wedding receptions, rehearsal dinners, corporate meetings and parties, fundraisers and special celebrations. Our event manager will help you plan your signature, custom menu including plated, multi-course options, buffet, family style, standing cocktail receptions and taco bars.
To order CHA! catering for your next event, please contact:
- Private Party Facilities: CHA! offers guests a warm and intimate ambiance for private events. CHA! can accommodate private events of 10 - 150 guests including signature menus created custom for your event, multi-course plated menus, buffet, family style and standing cocktail receptions. CHA! is the perfect location for a unique wedding reception, rehearsal dinner, corporate meeting or party, fundraiser or special celebration.
- Private Party Contact: Javier Hurtado 503-358-0677x
A word from Cha Taqueria & Bar
Cha Taqueria & Bar (known as CHA!) opened in 2007 in an ongoing journey to bring indigenous Southern Mexico flavors and cooking techniques to the Portland community using seasonal, sustainable & humanely raised NW ingredients. The dinner menu delights guests with fresh, handmade and slow-cooked dishes that change weekly based on the availability of seasonal ingredients (and the Chef’s inspiration). The bar menu offers a variety of original recipe margaritas and cocktails, nearly 100 different tequila labels including house infused options, CHA! private label Pinot Noir & Pinot Gris created using Willamette Valley grapes, and a curated list of local micro brews, Mexican cervezas and wine. Whether inside the candle-lit dining room or outside on the heated patio, CHA! offers guests a dining experience filled with the warmth of Southern Mexico in the heart of Portland, Oregon.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cha Taqueria & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
- Really unique food offerings.PdxrunnerVIPDined on 3/10/2014This NW gem is great food. Authentic culinary confections. And of course really great margaritas. We love this place! Service, food and atmosphere are terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/22/2014Just a great place to be and enjoy great food and terrific cocktails, very friendly service, great locationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cha Cha ChaJFeebsDined on 2/16/2014went to Cha for Sunday brunch. No crowd at all, us and one other table, no need for reservations. The food was really good, great Heuvo Rancheros. The party tried several different tacos, all very good.Special Features:
- Great Spot!PixieTDDined on 2/1/2014Great food. Reasonable prices. Excellent service. Need I say more? My friends and I were recently going out to celebrate a bday, and wanted to find a place to eat w/in walking distance of our main destination. We chose this place, as we spend a lot of time in NW, yet none of us had actually been here. Great choice. Our server was very attentive and cordial. We will definitely be back. ;)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!LABHDined on 1/31/2014Great atmosphere, service, food and perfect drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent mexicantzoeDined on 1/31/2014So far...the best Mexican food in Portland. The drinks are fantastic....no pre mixed margaritas here! Authentic, everything made in house.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 4 people in the kitchen, andJae97239VIPDined on 12/16/20134 people in the kitchen, and 30 minutes to get appetizer in a near empty restaurant. Food was greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't get to eatPeggyDVIPDined on 11/24/2013We made reservations unbeknownst to us on an evening when the local soccer team was in their first playoff game on the home field. There was no place to park! I was dropped off while my date went in search of a parking spot, so I got to look at the menu and was excited about the prospects. After about 10 minutes of driving around, my date called me to say he couldn't find a spot, so I had to leave without eating. I can say that the chips and salsa were some of the best I have ever had, but can't really comment on more than that. Since I was on vacation, I don't know if would ever be back - but, based on the chips and menu, I would certainly give it another try if in town and so long as the soccer team was away!
- Great serviceCharDined on 11/15/2013I brought a large group (14 people) to Cha and the service was exceptional. They had our table ready for us when we arrived and provided prompt service to all guests. They knew we were running late to our next engagement, and they were able to double-time the payment process. Then we stopped at the bar for a few drinks on the way out, and the bartender was amazing (he graciously put up with all of us drunkards!). I'd definitely recommend this place for food, drinks, and a great night out. :)Special Features:
- great Mexican foodOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/25/2013We have been searching for a value Mexican place with great food in NW Portland. We found it. We would recommend to anyone who want more than an order at the counter place. Good food, good service, good ambience.Special Features:
- CevicheJGD1VIPDined on 10/20/2013Without a doubt the Ceviche was the best I've had in this town. Including baby octopus served in a stemmed glass bowl that allowed you to drink any sauce that remained. I do not understand why this place is not packed for Brunch, a great value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor Birthday ServiceCaseyDined on 7/24/2013I made a reservation online for my birthday at Cha. Not only did they get the time wrong for the reservation, they also told me to expect very slow service due to the fact that they couldn't remember my reservation. From start to finish it took two hours to receive and eat our dinner. They were out of certain beers, avocados, and various other requests. Our server was not friendly...at all. She couldn't even smile and pretend to enjoy our group. The restaurant AC seemed to not be working and it was extremely hot that day. The food was great but I don't think I would ever go back to Cha.Special Features:
- Excellent foodndlmblDined on 7/18/2013Delicious and somewhat unusual, healthy choices; not available in most Mexican restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls Night OutoutdoordiningDined on 6/29/2013Great find for my monthly group of girls night out, we enjoyed our experience completely and will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingfrescoelmoDined on 6/28/2013Disappointing to say the least. They asked us for appetizers before drinks which I thought was odd, but didn't bother me that much... Until our waiter decided not to come back for 20 minutes after we ordered chips and salsa. Finally, after we got our drinks he took our orders which took all of 10 seconds. Then we proceeded to sip on our drinks for OVER AN HOUR while we waited for two entrees. It's a couple of tortillas and flank steak, how long does that take? Instead of fixing the problem (or admitting to it), the waiter consistently cited different excuses. All the while their two hostesses hung out in the dining area and chatted to each other. Pretty unprofessional. Food was okay.Special Features:
- Birthday Bummer!SwimmeracbDined on 6/7/2013Went to try a new place for my Birthday. It was terible service! Waited an hour to order, no chips and salsa here. Waited another hour and half for our food. No appologies were made. The waitress brought us some broken chips, crumbs mostly. They claimed they had a big party in the back. Shouldn't restraunts be able to serve all tables? The food was over cooked. Overall we were there for 3 & half hours. Now, I don't mind an occassional leisurely dinner, but this was ridiculous! They offered free dessert, but then didn't let us pick what we got, then charged us for it. Have never not left a tip before, but seriously considered it. They should have appologised & comped our entire meal. I would not recommend this restraunt nor go back again!
- Cinco de Mayo menu very abbreviatedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/5/2013We made reservations via OpenTable, assuming we could choose from their regular full, excellent menu. Upon arriving it was (of course) a mad house on Cinco de Mayo. We had to wait 10 minutes to even speak to a hostess, but were seated quickly given our reservation. Then we waited 15 minutes to be waited on, and were disappointed to find that the menu for Cinco de Mayo was very abbreviated, basically tacos and a couple of other options. Still, the food was excellent, as were the drinks.Special Features:
- We went on Cinco de Mayo.Jae97239VIPDined on 5/5/2013We went on Cinco de Mayo. That's got to be the context here. We love Cha. But we won't go back on that holiday. Two hours+ and we were able to eke out two drinks from the bar. Totally understaffed behind the bar and on the floor with wait staff. They limited the menu which made food delivery time pretty darn good once the order was in and the food was good. We ate and went next door for another drink.Special Features:
- The drinks are delicious,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/17/2013The drinks are delicious, service is great, and it's a comfortabe dining experience. We got chips and salsa/guacamole and it came with like 10 chips... but they did bring more later without us asking!Special Features:
- I travel in Mexico and knowOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/14/2013I travel in Mexico and know the traditional foods, like carnitas in Quiroga, Michoacan. I thought Cha's carnitas excellent. They were authentic, and less greasy as well.Special Features:
- Decent Neighborhood OptionOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/13/2013Our waiter was great -- very friendly and attentive, without being overbearing. The food was good, but not great. It really didn't exceed the quality of the less fancy Cha Cha Cha outlets. But perhaps I would feel differently if I ordered off the entree menu, instead of the taco board (I was initially interested in the salmon, but my waiter told me it's not the greatest thing on the menu). I got the rockfish tacos, which had too much breading for my taste. My companion got the steak with chipotle sauce and really enjoyed it. My main piece of critical feedback: the music was WAY too loud.
- I've had wonderful dinnersOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/6/2013I've had wonderful dinners at Cha before, but this past experience was not one of them. The food lacked flavor and freshness. The margarita wasn't good; it was almost salty. I'm not sure if it was because of the Timbers game and the overall busy-ness of the restaurant, but I left unimpressed.
- Been here several times andwonderwindypdxVIPDined on 3/23/2013Been here several times and am always pleased with the quality of food, service, and ambiance. Ceviche was outstanding and the drinks are super delicious. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- SUGGESTION! Do not eat atVLMShayDined on 3/9/2013SUGGESTION! Do not eat at this restaurant if there is a Timber's game! I mistakenly made a reservation for 6:30, and parking (of course) was awful, which isn't the restaurant's fault, but it does make it more difficult. The service was poor. Our waiter told us we could order immediately off the bar menu, but if we ordered off the dinner menu it would take 45 minutes. We were okay with that because we could order noshes off the bar menu while we waited. Unfortunately, over an hour later we didn't have ANY food. By this time the Timbers crowd had cleared. We didn't even get refills on our drinks, so we left. The manager did comp us for the drinks we ordered, which was nice, and we may try again purely because of that gesture.
- A new take on Mexican foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/2/2013Enchiladas were excellent, the sauces were amazing. The steak fajitas were tough. Great neighborhood vibe and AMAZING service. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a nice dinner. MyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/23/2013We had a nice dinner. My son had beef tacos and I had the seafood enchiladas in cream sauce (de La Mar?) which were excellent. Parking is a bit challenging, esp. on weekends. This is one of our favorite Mexican restaurants in Portland.
- Has something changed at ChaOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013Has something changed at Cha or have we just not been paying attention? The food is sumptuous! This is my/our fourth visit in two months -- at all times of the day, special occasion or just lunch -- and every one has been a revelation. Good service. Nice ambiance. Great food.Special Features:
- Fairly average place withOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/13/2013Fairly average place with a big price tag. They are trying to be too fancy without the ambiance to back it up.Special Features: