164 W. 75th St.
New York, NY 10024Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cescanyc.com/
- Phone: 2127876300x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday-Wednesday : 5:00-10:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00-11:00pm
Sunday Dinner: 5:00-9:30pm
Happy Hour Monday-Friday: 5:00-7:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Italian, American, Italian
- Executive Chef: Craig Wallens
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Our catering team can prepare and serve a sit down lunch, dinner or a grand buffet for 40 guests or entertain 60 guests for a cocktail party-all done expertly in your home or at Cesca. Price is based on day of the week and season.
- Private Party Facilities: We have a couple of options:
‘The Wine Table’ & Our ‘Private Dining Room’. Our Private Dining room accomodates up to 22ppl & our Wine Table accommodates up to 10 people. For any party over 12 ppl a Special Tasting Menu must be arranged.
- Private Party Contact: Todd Whiteman 2127876300x
- Special Events: Next to Beacon Theatre
A word from Cesca
An original pioneer of the casual upscale dining scene on the Upper West Side since 2003. Chef Craig Wallens’ contemporary farm-to-table Italian-American cuisine ‘explodes with flavor and freshness’. ‘Cesca features hand crafted pastas, wood-burning oven, artisanal cocktails and an Award Winning wine-list, all complementing this warm rustic environmentContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cesca reviews from OpenTable diners
217 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (130)fit for foodies (107)special occasion (75)good for groups (48)notable wine list (48)romantic (41)vibrant bar scene (35)late-night find (14)hot spot (12)kid-friendly (10)great for brunch (10)great for lunch (2)Show More
- Highly recommended.Joe68foodieDined on 8/23/2014Upon our daughter's recommendation, my wife and I enjoyed a wonderful dinner at Cesca's Restaurant. My wife had the seared NY trout, and I had the braised pork for entrees. Preceded by the prosciutto and mozzarella fritters, while drinking a bottle of fine cabernet sauvignon, the meal was exquisite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday night dinnerNYCFoodieCoupleDined on 8/22/2014We arrived on time at 8:30. The restaurant was about 70% full. The maitre d' could be friendlier since she was very clinical without a smile. The lighting and the ambiance was good. Whether you sit on a chair or the banquette, the seats were too low for us (5'7" and 5'10"). While the food came out without any problems, the waiter was a bit too casual for our taste. While this is a restaurant in NYC, a waiter welcoming us to the table "Hey, how are you guys doing" is more of an Olive Garden greeting rather than a restaurant of this caliber. The waiter was also not attentive, and when the waiter finally came around to ask for an additional wine, we were done with the main course. Waiters should be trainer more thoroughly for professionalism.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service and food was outstandingRegularVIPDined on 8/21/2014Food was outstanding, but service was even better. Our waitress was attentive, but not too much so. She gave us sound recommendations and looked out for our every need.Special Features:
- A neighborhood jewelKathrynVIPDined on 8/20/2014One of my favorite neighborhood restaurants on the UWS.Special Features:
- Lovely mealSteveDined on 8/19/2014Above average food - good duck! - and excellent service. The whole place is very professionally run.Special Features:
- good to have in the neighborhoodETKAVIPDined on 8/13/2014Nice food, pleasant service--enjoyable evening. Noise level gets a bit loud--not a place to have a conversation over dinner.Special Features:
- lovely, quiet dinnerSolangeDined on 8/9/2014Met with an old friend - food was wonderful and our waiter was delightful! We could carry on a conversation without straining. Pricey so it will not be a weekly visit but I would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/9/2014Always enjoyable. Food excellent. Restaurant is set up nicely so that the tables are not crowded and conversation is possible.Special Features:
- Very good, classy restauranttresbon1Dined on 8/8/2014Excellent for a romantic dinner, drinking/eating at the bar, and a special occasion. Have eaten there three times in the last year. A bit pricey but you're paying for good food, terrific service and a sense of elegance on the Upper West Side of Manhattan. Always feel I'm getting 'my money's worth'. First timers have always been impressed with the quality and preparation of the food and the wait staff. The bar is a great place to meet and hang out. Very mixed crowd, age wise.Special Features:
- Disappointing. Used to love it.75eatsDined on 8/6/2014Service was woefully slow, orders were wrong. Food just so-so.
- Do not eat the Rib eye for twoLuckyDined on 8/6/2014Overall experience was good because of attentive service, but food was lacking. The aged rib eye for two didn't taste anything like aged and the sweet sour marinated was too pungent. Pasta was not al dente. Overall in this at $60 per person, without desserts, we shouldn't have expected much. The noise level was energetic but we were able to converse. Good for casual celebration, easy to book.Special Features:
- Great foodST13Dined on 8/5/2014some of the best italian food i have had in a long time in the city. everything was was very tasty and not overcomplicated.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/5/2014For me uneven. When they are good they are very, very good. Squash blossoms and chocolate molten cake the best I've ever tasted. Duck not juicy. And, expensiveSpecial Features:
- Cesca is DeliciousRichKoNYCVIPDined on 8/2/2014Amazing food that has a new and fresh twist on Italian staples. I highly recommend. Service was amazing and be sure to try the fresh grapefruit-infused vodka!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JacquelineOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/2/2014I actually thought about calling the gm bc I took a client to impress, and it was horrible. I thought Amanda freitag set a standard as exec chef, he had to send back the salmon which was solo on plate, burned, out of mozzarella at 730 pm, waiter was awful, ( just a side note, average age was 80, which was a bit odd) and bc I managed china grill yrs ago, I would have comped the coffees bc it was so bad. I felt embarrassed I chose this, I think I'd been 2-3x, but never again. I have no idea where to go upper west, lived here for ys, everything has gone so down hill, yet expensive. Needless to say, no business will be done w this client.
- UnderwhelmednblexDined on 7/30/2014Party of five. Chose this restaurant because of its location and seemingly strong reviews, which noted it was quiet and good for conversation. Not so. No options for shared appetizers for the table. Individual servings only. We were unattended by our waiter for long periods. Wine and water glasses needed refilling. Acoustics and noise level made conversations difficult. Food arrived warm, not hot. Trout and scallops were good, pasta - so so. Had to chase down server for coffee and water refills. We would have stayed longer when dining room emptied out and we could finally hear but were asked to leave because restaurant was closing. Seemed early and unceremonious. Prices seemed high for this level of quality and service.
- Food excellent but the service...fooddecorYESserviceNODined on 7/29/2014I have lived on the upper west side for a very long time and had never gone here. The food was very good in all respects-not heavy, very fresh, truly quite good. The service, however, was lackluster at best, with the waiter actually refusing to answer a question about the portion sizes. Toward the end of the meal, he asked if I wanted more coffee and then never brought it. The prices are not cheap, but they are also not super expensive for a restaurant right near Lincoln Center. The decor is very nice, natural wood and stone--all attractively warm & solid. The host staff was very good--friendly and remembered to come get us at the bar with a smile. All-in-all I will definitely go back.Special Features:
- IllyDined on 7/26/2014Loved that we didn't have to wait to be seated. Appetizers were amazing especially the prosciutto and Parmesan fritters. The lamb bolognese was spectacular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Uneven and overpricedGorgeousDined on 7/26/2014We celebrated a birthday here. Very attractive place. Food was so uneven. Calamari was like shoe leather. Meat and cheese plate was disappointing and small. Fried mushroom thing was pretty good. Dinner was wildly uneven. One swordfish was good. One was dry and tasteless after it was ordered "moist". Duck was terrible for one guest and ok for another. Pasta bolognese style was good. Other pasta ravioli was "meh". Only raves were french fries and brussels veg. And these were all a la carte. Who serves a piece of $29 fish on an empty plate?? UGH. No one came to ask how the food was. Waitress disappeared and replaced by someone else. Sorry, we will not return. What happened to this place??
- special neighborhood diningnew2nycVIPDined on 7/26/2014Five of us had a very good dinner at this attractive,Italian restaurant in the Upper west side. The food was well prepared,though I thought the menu somewhat limited .I had grilled salmon which was terrific,as was the buffalo mozzarella special, and the swordfish was also very good.Mixed reviews about the Sat night shrimp scampi special.We only ordered one dessert, but that was a winner.Warm,rich chocolate with vanilla ice cream. I would return to this restaurant.Special Features:
- Excellent experienceprincetongirlDined on 7/23/2014We have been hesitant to go recently because of some of the negative reviews, and after going, we don't get those reviews. The food was outstanding. We had the Escarole Salad, Asparagus & Hen Of the Woods Mushroom Fritto, Grilled Octopus, and my personal favorite appetizer- the three grain salad. For entrees, we had the duck, veal and eggplant parm. Everything was delicious. The service was also very nice. We look forward to going again.Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceDarwin28Dined on 7/23/2014Our first time dining at 'Cesca was a pleasurable experience. The food was wonderful and unique in style, the waitstaff pkentiful and very much on top of things (our waitress (Lauren G.) was a wonderful server), and the entire experience was enjoyable. We'll definitiely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/22/2014We had a great experience at Cesca. We went before a show at the Beacon Theatre. The bar was lively, the staff was attentive and fun. My martini was just "ok", but the ambiance was lovely. Dinner was great food and the wine list was good. Our waitress was amazing. Offered good suggestions andmwas mindful to ensure we had a wat meal and got to the show on time. Would go back even without a show to attend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- early quick bitekarenDined on 7/19/2014We were there quite early 6:00pm had just three appetizers. They were good. Service very good. But since it was nearly empty we had no trouble hearing the waiter's chit chat.................Special Features:
- Great neighborhood spotconsumingVIPDined on 7/18/2014My girlfriend and I recently discovered this place and love it. It's stylish but inviting, good for a night out but still cozy, romantic and energetic. The wait staff is very knowledgeable and the food is great. The pastas are great, and what's awesome is they come in smaller portions so you can eat them as a first or middle course if you're hungry. Also recommend the hand pulled mozzarella and the duck.Special Features:
- foodieVIPDined on 7/18/2014A bit too noisy for my taste, but great food and great service. Will definitely return!
- CescaFrenhsk8VIPDined on 7/18/2014Cesca is one of those rare restaurants that makes you want to return again and again. The food is outstanding. The service is impeccable. The chef does some unusual things with common foods. The warm mozzarella with peppers and toast points was delicious. The carrot appetizer was outstanding. The fried cauliflower appetizer was like nothing we had ever eaten-so light and tasty. The entrées were also outstanding.They are sensitive to food allergies. I would recommend this restaurant without hesitation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hard to complainBobreitanoDined on 7/16/2014Also very hard to get excited. It is a good and trustworthy place and I am afraid nothing more.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/16/2014Food, wine and service are always excellent. Appetisers and deserts are always specialSpecial Features:
- BTravenwontbeabletorememberDined on 7/14/2014I went with a friend who'd spent a lot of time in Italy. And she walked in and said, "Rome!" the light, the energy. Just a terrific place to spend time inSpecial Features:
- Not much to saynyctastetesterDined on 7/11/2014It was good, but nothing to exquisite to call out.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinnerBallet0516Dined on 7/10/2014Unique food, fantastic service. All around good choice for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful eveningDineonDined on 7/8/2014We were graciously served a delicious dinner by an accommodating, professional and appropriately attentive staff who responded to every request and did not rush us along. The Hostess accommodated our table request so we could take our time and enjoy our guests. An exceptional experience as it always is.Special Features:
- Coach51Dined on 7/8/2014Pratronized here for the 1st time prior to a CSN concert at The Beacon with two friends of 35+ Years. Not knowing what to expect, I left there thinking what a wonderful evening their entire staff had help initiate for Three Old Amigos. From the Hostess down to our waiter, Tyler, the night was great... Food was excellent... Yes, prices are what I expected from a Midtown restaurant, but I walked out that night knowing I had a very good meal and a better start to my evening....Special Features:
- AndreaVIPDined on 7/8/2014Always a fav in my uws neighborhood. Service great!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Must to Visit in NYCdlmcorp1Dined on 7/8/2014Food was excellent! Service was great. All around good evening!! Would highly recommend to others and have already done so! ThankSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You'll come back again!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/6/2014Especially great appetizers. We order our favorites , usually in multiples..There is always something new to try to make a meal .. or go down the menu and enjoy different courses...Never disappoints us. Love the chef's imagination and style...and willingness to present some traditional foods in new and delicious ways. Be sure to try the cauliflower fritters and save room for the ricotta cheesecake dessert!Special Features:
- DisappointingdiningguruDined on 7/3/2014Really disappointing, slipping from its good reputation in the past. Mediocre at best. PK
- A delightful dinnernongourmetDined on 7/1/2014The food was great. The trout and duck were outstanding. We brought a good bottle, which was graciously decanted. Our waitress was helpful, charming, funny, and altogether a delight. The service in general was fine with no pressure to order or to pay. We asked for a quiet table, and was given one, but the noise level was high enough to be an occasional distraction. The bread was only o.k. The chocolate dessert was scrumptious.Special Features:
- Excellent Italian restaurantHelenVIPDined on 7/1/2014Our dinner was very good, the service was excellent. The menu selection was not as extensive as many others, but the selection we chose was very delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.