164 W. 75th St.
New York, NY 10024Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cescanyc.com/
- Phone: 2127876300x
- Hours of Operation:
Sun.-Tues : 5-10 pm
Wed. & Thurs.: 5-11pm
Friday & Saturday: 5-11:30pm
Sunday Dinner: 5-10pm
Happy Hour Monday-Friday: 5-7pm
Sunday Brunch: 11:30-3PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Italian, American, Italian
- Executive Chef: Craig Wallens
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Our catering team can prepare and serve a sit down lunch, dinner or a grand buffet for 40 guests or entertain 60 guests for a cocktail party-all done expertly in your home or at Cesca. Price is based on day of the week and season.
- Private Party Facilities: We have a couple of options:
‘The Wine Table’ & Our ‘Private Dining Room’. Our Private Dining room accomodates up to 22ppl & our Wine Table accommodates up to 10 people. For any party over 12 ppl a Special Tasting Menu must be arranged.
- Private Party Contact: Todd Whiteman 2127876300x
- Special Events: Next to Beacon Theatre
A word from Cesca
An original pioneer of the casual upscale dining scene on the Upper West Side since 2003. Chef Craig Wallens’ contemporary farm-to-table Italian-American cuisine ‘explodes with flavor and freshness’. ‘Cesca features hand crafted pastas, wood-burning oven, artisanal cocktails and an Award Winning wine-list, all complementing this warm rustic environmentContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cesca reviews from OpenTable diners
224 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (135)fit for foodies (105)special occasion (80)good for groups (51)notable wine list (43)vibrant bar scene (43)romantic (39)hot spot (22)great for brunch (16)late-night find (12)kid-friendly (8)great for lunch (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- An All-Round GemFoodieVIPDined on 10/16/2014I really liked the layout of the restaurant, the food and the service. The restaurant is much bigger than one would expect as the bar area is on the smaller size but the dining area is fairly vast. The tables are not cluttered and the can cater for a small or large party. The food choices were varied and the food was delicious. Our waiter was attentive and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodieDined on 10/16/2014The food is always good here. One person at our table had the trout and it was excellent. Pasta dishes are very good, too.Special Features:
- Delicious!BeckyDined on 10/15/2014We enjoyed every moment here. The service was strikingly competent and confident. We don't eat full meals and told the server. She split or spinach pasta and served our duck on a lovely platter giving both of us separate plates. Both dishes were prefect. The tables are roomy. There isn't that side by side crowded feeling. We have already recommended this restaurant to several New Yorkers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CescaheyjudeVIPDined on 10/15/2014Interesting combinations of Excellent food beautifully presented can't compensate for the horrendous noise level. We could not hear each other speak at a table for four. If that isn't bad enough, they blast some music out. At my request, they did turn it off, but back it came 20 minutes later. Instead of serving martinis well-chilled in icy cold glasses, they serve theirs warm, in glass mini carafes set into stainless steel contraptions lined with ice. This elaborate, pretentious offering produces deadly awful drinks. 3 out of 4 had gin and vodka martinis. All dreadful. Won't be returning cz of noise and drinks. Too bad. Great food! Bread basket third rate.Special Features:
- Disappointing ServiceSUWSVIPDined on 10/12/2014As always the food was top notch but the service was very disappointing.Special Features:
- AMAZING!!foodjunkieDined on 10/11/2014this is the second time I have been to the restaurant and it's just as delicious as the first time! the service (especially Stephanie) is impeccable, the food is outstanding, the atmosphere is very desirable. I love everything about this place and can not wait to return ahain, the time between my first visit and second was only two weeks apart so you could only imagine how tasty it was for me to drive into the city again just to dine here...this place is top notch, I highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodieVIPDined on 10/9/2014the food was absolutely scrumptious, but the noise level was pretty overwhelming.
- Can't Wait to ReturnOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/8/2014Of all the restaurants we ate at last week Cesca was our favorite. Upon our return yours will be our first stop.Special Features:
- Great pre Beacon MealMusignyVIPDined on 10/8/2014Aside from the obnoxious host who could've ruined our evening, this place is a winner. Good food and service in an area that is otherwise limited to bars, pizza and bistros. Pretty close to fine dining just off broadway and 74th. Great pre concert venue with a fairly stiff tariff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely but loud restaurant.KleineDined on 10/7/2014The noise level in the bar table area was more than energetic it was too loud and uncomfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad BrunchBruncherDined on 10/5/2014Have always enjoyed dinner here, but brunch was a major disappointment. Very few non-breakfast items and we were there for lunch. We had two servers who had no idea what the other was doing. Salad was very salty, very heavy on the vinegar and when we ordered bread, it was white toast. It's an Italian restaurant, no Italian bread? Spaghetti with a very ordinary red sauce was way under-cooked. Felt really bad about the experience and missed a couple of my favorites which I think they could put on the lunch menu, like the roast chicken or the Frito Misto. Felt even worse when the check for this miserable meal came to almost $80 (with just one glass of wine).
- Not just a neighborhood gemSlueVIPDined on 10/3/2014We live in another part of town but make it point to come here. Food is delicious. Recommend the duck and fritters. Great wine list with very reasonable price range. Never feel rushed; service has always been impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeeceeDined on 10/3/2014Almost everything is really yummy. It is low key but elegant.pSpecial Features:
- Forgot how much we loved this placeMcCityMomDined on 10/3/2014We hadn't been to this place in a while and forgot how much we loved this place. Great food - fresh pasta, great appetizers to share with a larger party. A professional (and in our case humorous) wait staff. A perfect spot to celebrate an occasion.Special Features:
- foodieDined on 10/1/2014We love this restaurant and consider it a neighborhood gem. Sometimes the quality of the food varies and I wish that wasn't the case. But I keep coming back and working my way through the menu.Special Features:
- Just rightNatinaPDined on 10/1/2014Sat in a cushy booth in the lively bar area and enjoyed a delicious meal and a great dining experience. The restaurant itself was very pretty as well but chose being in a booth adjacent to the bar area because we were there at 6 before a show at the Beacon and the bar area was more lively at that hour. Restaurant area filled up nicely. Cocktails were delicious (old fashioned with muddled fig and orange and grapefruit-vodka cosmo-yum). Servers gave us time to enjoy our drink before ordering at our request, thank you. Cauliflower fritters are a must. Hubby had tuna, I had carbonara, both were very good. Dessert of vanilla gelato with a shot of espresso on top was a great finish to a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Return visitThemusicmavenDined on 9/29/2014I returned after five years. It is still a lovely place with a nice ambience. The menu is varied but not large. Prices are a bit steep for what you get. I had a calamari dish appetizer that has 6 pieces for $15, not good. It tasted ok. My main course was the veal chop at $44. While it was large and basically tender, the topping was AWFUL. Some type of chewy chicory and other veggie. I hardly ate it. My guests all had similar experiences. Some of the dishes were OK, others disappointing, especially for the price. The dessert we shared was excellent, a chocolate molten cake. Service was a bit uneven with a change of waiters? in the last half hour. If I return it would require different choices of food,resulting in a better experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still good but...carolynVIPDined on 9/28/2014I like this restaurant very much but they haven't been trying any new dishes and if you go there frequently it becomes boring if you really like to taste good food. I think the chef needs to be experimenting a little more or they will lose people to all the restaurants opening in the neighborhoodSpecial Features:
- TheDishDined on 9/26/2014Excellent ambience and food. We have eaten here on just about every trip to New York for over 15 yrs and have never been disappointed. A favourite destination for the whole familySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rindaVIPDined on 9/26/2014A lovely neighborhood restaurant with excellent service staff. The atmosphere is warm and inviting, and the friendly waitstaff tries to please each customer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mediocreZathomeVIPDined on 9/23/2014the experienced was mixed but started badly with poor (actually just lack of) service. After being seated we were left alone for at least 10 minutes with nobody taking drink or any other orders. After that service just became confused: two people brought over the same bottle of wine for approval. The food was the best part of the experience - octopus appetizer and swordfish main were quite good. the special of the day - porchetta - was slightly overcooked - which is enough to make pork a little tough and not juicy. probably will not return.
- Preshow DiningCmddVIPDined on 9/20/2014If you are going to a show at The Beacon Cesca is the perfect place to dine! We told them we were going to a show. We had apps, main courses & desserts in 1 1/2 hrs. The food, the wine & service were excellent!I would recommend this to a friend.
- A KeeperBlondieVIPDined on 9/19/2014Great spot for dinner before show at Beacon Theater. Decor is a bit dated but food and service make up for it!Special Features:
- Enjoyable mealGothamDuoVIPDined on 9/18/2014Food was very good. The slow roasted duck fell off the bone and was very tasty. Waiter was very efficient -- even warning us before we even opened the menus that the appetizer and entree might come out on the heels of each other but that it probably won't happen. Our meals came out timing wise perfect and taste wise great.Special Features:
- great food,slow late in the eveningzachDined on 9/16/2014Food was incredible! Server was nice, but she left before we were finished with our meal, and then the service dipped. It took 10 minutes to find someone for our check. Almost like the staff checks out late into the evening. We're still paying customers. .....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bella CescaFoodie29VIPDined on 9/15/2014My first time and it was love at first sight. I love the place. Elegant but comfortable. Excellent pasta, wonderful pinot noir by the glass. Friendly and efficient service. Nice table, nice booth, nice dining area in back, great bar out front. It's my place in NYC!Special Features:
- At long last, Cesca again!YumolaDined on 9/15/2014Ever since a friend of mine took me to Cesca for my birthday years ago, I've wanted to go back there. When I saw on Open Table that Cesca had mixed reviews, I was hesitant at first, but decided to go anyway! Well, let me tell you. Do not hesitate! It was fantastic! Our request for an intimate table was honored. The waiter was perfect and the food amazing! My friend had the scallops, and I don't even like scollops, or so I thought. They were fabulous! I had the swordfish which was succulent! I don't even remember what else we had, but it was all great! I haven't had time to write this till now and it's been a month, but it's a tribute to how great this restaurant is that I still felt compelled to write it after a month.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really Good and Very ReliableBjp0298Dined on 9/13/2014We've dined here several times before and always enjoy everything about Cesca. The food, ambiance and service are all very good or excellent. It is not overpriced, and is someplace that you can actually have a conversation with your dining companions. Our twentysomething daughters enjoy it as much as their parents do. The wine list is reasonably priced and provides fair value (there is also a reserve wine list for those looking for a special bottle.) All in all, a terrific place whether for a good dinner or a special occasion.Special Features:
- Always a pleasureFoodObsessedVIPDined on 9/13/2014Amazing service with an excellent wine list. The food is vibrant and scrumptious. We'll be back again and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun in the HoodFit4foorVIPDined on 9/12/2014Cesca is a place that I intend to frequent often. It is a short walk from my apt and the food is innovative Italian. The only comment that I could give is one that I heard from others on the party, the food was too salty. I loved it. The noise level was just right, vibrant, but able to have a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasionDpmdDined on 9/11/2014I always choose cesca for special occasions. The ambience is just right, the food great and the service impeccable. My family and I love this restaurant.Special Features:
- napoleonDined on 9/8/2014very good...would return. do not like to write long reviews...would not do this again...it spoils the dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent with one exceptionpeacetoallVIPDined on 9/7/2014We enjoy Cesca and all the food with one exception recently was excellent- octopus, polenta, fusilli, scallops, etc. The one exception was the rib eye for 2, which was way too fatty. We understand that rib eye can be a fatty cut, but there was more fat than meat and it really should not have been served, especially for that price at that nice a restaurant. However, we will return.Special Features:
- Fantastic restaurantNYCfoodieDined on 9/7/2014Although I have lived on the UWS for almost 12 years and have past this restaurant numerous times, it is only recently that we started to dine here and have been VERY HAPPY doing so. The service is OUTSTANDING and food preparation/presentation is WONDERFUL. We will continue to dine here for various occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch at a great priceJordana24Dined on 9/7/2014My husband and I really enjoyed our Brunch especially at the 50% off special price. The tuna sandwich was very tasty and filling. My husband enjoyed his waffle. Service could have been a little better and more attentive....I think that the waiters were overworked.Special Features:
- worst brunch everhellbentDined on 9/7/2014Poor service. Staff/Management totally unprepared for brunch service. Absurd prices -- toast $7??!!! and it's not even toasted. And we waited for everything -- toast, butter, jam (all brought separately)...cold eggs, no condiments available. Easily the worst brunch experience on the upper west side. And the Mgr did not care and didn't support his staff...who needed help - NO knowledge of menu. It was a disaster.Special Features:
- Did someone say Brunch?Cla261VIPDined on 9/7/2014Food was excellent and our server was beyond wonderful! This was out first time at brunch as we usually come in for dinner. We will be back. Love the cherry chocolate chip scones!!Special Features:
- DougDVIPDined on 9/6/2014It was super-busy at 9:00 on a Saturday night; the normally excellent service, while still friendly, was a bit off. We never received our bread, despite several promises from the rather stressed waiter, and there were abnormally long wait times between courses. But the food, as always, was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovelyPoolersDined on 9/6/2014great looking place, very warm, and roomy tables. The bread is divine but if you don't like rosemary, i don't, I wish I'd had another option.I asked for one but the bread they brought wasn't very good. drinks are great and generous, portions great, zuccini blossom appetizer magnificent,, my pasta was so salty it was inedible.Special Features:
- Cescachloe51VIPDined on 9/6/2014Food was good although somewhat limited menu. Also special for Saturday night was not available at 6:00 pm and no replacement was offered not really acceptable in my opinionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.