601 Sutter St
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.nobhilldining.com/Cesarios/Welcome.htm
- Phone: 4154419898
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30AM- 4:00PM
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00PM - 10:00PM
Frdiay & Saturday: 4:00PM - 10:30PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Chef Henry
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Cafe, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine
- Catering: We offer a selected menu for all occasions. Please contact manager at 415-624-9142
- Private Party Facilities: 1 block from the Powell/Sutter Cable Car stop. #2 & #3 Muni Bus Stop.
- Private Party Contact: Alex 4156249142
A word from Cesario's
Since 1991 Cesario's has been serving fine Northern Italian food. Extensive global wine list. Close to theater district and Union Square.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cesario's reviews from OpenTable diners
19 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (9)romantic (7)special occasion (4)kid-friendly (1)fit for foodies (1)Show More
- For an Italian restaurant,OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/21/2012For an Italian restaurant, it doesn't have the signature italian dish. The waitress was rude. I would not recommend this place
- Sunday night meal. RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/2/2012Sunday night meal. Restaurant not overly crowded but less than enthusiastic staff. Small space is quaint and romantic but the smell of cleaning solution from bar area is overpowering. Bread is very disappointing! Recommend upgrade to some crusty bread.Special Features:
- Not pretentious, just reallLDMartinezVIPDined on 8/29/2012Not pretentious, just reall fresh food. Small restaurant, serves wine and beer. good service. Very fresh seafood, prepared to order. I had choppino. Plenty of clams, mussels, calamari. Four large, tender prawns and big chunks of salmon. Sauce was nicely spiced. My husband had tilapia, and he said it was among the best he's ever had. Two short blocks from the Curran theater, so we'll be returning for an encore dinner next month.Special Features:
- The food and service are veryOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/17/2012The food and service are very good and we had a delicious meal. The tables especially for two in the center of the restaurant are very close together and don't allow for good conversations. The tables for two by the window are better but you feel crowded and boxed in.Special Features:
- Real DealWinesnobDined on 8/2/2012The food brought a tear to my eye thining about mia nona. A Neighborhood gem for sure. Not the ambiance of a 5 star establishment but who cares the food was!!! By no means was the ambiance not good enough, it had the mom and pop feel. I will go again and again for the red sauce. Everything was home made not out sourced. I tip my hat to the chef.Special Features:
- Cesario's is cozy, friendlyHappyVIPDined on 7/28/2012Cesario's is cozy, friendly and just right for a quiet and casual dinner. The fish and pasta were delicious. The service was relaxed but professional and attentive. Try it! You'll like it.
- Great food and location.OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/14/2012Great food and location. Make sure to have reservations. It is a small place.Special Features:
- There are far better choicesBarryVIPDined on 7/9/2012There are far better choices in San Francisco, even within walking distance of this restaurant. I was seated at a table that was parallel within inches to the next table so their conversation was impossible not to hear and I assume vice versa. The food was OK but not very flavorful. Bright spot was the service but that is not a reason for me to return.
- A good choice for good italianFamilyFoodieDined on 7/7/2012A good choice for good italian cuisine near Union Square. The food was really good and our 10 yr old children really enjoyed a late night dinner there too.Special Features:
- Excellent food and even betterOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/7/2012Excellent food and even better service. The service staff was warm, friendly, and engaging. Very convenient location to Union Square and the Theater district. The 3 course meal and wine list were reasonably priced. A good value for the area.Special Features:
- Celebrated my 65th birthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/4/2012Celebrated my 65th birthday here with friends on 4 July, en route from New Zealand to Canada. Five of us had a very enjoyable evening. The food was very good and, as travellers, we were very pleased with both the quality and quantity of the vegetables served.
- Good Italian food. Veal wasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/19/2012Good Italian food. Veal was quite good. Vegetables were well prepared. I would prefer hard crust San Francisco french bread rather than the soft "white bread" style.Special Features:
- very accommadating. we wereOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/14/2012very accommadating. we were late and only had 1/2 hour before a show at the marines' memorial. they rushed to make our dinner which was very good. we had chicken marsala and veal piccata with our choice of risotto. we would definitely go back again.Special Features:
- Consistently good food andMsbtxVIPDined on 6/2/2012Consistently good food and service. Restaurant is very small and on the corner with windows looking out on sidewalks and streets.Special Features:
- the waiter was attentive,rosajeanDined on 5/31/2012the waiter was attentive, the food was enjoyed by everyone in my group, it's a bit of a small place, so I recommend arriving early in the evening.Special Features:
- We just wanted a snackOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/25/2012We just split a salad and pasta, penne alle mellanzane, but they were both excellent. The service was outstanding.Special Features:
- Great food. I had the chickenOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/19/2012Great food. I had the chicken parmesan and it was fantastic. The risotto that came on the side had a little to be desired. It was in a clump rather that the typical way risotto is served. I also had the caprese salad which was delcious. The place is very small but quaint, and the service was excellent.
- We took my parents there forGlobalTravelerNDinerVIPDined on 4/15/2012We took my parents there for their wedding anniversary. The restaurant did a good job in giving us a nice table with a view, which made my parents and my sister who is from out-of-town very happy. The food quality was mixed. The minestrone soup was very disappointing and tasted like it was just broiled water with some vegetables and pasta in it. I don't use much salt in my diet and appreciate the natural taste of my food. But that minestrone was the worst I have ever tasted. The swordfish was good but they seemed to have put too much sugar in the side vegetables. Overall it was still a pleasant experience to have spent time with my family even though the food wasn't as good as a few other Italian restaurants in SF.Special Features:
- Went for my b-day. Had neverOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/12/2012Went for my b-day. Had never heard of them before and LOVED it! Ia te everything on my plate.Special Features:
- I would not go back if youPamalotDined on 3/10/2012I would not go back if you paid me. The tomatoes they used on the salad were mealy, waxy, and inedible. If you want to charge $12 for a salad, get better quality produce. I ordered the veal parmigian for my entree. It was brought out cold and not edible, so I had to send it back. We ended up eating our entrees in shifts since it took so long to bring my fresh entree out that my partner finished his long before I received it. The service staff was not apologetic in the least and acted as if I was an inconvenience to them. Also, the wines by the glass are served in what amounts to an aperitif sized glass. They do have real wine goblets, but you only get those if you order a bottle of wine.
- GREAT TASTE, GREAT LOCATIONOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/2/2012I had not dined here in 5 or 6 years and didn't know what to expect after reading some of the negative reviews. Fortunately, I was not disappointed. The food was great and our server recommended an excellent wine - that was below my price point! The appetizers were particularly good with super fresh veggies and flavors that popped! We tried cups of both the clam chowder and minestrone soup and could not decide which was our favorite. A very cool restaurant on the corner of Bush and Mason that is great for people watching and a short walk from Union Square.Special Features:
- I stopped in and had a linguiniOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/28/2012I stopped in and had a linguini dish, which was cooked perfectly al dente. Really nice neighborhood-style restaurant.Special Features:
- Good but not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/25/2012This place was just OK. Food was average, tables really close together. Not awful but not outstanding either. Service was good. I had the paella, which...again was good...but not the best I've ever had or even really worth going back for. In San Francisco theatre district/Union Square area.
- Italiano done well!MomandnurseMilwaukeeVIPDined on 2/10/2012Great food, served quickly. Not much of a waiting area, but we got seats quickly.Special Features:
- We won't go backOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/28/2012The restaurant was extremely hot and stuffy. The waitress said that they couldn't open the windows for ventilation, because it would be too cold for the customers sitting right next to the open windows. We ordered an extra minestrone for my daughter, which they forgot to order. The waitress never came back to check on us, so she didn't know the extra soup never came. Our main course was extremely delayed, and I had to inquire with the manager. The waitress finally returned and explained that she was waiting for us to finish our extra soup which we never received and then she blamed the delay on their "new chef." The food arrived and it was good, but my order was wrong and the waitress never came back to check on us. We wont go back
- I'll be backOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/13/2012Menu selection was great and the food was very tasty. Waitress was very helpful and attentive. She really knew the menu and offered great recommendations. Tables are very close together, but wasn't a big deal.Special Features:
- We received great service.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/9/2012We received great service. Food was delicious. Not crowded or noisy for lunch so conversation was easy. Only downside is we were seated at a table where there was no room to move while many tables went empty - ask for a able apart from the others.Special Features:
- Good location and food.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/2/2012Good location in downtown/Union Square area, very pleasant atmosphere and friendly service. Not a touristy place. The food was quite good with nice presentation. The minestroni soup was one of the best I've had - even better than I can make! The wine was a bit pricey for what it was, but we found most wine lists in SF to be over-priced. I would re-visit Cesario's next time in SF.
- Consistently excellent for years!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/1/2012My family and I dine at Cesario's whenever we visit San Francisco. Alex's hospitality is top notch, all of the servers are outstanding. The menu boasts a lovely variety of upper scale traditional Italian fare, with each offering we have tried being delicious and freshly prepared. Cesario's is a sure bet each time!Special Features:
- A great place for an informalSteveyDined on 12/31/2011A great place for an informal meal before a show in the area.Special Features:
- A very nice place and isOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/25/2011A very nice place and is always open even on holidays. Have had some lovely meals here.Special Features:
- Always fresh and enjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/20/2011Always fresh and enjoyable without breaking the budget.Special Features:
- so so but okBob1VIPDined on 12/10/2011good food, good prices, good service--all in all a good deal for the price. Nothing fancy-in fact-very casual on a Sat night. Staff is freindly and competent. Handy place for a reasonably priced meal--not for special occasion or even a no so special occasion.Special Features:
- What reservation?OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/19/2011We made a last minute reservation using Open Table, and when we arrived at the restaurant we were told that there was no seating available. The host (owner?) then gave us a card for his other restaurant across the street, Persimmon something. We were very hungry by this time so we did go there, and it was not bad but certainly not what we were hoping for by making a reservation.
- food and service good. ambienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/12/2011food and service good. ambience was good with limited noise.
- very disapointing. the clamariOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/11/2011very disapointing. the clamari seemed not cooked and had a strange tomatoe sauce. I sent the dinner back and was still billed for it. Never again
- Great find, off of the beatenOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/5/2011Great find, off of the beaten path. Very authentic and quaint. The was well above average. We would go back again in a heartbeat.Special Features:
- This tiny place had the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/5/2011This tiny place had the best carpaccio in the city! Plus if you are looking for a light meal you can get a side of pasta!Special Features:
- Would definitely eat thereOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/22/2011Would definitely eat there again. Got seated by the open front window which added to the great atmosphere.
- Service was extremely slow.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/4/2011Service was extremely slow. Everything except water had to be tracked down. All tables had long wait times even to order. Food was average to below based on the dishes we ordered at our table.