601 Sutter St
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.nobhilldining.com/Cesarios/Welcome.htm
- Phone: 4154419898
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30AM- 4:00PM
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00PM - 10:00PM
Frdiay & Saturday: 4:00PM - 10:30PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Chef Henry
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Cafe, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine
- Catering: We offer a selected menu for all occasions. Please contact manager at 415-624-9142
- Private Party Facilities: 1 block from the Powell/Sutter Cable Car stop. #2 & #3 Muni Bus Stop.
- Private Party Contact: Alex 4156249142
A word from Cesario's
Since 1991 Cesario's has been serving fine Northern Italian food. Extensive global wine list. Close to theater district and Union Square.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cesario's reviews from OpenTable diners
18 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (8)romantic (6)special occasion (4)fit for foodies (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great food, service meh.Silvi1234Dined on 9/20/2014Our meal was delicious but we were greater with, " are you ready to order?". It took awhile for the waitress to come over and when she did she didn't mention the soup of the day or if we were interested in a drink, just are you ready to order. No personality at all. Several waitresses waited on us and some were more personable than others, but overall it left us with a bland feeling about the place.Special Features:
- Nob Hill GemMinnyDined on 9/10/2014Food was great. Wait staff worked as a team and were delightful individuals. Love the atmosphere of the restaurant.Special Features:
- MancinipeppersDined on 9/5/2014Nice, predictable neighborhood Italian restaurant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable FriendDougSDined on 8/27/2014We visit Cesario's on every trip in San Francisco. This time we had tickets to a nearby play, and were grateful for the prompt but not rushed service before the curtain. The food and wine were fine; we expect no less. We were happy to be back and will be back again.Special Features:
- Good Italian Food in central SFdabbertDined on 8/25/2014I visited as part of a Road Trip with my three teenage children. From the outside the restaurant doesn't quite look the part but inside it is quite cosy without being crowded by the tables around you. My OpenTable request to be seated at the window was honoured and the service was efficient. The food was more sophisticated / truly Italian than we experienced in more expensive places across the US (we are from Europe and regular visitors to the US) . Value for money is good, and you don't feel the pressure to 'hurry up and vacate your table for the next customers' that is so common to popular restaurants in major cities. Overall a very positive experience in an area (close to Union Square) that is riddled with over-priced tourist traps.Special Features:
- cozyKevinDined on 8/6/2014Didn't hold out reservation even though we were early (they sat people without reservations before us).
- Great Italian foodCmdlcdDined on 7/27/2014In spite of some negative comments we ate here because it was close to our hotel and we didn't want to walk far. We were pleased with our meals. The food isn't the best ever but it was VERY good. The tables are very close together and we saw one couple leave after being seated because there just wasn't enough space between their table and the one next to them. The service was a little lax but not enough for a bad review. To sum up - good food but be prepared for close quarters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old, worn, tired, boring, & untastyFabulousDined on 7/8/2014With so many good restaurants in San Francisco, why go here? I should ask myself. For some reason there were fairly good reviews on line, so, what the hey, I thought I'd give it a try. Nothing remotely inspirational about this tired place in the Marine Club building. The space would be a good setting for a 1950s restaurant, and the furniture doesn't look like it's been refurbished since then. The wait staff were young and pleasant, but the food was nearly tasteless. The crab cake appetizer was recommended. For what reason, I do not know. It was ground crabmeat, no texture, with very little flavor of any kind. While nothing was bad, nothing we tried was particularly good, either. The best I can offer is: it was filling. Explore elsewhere.
- Consistently great experienceBobbyDined on 6/26/2014Although the reviews I've read recently are up and down, we have had consistently great experience dining at Cesario. The food is well prepared with good variety on the menu and the staff works hard to give good service. Although the waiters were rushed on the most recent night we were there, they helped each other and got the job done. It is a great neighborhood restaurant, close to Union Square. The eggplant parmesan was delightful and the flourless chocolate cake awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cesario'sFoodieinSFDined on 6/10/2014We chose this restaurant because it was close to our hotel, had been there for many years and got good reviews on line. The service was nice. Friendly staff. The restaurant is very dated and the food is mediocre at best. I ordered the fist stew and the fish was tough and I had to put quite a bit of salt on it to add some flavor. I don't ever use salt. My husband ordered the meat lasagna. Very ordinary and not much meat in it. It was convenient for us to walk there but it is not a restaurant I would recommend. Great location and friendly staff though.
- Good food; very friendly servicebobinsfDined on 6/4/2014We arrived at the rsvn. time and were seated immediately. We were an early rsvn. so we were seated at a window seat as requested. Soon after all tables were full yet the noise level was low. It was a special occasion and I slyly asked for a piece of cheesecake with a candle, which was provided, and charged for, at the end of the meal. I will return.Special Features:
- The following 126 reviews are from the Cesario's reviews archive.
- Great FoodRLGrapesDined on 5/7/2014Food was great, service great and had a very enjoyable time. people on streets in front left much to be desired.Special Features:
- SusanLVIPDined on 4/26/2014Very convenient for Marines Memorial. Small restaurant - not as noisy as most! Food more than adequate, large portions.
- Great SF foodlagdenDined on 4/19/2014We eat here each time we visit SF. This is a gem of an eatery.Special Features:
- Great place!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/28/2014Our group of five met for dinner at Cesario's prior to an event at the Marine's Memorial theatre. It's the perfect location, the food was good and the service attentive without being overly present. This is a small restaurant, reservations (especially for a group) are highly recommended. I will make a point of repeating should I be in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great Italian RestaurantDexterDined on 2/14/2014This is a great restaurant; good food, good wine, good ambiance, and excellent service. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- quiet, relaxingRickjones012Dined on 2/8/2014Met friends before SketchFest event next door. Food was tasty and good portions. We shared dishes and I particularly likes the meat balls.finished off dinner with a nice glass of 20 year old port.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- booked for friends and they love ituncleDined on 1/21/2014we have been many times and always enjoy the food and atmosphere of this small place. we actually booked Cesario's for visiting friends who had been before. they were not disappointed as usual. wish we had been there too. but we all will be back.
- Not too impressedswissmissDined on 12/25/2013All I can say is that this restaurant didn't live up to the expectations in any respect.
- Disappointing VisitSingleTravelerDined on 12/24/2013I used to enjoy Cesario's on my visits to San Francisco. It appears that something has changed in the kitchen, and the food is now excessively spicy. I don't mind seasoning, but both dishes we had were way too peppery. I'm not planning to return.
- Really Went Down HillOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/22/2013This used to be a nice restaurant but my last experience was horrible. They recommended a Chianti to us and let us taste it and it was horrible but she said they would not reimburse us for the bottle. When we asked "then why do you let us taste it first" the waitress only said "sorry." I would definitely not go back here again.
- ok, but nothing specialInLACAVIPDined on 12/17/2013Based on reviews we read we decided to try this place our first night in SF. The food was ok, but noting really special. the seating area is small and so ok, but not super comfortable
- Make reservations AND be prepared tStFamilyDined on 12/14/2013I made reservations for our dinner only to be told that our table wasn't ready, and that it would be a 15-20 minute wait. Finally after 30 minutes, we were seated. the meal was good and so was the service, but there was no apology or offer of compensation for the late seating.Special Features:
- Our reservations were lost . . .FrustratedSFDinerDined on 12/14/2013My husband and I were treating friends to the theater in SF on a busy Saturday night, so I booked reservations at Cesario's via Open Table. The traffic was at a standstill near Union Square, so I called to advise the restaurant that we would be about 10 minutes late. The man who answered the phone was rude, unhelpful, and said he didn't see any reservation for us -- even though I had received an email confirmation. He did not instill any confidence in us that he would try to seat us when we arrived, so we went to Belden Alley instead. Even though the food and ambiance looked nice on the website, my friends and I agreed that we would not give it a second chance due to the host's phone manner.
- Holiday TraditionOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/14/2013We love this cozy Italian restaurant! We meet my sister and her husband in SF every year in mid-December. We 've tried many other restaurants, but we always come back to Cesario's. The food is fabulous. My favorite is risotto, regardless of the choice of the day. The chef is flexible and will prepare any pasta dish with any type sauce. Remember dessert...pumpkin cheesecake and creme brulee must be tried!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A night at the TheaterTheatergoerDined on 12/13/2013We were running late and made reservations at Cesarios on the way to the city, hoping to get a meal in before the show. Parking was a breeze as the spaces become available at 6, the restaurant's ambience was great- Italian/SF (we are from Marin). We sat in the corner table. They understood we had a timeline and got our orders in quickly. Family of 4,no kids menu but they ordered a pasta each and loved them (10 & 12), we had an appetizer of bruschetta which was delicious! Enjoyed our meal, walked to show for a 7pm show without feeling rushed. We ordered very fast but they rest was relaxed and they were very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tried it because menu lookedOldManDined on 12/8/2013Tried it because menu looked good and it is right next door to Marines' Memorial Theater where we had gone for a show. All 6 of us enjoyed our food - my loved her lamb shank -- and would recommend the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I said they did not have ourken1VIPDined on 12/7/2013I said they did not have our reseravtion so we could not eat there. We had our confirmation.
- open tabledisappointedVIPDined on 12/7/2013I booked through Open Table - but did not receive an e-mail confirmation. When I tried to re-book to be sure I had the reservation, it said an existing reservation was on file within two hours of my request. Upon arriving at the restaurant, they had no record of my reservation, but were kind enough to work us in even through they were crowed. This has happened to me on my last two uses of Open Table. I may stop using this service even though i like the ease of the system - when it works.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CozyLetitrainDined on 12/6/2013Great Italian food. Sauces are not over-bearing and salty. Coziest restaurant when raining. Can watch the rain outside. A bit close seating for private conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal, special spotWeekendinSFDined on 11/15/2013My friend and I ate here during a weekend trip to SF. We enjoyed a great meal. The service was friendly and prompt. It is not the fanciest or most gourmet Italian restaurant in SF, but just perfect to relax and refresh at the end our day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad Wine and Bad Seating5starfoodieDined on 11/9/2013I had made a pre-theatre reservation and, instead of given a reserved table set aside near the windows, was seated at a two-seater table in the middle of the restaurant. This wouldn't have been so great a sin if we had not been, essentially, seated with another couple at another two-seater table with about 1/2 in between our tables. We were having dinner with total strangers! When they left, another elderly couple came and sat down and the bodily noises coming out of the gentleman were gross. We weren't up for a full bottle of wine, so I ordered two glasses of cabernet. The wine was vinegar! I sent it back and ordered two glasses of shiraz instead. After I sent the wine back, the service went completely downhill.
- chinese italianOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 11/8/2013We arrived on time but our table would not be ready for close to an hour as the extremely rude and dismissive hostess claimed she hasn't received the reservation yet. Some of the food was decent but they screwed up some of the orders. The food was fair but the service made it all so forgettable except for our reception for which there was no excuse.
- this was good - they knew1rpbDined on 10/20/2013this was good - they knew we had to go to the theater, and didn't seem to help us leave in a timely manner. we had an 1 1/2 hours.Special Features:
- neighborhood gemJumboDined on 10/17/2013this was a last minute choice but glad we decoded to eat there. Nice family owned, neighborhood feel. Good food, friendly atmosphere, reasonably priced. I'd return.Special Features:
- ConvenientGoodLocationDined on 10/17/2013This restaurant is in a great location if you are staying in the Union Square area. It's easy to walk to. Nice atmosphere. Food is good and reasonably priced. Decor is fitting for an Italian Restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre at best...JimnPaulVIPDined on 10/11/2013My expectations are much higher for an Italian restaurant in San Francisco. The service was terrible and it's apparent that the owner is trying to keep his labor costs low. There wasn't a single server that appeared to be over the age of 25, hence lacking experience of great service. We had four different ladies ask to take our order, so organization is clearly lacking. The food is mediocre at best. The salmon was limp and soggy, but should have rather had a nice sear on the outside to showcase the flavor. The lady next to us received a thin piece of swordfish that you could have played Frisbee with. We could have had a better meal and service at the Olive Garden (the McDonald's of Italian Food). I'm very sorry we wasted our time and money.
- We try to visit Cesario'sDinerVIPDined on 10/9/2013We try to visit Cesario's on each trip we take to San Francisco. The food has always been excellent; prepared just right and very tasty. That was still true when we made this visit. However, for the first tine we found ourselves somewhat disappointed by the service. As we had made reservations we expected to be seated in a reasonably comfortable table. However, we found ourselves crowded into a table in a corner with little room to place our legs comfortably under the table. More disappointing however was the time it took to serve us. We were seated, given a bread basket, and pretty much ignored for almost 15 minutes. Once we actually received service, it continued at the level to which we had become accustomed on our previous visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This Place Is GREAT!!!GuenevereVIPDined on 9/18/2013Fantastic food! Pasta dishes are exceptional! Definitely order espresso and dessert too! Wait staff is very knowledgable and friendly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Alway a packed houseFriendsGettingTogetherDined on 9/16/2013Very tiny place. Service was very good, but was suprised the people didn't fall all over each other. Walked by a few times while visiting S.F. and it was always packed, but got a table one night. My part had the veal marsala and said it was good. I had the pork chops and really didn't care for it.Special Features: