Après Ski Chalet at Café Select
212 Lafayette St.
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Après Ski Chalet at Café Select
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://cafeselectnyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 925-9322
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily: 7:00pm - 12:00pm
- Payment Options: Cash Only
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Ingrid Roethele
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Full Bar, Private Room
- Private Party Facilities: If you would like to book our backroom exclusively for a private event please contact us.
- Private Party Contact: Tizia Sertimer 2129259322x
A word from Après Ski Chalet at Café Select
Welcome to our Après Ski Chalet at Café Select open everyday from 7 pm. In the winter months we serve Fondue & Raclette in our cozy backroom alpine lodge behind our kitchen. We also offer our regular menu items. We generally have two seatings (7pm and 9 pm). Unfortunately due to our current POS system we temporarily can only take cash.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Après Ski Chalet at Café Select reviews from OpenTable diners
5 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (4)fit for foodies (3)romantic (2)kid-friendly (1)hot spot (1)late-night find (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- RandHDined on 10/10/2014Great speakeasy style place to bring friends for dinner plus cocktails, but be sure to book!Special Features:
- marvelousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014Fantastic place, cool people, high food quality and great servive. Nice priceSpecial Features:
- The following 21 reviews are from the Après Ski Chalet at Café Select reviews archive.
- Fab FondueJeanDined on 4/12/2014I saw Ina Garten (Barefoot Contessa) dine at this establishment and knew I wanted to eat here. I was not disappointed with the food. It was delicious. The only down side to this back restaurant is it only accepts cash while the front restaurant takes credit cards and both serve the same menu minus the fondue. I would definitely recommend this place to friends and familySpecial Features:
- A hiden gem well woth traveling 1.5OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/5/2014A hidden gem, one of a kind feature being the fondue, seated in a fabulous atmosphere. It all works and works well. Service is very good, but our waitress was not quite familiar with all the drink ingredients and by listening to the table next to us, didn't seam she understood their question about the food being vegetarian. I saw this aired on Barefoot Contessa and its exactly as aired, not made up special for her. Its a nice cozy, casual setting that you would want to stay for hours. I'd return numerous time to try more menu items. Overall the menu looks outstanding and authentic, Well priced too !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WONDERFULKainnaVIPDined on 4/4/2014My best friend & I celebrated her birthday here, it was a last minute Open Table find but I'm so happy this is was my final pick. We dined in the intimate & charming back room. It was really fun walking through the kitchen, it felt special & very Narnia-like. The portions were good, the food was delicious, especially the fondue, the female table servers were super nice & very attentive but the Maitre'D & kitchen staff could be friendlier & restroom needs air freshener. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Hidden FondueOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/22/2014Great spot for a first date if you are looking to impress. This wasn't a first date but my wife and I still enjoyed it after our decade of being together. The white truffle fondue is very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good fondue, awful settingLT11VIPDined on 2/21/2014When I got to Cafe Select, I was sort of excited to walk through the restaurant and on into the kitchen. Just beyond was the door to the other small dining room where I was to enjoy some good fondue. I was excited to see what felt like something hidden and secret. I was so disappointed to walk into a room that felt like it was once a bad college bar. The tables were cheap, the decor felt hurried, and overall it was like eating in a very large storage room. The food was good and I am happy to say they have quite a few very good vegetarian options. The wine, however, wasn't worth the calories. Overall, I don't think i'll be going back.
- Very cozy nice place withNormandbDined on 2/15/2014Very cozy nice place with great decor and good food. I'll definitely be back and will still try to get into the après ski chalet. The cheese fondue is exquisiteSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, but oversold our tableevanm11VIPDined on 2/7/2014This restaurant is fantastic. Cute place with great decor and good food and drinks. The only negative to this dining experience was that even after confirming our reservation day of, the restaurant overbooked the "après ski" room which was the reason we reserved at this restaurant and sat us in the main dining area even though we arrived 30 minutes prior to our reservation. They did comp every guest at my table 1 drink as an apology and we're very nice about the entire situation. Outside of that, great place, I'll definitely be back and will still try to get into the après ski chalet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best fondue everFoodmonsterDined on 1/11/2014The chef Ingrid is a total goddess and makes the best german and Swiss food I've ever had. And that includes The times I've been in both those countries. Her cheese fondue is exquisite and I'd highly recommend her brown beer fondue special. Also, if it's available, her charcuterie plate is delicious and her apple strudel can only be defined as definitive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So-SoMaggieDined on 12/17/2013The secret backroom was exciting to go to, but my friend and I were the only ones there! It only has 3 tables so it was pretty quiet. The food is over priced and its cash only.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Play with your foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/30/2013How much fun can dinner be. The ambiance made for an instant party!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Swiss FondueOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/24/2013My girlfriend and I are both from Switzerland and from time to time have a craving for authentic Swiss cusisine. Cafe Select delivers great food everytime and the truffle fondue we had was truly excellent. The only criticism we have is that the back room, all tough nicely decorated, is way too cold. The main dining room provides a much better Fonduestübli experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- romantic Verbier fondue hideawayAtematicVIPDined on 2/14/2013couldnt have picked a better spot for Valentine's with my fiancee. she felt like she was in Verbier and all we needed was a cab to get there. the small room felt like a secret tucked behind the kitchen, and was full of attractive couples and a great seventies mix, warm staff, and hot delicious fondue. loved it!Special Features:
- A-ok, but not coming back ..OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 1/1/2013One thing you should know for sure upfront: this place is OVERPRICED! I don't mean its fancy or dressy, to the contrary; you pay Armani prices at a pub. This doesn't mean that the main restaurant factors are missing: Main speciality -and the reason I was there- Cheese Fondue, was amazing. Try the Truffle Oil Fondue, it was good, comprable to the ones I usually get at the real Ski Chalets in St.Moritz. But at $24 PP, not really worth it. Service was attentive, put up with request to change seat - but were seated next to the door with cold wind blowing towards us. All in all, if you've never had Fondoue or get a very very bad craving for it, then its worth the visit. Otherwise, not the best choice for a dining exerience.Special Features:
- A great place to gather withAurelieDined on 11/9/2012A great place to gather with friends around a cheese fondue which is absolutely delicious.
- A funky oyster spotMrsJVIPDined on 7/6/2012Tiny space in the back of another restaurant is uniquely equipped w variety of oysters and decent wine list. Ambiance is a groovy old submarine. Can get noisy w ppl there only for drinks. Octopus salad was small but good flavor, but the ceviche was great. Strange to be able to get Swiss-German dishes w oysters, but can be good. Cash only.
- The cocktails are fantastic.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/5/2012The cocktails are fantastic. Amongst the best in the city.Special Features:
- Schnitzel like a bootOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/29/2012Server and scene was great; however, my friend summed it best by comparing the food with eating "an old boot."Special Features:
- This spot is actually hiddenOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/13/2012This spot is actually hidden in the back of the restaurant, through the kitchen! It's a fun surprise if you or your guests aren't expecting it! I came here during the winter when it was fondue and it was amazing. The serving is huge and very filling with a salad appetizer. Our waitress was great but also left us alone which gave it a fun, private feel. I'm not an oyster person but I will definitely return for fondue in the winter.Special Features:
- Way too overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/24/2012Overpriced for what it is. We ordered the raclette and they forgot to give us pearl onions and vegetables. There wasn't enough raclette cheese and the cheese was not aged at all like the traditional type to be served this waySpecial Features:
- Our waitress, Magka, was outstandinOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 2/12/2012Our waitress, Magka, was outstanding! I would go to any restaurant at which she works!
- The fondue room was great;OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/14/2012The fondue room was great; however, having the employees come in and out with trash from the kitchen, kind of ruined the ambiance. We believe that the back door being opened constantly caused our fondue to clump up at the end. Cafe Select is a great place, and we had fondue in the restaurant the first visit, which is why we didn't understand the need to create a "Fondue Room".